Icons drives from Desktop disappears when unplug USB device

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
marcos90

Icons drives from Desktop disappears when unplug USB device

#1 Post by marcos90 »

Puppy Linux Precise latest version

This problem only happens when I unplug USB External Drive like dvd drive .
Other devices like USB pen drive won't happen any problem .

I've tried all the methods like using Pmount to mount optical drive and before unplug I unmount . But even after this steps , it still disappearing with the desktop itens . Also I've tried " Refresh Desktop" option , it work for some seconds , but disappears again .

To retrieve the icons , I need to reboot the system .

I'm start to think that the problem may reside in the USB external device , its one of that IDE-SATA-USB converter cable .

metastasis69

#2 Post by metastasis69 »

I experience same things on the latest Slacko 5.7. I end up on restarting my machine or find it on my /mnt folder. I can't find all the active drive on the directory.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I'm not sure why Puppy even shows the device if it doesn't have a CD or DVD in it. As I understand it, Linux only "sees" filesystems. So I'd assume that a device such as a CD or DVD drive, that doesn't have a disk in it that has a recognizable file-system on it, won't be seen.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have also seen this disappearing icon bug with a USB optical drive in Slacko 56. But it only happens on one machine and it doesn't always happen.

Sometimes if I wait a while before unplugging the optical drive, the other device icons will stay.

Strange.