DebianDog - Squeeze

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

DebianDog - Squeeze

#1 Post by saintless »

Edit - 21.06.2017: According to this post the thread stays open as a community project:
mcewanw wrote:As I say, all dogs are community projects; no-one can ask for that work to be locked or deleted without agreement from the other contributors.
Not maintained by me anymore.

---------------------------------------------------------------
One month from today (28.09.2016) I will remove all files from:
http://www.kazzascorner.com.au/saintless
Thank you very much for your support Kazza.

I will not update anymore:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless
Thank you very much for your support Smokey.

All DebianDog and MintPup files are uploaded at github. Links available in the first page post.
Debian releases information page.
==========================================
Click here for bugs and fixes information.
DebianDog-Squeeze on github.
My thanks to Daniel Baumann! DebianDog wouldn't exist without his work.
=========================================

DebianDog-Squeeze is downgraded DebianDog-Wheezy.
Read DebianDog-Wheezy first post for more information about the system setup.

Same Utilities thread, same HowTo thread.

It is not Puppy linux and it has nothing to do with Puppy based on Debian.
Downloading DebianDog be ready to learn different package manager and different system setup in Debian manner.

DebianDog has tools similar to Puppy. You can create easy separate squashfs modules and remaster the system with all personal changes.
You can even use/convert pet packages and sfs files from Puppy but it is not recommended if you like to keep well working apt-get/Synaptic package manager (which is the main advantage using DebianDog).

More or less it is the same as DebianDog-Wheezy with the same programs and the same boot methods and save file options but using Debian Squeeze repository. Maybe will be more suitable for someone with old hardware.
Runs well and fast on P-III 600Mhz, 128Mb RAM + 500Mb SWAP file.

====================================

Three boot methods available.
Make your boot choice and you can delete 2 initrd files to save 15 Mb space from the system size.

Never use the same /live folder name for more DebianDog frugal install on different partitions. Use different folder name for more DebianDog frugal install. You will find information and example boot codes in the links below for each boot method.

==================================

DebianDog is set to autologin as root. If you like to use it as multiuser system it is recommended to start XDM login manager.
Just type in terminal xdm-start and reboot. xdm-stop will reverse back autologin as root.

Login details:
root with password root
puppy with password puppy

Check for updated iso images here first.

Download link:
1. DebianDog-Squeeze-hybrid-30.04.2016.iso - 147 Mb
Mirror1
Default WM - JWM with option to switch to IceWM.
Default File Manager - XFE with option to use Rox.
Default Internet Browser - Dillo.
md5sum

Code: Select all

root@debian:~# uname -a
Linux debian 3.2.0-0.bpo.4-486 #1 Debian 3.2.57-3+deb7u2~bpo60+1 i686 GNU/Linux
You can download separate DEVX, locales and other extra sfs modules here or using sfs-get from the menu.

Archive DebianDog-Squeeze repository:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... /Packages/

To test DebianDog for first time you need to burn it on CD and boot from it, or use DebDog-Squeeze-installer ( click here to download and extract the archive - working from most linux systems) to make frugal install to HDD, USB or SD-card. Or extract /live folder on top of a partition or USB and add boot code in grub menu.lst. Read the text file inside.

DebianDog-Squeeze iso is changed to iso-hybrid and you can make bootable usb from it using dd command. This option is for users with more experience and makes the usb partition with DebianDog files read-only without option to replace the included boot menu with custom menu entry.
Hybrid-iso to usb example using /dev/sdb flash drive posted here.

It is recommended to use DebianDog-Squeeze-installer working on most linux systems ( click here to download and extract the archive ) instead using dd command to create bootable usb.

To keep the size small as possible all /usr/share/locale files for the included packages are moved in separate squashfs module (03-squeeze-locale.squashfs) available for download from sfs-get or from here.
In case you like to change the localization install locales and load the module or place it inside /live/image/live to be loaded at boot time.
You can also install localepurge and copy only the language files you need from the squashfs module in /usr/share/locale directory to save space in the future.
More information about changing localization read here, here and here.
Included menu-openbox from Fred with localisation support (the default menu displays categories and menu entries only in English). In case you like to change the localisation type menu-openbox in terminal or start it from System -> Menu Openbox.

Included clearRAM script in case you have very old machine (128 - 256Mb RAM).
Run it in terminal from time to time and the system will work faster. For example this is the result running the script after fresh boot without starting any applications (256Mb RAM computer):

clearRAM 
This script will clear cached memory and free up your ram.

