The future of Carolina

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rokytnji

#16 Post by rokytnji »

I use it and sold my 2 eeepcs with it also. You don't get any feedback from me because your repos are just fine and dandy by me. I don't post many "help me" posts on this or any linux forum that I am a distro team member
of. My team mate buddies help me out when I bleat like a sheep.

I use various puppies from Carolina, GuyDog, Macpup, Diamond, Slack0, MyWolfe, etc, and what ever else
I can get my greasy biker fingers on.

Code: Select all

biker@biker-laptop:~/Isos$ ls
Rexbang Puppy
So yeah, I use it. I just usually figure out my issues on my own.
I hosted puppeee downloads on my own cloud service till someone
else took over the reins so I try and do my small parts for my fellow
kennel pack bros.

I am more of a Walmart greeter than a coder though. But i can cruise through the linux file system OK and I keep a pastebin account for what
I can't remember.

Besides. It just runs good

Code: Select all

# inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: puppypc13232 Kernel: 3.2.13-ski i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.3.4) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.10.0 (Gtk 2.24.8) Distro: Carolina Linux Linux 3.2.13-ski [ arch]
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 6075BHU version: ThinkCentre M57
           Mobo: LENOVO model: LENOVO Bios: LENOVO version: 2RKT41AUS date: 03/20/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 7185.46 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1800.00 MHz 2: 1800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.org: 1.11.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: vesa) tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci ver: 2.3.0 bus-ID: 11:0c.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 1.5.1-k port: 1820 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: (2320.5GB,5.9% used) () 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD3200AAKS size: 320.1GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST2000DM001 size: 2000.4GB 
Partition: ID: swap-1 size: 1.07GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 115 Uptime: 58 min Memory: 303.9/3753.4MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A 
           Client: Shell (bash 3.00.16) inxi: 1.9.17 
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.387 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.000 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.000 FPS
Last edited by rokytnji on Sun 29 Dec 2013, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

Moat

#17 Post by Moat »

After about two years playing around with various Puppies, I finally got around to downloading and trying Carolina 1.1 in the last few days... this is an outstanding Puppy! Might even become my #1.

XFCE is a really good looking, complete, smooth and responsive DE. And somewhat surprisingly, Carolina so far appears to be the least CPU intensive Pup I've tried - even with desktop effects/composting enabled and Pwidgets running, it's idling at 0-1% on this old Dell Optiplex GX620 (Pentium D @ 3.2Ghz), where a half-dozen other Pups typically idle at 3-6%. Excellent!

Very impressive, so far - great work, guys! Fast, full-featured, and it seems everything "just works" OOTB. 8) Would love to see it live on...

mikeslr

Long Live Carolina

#18 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Geoffrey, rg66 and all,

I explore lots of Pups, prefer lxde to xfce, but when I package a Pup to give to someone else it's Carolina because:
xfce+thunar is easier for window refugees to emigrate to than jwm + rox;
the ease of customization once xfce is figured out > not difficult, just different;
the abundance of applications;
the stability of the OS and applications > which is why the Carolina discussion thread isn't more active with posters expressing problems and complaints.

mikesLr

Marv

Re: Long Live Carolina

#19 Post by Marv »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Geoffrey, rg66 and all,

I explore lots of Pups, prefer lxde to xfce, but when I package a Pup to give to someone else it's Carolina because:
xfce+thunar is easier for window refugees to emigrate to than jwm + rox;
the ease of customization once xfce is figured out > not difficult, just different;
the abundance of applications;
the stability of the OS and applications > which is why the Carolina discussion thread isn't more active with posters expressing problems and complaints.

mikesLr
Exactly :!: The well oiled machine neither squeaks nor elicits squeaks.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

slenkar

#20 Post by slenkar »

I just booted the live CD of 1.1 it would not go online at all.
I am using eth0 the simplest internet connection, all other puppies can go online. This is weird.

Geoffrey

#21 Post by Geoffrey »

slenkar wrote:I just booted the live CD of 1.1 it would not go online at all.
I am using eth0 the simplest internet connection, all other puppies can go online. This is weird.
This isn't really the place to report a problem, but Carolina should find a network connection on a eth0 from first run using frisbee, I think you are the first person to report such an issue.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

slenkar

#22 Post by slenkar »

I think my internet was down for a while, but it works now.
I would like to see this updated, what kind of updates are planned?

yerc1

#23 Post by yerc1 »

carolina wrote:It seems that Flash couldn't sort out the poll issue. We can either make a new thread and ask Flash to delete this one or just leave it as is and go by the feedback from user posts.

Thanks for the responses so far.
I prefer the combination of XFCE and Thunar over other options. This is reflected in my use of Linux Mint XFCE Long Term Support (for certainty of future upgrade) and Carolina (for its good look out of the box, ease of configuration and puppy speed). My netbook and an old laptop dual-boot between the two.

Geoffrey

#24 Post by Geoffrey »

slenkar wrote:I think my internet was down for a while, but it works now.
I would like to see this updated, what kind of updates are planned?
Phew, thank heavens that the net worked for you :lol:

Generally the update is newer versions of the applications already included along with bug fixes and any other small improvements we think of, the main aim is to keep it competitive and usable, rg66 has created many scripts that have given Carolina its uniqueness, it gives us a platform to try out new ideas.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

yellowfang

Carolina

#25 Post by yellowfang »

Carolina 1.1 is far and away the best linux I have used in many years. Please don't abandon it like some of the others (fluppy). I usually keep my mouth shut and my ears open but on this one I have to sound off. After booting to a black screen with a non moving mouse pointer and no keyboard for six weeks I finally got it to load. Improvements on 1.1 or a 1.2 would be appreciated by those of us who love Jemimah's work and those who came after.

loyal

Carolina use

#26 Post by loyal »

I have been using carolina since .5 I think. I use it as my usb linux and use it on my personal cpu. 1.1 was a major update. I love it. I know it is easy to say yes continue it. I dont have the knowledge to do what you guys do. I know it takes alot of time and effort and truly appreciate it! Only lxde pup and manna get any other attention form me. When I do look at the others I keep coming back to carolina to work with. Still favor pcmanfm but I like the stable and selection of software.
Thanks for your work and you have my vote on keepin carolina going if you guys have the time.
Loyal

stowpirate

#27 Post by stowpirate »

Found a problem that does not exist in precise puppy. Right mouse click in Firefox does not come up with correct website menu in flickr. That is the view image size menu. if it was not for this problem I would switch from Precise LTS release to Carolina. Can i change setting somewhere to get mouse key working properly?

mikeslr

Re: Carolina use

#28 Post by mikeslr »

Hi loyal,
loyal wrote: Still favor pcmanfm
Loyal
You may want to try spacefm 0.8.7. rg66 was kind enough to compile it for precise, and added it to the x-common packages, http://www.carolina-linux.com/rg66/X-common-packages/ so it doesn't show up in Carolina's ppm. But it works great in Carolina. Spacefm is a fork of pacman, with more options, but can be configured to look and work like pacman if you prefer. I've discussed configuring it here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 566#726566. Although it is self-sufficient, I haven't tried to set it up as Carolina's default file-manager, just use it when it might be more convenient than thunar.

mikesLr

rg66

#29 Post by rg66 »

stowpirate wrote:Found a problem that does not exist in precise puppy. Right mouse click in Firefox does not come up with correct website menu in flickr. That is the view image size menu. if it was not for this problem I would switch from Precise LTS release to Carolina. Can i change setting somewhere to get mouse key working properly?
Sounds like a firefox issue, v26.0 just came out so try an update and see if it changes. You'd be better off to post this in the Carolina thread though.
mikeslr wrote:You may want to try spacefm 0.8.7
While we are off topic, I compiled SpaceFM-0.9.2. You can get it here: http://www.carolina-linux.com/rg66/X-common-packages and I'll ask Geoffrey to upload it to the repo.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Pete22

I use carolina and love xfce

#30 Post by Pete22 »

I use carolina on all my x32 computers pae and non pae computers. I put it
on all the computers that I service. It often works out of the box. My brother
uses Ubuntu, except more and more he is using Carolina especially when
he wants to do something that ubuntu doesn't wanna do.
Carolina usually does what he wants without any complaints He now almost
always dual boots it with ubuntu. He also carries one with him to see what
type of hardware an old computer has.

I love finding my way around Carolina. Although I'm not very geeky I can
usually find what I want. I did not see the survey. I would love to see a new
version. It would be great to have your ideas incorporated into more puppies
too.

Pete

rg66

Re: I use carolina and love xfce

#31 Post by rg66 »

Pete22 wrote:I did not see the survey.
The poll got screwed up and it couldn't be fixed. Rather than start a new thread we are going by user feedback instead.

Thanks for the support.

can8v

#32 Post by can8v »

I have been using Puppy off and on since 2005? I have been quite sad to see a few of the projects dropped over the years, but understand that people have a life to live. At any rate the past couple years I have had to use Win 7 almost daily in the course of homeschooling my kids, as I couldn't get my choice of software to run in Linux (Switched on Schoolhouse). Now that I am no longer homeschooling I have gone back to using Saluki 023 almost exclusively. I was looking for a new version of Puppy to use that better meets my needs when I ran across this thread. I am going to tryout Lina1.1 and give it a go, but honestly it seems obvious that there are plenty of people happily using Carolina, this is one area that there is always room for improvement. I say if you have the time Carolina 1.2 would be a can't miss.
P.S. The main reason I am moving on from Saluki is that it is no longer being developed.

Tman

#33 Post by Tman »

I realize that it would take a tremendous amount of time and energy,
but if you could base future versions of Carolina on something newer, such as Slacko or Upup Raring, or a 64-bit pup, then that would be a fantastic achievement.

The main problem I have with Carolina as it is now, is that it is based on Racy which contains a lot of outdated libraries, thus making it more difficult, sometimes almost impossible to compile new apps for it.

I do not really use XFCE as my main desktop environment, but I having said that, it would be my "desktop of choice" for newbies and the average user, since it is the easiest Linux Desktop Environment to learn to use (in my opinion). It is the only Desktop Environment for Linux that I know of where one can drag icons from the menu to the desktop, and from the menu to the taskbar. Someone plz let me know, if there is another Linux DE that can do that... if it can, I am thinking that it is more bloated than XFCE.

XFCE is not the lightest DE around, but it's definately lighter than Windows XP. The pic below is info I found on Wikipedia. From those calculations, 90.71 of computer users run either Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.

My point is, most computer users out there are running systems that can handle Windows XP or higher, so if they can handle Windows XP, then they can definately handle XFCE.
Attachments
Computer_OS_usage.jpg
(25.37 KiB) Downloaded 634 times

rg66

#34 Post by rg66 »

@ Tman

Geoffrey and I have discussed it before and we've come to the conclusion that starting from scratch with a newer puppy is just too much work. One of the best things about lina is a dedicated repo and recompiling hundreds of packages is a deal breaker.

If you want an Xfce distro with newer glibc then try X-precise or X-slacko, they are basically the same as lina but without the advantage of a dedicated repo.

Geoffrey

Carolina will be updated to version 1.2

#35 Post by Geoffrey »

Due to the overwhelming response :lol: we will be updating Carolina in the not to distant future.

hopefully it should remain around the same size ISO, if there is something that you feel it should have that isn't already catered for, please make some suggestions and we will see what we can do.