Fatdog64 630rc2 (24 December 2013) [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

#91 Post by gcmartin »

Oracle Java JDK/JRE 7u51 is now available.
A Request
Latest JDK for 64bit in either the DEVX or as standalone.

Not a pressing priority but now that MTP has come of age in PUPs the need for current JDK serves both users and developers alike.

An idea.

kirk

#92 Post by kirk »

Looks like Fatdog's kernel doesn't have CONFIG_USB_ANNOUNCE_NEW_DEVICES enabled.
Darn, Oh well. It will be in final with kernel 3.12.9.

kitten

zarfy only sees 2nd monitor on 1st install

#93 Post by kitten »

On fresh CD install, (beautiful) Fatdog64 630rc2 & zarfy figure out they need...

Code: Select all

LVDS1 3f 0 48 1366 768 0 1200 1
VGA1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
HDMI1 40 0 49 1920 1200 0 0 1
DP1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
VIRTUAL1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
and all is well, as recorded in

/root/.zarfy/:0/outputs.conf
But when I return and cable up again, zarfy can only display the laptop screen, and mirror its image to the big screen, without acknowledging big screen's presence. By then the outputs.conf file only shows...

default 17e 0 180 1366 768 0 0 1
Using Acer One 756 z, 4GB mem, similar to Acer Chromebook

zaivala

#94 Post by zaivala »

OK, so now I have booted to Fatdog64 630rc2 successfully twice.

You'd think the wireless connect profile would be saved and loaded automatically, but it wasn't. The modem profile was saved, the wireless connection protocol was not, had to use the Network Wizard to get it to connect.

Control Panel is, indeed, just where you said it was (in another FD64 topic) on the toolbar... but I still haven't found it in the menu. Doesn't mean it isn't there.

Fatdog's SFS handler is noticing some of the downloads for PP571, which I believe I read somewhere should NOT be used in FD630.

[Edit} I also note that the boot time is considerably longer than PP571, especially loading initfz <?> file. [/edit]

I thought I had downloaded the pet for SRWare Iron, but it's not here.

All in all, it's great that there is a 64-bit Puppy-based OS, but PP571 is a LOT easier to use. I'll check out the Final Release and keep up on this topic, but I guess I'm a 32-bit guy for the present..

smokey01

#95 Post by smokey01 »

zaivala, this might be a silly question but have you manage to create a save file or save to a directory.

p310don

#96 Post by p310don »

I have played with VLC and can't get it to play nice all the time.

Every now and then, a video doesn't play well, so I close VLC, and the icon stays open in the notification area. I cannot close the background vlc, cannot kill via htop. CPU usage goes through the roof to 100%. Only fix I can see so far is restart x server.

Any suggestions? Anyone else see same error?

smokey01

#97 Post by smokey01 »

Have you tried changing the Video Output Module to X11.
p310don wrote:I have played with VLC and can't get it to play nice all the time.

Every now and then, a video doesn't play well, so I close VLC, and the icon stays open in the notification area. I cannot close the background vlc, cannot kill via htop. CPU usage goes through the roof to 100%. Only fix I can see so far is restart x server.

Any suggestions? Anyone else see same error?
Attachments
VLC-Video.jpg
(81.54 KiB) Downloaded 543 times

p310don

#98 Post by p310don »

Will try that tonight, thanks for the suggestion smokey

p310don

#99 Post by p310don »

Changing VLC to x11 output worked.

Now, for me Fatdog630rc2 is working fine :)

zaivala

#100 Post by zaivala »

smokey01 wrote:zaivala, this might be a silly question but have you manage to create a save file or save to a directory.
Yep. I treat it just like I treat Puppy.

Packetteer

#101 Post by Packetteer »

Hi Kirk and James Bond

Thank you for FatDog64 :D

After a few false starts I now have FatDog64 working just fine.

I have found that if on first boot the user does nothing but
shuts down and creates a savefile most of the problems that
are mentioned on this thread do not happen.

If on the second boot the savefile is not found then use the
app that creates a boot command worked great for me.

Once the save file is found and loaded then all the partitions
show up on the desktop boot after boot.

I am so pleased with FatDog64.

There are only three things I do with computers.
1) Write programs
FatDog64 devx-sfs file worked out of the box.
GCC CC and Glade completely work
Hurray :D
2) E-Mail
Love Seamonkey
3) Surf the web
Love Seamonkey
Thank You Thank You

Best Regards
John

smokey01

#102 Post by smokey01 »

zaivala wrote:
smokey01 wrote:zaivala, this might be a silly question but have you manage to create a save file or save to a directory.
Yep. I treat it just like I treat Puppy.
So when you start FadDog are you certain your savefile is loaded.

If this is yes, and I'm sure it is, please describe your steps when using the network wizard.

