How to make printable graph paper

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
rcrsn51

How to make printable graph paper

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

Read here.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 13 Oct 2019, 00:20, edited 3 times in total.

wjaguar

Re: How to make printable graph paper

#2 Post by wjaguar »

2. In mtPaint: Image->Resize Canvas->Tile

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

wjaguar wrote:2. In mtPaint: Image->Resize Canvas->Tile
Are you suggesting that the mtPaint method is easier?

phat7

#4 Post by phat7 »

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

What's your point? Have you tried both methods? Are you recommending one over the other?

phat7

#6 Post by phat7 »

You already kindly contributed to don570's thread. I suggest you continue to do so instead of opening a new thread :wink:

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

????????

My procedure lets you print out a grid on paper with specific physical dimensions.

Please explain how you would get that result with Don's technique.

phat7

#8 Post by phat7 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Please explain how you would get that result with Don's technique.
You already asked a similar question in Don's thread. Now that you found a different technique with better functionality, why not add it to the thread?

wjaguar

#9 Post by wjaguar »

rcrsn51 wrote:
wjaguar wrote:2. In mtPaint: Image->Resize Canvas->Tile
Are you suggesting that the mtPaint method is easier?
It's designed to be that. :) And in addition, this way one does not need a separate program (PeasyGlue) to replicate the original square drawn in mtPaint.
But, as for the really easier method, it would be this mtPaint script one-liner:

Code: Select all

mtpaint --cmd -f/new=rgb w=50 h=50 -s/all='(1,1,50,50)' -p/a=7 -s/fill -i/resize=tile fix=0 w=x32 h=x40 -f/as=graph form=png

tallboy

#10 Post by tallboy »

I shall not pretend that I have something of value to add in this debate, because what I describe happened many years ago. But, I do remember that we used LaTex to create most of the math papers at the uni, including graph paper. When the correct paper size was used, the graphs were so exactly made, that the printed paper could be control measured with a caliper.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

wjaguar

#11 Post by wjaguar »

To cap over the original poster's tantrum, here is a Postscript file for printing graph paper, if anyone would need such: lpr graph.ps
As it is, the file creates an A4 page with margins of 1 cm, a grid of cells 2x2 mm, with thicker grid 1x1 cm. To modify those parameters, open the file in a text editor.
Attachments
graph.ps.gz
(661 Bytes) Downloaded 224 times

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

No tantrum. I simply applied the do-ocratic principle to the project. If people don't want to participate in the development and provide some beta-testing, then I remove it. It would be irresponsible to leave a project posted if it didn't work.

But I can see why you would think that I had a tantrum, when I was unwilling to immediately accept that your way was the best way. Did the PeasyGlue method not work for you?

In any case, people who still want to try this technique can find the instructions in the PeasyGlue help.

wjaguar

#13 Post by wjaguar »

Did the PeasyGlue method not work for you?
Given that I myself run Slackware, the answer is obvious.
Which is precisely why the most useful method to solve a problem, is the one that minimizes the number of obscure tools required. Irregardless of any sentimental value the tools in question hold for anyone.

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

wjaguar wrote:Which is precisely why the most useful method to solve a problem, is the one that minimizes the number of obscure tools required. Irregardless of any sentimental value the tools in question hold for anyone.
This is a Puppy forum. PeasyGlue is a standard component of Puppy.

Once someone has downloaded the pre-made square.png, they don't need to screw around with mtpaint. They can build any sized grid with PeasyGlue in a few clicks.

------------------
Attachments
bricks.png
(175 Bytes) Downloaded 225 times

wjaguar

#15 Post by wjaguar »

rcrsn51 wrote:This is a Puppy forum. PeasyGlue is a standard component of Puppy.
Once someone has downloaded the pre-made square.png, they don't need to screw around with mtpaint.
Do I really need to remind Your Obstinacy that mtPaint is a standard component of Puppy too? ;)
They can build any sized grid with PeasyGlue in a few clicks.
Or do it with mtPaint in less clicks than that, and not screw around with PeasyGlue at all.
Or run an one-liner script and not need any pre-made png's either.
Or modify a few numbers in a Postscript file with a text editor, and send it to printer, without any further GUI interaction.

This nice universe does not revolve around any single tool. Even the one you made. Even the one I made. :)

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the difference between you and me.

I have tried both methods and made a conclusion about them.

You have not.

-------------------

I have added a few ideas to the PeasyGlue help.

-------------------
Attachments
design.png
(7.17 KiB) Downloaded 116 times