Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 02:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
The future of Carolina
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
rg66

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan 2014, 23:18    Post subject: Re: I use carolina and love xfce  

Pete22 wrote:
I did not see the survey.

The poll got screwed up and it couldn't be fixed. Rather than start a new thread we are going by user feedback instead.

Thanks for the support.

can8v

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 00:26    Post subject:  

I have been using Puppy off and on since 2005? I have been quite sad to see a few of the projects dropped over the years, but understand that people have a life to live. At any rate the past couple years I have had to use Win 7 almost daily in the course of homeschooling my kids, as I couldn't get my choice of software to run in Linux (Switched on Schoolhouse). Now that I am no longer homeschooling I have gone back to using Saluki 023 almost exclusively. I was looking for a new version of Puppy to use that better meets my needs when I ran across this thread. I am going to tryout Lina1.1 and give it a go, but honestly it seems obvious that there are plenty of people happily using Carolina, this is one area that there is always room for improvement. I say if you have the time Carolina 1.2 would be a can't miss.
P.S. The main reason I am moving on from Saluki is that it is no longer being developed.
Tman

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan 2014, 00:53    Post subject:  

I realize that it would take a tremendous amount of time and energy,
but if you could base future versions of Carolina on something newer, such as Slacko or Upup Raring, or a 64-bit pup, then that would be a fantastic achievement.

The main problem I have with Carolina as it is now, is that it is based on Racy which contains a lot of outdated libraries, thus making it more difficult, sometimes almost impossible to compile new apps for it.

I do not really use XFCE as my main desktop environment, but I having said that, it would be my "desktop of choice" for newbies and the average user, since it is the easiest Linux Desktop Environment to learn to use (in my opinion). It is the only Desktop Environment for Linux that I know of where one can drag icons from the menu to the desktop, and from the menu to the taskbar. Someone plz let me know, if there is another Linux DE that can do that... if it can, I am thinking that it is more bloated than XFCE.

XFCE is not the lightest DE around, but it's definately lighter than Windows XP. The pic below is info I found on Wikipedia. From those calculations, 90.71 of computer users run either Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.

My point is, most computer users out there are running systems that can handle Windows XP or higher, so if they can handle Windows XP, then they can definately handle XFCE.
Computer_OS_usage.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   25.37 KB
 Viewed   549 Time(s)

Computer_OS_usage.jpg

rg66

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jan 2014, 05:31    Post subject:  

@ Tman

Geoffrey and I have discussed it before and we've come to the conclusion that starting from scratch with a newer puppy is just too much work. One of the best things about lina is a dedicated repo and recompiling hundreds of packages is a deal breaker.

If you want an Xfce distro with newer glibc then try X-precise or X-slacko, they are basically the same as lina but without the advantage of a dedicated repo.

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jan 2014, 07:50    Post subject: Carolina will be updated to version 1.2  

Due to the overwhelming response Laughing we will be updating Carolina in the not to distant future.

hopefully it should remain around the same size ISO, if there is something that you feel it should have that isn't already catered for, please make some suggestions and we will see what we can do.

rokytnji

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jan 2014, 22:07    Post subject:  

Well since you mentioned it.

http://code.google.com/p/inxi/wiki/Installation

It is only 1 text file. I use it on all my linux installs. It even gives weather besides system info and even does a

Code:
inxi --recommends
inxi will now begin checking for the programs it needs to operate. First a check of
the main languages and tools inxi uses. Python is only for debugging data collection.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bash version: 4.2.45(1)-release
Gawk version: 4.0.1
Sed version:
Sudo version: 1.8.8
Python version: 2.7.6
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test One: Required System Directories.
If one of these system directories is missing, inxi cannot operate:

Required file system: /proc................................................. Present
Required file system: /sys.................................................. Present

All the required directories are present.
Test Two: Required Core Applications.
If one of these applications is missing, inxi cannot operate:

Required application: df (info: partition data)............................. /bin/df
Required application: gawk (info: core tool)................................ /usr/bin/gawk
Required application: grep (info: string search)............................ /bin/grep
Required application: lspci (info: hardware data)........................... /usr/bin/lspci
Required application: ps (info: process data)............................... /bin/ps
Required application: readlink.............................................. /bin/readlink
Required application: sed (info: string replace)............................ /bin/sed
Required application: tr (info: character replace).......................... /usr/bin/tr
Required application: uname (info: kernel data)............................. /bin/uname
Required application: uptime................................................ /usr/bin/uptime
Required application: wc (info: word character count)....................... /usr/bin/wc

All the required applications are present.
Test Three: Script Recommends for Graphics Features. If you do not use X these do not matter.
If one of these applications is missing, inxi will have incomplete output:

Recommended X application: glxinfo (info: -G glx info)...................... /usr/bin/glxinfo
Recommended X application: xdpyinfo (info: -G multi screen resolution)...... /usr/bin/xdpyinfo
Recommended X application: xprop (info: -S desktop data).................... /usr/bin/xprop
Recommended X application: xrandr (info: -G single screen resolution)....... /usr/bin/xrandr

All the recommended applications are present.
Test Four: Script Recommends for Remaining Features.
If one of these applications is missing, inxi will have incomplete output:

Recommended application: dmidecode (info: -M if no sys machine data)........ /usr/sbin/dmidecode
Recommended application: file (info: -o unmounted file system).............. /usr/bin/file
Recommended application: hddtemp (info: -Dx show hdd temp).................. /usr/bin/hddtemp
Recommended application: ifconfig (info: -i ip lan-deprecated).............. /sbin/ifconfig
Recommended application: ip (info: -i ip lan)............................... /bin/ip
Recommended application: sensors (info: -s sensors output).................. /usr/bin/sensors
Recommended application: lsusb (info: -A usb audio;-N usb networking)....... /usr/bin/lsusb
Recommended application: modinfo (info: -Ax,-Nx module version)............. /sbin/modinfo
Recommended application: runlevel (info: -I runlevel)....................... /sbin/runlevel
Recommended application: sudo (info: -Dx hddtemp-user;-o file-user)......... /usr/bin/sudo

All the recommended applications are present.
Test Five: System Directories for Various Information.
If one of these directories is missing, inxi will have incomplete output:

System directory: /sys/class/dmi/id (info: -M system, motherboard, bios).... Present
System directory: /dev (info: -l,-u,-o,-p,-P,-D disk partition data)........ Present
System directory: /dev/disk/by-label (info: -l,-o,-p,-P partition labels)... Present
System directory: /dev/disk/by-uuid (info: -u,-o,-p,-P partition uuid)...... Present
System directory: /var/run/dmesg.boot (info: -C,-f (BSD only)).............. Missing

The following directories are missing from your system:
Directory: /var/run/dmesg.boot
These directories are created by the kernel, so don't worry if they are not present.
All tests completed.

Code:
 #inxi -wxx
Weather:   Conditions: 45 F (7 C) - Clear Wind: From the WSW at 33 MPH Gusting to 44 MPH Humidity: 31%
           Pressure: 29.82 in (1010 mb) Time: January 4, 7:16 PM MST (America/Denver)

Takes up hardly no space , 370K. Up to you guys as always. I know how to install for myself if I want it.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jan 2014, 23:17    Post subject:  

rokytnji wrote:
Well since you mentioned it.

http://code.google.com/p/inxi/wiki/Installation

It is only 1 text file. I use it on all my linux installs. It even gives weather besides system info and even does a

Code:
 #inxi -wxx
Weather:   Conditions: 45 F (7 C) - Clear Wind: From the WSW at 33 MPH Gusting to 44 MPH Humidity: 31%
           Pressure: 29.82 in (1010 mb) Time: January 4, 7:16 PM MST (America/Denver)

I found a copy of this and tried it, it informed me that hddtemp binary was missing, so that will be addresses, I couldn't get it to work with -wxx, that isn't a option with version 1.8.4-1, or am I doing something wrong.

Edit: As inxi needs Python we can't include it in the ISO, but I can add it to the repo for those that want it.

rokytnji

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan 2014, 12:35    Post subject:  

Quote:
I couldn't get it to work with -wxx, that isn't a option with version 1.8.4-1, or am I doing something wrong.

Code:
inxi -U

Let it finish. Then try inxi -wxx again. Your version is a old version. When I install the most current inxi in my puppy installs. All I need to do is

Code:
  cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/inxi && chmod +x inxi

Make sure the man pages made it. If not

Code:
inxi -U

To double make sure the man pages made it with the install.
Thanks for checking it out Geoffry. If you notice in my earlier post
a few posts up, previous page top post. inxi works OK in Carolina 1.1 without me installing
python right out of the box.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=747069#747069

I show inxi -wxx working in Carolina in the above thread. That day the airport server was down so the XFCE taskbar weather applet was giving a no data error that day.
It worked the next day (the weather applet) after they brought their server back on line.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan 2014, 22:00    Post subject:  

@ rokytnji

Ok I have it updated and it works, I should read more.
Quote:
inxi --recommends
inxi will now begin checking for the programs it needs to operate. First a check of
the main languages and tools inxi uses. Python is only for debugging data collection.

