My report on Quirky 6.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mai77

Q 6.2.1

#781 Post by mai77 »

I used the quirky 8 GB SD image and put it on bootable SD from within mint Linux (using mint image writer, comes with liveCD & liveUSB). excellent ! Saves much UEFI troubles !
and fast, since SD does not pass USB bottleneck (Akoya China laptop with AMIBIOS).

The kernel compiles nicely in Q6.2.1 - make gconfig

only the browser "first startup" orange warning keeps coming on every browser start.
And kernel compiling kinda slows down the machine more than usual.

I promoted Q6 in wikipedia (f2fs).

formatted the rest of 32GB SD to F2FS. good feature !

my next steps:
  • try snapshots
    use recompiled kernel after make gconfig moddings

raffy

Re: f2fs

#782 Post by raffy »

BarryK wrote:My understanding is missing something here. What is "fsfs"?

Is there any reason why you did not use my install script?
Sorry, Barry, I was careful to type "f2fs" (see it at the title of my post, correctly typed) but perhaps my hand slipped when typing the text. :)

Of course, I was using your script (install to drive) and installed to a 4 GB class 10 SD card. I have already booted QU using 2fs filesystem on the same flash drive, but got nowhere with f2fs.

*** I should clarify that am clueless how to prepare flash drive using f2fs for booting QU with the flash drive itself (and whether I can do this while using Slacko 5.7 or Fatdog64 700b1). For example, GParted says that it can't read the f2fs partition it just created! ***

I was watching your Win8.1 experiment and anticipate a QU easily installed to boot from the flash drive itself (even in legacy BIOS). At the moment, the size of the card seems to be the constraint here (8 GB), so I should get an 8-GB SD card pronto.

EDIT: Micko has posted about f2fs: f2fs – booting linux on an f2fs flash drive
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Sage

#783 Post by Sage »

Updated a FULL as advertised and ended up with all inverted triangles filled with question marks on light green background. Usual methods to change desktop/icons/etc don't function although everything else works???

don570

#784 Post by don570 »

Installed unicorn-6.2.usfs.xz on a USB stick using tahr 5.8.3 to run
install script . I noticed following in terminal

Code: Select all

# ffmpeg    

ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libdb-5.3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

chapchap70

#785 Post by chapchap70 »

My first boot into Quirky did not make it to X. When I ran the xorgwizard, the only driver I could choose (edit: or available to choose) was the Intel driver. I was surprised that the X test dialog came up and it stated X is working because I had only gotten modesetting to work. Then it hanged and I had to restart. It wasn't until I chose "none" that X loaded. I supposedly have an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 so I'll have to see if that works.

I thought I read somewhere that Quirky only supports modesetting Xorg driver. I don't know why that would be or if I had that right. I am using a Gateway LT 4009u netbook with Intel Atom 2600 processors.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Quirky Unicorn, version 6.2

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       synaptics dbe 
  Modules requested to not be loaded:   glx 
  Drivers requested to be loaded:       intel 

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
  Loaded modules: dbe extmod fb kbd modesetting mouse synaptics

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1024x600 pixels (270x158 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
Attachments
QUscreen.png
(86.18 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
Last edited by chapchap70 on Thu 30 Oct 2014, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: f2fs

#786 Post by BarryK »

raffy wrote:
BarryK wrote:My understanding is missing something here. What is "fsfs"?

Is there any reason why you did not use my install script?
Sorry, Barry, I was careful to type "f2fs" (see it at the title of my post, correctly typed) but perhaps my hand slipped when typing the text. :)

Of course, I was using your script (install to drive) and installed to a 4 GB class 10 SD card. I have already booted QU using 2fs filesystem on the same flash drive, but got nowhere with f2fs.

*** I should clarify that am clueless how to prepare flash drive using f2fs for booting QU with the flash drive itself (and whether I can do this while using Slacko 5.7 or Fatdog64 700b1). For example, GParted says that it can't read the f2fs partition it just created! ***

I was watching your Win8.1 experiment and anticipate a QU easily installed to boot from the flash drive itself (even in legacy BIOS). At the moment, the size of the card seems to be the constraint here (8 GB), so I should get an 8-GB SD card pronto.

EDIT: Micko has posted about f2fs: f2fs – booting linux on an f2fs flash drive
Regarding the 'install-quirky-to-drive.sh' script, there seems to be a problem with f2fs in Slacko and Fatdog. if I recall rightly, Precise 5.7.1 works, plus all the Quirkies.

You might be better off just buying a 8GB SD card, and use Method D to write this file straight to the card:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... 8gb.img.xz

You can write it to the card like this:

# xz --decompress --stdout unicorn-6.2-8gb.img.xz | dd of=/dev/<drive> bs=4M conv=fdatasync
# sync
That image is for BIOS MBR type computers, not UEFI.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#787 Post by BarryK »

Sage wrote:Updated a FULL as advertised and ended up with all inverted triangles filled with question marks on light green background. Usual methods to change desktop/icons/etc don't function although everything else works???
Do you mean that you used the Service Pack to upgrade from Quirky Tahr 6.0.5 to Quirky Unicorn 6.2?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#788 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:Installed unicorn-6.2.usfs.xz on a USB stick using tahr 5.8.3 to run
install script . I noticed following in terminal

# ffmpeg    

ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libdb-5.3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The 6.2.1 Service Pack should fix that.

Sage

#789 Post by Sage »

Do you mean that you used the Service Pack to upgrade from Quirky Tahr 6.0.5 to Quirky Unicorn 6.2?
Probably. I loaded your instruction page and worked directly from those instructions.
[Why am I not entirely sure? Followed the instructions to the letter, got the triangles, then did a lot of fiddling including re-installing SP, etc., - bad science, got frustrated, didn't write down everything I tried! Notwithstanding, nothing changed - still got the triangles and everything still works.]

Billtoo

My report on Quirky 6.0

#790 Post by Billtoo »

New install to a 32gb flash drive, pc is a Gateway desktop.

Installed the devx-6.2-unicorn.pet...rebooted
Installed the kernel_src-3.16.6-patched.pet...rebooted
Opened PPM and installed the update to 6.2.1 and the devx update...rebooted
Downloaded and compiled the proprietary nvidia driver (let it update
xorg.conf)..rebooted
Installed applications from PPM.

Computer
Processor 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory 3104MB (111MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Quirky Unicorn
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Thu 30 Oct 2014 09:41:27 AM EDT

OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Version 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.104
Direct Rendering Yes

It's working fine so far.

EDIT: Added more applications with PPM, switched to icewm.
It's working great, thanks.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(40.49 KiB) Downloaded 620 times
screenshot.jpg
(35.86 KiB) Downloaded 911 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 31 Oct 2014, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

Quirky unicorn v 6.2.1

#791 Post by Jasper »

Hi BarryK,

Still going strong:
Attachments
UnPet.png
(47.78 KiB) Downloaded 856 times

don570

#792 Post by don570 »

My utility Right-click-6.7.9
works well on Quirky Unicorn.

I added an Abiword icon to package
to make Textmaker right click menu
look proper.

Sylvander

#793 Post by Sylvander »

On 2012 desktop PC:

1. Downloaded and unpacked the unicorn-6.2-8gb.img file and used a dd command to write it to an 8GB Flash Drive [no partitions, unmounted].
It booted and ran just fine.
Couldn't see anything faulty.

2. Downloaded the .sh and .xz files, and ran the .sh script [within the Quirky in 1 above] to install the contents of the .xz file to a 4GB Flash Drive [no partitions, unmounted].
Slightly different Quirky desktop.
Booted and ran just fine.
Except...
I see there is no text beneath the desktop icons.

3. Something that gives me cause for concern:
a. I always thought it good that when booting Puppy from an optical disk...
It could be finalized so it couldn't be written to, hence practically incorruptible.
And a pupsave file, if infected/corrupted...
A 2nd Puppy could be used to delete the pupsave and replace it with a good backup copy.
Hence a "live" install was pretty safe.

b. With the new arrangement used in Quirky Unicorn, a snapshot would be saved within the Puppy filesystem.
Hence Quirky would need to be functional to be able to restore a snapshot.
Yet it's not guaranteed incorruptible.
I saw BK say somewhere that he intends to do something about this.
I wonder what?

4. I normally set up my Puppies so I have the choice "to save or not to save" session changes.
Both during the session, and at shutdown/reboot.
Is there a way to do this in Quirky Unicorn?

Sylvander

#794 Post by Sylvander »

1. Regarding 2 in the post above:
Tried uninstalling the "update from 6.1 to 6.1.4", but it made no difference to the problem.

slick-puppy

Wine in Quirky Unicorn

#795 Post by slick-puppy »

Is there a wine package that will install in QU. I have tried several ones but have had no luck. I keep getting an error box. I have tried the one here also:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... s-quirky6/

Thanks
Attachments
wine-error.png
Error box trying to install wine pet
(9.29 KiB) Downloaded 574 times

slick-puppy

Sound volumes not getting save

#796 Post by slick-puppy »

I also have an issue with my sound volumes not getting saved after setting them in the setup mixer. After a re-boot I have to go back into settings and re-adjust the levels.

"alsactl store" does not seem to store anything either.

After 20 years of fire truck sirens ringing in my ears I have to have the volume up a little more.

