Fatdog64 630rc2 (24 December 2013) [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jamesbond

#16 Post by jamesbond »

Thanks Ted Dog.
Ted Dog wrote:Big bug.. no warning on low battery power cuts without notice..
Will need to test this.
Notes: boots from SDCARD in BIOS and UEFI modes. Can't see icons of SDcard when boots UEFI but can in BIOS mode. Had to reset card.
Not consistent, sometimes shows 2 of three partitions, or none
Will need to test this.
grub.cfg is not in EFI boot img so can't edit it when dd'ed to SDcard or USB.. I'm guessing its using the copy in ISO read only side. Will try to copy over and see if it can default for me. NO always sees frozen copy on (hd0) even after I deleted iso9660 driver :x
"dd" to SD card is for easy usage. Grub.cfg is outside efi.img so that it is modifiable without having to edit the image. For advanced usage like yours (ie making EFI bootable SD cards), will need to write some doco.
Spell checker still shreds on input boxes within SeaMonkey ( I guess the fix got unfixed, had not seen this in a while ) It seems to be related to ATI chipset.
:( regression beyond our control :(
linux /vmlinuz base2ram=expand

base2ram=expand
option not in help pages under boot options
This command line option still works :wink:
Ah yes forgot to add that. Thanks.

I see in other threads you reported about missing icons. What are you video card - is it nvidia or others? I know it is a problem with nouveau, but hopefully it isn't a bigger problem.
Sage wrote:Very nice, thank you James & kirk - no problems so far.
Would suggest Claws more often favoured over Sylpheed by many. Anyone discovered whether new EudoraOSE works? [Yes, I know it's supposed to be == to Thunderbird now, but it isn't and Moz has retained the superior UI for the moment.]
Claws is a little bit more complicated than Sylpheed to compile. I understand functionality-wise, it's similar to Sylpheed so I'm trying Sylpheed first to see whether it is worthwhile to spend time to build Claws. Otherwise, I welcome the community to build one and submit it for us for upload to the pet repo.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:additional Fatdog64-630rc2.iso 9e12d2983e4158be56f80dffcf04dda1 md5sum mirror
Thank you.
gcmartin wrote:I saw this explanation from Kirk. It may apply to the following question.

If SAMBA4 is smaller and equally featured and fast, as well, why is SAMBA3?
Samba4 is indeed smaller thatn samba3. Why it isn't there is because we haven't gotten around to do it. Plus - to do proper package, you don't just compile the stuff. You need to provide a reasonable configuration that works out of the box; create a Fatdog/puppy-specific startup files; and then test it to make sure that it works. For a large and complicated package like samba, this takes time.
Qualm wrote:Hey guys, great work on this one!
Thanks.
I've had a full install of fatdog on a fairly old laptop since 620. Currently have a full install of 630rc1 but using rc2 off of a USB stick.
A problem I had with 630rc1 was going onto youtube (with any browser) was making my cpu usage hit the 90s and my fan go nuts. This isn't happening with rc2 at the moment, so I'm happy.
That was because recent Xorg moved the hardware video acceleration from individual drivers to VDPAU, and in 630rc1 VDPAU isn't included - so all video decoding is done by CPU (VDPAU is available as a pet). In 630rc2 VDPAU is included in the base iso.
Just wondering, is it possible to set a UK keyboard?
Should be possible - are you talking about keyboard in console or keyboard in graphical desktop? If it's in graphical desktop - there is a settings in control panel. Doesn't it work for you?
Also, is there a way to make the side windows in the menu instant like they are on other puppies?
What do you mean by this, can you please explain?

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

...build Claws. Otherwise, I welcome the community to build one
Maybe use the *buntu or Mint ones?
SM continues to be a pain - would be glad to see it permanently removed along with Tbird. BK is just about the only one who ever banged the drum for this browser; still don't believe his reasons about its suite-coupled additions are relevant nor optimal for most users. Coupling email with Opera never worked either, but Opera is still a superior browser which cannot be said of SM.

Qualm

#18 Post by Qualm »

jamesbond wrote:
Just wondering, is it possible to set a UK keyboard?
Should be possible - are you talking about keyboard in console or keyboard in graphical desktop? If it's in graphical desktop - there is a settings in control panel. Doesn't it work for you?
Aha found it! Was in Localisation > Keyboard localisation.
Thanks!
jamesbond wrote:
Also, is there a way to make the side windows in the menu instant like they are on other puppies?
What do you mean by this, can you please explain?

cheers!
In other puppy distros, when you hover the mouse over a menu item (for example, Graphic, Internet, Multimedia, etc) the sub menu opens instantly. In Fatdog, there is a slight delay. I was wondering if there is a way to remove this slight delay.

Thanks again.

gcmartin

SAMBA4 idea which may be of benefit to this thread's project

#19 Post by gcmartin »

Thank you @Jamesbond for your response.
JamesBond wrote:Samba4 is indeed smaller thatn samba3. Why it isn't there is because we haven't gotten around to do it. Plus - to do proper package, you don't just compile the stuff. You need to provide a reasonable configuration that works out of the box; create a Fatdog/puppy-specific startup files; and then test it to make sure that it works. For a large and complicated package like samba, this takes time.
I am NOT sure if this will help or not, as I would understand if this were not, BUT, I think @01Micko has a good brand for something extremely simple, if you find value.

In fact, what @TaZoC did was to incorporate, somehow, @01Micko's ease of use, menu start-up screen (SSM - "Simple SAMBA Management") so that many/most everyone has an good launch in sharing a folder on the LAN with NO reports of anyone getting it wrong. This occurs ONLY on the initial SAMBA launch by user.

This is true, NOT just for LH64, but also for 01Micko's PhatSlacko, where he plants SAMBA4 in its OOTB implementation.

This technology from @01Micko has been around for several years with no reports of issues in its use, hence, "Simple..." Further, in both cases extending SAMBA4, should anyone want to do, does NOT require searching and installing additional stuff so that SAMBA can be tested, diagnosed, or configured for LAN user authentication needs.

I am not developer, but, I hope this is found info to be helpful somehow. But, if there is value, then, there is consistency from a user point of view should they use any of the 3; namely FD6xx, LH64-6xx, or PhatSlacko5xx or the 32bit PET that @01Micko has made available. User would see the same friendliness.

Cheers! :)

L18L

Fatdog64 630rc2 (24 December 2013)

#20 Post by L18L »

booted without blacklist of drm module into 1024x768 resolution.

Here is howto configure for wide screen

(In rc1 I had 1600x1200 only.)

Terminal > xorgwizard
modesetting chosen and 1920x1080 24bit
RestartX

That's it. very nice.

locate is super fast in this version. (No error and no result :lol: )

Code: Select all

# updatedb
updatedb needs to be able to execute /usr/libexec/frcode, but cannot.
#
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.gz
My "new" board
Cheapest fanless ITX I have found
(3.52 KiB) Downloaded 351 times

nmlkngdm

#21 Post by nmlkngdm »

Manual frugal install to HP Pavilion Entertainment laptop
EDIT: Swap partition not detected?
-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5850 @ 2.16GHz
Memory : 4048MB (181MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Fatdog64 [9792f1526c]
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri Dec 27 14:45:46 2013
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.0, 128 bits)
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-SCSI Disks-
ATA TOSHIBA MK3252GS

Last edited by nmlkngdm on Fri 27 Dec 2013, 21:47, edited 2 times in total.

Ted Dog

EFI BOOTING CONFIG

#22 Post by Ted Dog »

the efi image is no longer a image once its DDed on to read write media. We can edit it easy as a user since it looks and acts like any other FAT formated partition. If the grub.efi was moved to exist ONLY in EFI. Then it should find it and use it.
Matter of fact would like to thicken the EFI partition with almost the rest of files to make it easier to change more. :)

Of THE TWO 64bit computers the icon problem only occur in Nvidia one. ATI one has not had a problem.