I tried this weather code, but it don't work for me here,
Code:
# inxi -wxx
Weather:   Weather data failure: Mon Jan  6 10:27:08 EST 2014
           Error: location downloaded but data contains no xml.

but it does work with this, so it's a goer
Code:
# inxi -W Brisbane,QLD
Weather:   Conditions: 60 F (16 C) - Partly Cloudy Time: January 5, 6:10 PM PST

I made a package, that places it in /usr/bin/inxi and /usr/share/man/man1/inxi.1.gz, Carolina avoids using /usr/local

I've uploaded inxi-1.9.17.pet to the repo.

Moat

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jan 2014, 22:46    Post subject: Re: Carolina will be updated to version 1.2  

Geoffrey wrote:
Due to the overwhelming response Laughing we will be updating Carolina in the not to distant future.

YaY!! That's good to hear - it really is an outstanding Pup! I'll do my best to spread the word about it's excellence to any potential users I happen to run across. Excellent work, gentlemen - thankyou for your efforts!

Bob
GMBudwrench

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 04:55    Post subject:  Just my 2 cents worth  

I just finally got around to trying out Lina 1.0 and may I say Wow! I always download a puplet here and there, got a ton of them, but most of the time, I never try them. I took advantage of some spare time to try some that I had and when I came across Lina, I was hooked. I love the polished look of it. Lots of foreign apps and controls, but as I read in a prior post, it wasn't anything hard to pick up. I have 1.1 on download queue and am eagerly awaiting 1.2. It is now my favorite and I hope you guys keep it coming. Thanks for your hard work on this, it is appreciated!
amigo

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 06:13    Post subject:  

"Carolina avoids using /usr/local" Congratulations! Nice to see someone doing any little ol' thing right...
can8v

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2014, 01:59    Post subject:  

I have a suggestion, but it will take a bigger brain than mine to pull it off. I suggested it in the main users category, years ago, but nobody could figure it out then or just didn't have time for it. At any rate it would be more valuable now, as Carolina come with LibreOffice. The Windows version of Open Office has always allowed for installing just Writer or just Calc or Say Writer, Calc and Impress, but not Draw and Base. A sort of Ala Cart decision when you run the install script. To my knowledge this has never been available in Linux. In Linux you simple install the entire office suite or none of it. Well the vast majority of people only use Writer and sometimes Calc. Only a small percentage use impress. Even fewer use Base and Draw. It would be nice if Carolina only had to come with Writer and Calc and the rest served up as PET packages. For years when given a choice I would install Abi and Gnumeric over Writer and Calc despite Writer and Calc's obvious superiority, because I didn't want to install the entire office suite to get them. Now I have plenty of resources and it isn't as big of a deal for me, but I imagine among many people using Puppy, that is still a big deal. For me just because I have the resources doesn't mean I want to waste them and if I could install Writer and Calc without the others I would. Whether this can be done, I don't know, but I think it should be done and if I could figure it out I would have a long time ago.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2014, 05:30    Post subject:  

@ can8v

Going by what I read HERE, it's not much of a benefit if it could be done, this bit in that link caught my attention
Quote:
As an example removing all "programs" except for Writer from 3.6.0.2 reduced the install folder from 361Mb to 338Mb (23Mb = 6% reduction!)

The main reason I felt that LibreOffice should be added is that my granddaughter was doing a high school assignment that required database, Cal and presentation, she was able to do all that in Puppy, so it is worth retaining.

rg66

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:20    Post subject:  

Just an FYI

Carolina-1.2 is underway and should be available in the next week or two.

Some things we are going to implement will be changing distro name, sfs and save file names to differentiate between the 3 versions. Carolina will stay the same but Carolite as an example will now have adrv_carolite_1.2.sfs, zdrv_carolite_1.2.sfs, puppy_carolite_1.2.sfs and carolitesave.4fs. Non-pae will also change.

Page 3 of 4 [47 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: