Affordable dev board with extras incl. built-in HD camera

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Lamobo

Affordable dev board with extras incl. built-in HD camera

#1 Post by Lamobo »

Hey everyone,

New to the forum, but wanted to grab some hardware-related feedback about this new dev board we’ve just come out with!

It’s called the Lamobo D-1, and the idea behind it was to make a board that was as portable and affordable as possible while still packing it full of multi-media features, namely an HD camera and hefty built-in storage capacity.

Our favorite part though, is that like the Raspberry Pi, it’s a Linux board, so if you’re not a big Arduino fan or you’re particularly comfortable with Linux, it’s a great board to work with. Unlike the RP, though, it’s affordable and already comes with the cool accessories.

Anyway, we’re really eager to know what the Linux and development community think of the D-1, so we’d love any feedback you guys have, thanks!

Here’s the site (still in Chinese now, English one will be up soon!), specs and a few pictures:

http://www.lamobo.org/

Product Name
Lamobo-D1
Product Size
PCB 36x36mm,
CPU
400MHz ARM926EJ 32Bits RISC Core
RAM
64MB DDR2
Flash
16MB SPI-FLASH
Storage
Internal Micro SD Card,Supports 8/16/32GB TF Card;
Camera
HM1375 1.3M 1/4" CMOS Image Sensor SoC
30FPS@720P
Video
1280x720p_30fps H.264/MJPEG Hardware Coding。 448MB/Hour Video Recording,16GB TF Card w/ 35.7 Hours Video Capacity
Audio
MIDI/MP3/WMA/AAC/AAC+/Speech
WIFI
Internal RTL8188EUS WiFi Module, Supports 802.11bgn, Switchable Master/Slave Modes
RTC
Internal RTC Circuit,Supports OSD Functionality.
PM
Internal AXP173 Power Source and Microchip,Supports Smart Lithium Battery Recharging.
Mic
Fixed Internal Microphone/
Speaker
Audio Driver with Transmission Functionality
Power Consumption
Recording: 5V-200mA;
WiFi On: 5V-350mA;
Uses 10000mAH Portable Power Source, Capable of Recording 24 Consecutive Hours of HD 720p Video or Audio.
GPIO
Leads to 8 Multiplexed GPIO Leads, 4GPIO/2PWM/1UART or 5GPIO/3PWM.

Internal I2C Control CMOS and Power Source IC;
UART
Independent UART Debugging Interface;
USB
Independent USB Programming Interface;
DC IN
Single +5V Cable Input;
Battery
3.7V Lithium Battery Outlet
OS
Linux3.4.35, Kernel Source Code Level and Above, with Customizable Development

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

My immediate response, from what's posted here... I realize this is well out of R&D but I have a few suggestions...

(1) I would add a secondary storage interface such as SATA. Not many people are going to want to be restricted to 32gb of space without using a cavernous flash drive... and cavernous flash drives are expensive, whereas a SATA platter drive of about ten times the max size of the microSD / TF card can be had for quite cheap indeed.

(2) No VGA. Booooooooooo hissssssssssss. Sorry, I don't have any HDMI-capable displays in my house, and I'm not going to any time soon -- I simply can't afford them, and I cannot and will not even attempt to justify the expense of a $100+ monitor for a computer that costs half that much. I'll do without both. No, using an eBay HDMI->VGA adapter doesn't count. VGA may be obsolescent but it's not gone yet by any means -- it's still extraordinarily popular, and if you aren't compatible with it then I, for one, probably won't buy your tech... and I know I'm not alone ;)

(3) This one's not really for R&D. Puppy doesn't have much in the way of ARM support yet, but if you want to try and Puppify that thing, PM jamesbond on this forum and arrange for him to get one of those contraptions, either at a discount or on the house -- he is developing a Pup called FatDogARM which supports that architecture -- it's currently in beta, but the more devices that jamesbond has, the more devices he can port FatDogARM to...

(4) Good luck with your sales...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Also, how about some free samples for Puppy developers to try out?

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

Hello.

I'm in total agreement with starhawk, especially his #1 and #2. No logical person will buy
a 35 $ ARM Raspberry or whatever and then spend 200 $ on a new monitor specially
for it...

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)