Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

#4156 Post by saintless »

Hi, Stemsee.
I can only guess what should the script do. This is first test result after renaming and loading the sfs. Both scripts have permissions problem:

Code: Select all

root@debian:~# nicons
bash: /opt/bin/nicons: Permission denied
root@debian:~# niui
bash: /opt/bin/niui: Permission denied
root@debian:~# chmod u+x /opt/bin/nicons
root@debian:~# chmod u+x /opt/bin/niui
Then:

root@debian:~# nicons
/opt/bin/nicons: line 29: xdotool: command not found
/opt/bin/nicons: line 29: [: =: unary operator expected
root@debian:~# niui
/opt/bin/niui: line 52: check_prep: command not found
I need to install xdotool but check_prep command is still not found. I don't know what check_prep command should do.
Anyway from quick test strip (remove) icon names work. I don't know how to reverse back the names.
Apps in rox side panel works (in grey background color). I don't know how to remove the side panel.
Draw button opens yad empty window (I guess it should have icons to choose from). I don't know how to put icons there. Drag and drop in yad window does not work.
Attachments
2015-01-15-192522_468x505_scrot.jpg
(37.57 KiB) Downloaded 938 times

stemsee

#4157 Post by stemsee »

Thanks for testing. It was working for me, but from development.

The only way to replace labels at the moment is to reselect those icons anew. I will have to retest on a pristine frugal.

To remove rox side panel must restart X. I will add code to kill pid. BTW you can drag icons to the side panel. Even after closing panel the next time you use it the icons will still be there.

Yad icons list should be populated by linking /usr/share/applications/* to /usr/share/renamed/*

check_prep is part of niui: I need to remove that as it is only useful for show/hide icons /9not implemented for DD version yet.)

regards stemsee

stemsee

#4158 Post by stemsee »

I must have been tired yesterday! Anyway hopefully this will be functional on your system. Depends on gtkdialog, yad, xdotool.

If this is ok then I think I can implement the full nicons script simply by changing path argument in a test function. Except wallpapers and pin per desktop.
Attachments
2015-01-16-143206_212x272_scrot.png
(12.9 KiB) Downloaded 855 times
nicons-DD-0.3.sfs.gz
(12 KiB) Downloaded 350 times

saintless

#4159 Post by saintless »

Hi, Stemsee.

Thank you for your effort, but I have other things to test and fix for DD. All I can do is quick testing by following your instructions.
Yes, if I create /usr/share/renamed folder and link there all files from /usr/share/applications and pick some of them - Draw function works.
From root account all seems to work.
"Apps in Rox Side panel" and "New Side Panel" buttons do the same thing. You can make many panels to switch with "rox --right=PANEL" command replacing PANEL with different name for each one. Maybe it will be better to rename the buttons to "Side panel 1" and "Side panel 2" or similar. Then everyone will understand each button loads different named side panel.

From user account only Drawing and Side panel buttons work.
Restore original Icons button breaks the desktop. Haven't tested this but I guess you are using /root/... as path in the script. Maybe using $HOME/ instead (as I posted the path here) will fix this.

Toni

fredx181

#4160 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni, All

Here's .deb package for portablesfs (thoroughly tested this time, :) )
I think I did the packaging right but it's not easy these days with the new "rules" (for gsu/gksu))
Attached portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb.tar (remove dummy .tar extension)
Included loadsfs-fuse and loadsfs-fuse-writesfs scripts (see further below)

Changes for portablesfs:
- Removed the entry for entering command to be executed.
- Instead of above (running a command) a "Applications" menu will appear when running created portable-script.
- Name of created portable script will named after *.squashfs or *.sfs module, e.g. "023-abiword-2.8.6-docx-portable"
- Depends on unionfs-fuse for the "Chroot mode"
- Took over some commands from Sfs-load mode to add to the Chroot mode, this way Chroot mode is just as reliable as Sfs-load mode (works the same with any module I tested)

Also in the .deb:
- loadsfs-fuse. Same as (before posted) previously named 'loadsfs' (with some fixes that makes it work with all modules I tested) Can be used for Drag'nDrop a module using "Chroot mode" , which depends on unionfs-fuse.
- loadsfs-fuse-writesfs. Same as above, but different, from included /usr/local/bin/Readme_loadsfs-fuse-writesfs:

The 'loadsfs-fuse-writesfs' script doesn't leave any traces behind in the filesystem / but:
It writes the config files (or any other) that a program creates to: /root/writesfs directory
When loading a module using 'loadsfs-fuse-writesfs' a program will read the content of /root/writesfs.
So, to start fresh everytime you need to delete /root/writesfs
Ok, last :)
Attached loadmodule_loadsfs.tar.gz:
Includes:
. New 'loadmodule' script, fixes:
- When (sometimes) a module fails to unload, added forcing unmount (in case it doesn't normally)
- Added workaround for OpenBox version to show the application in the menu after loading.
Toni, I found that on Jwm version there's no problem at all so you can keep the older version if you want.
. Script "loadsfs"
It is using the default "Sfs-load mode" and I think this will be best to use for the SFSdrop icon on the Desktop.
Disadvantage is that it doesn't work with full install.
Advantage is that it doesn't need unionfs-fuse package
loadsfs-fuse can also be used, I'm not sure yet what's best.

