How to use BCM43224 wifi in Dell Latitude E6410? (Solved)

sheldonisaac

How to use BCM43224 wifi in Dell Latitude E6410? (Solved)

#1 Post by sheldonisaac »

Hi, I just got a Dell Latitude E6410 laptop; and (stupidly) ruined the Windows 7.
So I wiped the hard drive, and currently have Lucid 3-headed Dog.

The wireless doesn't work.
And also I don't understand the slide switch on the right-hand side.
Its use is not explained in any Dell manual I could find.

Can I get a driver for it?

Or use a different Puppy?

Oh, the hardware says
Broadcom Corporation BCM43224

Thanks,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

ardvark

#2 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

First, do any of these tutorials help? Here or here. Does this switch have some sort of symbol next to it?

I'm not sure if your version of Puppy has the needed drivers for your chipset or not. If not, you can check this thread out to see if there is anything for your kernel. Your kernel version will be extremely important so please find this out before installing any of the pets. Please read through the thread carefully!

At the same time, you might want to wait a bit and see if anyone chimes in with better advice, I'm not an expert with wifi, particularly on Linux. :wink:

Regards...

sheldonisaac

Latitude E6410 wireless

#3 Post by sheldonisaac »

ardvark wrote:Hi...

First, do any of these tutorials help? Here or here. Does this switch have some sort of symbol next to it?

I'm not sure if your version of Puppy has the needed drivers for your chipset or not. If not, you can check this thread out to see if there is anything for your kernel. Your kernel version will be extremely important so please find this out before installing any of the pets. Please read through the thread carefully!

At the same time, you might want to wait a bit and see if anyone chimes in with better advice, I'm not an expert with wifi, particularly on Linux. :wink:

Regards...
Thanks a lot, ardvark; very good of you to help.
I think I first put rerwin's new Lucid Puppy on, had some problem (don't recall exactly). Then three-headed dog.
Carolite did have a wl driver? module? and could connect to the wireless card.
I'm not sure at the moment about a Precise 5.4.3?

Slacko 5.6 is what I'm using now, and it works.
Linux puppypc6131 3.10.5 #1 SMP Sun Aug 4 22:29:04 EST 2013 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 560 @ 2.67GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

ardvark

#4 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

You're welcome, glad to help :)

I doubt Precise 5.4.3 would work without one of the pets that I linked to. Precise 5.7.1 should provide native support, though.

Regards...