Changing to modesetting with Nvidia fixed icon issue and smoothed out CPU spikes. IE made HD video playback better but not as good as proprietary drivers.

irishrm

#23 Post by irishrm »

Installed on usb and used on laptop with i5 processor with 4 gig ram.
Installed fine but experiencing 100% cpu spikes plus shockwave crashes in both seamonkey and chrome.
Rc2 not usable for me, hoping for better result with next release.
irishrm.

Sage

#24 Post by Sage »

Why does my LS120/fd0 icon keep flashing?!

01micko

Re: SAMBA4 idea which may be of benefit to this thread's project

#25 Post by 01micko »

gcmartin wrote:Thank you @Jamesbond for your response.
JamesBond wrote:Samba4 is indeed smaller thatn samba3. Why it isn't there is because we haven't gotten around to do it. Plus - to do proper package, you don't just compile the stuff. You need to provide a reasonable configuration that works out of the box; create a Fatdog/puppy-specific startup files; and then test it to make sure that it works. For a large and complicated package like samba, this takes time.
I am NOT sure if this will help or not, as I would understand if this were not, BUT, I think @01Micko has a good brand for something extremely simple, if you find value.
Ok, so I tried to build samba-4.13, with a modified SlackBuild script... all the objects compiled but it failed at the linker stage , sorry didn't save the error but it was suggested to use -fPIC, which was already part of the CFLAGS.

Code: Select all

LDFLAGS="-Wl,--no-as-needed" \
CFLAGS="$SLKCFLAGS" \
./configure \
  --enable-fhs \
  --prefix=/usr \
  --libdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
  --includedir=/usr/include \
  --bindir=/usr/bin \
  --sbindir=/usr/sbin \
  --mandir=/usr/man \
  --sysconfdir=/etc \
  --with-configdir=/etc/samba \
  --with-piddir=/var/run \
  --with-privatedir=/etc/samba/private \
  --with-privatelibdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
  --with-modulesdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
  --with-lockdir=/var/cache/samba \
  --with-logfilebase=/var/log/samba \
  --localstatedir=/var \
  --enable-cups \
  --enable-shared \
  --with-acl-support \
  --with-automount \
  --with-quotas \
  --with-syslog \
  --with-utmp \
  --with-winbind \
  --with-ldap \
  --without-pam \
  --without-ads \
  --build=$TARGET
..where LIBDIRSUFFIX=64, SLKCFLAGS="-O2 -fPIC", TARGET= (The last var is for ARM arch so is empty).

I tried, however I can try again and supply full log of failure if interested.

PS: ads was disabled after first failure, not truly important IMHO.. anyone going to be using FD as a production server of a windows enterprise network?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gcmartin

SAMBA4

#26 Post by gcmartin »

... anyone going to be using FD as a production server of a windows enterprise network?
I have no current plans but do understand the steps to accomplish, particularly with the SAMBA developments' rewrite to not only improve overall performance, but to also advanced Linux with SAMBA4 to an equivalent of a MS Server. Should this be desired, I will assist as much as possible to help anyone else who thinks that this would benefit the community.

What I expect to do is to show how to use SAMBA4 to provide document, file, and media services as I have in the past. This time around, additionally, I may consider a separate document on how to setup SAMBA4 in the desktop to provide NAS functionality to the many LAN devices most of us have today. A simple to use document, coupled with the excellent startup utility, coupled with easy to use document to guide (maybe a PUP video) serves to make PUPs as simple to implement as have been seen in other OSes and Linux distro. (Actually, this Puppy implementation is much, much better in understanding for everyone who uses it.)

Hope this helps

Sage

#27 Post by Sage »

Sound issue just popped up - ie none. Twiddled all the usual knobs and dials - silence. Think it's a SiS chipset? check tomorrow.