Edit:

I finally put a script in my startup folder to get around my issue that works for me. In the process of trying to chase down things I was looking in the /etc/init.d/10alsa script where the mixer controls were being set and was trying to use it as a basis for my script in my startup folder. I kept getting errors when I ran it ; invalid command. Got to looking at the "amixer --help" commands and saw "sset" but not "set". So I change the commands in my script to "sset" and it finally loads up on reboot.

Examples like used in /etc/init.d/10alsa:

amixer -s -q <<EOF
set Master 100% unmute
set Master 0.00dB
EOF

My script in Startup folder:

#!/bin/sh
amixer -s -q <<EOF
sset Master 100% unmute
sset Master 0dB
sset Front,0 100% unmute
sset Front,0 0dB
sset PCM 100% unmute
sset PCM 0dB
sset Headphone 75% unmute
sset Headphone -12dB
EOF

alsactl -f /etc/asound.state store
Last edited by slick-puppy on Sun 02 Nov 2014, 16:58, edited 2 times in total.

chapchap70

Suspend

#797 Post by chapchap70 »

I thought it would be simple to suspend when closing my netbook lid like other puppies. I did not find an /etc/acpi directory in Quirky 6.21. Pfind did not find any suspend scripts; just the /etc/apm/suspend.d directory which was empty.

When I click on the suspend.sh file while navigating in my Precisesave folder from within Quirky, my netbook suspends as it would when I close the lid. When I open the lid, it resumes like it usually would.

I tried copying the /etc/acpi directory from precise but that didn't work. I also tried putting the script in the /etc/apm/suspend.d directory but that didn't work either.

Does anyone know how to get this working?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#798 Post by BarryK »

Sylvander wrote: 3. Something that gives me cause for concern:
a. I always thought it good that when booting Puppy from an optical disk...
It could be finalized so it couldn't be written to, hence practically incorruptible.
And a pupsave file, if infected/corrupted...
A 2nd Puppy could be used to delete the pupsave and replace it with a good backup copy.
Hence a "live" install was pretty safe.

b. With the new arrangement used in Quirky Unicorn, a snapshot would be saved within the Puppy filesystem.
Hence Quirky would need to be functional to be able to restore a snapshot.
Yet it's not guaranteed incorruptible.
I saw BK say somewhere that he intends to do something about this.
I wonder what?

4. I normally set up my Puppies so I have the choice "to save or not to save" session changes.
Both during the session, and at shutdown/reboot.
Is there a way to do this in Quirky Unicorn?
A snapshot can be restored at bootup. Quirky creates a ramdisk, with a small Linux environment, and runs from there. As long as Quirky can get the files needed to create the ramdisk, even a broken system can be rolled back.
The files needed to create the ramdisk are mostly static, that I created especially for the purpose, though in theory if any of those have been damaged or deleted then the ramdisk won't work.

Yes, the extra step that I was considering, to ensure rollback of a totally messed up installation, is to have a ramdisk image file. As long as that file still exists, the ramdisk can be created.

Oh yes, busybox will have to still be there, and working, but it is also a static executable.

You are thinking in Puppy terms, but as for number 3 above, you have to know that Quirky is a conventional full installation of Linux.

There is no "pupsave" file. You are running a full install of Linux, so no option to shutdown without saving session.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#799 Post by BarryK »

Sylvander wrote:1. Regarding 2 in the post above:
Tried uninstalling the "update from 6.1 to 6.1.4", but it made no difference to the problem.
Quirky Unicorn is version 6.2. We have an update Service Pack 6.2.1.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Sound volumes not getting save

#800 Post by BarryK »

slick-puppy wrote:I also have an issue with my sound volumes not getting saved after setting them in the setup mixer. After a re-boot I have to go back into settings and re-adjust the levels.

"alsactl store" does not seem to store anything either.

After 20 years of fire truck sirens ringing in my ears I have to have the volume up a little more.

Edit:

I finally put a script in my startup folder to get around my issue that works for me. In the process of trying to chase down things I was looking in the /etc/init.d/10alsa script where the mixer controls were being set and was trying to use it as a basis for my script in my startup folder. I kept getting errors when I ran it ; invalid command. Got to looking at the "amixer --help" commands and saw "sset" but not "set". So I change the commands in my script to "sset" and it finally loads up on reboot.

Examples like used in /etc/init.d/10alsa:

amixer -s -q <<EOF
set Master 100% unmute
set Master 0.00dB
EOF

My script in Startup folder:

#!/bin/sh
amixer -s -q <<EOF
sset Master 100% unmute
sset Master 0dB
sset Front,0 100% unmute
sset Front,0 0dB
sset PCM 100% unmute
sset PCM 0dB
sset Headphone 75% unmute
sset Headphone -12dB
EOF

alsactl -f /etc/asound.state store
Strange, maybe 'set' support got dropped in an earlier version of amixer?

Anyway, I have replaced all of "set" in 10alsa script with "sset".

Dunno what that "cset" is for.