Fatdog64 630rc2 (24 December 2013) [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#31 Post by Sage »

Thanks, TD & jb. Working on it (testingwise, that is). Very few have LS120 - it was a great concept, FDD backwards compatible, and not tainted by the IOmega yankee money-making bug! There was an LS-240 but I never saw them. Rather slow in Linux and smallish by present yardstick, but infinitely more reliable than CD/DVD/BRay/Flashdrive.

Sound update: only one card (onboard) SI7021, correctly identified. Set all the Alsa controls correctly - no sound.
PPM says it cannot find FlashPlayer? Odd! Essential for UK residents, probably rather more.

Is it me?! Suddenly all my favourite Puppies are misbehaving:
- sound, FP, icon-flashing, eject +sudden retraction of sr0 on FD360
- no poweroff, strange video effects like pink bars on some icons/menu items on Slacko5.6.5
- no X-vid with XP-cpu on X-Slacko
- Q6, well we all know about that one!

kirk

#32 Post by kirk »

I cannot find this utility anywhere in FD6xx. Is it still OOTB in the system? Curious.
It's on the desktop in the Shares folder.
PPM says it cannot find FlashPlayer? Odd! Essential for UK residents, probably rather more.
The Flash player plugin is included, no need to install.

Ted Dog

#33 Post by Ted Dog »

sound issue on ATI lappy playing a mp4 with VLC the mp4 was from a gotflash grab from youtube.. I would chirp repeatively first sound millisecond until X was restarted or rebooted with correct sound card setup.

Ted Dog

#34 Post by Ted Dog »

http://www.treehugger.com/green-archite ... round.html

video on bottom of page.. I have a green house and wondered if just the top part was needed. since the plants are on stands with an Isle down the middle. My ground is good for growing so I have this idea years ago.

oh that is the video that caused a problem mp4 version. :oops: sorry about the extra non Fatdog64 info :P

Billtoo

Fatdog64 630rc2 (24 December 2013)

#35 Post by Billtoo »

I compiled xfce4 4.10, it works pretty well but it won't shutdown or
reboot properly, the only command that's not grayed out is logout.
Attachments
xfce4screen.jpg
(34.6 KiB) Downloaded 922 times
xfce4screen2.jpg
(10.07 KiB) Downloaded 828 times

Sage

#36 Post by Sage »

it won't shutdown or
reboot properly
- exactly the same with Slacko. All my other Xfce distros close and reboot properly.
Did you check CTRL-ALT-BKSPCE? That should give you the prompt. But poweroff and shutdown only get halfway from there, at best!

Billtoo

#37 Post by Billtoo »

Sage wrote:
it won't shutdown or
reboot properly
- exactly the same with Slacko. All my other Xfce distros close and reboot properly.
Did you check CTRL-ALT-BKSPCE? That should give you the prompt. But poweroff and shutdown only get halfway from there, at best!
Logout gets to the prompt and poweroff or reboot work from there.

rcrsn51

#38 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sage wrote:Why does my LS120/fd0 icon keep flashing?!
I saw the same thing with my hard drive partition icons. It took several repetitions of "Redraw all icons" before they settled down.

Atle

#39 Post by Atle »

So fast and beautiful.... A big step for mankind if you ask me...

Until you install something. Then the YEAAH goes a bit more like hmmm...

Why in the world are the repo pointing to Ibiblio and not a mirror that gives top speed for downloads of software like NLUUG?

Ibiblio turned their bandwidth down to 1990's level a few years ago and is like "the download site that is stuck in glue".

This is a issue that really annoys me, as I do not believe people would understand WHY they should change the Repository, as most folks dont even know what the word even means.

So the default repo should be the fastest one and not the slowest.

That would give the great first impression that FATDOG deserves and not the opposite.

I see complaints about the ibiblio site everywhere on the forum.

Another option is to have or not have ibiblio as deafult and change the name "Choose Repository" into "Choose Download speed" as that makes more sense to the average Joe.

Just a idea...

Anyhow the RC2 comes up fast and beautiful on my ASUS U36 and it is hereby by primary OS...

jamesbond

#40 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog, can't reproduce your issue ... how is your setup, do you use HDMI or anything? If you do, please disable "shared access" (dmix), sometimes it interferes with that.

Billtoo, you need to configure the actions of Xfce panel to this:
- logout mapped to "wmexit logout"
- reboot mapped to "wmexit reboot" or "wmreboot" or "reboot"
- shutdown mapped to "wmexit reboot" or "wmreboot" or "reboot"
I compiled Xfce once but didn't bother to investigate where to make the changes so I can't advise you. Kirk probably can - he spent more time to get Xfce to work before. Or may be there is some config file or startup file which you can change, without having to recompile the whole thing.

Sage, rcrsn51, I can't reproduce your problem here. Booting clean frugal install on nvidia desktop with floppy drive (with precaution said on the second post - deleted /etc/nouveau-noaccel and deleted /usr/X11R7/lib64/vdpau), I got the drive icons lined up correctly on the first try. My floppy drive icon also isn't constantly blinking.

Please do this - open terminal, and then type "udevadm monitor". Tell me what you see there. For rcrsn51, are you sure you don't have any leftover files in your save file (especially /etc/X11/xinitrc - this file gets updated in rc2).