Ted Dog

#28 Post by Ted Dog »

I found that a mistake configuring sound causes a hidden crash in the sound sub area. So even if you use the tools to pick the right setting after a bad choice the newest settings does not undue the damage caused by bad settings... Reboot between attempts til correct sound is achieved the first time after booting. :?

jamesbond

#29 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:Of THE TWO 64bit computers the icon problem only occur in Nvidia one. ATI one has not had a problem.
Yes, that's what I find too. Another suggestion from kirk:
a) delete /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-noaccel.conf
b) delete /usr/X11R7/lib64/vdpau
irishrm wrote:Installed on usb and used on laptop with i5 processor with 4 gig ram.
Installed fine but experiencing 100% cpu spikes plus shockwave crashes in both seamonkey and chrome.
Rc2 not usable for me, hoping for better result with next release.
irishrm.
There may be a problem with savefile on usb. What's the video card on your laptop?
Sage wrote:Why does my LS120/fd0 icon keep flashing?!
I don't have LS120 but I do have floppy drive and I will see if the problem happens here too.
Sage wrote:Sound issue just popped up - ie none. Twiddled all the usual knobs and dials - silence. Think it's a SiS chipset? check tomorrow.
Did you try to multiple soundcard wizard from control panel?
Ted Dog wrote:I found that a mistake configuring sound causes a hidden crash in the sound sub area. So even if you use the tools to pick the right setting after a bad choice the newest settings does not undue the damage caused by bad settings... Reboot between attempts til correct sound is achieved the first time after booting. :?
What exactly did you do to make the crash?
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

gcmartin

#30 Post by gcmartin »

@Kirk
I cannot find this utility anywhere in FD6xx. Is it still OOTB in the system? Curious.

Sage

#31 Post by Sage »

Thanks, TD & jb. Working on it (testingwise, that is). Very few have LS120 - it was a great concept, FDD backwards compatible, and not tainted by the IOmega yankee money-making bug! There was an LS-240 but I never saw them. Rather slow in Linux and smallish by present yardstick, but infinitely more reliable than CD/DVD/BRay/Flashdrive.

Sound update: only one card (onboard) SI7021, correctly identified. Set all the Alsa controls correctly - no sound.
PPM says it cannot find FlashPlayer? Odd! Essential for UK residents, probably rather more.

Is it me?! Suddenly all my favourite Puppies are misbehaving:
- sound, FP, icon-flashing, eject +sudden retraction of sr0 on FD360
- no poweroff, strange video effects like pink bars on some icons/menu items on Slacko5.6.5
- no X-vid with XP-cpu on X-Slacko
- Q6, well we all know about that one!

kirk

#32 Post by kirk »

I cannot find this utility anywhere in FD6xx. Is it still OOTB in the system? Curious.
It's on the desktop in the Shares folder.
PPM says it cannot find FlashPlayer? Odd! Essential for UK residents, probably rather more.
The Flash player plugin is included, no need to install.

Ted Dog

#33 Post by Ted Dog »

sound issue on ATI lappy playing a mp4 with VLC the mp4 was from a gotflash grab from youtube.. I would chirp repeatively first sound millisecond until X was restarted or rebooted with correct sound card setup.

Ted Dog

#34 Post by Ted Dog »

http://www.treehugger.com/green-archite ... round.html

video on bottom of page.. I have a green house and wondered if just the top part was needed. since the plants are on stands with an Isle down the middle. My ground is good for growing so I have this idea years ago.

oh that is the video that caused a problem mp4 version. :oops: sorry about the extra non Fatdog64 info :P

Billtoo

Fatdog64 630rc2 (24 December 2013)

#35 Post by Billtoo »

I compiled xfce4 4.10, it works pretty well but it won't shutdown or
reboot properly, the only command that's not grayed out is logout.
Attachments
xfce4screen.jpg
(34.6 KiB) Downloaded 922 times
xfce4screen2.jpg
(10.07 KiB) Downloaded 828 times