Regards

gcmartin

Bug in FATDOG630 or urxvt shortcoming

#103 Post by gcmartin »

Dont know if this is a bug or not. Anyone else have this problem in urxvt terminal

# updatedb
updatedb needs to be able to execute /usr/libexec/frcode, but cannot.
# 
FYI

gcmartin

FATDOG630 app for creating a boot command?

#104 Post by gcmartin »

Hi John
Packetteer wrote: ... If on the second boot the savefile is not found then use the app that creates a boot command worked great for me ...
Specifically, which command did you use?

Thanks in advance

gcmartin

#105 Post by gcmartin »

Remastering a FATDOG630

Assume:
someone boots an ISO; then downloads and installs the FATDOG630 devx.sfs

Questions:
  1. If a Remaster is started from the FATDOG menu, will the final outcome (ISO) be a FATDOG with devx built into the filesystem?
  2. Would the devx bring any negative impact to the scene for general system use and FATDOG package manager operations with its packages?
Thanks in advance

gcmartin

#106 Post by gcmartin »

The PET tested in 630 ===> ThreadGet

Works.

Packetteer

#107 Post by Packetteer »

Hi gcmartin

Some information. I am booting FatDog64 off of a usb flash drive.
The savefile is also saved on the flash drive.
The save file is ext4 1gig in size
The app that I used is the one found in the control panel under the
Utilities tab. SavefileArgumentBuilder.

The command is
append savefile=ram:uuid:BB25-9ADC:fd64save.ext4
Which I added to the end of the syslinux.cfg file.

Best Regards
John

jamesbond

#108 Post by jamesbond »

Thanks for all kind words, comments and those who help to answer questions while we're not around. Your help is very much appreciated.

If a Remaster is started from the FATDOG menu, will the final outcome (ISO) be a FATDOG with devx built into the filesystem?
If you have done a remaster yourself you don't need to ask this question. The answer is you can choose whether or not to include devx as part of the remaster.
Would the devx bring any negative impact to the scene for general system use and FATDOG package manager operations with its packages?
Not that I know of. I generally run Fatdog with devx attached at all times. I would however like to hear from others about this.

@kitten, it used to work in previous versions. Nowadays I don't have a second monitor to test that scenario, so I can't confirm and/or troubleshoot the issue. That being said, this sometimes is caused by Xorg regressions (bugs that happen in newer version but don't exist in older versions); and we have newer Xorg for release; so my only (admittedly unhelpful) is to wait for the next release and see if it gets fixed. Perhaps others can help too?
Not a pressing priority but now that MTP has come of age in PUPs the need for current JDK serves both users and developers alike.
What does JDK have to do with MTP? But yes, having and updated JDK SFS is nice. When my internet connection gets better I will do it (unless someone else already beat me to it).
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

prehistoric

Fatdog 630 rc2 with nvidia embedded graphics

#109 Post by prehistoric »

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking here, and have run into a problem already reported on my machine with AMD processor and nvidia graphics (ASUS M2NPV-VM): the labels under icons don't always show up. I'll try the modesetting fix, and report results. Added: Worked like a charm. :D

A second problem likely has to do with that change in handling USB devices. I can move the cursor with a PS2 mouse or USB mouse plugged into the machine directly at start up, but cannot use a USB mouse plugged into a KVM switch that handles USB. This works on Fatdog 620, 621.

Overall, I have to say I'm impressed with the speed and the ability to configure automatically.

I would however echo comments about the humongous initrd by Ted Dog and gcmartin.

The final version will likely become my new workhorse.
Last edited by prehistoric on Wed 05 Feb 2014, 22:35, edited 2 times in total.

Ted Dog

Re: zarfy only sees 2nd monitor on 1st install

#110 Post by Ted Dog »

kitten wrote:On fresh CD install, (beautiful) Fatdog64 630rc2 & zarfy figure out they need...

LVDS1 3f 0 48 1366 768 0 1200 1
VGA1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
HDMI1 40 0 49 1920 1200 0 0 1
DP1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
VIRTUAL1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
and all is well, as recorded in

/root/.zarfy/:0/outputs.conf
But when I return and cable up again, zarfy can only display the laptop screen, and mirror its image to the big screen, without acknowledging big screen's presence. By then the outputs.conf file only shows...

default 17e 0 180 1366 768 0 0 1
Using Acer One 756 z, 4GB mem, similar to Acer Chromebook
I think I have same laptop.. if so I can confirm same issues and was posted prior with a workaround.. Also have a new EFI boot method which works well with our setup. Flashdrive based all files editible and NO bootloader mods to layout. a fat32 flashdrive WILL act like a large EFI partition without installing anything. Just a EFI folder. Was able to consolidate all my FatDog setups to one large flashdrive. Freeing up a number of smaller flashdrives to play with new Quirky6s and still be able to use flashdrive as is with windows and Android ( its double sided USB and Android phone microplug)