Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Apr 2014, 13:11
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Ricoh IS760D scanner
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
marada2

PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013, 16:44    Post subject:  Ricoh IS760D scanner
Subject description: can't get it working

I have the Ricoh IS760D scanner (A3 ADF scanner.) I would love to get this working in puppy but the manufacturer does not
provide any linux drivers and sane does not recognise the scanner in puppy. Does anyone have any idea how I could get this working?
ardvark

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 09:24    Post subject: Re: Ricoh IS760D scanner
Subject description: can't get it working

marada2 wrote:
I have the Ricoh IS760D scanner (A3 ADF scanner.) I would love to get this working in puppy but the manufacturer does not
provide any linux drivers and sane does not recognise the scanner in puppy. Does anyone have any idea how I could get this working?

Hi...

Unfortunately, unless someone else knows something, I'm not seeing anything that would indicate there is any kind of support for your scanner in any distribution. Sad

As a suggestion and if the budget will allow (and you don't already have a scanner that works,) you could go here and see which scanners are supported (I would recommend those that have a "complete" rating) and see if you can find that have the same capabilities as the IS760D. If so, you can search online to see if any are available for purchase.

Another option would be to check out the two all-in ones over at ThinkPenguin.com that are Linux compatible, although I'm not sure if they would work with Puppy. You would need to call them and ask. You can find the cheaper, wired model here. There is a link for the more expensive wireless model on that page if your are interested in that capability. Smile

Regards...

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up here!
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 09:32    Post subject:  

If you just need basic scanning capability, here is a cheaper solution. Go to your neighbourhood thrift store and buy a used all-in-one printer. It doesn't matter if the ink has dried up - just make sure that the cartridges are still inside and the power cable is included.

Chances are that there is a Puppy driver for it.
ardvark

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 10:24    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Chances are that there is a Puppy driver for it.

Just make sure before you buy it. Wink

Regards...
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 10:47    Post subject:  

ardvark wrote:
Just make sure before you buy it

Read here. There are Puppy drivers for most home-use printers that you would find in a thrift store. If not, you have only wasted a few dollars. Just donate the unit back to the store. Wink
marada2

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 19:36    Post subject:  

Thanks for your reply guys, however I can already scan with a few scanners that I have, however the scanner referred to in this post is a professional A3 scanner with ADF. I believe when it was new it cost $6000, so it is a quality unit. All my other hardware works great in linux. This is the only thing stopping me from ditching windows.
ardvark

PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013, 19:53    Post subject:  

marada2 wrote:
This is the only thing stopping me from ditching windows.

Quite understandably. Unfortunately, at this point, keeping Windows (at least on a separate partition) looks like the only alternative. You might want to write Ricoh and ask that they write drivers for Linux. Couldn't hurt. Wink

UPDATE: I went ahead and wrote Ricoh a few days ago regarding Linux drivers for the IS760D and received a response today advising me that a suggestion would be made to the appropriate department (to create Linux drivers for this model.) Hopefully in the future, you will be able to run your scanner on Puppy or any other distribution. Smile

Regards...
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: