Seamonkey2.25-en_US-w5.pet

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
nubc

#16 Post by nubc »

I'll probably be upgrading my main box to Wary 5.5. But I still have 2 machines running 5.1.1, and so resolving the slow Pfind problem is important to me. Surely, someone knows how Pfind/pfilesearch works, and can diagnose the symptom that each search is like an initial search, long and thorough. In a perfectly functioning Pfind, there must be a temporary storage of the initial search results, such that subsequent searches are much shorter in duration. How exactly does Pfind perform subsequent searches so quickly?

Watchdog, let me know if you think this query is off-topic, and I'll post it elsewhere. On the other hand, I think this issue is critical to the Seamonkey upgrade, and needs a good resolution.

Let's see, Wary 5.5 runs SM 2.6.1. It's been so long I have forgotten minimum Seamonkey requirements for installing ABP, which is why I needed to upgrade Seamonkey in the first place. If I upgrade Seamonkey 2.6.1 on my new box with watchdog's PET , Pfind probably won't have the slowness problems in Wary 5.5, but I don't know that for sure. What are the current minimum requirements for Seamonkey in order to install/use/update ABP? Have other users with a later Wary (5.2+) experienced any problems with slow Pfind after upgrading with Watchdog's PET?

nubc

#17 Post by nubc »

I've installed this SM 2.23 pet on a full install of Wary 5.3, upgrading the original 2.6.1. After the upgrade, I opened Add-ons Manager and noticed a red bar at the top asking if I want to check for updates, and strongly suggesting that I do so. Should I do this update, or ignore it indefinitely?

watchdog

#18 Post by watchdog »

nubc wrote:I've installed this SM 2.23 pet on a full install of Wary 5.3, upgrading the original 2.6.1. After the upgrade, I opened Add-ons Manager and noticed a red bar at the top asking if I want to check for updates, and strongly suggesting that I do so. Should I do this update, or ignore it indefinitely?
You can update seamonkey as you are asked: the pet I provided installs seamonkey without touching the built-in seamonkey: If you look at Menu-Internet you can launch both but you must save, backup and use the proper /root/.mozilla profile for each seamonkey. The updated seamonkey remains shown at menu as version 2.23 but it is indeed updated.
About pfind I have done a use not hard of it: I can't figure out your problem. I see a pfind working in wary 5.1.1, 5.3, 5.5. I prefer wary 5.3 because user Monsie reported a buggish usb sticks detection by wary 5.5. But it is only affection I suppose.
You can post here your problem with pfind if you like: you can have more visibility by posting in separated thread in users section of the forum.

nubc

#19 Post by nubc »

I had to downgrade from Wary 5.3 to Wary 5.1.2 (in order to get a functioning VLC) and I can report that Pfind is behaving normally in Wary 5.1.2.

nubc

#20 Post by nubc »

This may seem a minor annoyance, but I would like to fix it. The way I have learned to start a new instance of Seamonkey is to click 'Browser Window' from this pathway:
File > New > Browser window
In Seamonkey 2.23, 'Browser Window' is the second item in a drop-down list of six options. Normally, it is the first item in the list, not the second. I would like to make it the first item in the drop-down list, which is easier to select in a single sweep of the mouse pointer. How do I change the order of this drop-down list?
Last edited by nubc on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#21 Post by Semme »

Why not hit ctrl+n(ew)? I couldn't imagine having to click everything with the mouse..

watchdog

#22 Post by watchdog »

nubc wrote:In Seamonkey 2.23, 'Browser Window' is the second item in a drop-down list of six options.
If you want to launch seamonkey 2.23 or its updated version just click the "Browse" button on the desktop. Use menu item only for the built-in seamonkey.

nubc

#23 Post by nubc »

Unfortunately, the Desktop may be beneath 10 instances of Seamonkey, plus 10 instances of Pfind, the Download Manager, maybe 5 open directories, 5 instances of VLC, other programs like Pmount, etc. [Honestly, right now, I have 5 instances of SM, two mounted directories, 4 instances of Pfind, 1 Pfilesearch in progress (a long text search for 'Browser Window'), 5 instances of VLC (just closed), Download Manager.] To reduce all this clutter with 'Show desktop' causes a huge disruption. Much less disruptive to use the browser to simply start another instance of SM.

Semme

#24 Post by Semme »

Are we talk'n a new blank window, or perhaps a set search page? I've got something in mind..

nubc

#25 Post by nubc »

In the past, it was the default Puppy home page, with helpful links. Right now, it's Google. But really, I would like to know how to change the order of that list in the browser, to make 'Browser Window' the top item, like it is in other versions of Seamonkey that I have used.

Semme

#26 Post by Semme »

Since the extensions appear bogus, it's look'n more'n more like userChrome.css is the file to turn to.

The above if SM 2+ even honors the file? Have tested, so, not sure.

My idea involves a simple script and hotkey addition to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal. I prefer hotkeys.

Ah-ha! The top edit works, if only to hide the menu item above the one you want:

Code: Select all

menuitem[label="Browser Tab"] {
    display: none !important;
}

Not bad for a :wink: novice!
Attachments
hide_menu-item.jpg
(10.17 KiB) Downloaded 498 times

nubc

#27 Post by nubc »

I found the file you're talking about, but I can't make sense of the edit you are demonstrating.
/root/.mozilla/default/xyzxyzxy.slt/chrome/userChrome.css

nubc

#28 Post by nubc »

Semme wrote:Ah-ha! The top edit works, if only to hide the menu item above the one you want:
"The top edit works" ???? What does this mean?

Profile folder - Seamonkey
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey

menu customization
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_customiz ... _selectors

Semme

#29 Post by Semme »

Wary_512, SM 2.24 >> Now I'm on the same page.. almost.

*All I did was extract the latest build to /usr/local. This works fine with those dbus pets in place.

You're referencing an *old* userChrome.css.

Fact is you haven't created a new one to go along with your new ride.

What you should have is:
~/.mozilla/seamonkey/*.default/chrome_folder_YOU_create/userChrome.css_YOU_create
Just rt-clk inside the chrome folder >> new >> "blank file" and name it.

Go ahead and paste my code in there, save.. Wary'll know it's a css.

Make sure SM's down before editing. We never edit program files while they're up!

Dare I say, it works.

==

If ordering still matters, there's a note in the old css.

==

PS - I never realized just "how much" you can make these Mozilla browsers your own.

Too bad they've got such a heavy footprint..

nubc

#30 Post by nubc »

Okay, what's next, cuz I'm not sure what this procedure accomplished.

Semme wrote:
"If ordering still matters, there's a note in the old css."
Would you please post that note here.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 19 Mar 2014, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#31 Post by Semme »

So that we're on the same page.. we're discussing 2.23, correct?

Didn't this pet create a ~/.mozilla/seamonkey folder?

This would've happened during the first run..

PS - This pet doesn't work on 5.1.2.

Throwing a bus error, I re-extracted the latest build.

Still, you have two questions here.

nubc

#32 Post by nubc »

My bad. Yes, the SM2.23 PET does create a Seamonkey folder.

1 Go to ~/.mozilla/seamonkey/xyzxyzxy.default to create new folder, chrome

2 Open new chrome folder to create new file, userChrome.css

3 Open new userChrome.css file to paste your code:

visibility: collapse !important;
}  
4 What now? [This code hides 'Browser Tab' so that 'Browser Window' is at the top of the menu list.]
Thanks, Semme
Last edited by nubc on Thu 20 Mar 2014, 05:16, edited 6 times in total.

Semme

#33 Post by Semme »

That would be >> userChrome.css

All this does <as stated in a previous post> is *hide* your "Browser Tab" selection.

If you need more than this, you'll have to wait for someone who knows how to code it, cause I don't, @ least, not yet.

But, if you don't use that item >> who cares.

The selection you want becomes the first.

nubc

#34 Post by nubc »

Actually, so rarely do I call 'Browser Tab' from this menu, it would be an instance where I learn to use the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + T). I don't really like multiple browser tabs because I get the impression they slow things down. Browser tabs obscure what's actually running as represented on the taskbar.

Too bad that Chromedit is no longer available as a Firefox/Seamonkey extension. Instead we get this version, ChromEdit Plus, from out in the wild:
http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html

Semme

#35 Post by Semme »

Agreed.. I like to see reference to what's open in the taskbar as well.

D̶i̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶r̶o̶w̶s̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶a̶b̶ ̶s̶e̶l̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶?̶

Nevermind, I :wink: see the edit. Good.

*Update: I came across this fella that suggested using this below in-place of the *display* option..

visibility: collapse !important; 
}
Sounds preferable and supplies the same effect.
Attachments
adjust-your-pasted-input.jpg
(11.76 KiB) Downloaded 632 times