At the moment you have 110 MiB cached and 34 MiB free memory.
This freed 128 MiB, so now you have 162 MiB of free RAM.
More tips from William read here.

===============================================
Changes from DebianDog-Wheezy version:

1. Default web browser Dillo.
2. New make encrypted save file utility available from menu entry.
3. Pup-volume-monitor changed.
4. Gnome-mplayer-1.0.7 replaced with Gmplayer-4.6.3-SVN-r32666
5. Some scripts changes to work in squeeze.
6. Yad replaced with older 0.19 version.
7. Different gtkdialog binary (Pburn wasn't working with default gtkdialog from Wheezy).
8. PicDrop desktop icon removed (it doesn't work in squeeze).
9. Compression changed from xz to gzip for the main module, all extra modules for download and remstering scripts. The iso now is 40Mb bigger just because this compression type change but works fast and well on very old hardware. You can still use, load, boot, create xz compressed modules from DebianDog-Squeeze if it is needed.
10. Older version of sfs-get-smokey-get without elinks as dependency. Loading the site content slower but saves 12Mb space.
11. RemasterDog and RemasterCow moded with extra cleaning in /var/run needed for Squeeze.
12. No systemd boot options (systemd is not available in squeeze repository).
=============================================
Related links:
Web-browser certificate validation problems
Lumina Desktop for DebianDog and MintPup
Kingston wps-office sfs module
MintPup (Trusty LTS)
DebianDog-Wheezy
Infinality fonts packages for Debian Wheezy (thanks to Keisha)
DebianDog wireless LAN HowTo thread
DebianDog HowTo thread
DebianDog Utilities thread
DebianDog Packages section
Setting up Chinese fonts github wiki from limelime
Systemd boot information
Install Spotify on Debian/DebianDog
DebianDog + Blue Pup Quirky Tahr Dual Boot USB Stick How-To
How To Make A Network Storage NAS Appliance With DebianDog and OpenMediaVault

DebianDog-Wheezy
Use old Skype version after 01.08.2014

03.02.2015 - The iso replaced with new version. Information about the changes here.
============================================
14.10.2014 - The iso replaced with new version. Information about the changes here.
27.09.2014 - The iso replaced with new version. Information about what is included here.

Original first post - all old base iso files moved here so no need to read further. I prefer not to remove this information because the first few pages posts are connected to the old base iso versions.

This is something I made for my needs and might be of interest for others.

Light-Debian-Core-Test.iso download link:
http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/De ... bian-Core/

Thanks to Smokey01 we have permanent home:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/

It is only testing version of cleaned Debian Squeeze 6.0.8 Live CD.
Special thanks to JBV for his guidance and magic tricks I learn from him and to Sickgut for opening my eyes to Debian Live project.
Light-Debian-Core-Test.iso uses kernel 3.2.0-0.bpo.4-686-pae
Xserver-xorg-core, JWM, H3V web browser, XFE file manager, ZIP archiver, ALSA, WVDial, Wireless-tools, Wpasupplicant, Squashfs-tools supporting xz compression, modified part of filemnt puppy linux script to mount SFS, Squashfs and ISO files with single click (new window opens and after closing the file is auto-unmounted). There is Mount-Drives menu included for mounting HDD, USB and optical drives (also with scripts).
Wired internet connection should work without issues. Unfortunately I can't test wireless connection.
To use apt-get first run in terminal:

apt-get update
Created on IBM Netvista Desktop PC with PIII 600 Mhz, 128 Mb RAM and SWAP partition. Tested on several old computers and Laptop Toshiba Satellite.

The system is configured not to install suggested packages. To download suggested packages rename or delete /etc/apt/apt.conf file and run apt-get update. There is also alt-sources.list with alternative backport sources in the same folder.
If there is interest of this project I can give more detailed information.
About using save file, frugal install option, kind of full install option, remastering, cleaning save file, etc.
While I continue helping JBV with FoxyRoxyLinux I intend to work also on this project and make it more puppy like and feel and I will update this post with newer versions and changes. It will never be real puppy and it will not be able to install pet packages. I will try to keep this core as small as possible.
The main reason I post this is to give a chance for anyone who has troubles installing programs in his favorite puppy to use this small debian core, apt-get the needed program and have it working in a few minutes.
If there is no interest or the site administration feel this topic should not be here, please, move it where it fits better.

Cheers, Toni
Last edited by saintless on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 17:57, edited 95 times in total.

anikin

#2 Post by anikin »

Hi saintless,
How do I boot it via grub4dos alongside with my other puppies?

Thank you in advance.

Keef

#3 Post by Keef »

This works for me:

title Light Debian Core
   uuid 9544e76c-4dc2-4023-97f5-bad2a907641d
   kernel /live/vmlinuz boot=live
   initrd /live/initrd.img
For those not in the know, the 'uuid' is found by running 'blkid' in a terminal and copying the entry corresponding to the partition you installed to.

sunburnt

#4 Post by sunburnt »

I`ve watched the Debian Live Project for years now. Some interesting things going on over there.
I`ll give it a try saintless. Tx.

Update: A perfect example of my post in "Repositories", MyDrive offers no url for it`s shares.
Clicked the link in Firefox and it does nothing. Tried several times. I`ll try again later.

saintless

#5 Post by saintless »

anikin wrote:How do I boot it via grub4dos alongside with my other puppies?
Hi, Anikin,
extract live folder on top of a partition.

Here is my boot code (live folder is on /sda1):

title Light-Debian-Core-Test
root=(hd0,0)
kernel /live/vmlinuz boot=live config persistent swapon quickreboot noprompt autologin
initrd /live/initrd.img
boot
Last edited by saintless on Mon 30 Dec 2013, 21:24, edited 2 times in total.

puppyluvr

#6 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
D/Ling now..
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

sklimkin

#7 Post by sklimkin »

saintless wrote: Mirror download link:
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/1629e7cc
md5sum:

f54890cf8042149d3fadb443ae959fa0  Light-Debian-Core-Test.iso
Hi saintless,
This is a very interesting result.
If you do not make any secret of it:
I would like to see the details of your distribution assembly.
Which modules and what the keys are set.
What and how removed from the assembly manually.
If you can, show a log file of the assembly.

I want to say that there are very important details and nuances for those who want to repeat this work with some other source data.

saintless

#8 Post by saintless »

sklimkin wrote:If you do not make any secret of it:
I would like to see the details of your distribution assembly.
Hi, Sklimkin,
not a secret at all :) , but I'm afraid I will disapoint you about distribution assembly. There is no assembly in the real meaning of the word. I can't show a log file but it is easy to repeat what I did (at least with debian live and puppy I think).
In the next days in another post I will discribe all my steps with links to the needed files.
Short description - the result is all dpkg database and squashfs-tools with xz compression work and efforts.
I took debian live squeeze standard live cd and extracted the content of filesystem.squashfs in live-rw save file. By the way this is something between frugal and full install option.
Next step was to create small squash file with only boot and dev folders inside. All system works inside RW save file and the small squash file is only for boot. It is not needed after live-rw save file is squashed back together. After reboot with persistent grub option I have all the content of debian live cd in rw mode inside save file.
The kernel was upgradet with apt-get from bacports debian sources. Nothing is removed from kernel modules. I had to create manual iinitrd.img for it. The old kernel was removed the same way with apt-get.. Then I started purging packages with:

apt-get purge
apt-get autoremove
available and status files have all the information about the installed packages.
After that I did:

apt-get dist-upgrade
The rest of the packages were replased with the newest version.
Some more packages were added to make sure xz compression and all kind of network and audio hardware will work.
Then I did small manual cleaning from /usr/share/locales and I used a script from FoxyRoxy linux to replace all files in man, doc and info folders with zero size files with the same names (thank you JBV) and removing all .wh files. This way dpkg database doesn't complain something is missing.
The rest of the work was cleaning manual files with hardware settings from my machine, finding the best squashfs xz compression command and finding and editing right scripts for mounting files and partition . The uncompressed folder is 202 Mb and the squash file is only 55 Mb thanks to xz,
Actualy this iso has only one squash file but I have one without xorg (37 Mb) and one with xorg + x11 apps (17 MB).
As you can see it is all dpkg database work and some tricks learned from my friends in linux community :) I still consider myself as linux newb.I just try to find an easy way to get what i need from linux :)

Cheers, Toni
Last edited by saintless on Wed 04 Dec 2013, 17:15, edited 2 times in total.

emil

#9 Post by emil »

great and interesting work.
No way a linux newbie can pull it off.
You are in this "make debian live simliar to puppy" project for 2 years now. so there is a lot of know how.
Thank you!

sklimkin

#10 Post by sklimkin »

Hi, Toni,

assembly of course is the wrong word.
Better to use the word create (make).
I do custom Debian via debootstrap and chroot.
Therefore asked about the log file.

I accept/know debian live squeeze/wheezy & squashfs-modules.
frugal, persistent and full install option also known for me.

After installing Network-manager and Xorg size of the system increases dramatically. That's why I drew attention to either Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD

Just uploaded to a virtual machine Light-Debian-Core-Test.iso
Everything works fine, minimalism also understandable.

I use/select for custom install: debian-minbase + kernel + Network-manager + Xorg + LXDE + slim + mc + live-boot + live-initramfs
I could not get the result filesystem.squashfs less than 248 MB

I hope that your comments will help find a way to reduce my Debian.

Sergey.

saintless

#11 Post by saintless »

Hi, Emil :)
Nice to see you again and thank you. I have parts of your scripts also included. In fact unmount-all script is yours untouched one.

Hi, Sergey,
sklimkin wrote:I use/select for custom install: debian-minbase + kernel + Network-manager + Xorg + LXDE + slim + mc + live-boot + live-initramfs
I could not get the result filesystem.squashfs less than 248 MB

I hope that your comments will help find a way to reduce my Debian.

Sergey.
Perhaps this will help you a little:
https://wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian
Using xz compression will help you much if your kernel supports it.
I can upload version with separated xorg file. Then the base will be 37 Mb. You can start adding packages from this level.
This command gives me best compression results:

mksquashfs /live/image/01 /live/image/01-base-xorg.squashfs -b 1048576 -comp xz -Xbcj x86
Maybe it will help you as well.

I think you can spare Network-manager. I don't have it installed.
Replacing /usr/share/doc, man and info files with zero sized might spare you 50-60 Mb uncompressed data or even more.

Cheers, Toni
Last edited by saintless on Mon 09 Dec 2013, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

sunburnt

#12 Post by sunburnt »

Tried again this morning and DataFile went offline part way through again.

Suggestion: Find a better site. ( Talk to Smokey.? ).

saintless

#13 Post by saintless »

sunburnt wrote:( Talk to Smokey.? ).
Done :) Waiting for his response. I guess any free hosting site will make troubles for someone.

stu91

#14 Post by stu91 »

So light weight in size / resources full compatibility with debain repo - am i missing something, why isn't Puppy heading in this direction?

James C

#15 Post by James C »

Did a quick live test run, installed Iceweasel as a test...... old version (3.5.16) but worked, and did a quick install.It boots .....as far as I've gotten so far. :lol:

Since I also run/experiment with Debian Sid and Jessie it's impressive how you achieved such a small base to work from.Not Puppy but a very interesting project on it's own.

I'll keep checking for future updates/info.

Great job.

James C

#16 Post by James C »

FWIW, no trouble downloading from Mydrive either.

James C

#17 Post by James C »

Screenshot....with Iceweasel,Rox and taken with MtPaint.
Attachments
Debian live.jpg
(53.61 KiB) Downloaded 960 times

saintless

#18 Post by saintless »

We have permanent home for Light-Debian-Core-Live:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/
Thank you, Smokey :)
First post updated with download link.

Thank you for testing, guys. I have my self a few PC but they are all old pII, pIII. The kernel should be working well with much newer hardware that I don't have.

saintless

#19 Post by saintless »

stu91 wrote:So light weight in size / resources full compatibility with debain repo - am i missing something, why isn't Puppy heading in this direction?
I guess it is tradition to keep the original puppy structure. But also the tradition is what makes puppy and the community strong :)

Just for information - without proper cleaning and use of proper compression commands after installing 20-30 apps the size can grow up fast to unacceptable (at least for me) sizes.
For the moment I work on the core with basic applications only. I will add some more applications but I like to solve what I can with scripts first. I don't intend to make the core bigger than 100 Mb.
I think there is no need to add too much when apt-get can give a choice for every user, but suggestions are welcome.

Cheers, Toni

emil

#20 Post by emil »

Is there a way to have debian packages auto trimmed at installation with apt(zero size files added)?
If there would be a dedicated server one could also set up a trimmed repo.
then it would be a baby debian (or "babian"?).
I am very curious about the "making of" report you mentioned, looking forward to read it!
regards
emil