Atle, thanks for the suggestion (and the compliment :)). One of the reason why we go with ibiblio as the primary mirror is - because it is the primary source. All uploads goes there first. It may take one to two days to ibiblio to sync with the mirrors. But your concern is a valid one - ibiblio is also slow here. Let me discuss this with kirk.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

rcrsn51

#41 Post by rcrsn51 »

jamesbond wrote: For rcrsn51, are you sure you don't have any leftover files in your save file (especially /etc/X11/xinitrc - this file gets updated in rc2).
The blinking was on a fresh start before creating a savefile. Once I made a savefile, the blinking stopped, but I needed several redraws before the icons were correct.

[Edit] Sometimes I still need to run Menu > Restart X.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 16 Jan 2014, 15:35, edited 3 times in total.

whahn1983

Encrypted Save File

#42 Post by whahn1983 »

I just installed version 630rc2 to my USB thumb drive and saved an encrypted save file to it. I edited the .conf file to point to the save file via uuid. When it boots, the scrolling text states that it found the save file however, it does not prompt for a password and just continues to boot without the save file. Any ideas?

Sage

#43 Post by Sage »

can't reproduce your problem
Confusing - this time everything was present & correct (live CD). Previously, the flashing FD0 icon was in the position of sr0. Looked for the files in /etc and /usr - neither was present. Did the udevadm monitor command - nothing of interest, just 'monitor will print records for UDEV and MONITOR', but no output shown.
Don't have nV, it's an ATI 68e1 onboard.
Sorry I can't reproduce flashing either - haven't been fiddling, either!

Ted Dog

#44 Post by Ted Dog »

@jb problem I was pointing out was related to issue with bad choice of sound cards affecting correct sound card choice later. You must bungled sound card first, then try the correct settings, to reproduce this error situation. If you have already setup the sound card first it works fine..... :lol:
That video starts loud so it makes a repeative chirp.. but if a different video was silent the first 10th of a second you would never know you would just assume settings to sound was non functional.
Multi day test has gone smoothly with some odd slow downs experienced, unsure cause CPU speed after file loads is normal but file access to load software changes dramatically ie RAYtracing takes same time to render scene but software loading varies from normal so fast it appears instantly to several second delay for software to load In order to run.

Ted Dog

#45 Post by Ted Dog »

Also optical drive fast finger crushing reload disk problem has reappeared. Not to the level of 620 release of everytime, but If I eject SR0 from a script it will auto close very quickly. So fast as to not really crush a finger since its already closed before you can reach for it :shock:
If I eject using click from menu it works fine.
Will be testing multisession next.... and the remaster function..

grump

#46 Post by grump »

In another thread I wrote:
Firstly I have Precise running quite nicely on my newish HP Pavilion 4108au laptop, which is plagued with a Broadcom 4313GN wireless card. I thought to give the 64bit pups a run, but both Fatdog and the beta Lighthouse don't like playing with the Broadcom wireless.
I am pleased to say that the wireless worked straight off with Fatdog64 630rc2. I have also persuaded it to run live off a usb with small initrd, pmedia=cd in the syslinux.cfg and the Fatdog sfs on the hdd. It boots just as fast as Precise.

Although it found and set up the wireless first off, it seemed that sometimes the browser would not get on the web, although I could ping websites ok. I did the small changes as suggested in the FAQ for Broadcom wifi, and it still works ok, and at the moment my browser is talking to the web. Maybe a glitch in the wires at my end - we'll see what happens in time.

Ted Dog

#47 Post by Ted Dog »

hammered by solar CME was having intermittent issues a few hours ago then it cleared

jamesbond

#48 Post by jamesbond »

rcrsn51 wrote:
jamesbond wrote: For rcrsn51, are you sure you don't have any leftover files in your save file (especially /etc/X11/xinitrc - this file gets updated in rc2).
The blinking was on a fresh start before creating a savefile. Once I made a savefile, the blinking stopped, but I needed several redraws before the icons were correct.

[Edit] I tried increasing Event Manager > Drive Icon Startup Delay, but it still needed a redraw to get the icons right.
I can't reproduce the problem :( One of the things that I specifically "fixed" in rc2 is the missing drive icons - missing drive icons was because Rox was slow to start. Where was Fatdog installed - in harddisk/partition, or did you boot from CD/DVD? Also, when your icons are blinking, check /tmp/udev-fatdog-drive-icon and see whether "counter" keeps increasing?
whahn1983 wrote:I just installed version 630rc2 to my USB thumb drive and saved an encrypted save file to it. I edited the .conf file to point to the save file via uuid. When it boots, the scrolling text states that it found the save file however, it does not prompt for a password and just continues to boot without the save file. Any ideas?
What .conf file again did you edit? Where did you create the savefile? In the root directory of the partition, or elsewhere? You can use the "savefile argument creator" (courtesy of rcrsn51) - look in Control Panel, Utility section, to build the correct savefile argument.
Ted Dog wrote:Also optical drive fast finger crushing reload disk problem has reappeared. Not to the level of 620 release of everytime, but If I eject SR0 from a script it will auto close very quickly.
Ah, that explains. What command did you use to eject the disc in your script? The proper command to eject the disc is "cdrom_id --eject-media $dev".
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Ted Dog

#49 Post by Ted Dog »

eject /dev/sr0

jamesbond

#50 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:eject /dev/sr0
Yes sorry that command doesn't work properly anymore. You will need to use cdrom_id --eject-media /dev/sr0 (cdrom_id is located in /usr/libexec).