Please test when you have time, Toni, no hurry, I know it's a lot to test.
Btw, looking at all changes, I think the new release of DebianDog will be great, lots of useful innovations!

Edit: Small disadvantage for portablesfs "Chroot mode", loadsfs-fuse and loadsfs-fuse-writesfs:
When using it when logged in with normal user account, sudo and su doesn't work (when running Xterm from "Applications" menu and trying to use sudo or su). Can't figure out why.

Edit: New portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb uploaded with sudo fix
Edit2: Attachment removed, See for new portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 787#823787

Fred
Attachments
loadmodule_loadsfs.tar.gz
New loadmodule + loadsfs
(3.8 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 19:48, edited 2 times in total.

saintless

#4161 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Fred!
Many improvements for sfs loading scripts :)
fredx181 wrote:Here's .deb package for portablesfs (thoroughly tested this time, :) )
I think I did the packaging right but it's not easy these days with the new "rules" (for gsu/gksu))
The deb package looks fine to me.
Attached loadmodule_loadsfs.tar.gz:
Includes:
- When (sometimes) a module fails to unload, added forcing unmount (in case it doesn't normally)
- Added workaround for OpenBox version to show the application in the menu after loading.
Toni, I found that on Jwm version there's no problem at all so you can keep the older version if you want.
It is better to have the same scripts in both versions when it is possible. I will rename the old one and keep it in case I find some problem with the new loadmodule in DD-Jwm.
Script "loadsfs"
It is using the default "Sfs-load mode" and I think this will be best to use for the SFSdrop icon on the Desktop.
Disadvantage is that it doesn't work with full install.
Advantage is that it doesn't need unionfs-fuse package
loadsfs-fuse can also be used, I'm not sure yet what's best.
We can add second icon on the desktop for loadsfs-fuse named SFSdrop-chroot or think of some way to create it from debdog-full-install script, or we can just add the information how to change the path for SFSdrop icon for full install in Howto thread.
My opinion is to keep loadsfs for SFSdrop icon as default for frugall install.
Edit: Small disadvantage for portablesfs "Chroot mode", loadsfs-fuse and loadsfs-fuse-writesfs:
When using it when logged in with normal user account, sudo and su doesn't work (when running Xterm from "Applications" menu and trying to use sudo or su). Can't figure out why.
I thought it is permissions problem for sudo or sudoers in /mnt/unionfs... folder but it is not. I will also try to find fix for this.

Edit: From root account typing sudo in Applications -> xterm gives correct output. The problem is for user account.

Edit 2: Just found something related here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/299878/e ... environmet
According to this post the problem could be in nosuid but it does not give real solution:

puppy@debian:~$ mount
unionfs-fuse on /mnt/unionsfs_13204 type fuse.unionfs-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other)
Edit 3: About loadsfs-fuse I will make /opt/bin/load-sfs-chroot-full_install with content:

#!/bin/bash
loadsfs-fuse "$@"

Then create links for right click on sfs files in Rox and XFE. If you make something similar for Thunar this should be enough as option for loading sfs in full install.

Edit 4: About sudo problem I can use sudo from user account by starting xterm with click on /.unionfs/Xterm.desktop or /mnt/unionsfs_20128/usr/bin/xterm
The problem is only when starting xterm with double click from Applications yad window.

Toni

fredx181

#4162 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks for your suggestions and investigation, Toni!

The nosuid was indeed the problem, fixed by adding "suid" to the options of unionfs-fuse mounting.
But once that worked, there were other complications, so made some more changes (e.g. export PATH)
sudo is working now.
Btw, 07-vbox-light-xz.squashfs is a good test case because of it's complexity and needing sudo (gsu) when typing "start-virtualbox" in Xterm window.

Attached new portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb.tar (remove dummy .tar)
For information see here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 577#821577

It is better to have the same scripts in both versions when it is possible. I will rename the old one and keep it in case I find some problem with the new loadmodule in DD-Jwm.
Yes, it will do no harm on Jwm version.
Edit 3: About loadsfs-fuse I will make /opt/bin/load-sfs-chroot-full_install with content:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
loadsfs-fuse "$@"

Then create links for right click on sfs files in Rox and XFE. If you make something similar for Thunar this should be enough as option for loading sfs in full install.
Good idea, I will look at it.
Edit 4: About sudo problem I can use sudo from user account by starting xterm with click on /.unionfs/Xterm.desktop or /mnt/unionsfs_20128/usr/bin/xterm
Just for information, I changed the directory to /unionfs instead of /.unionfs (needed to solve part of the complications after adding suid option)

Edit: Attachment portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb removed from here. See for new portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 787#823787

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 19:51, edited 3 times in total.

saintless

#4163 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Attached new portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb
Thanks, Fred!
Uploaded in DD repository section included and added to next version changes post.
Also added:

apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
This is a fix for gpr error after running apt-get update. I guess you get the same erorr lately:

W: GPG error: ftp://ftp.deb-multimedia.org wheezy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 5C808C2B65558117
Toni

fredx181

#4164 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:Uploaded in DD repository section included and added to next version changes post.
Whoopeee! It made it to the official DD repo :D
Forgot to reply on this previously:
It's because then you run Xterm from the normal system, not from the chroot environment.
The yad Applications window is started from being inside the chroot.
Code:
apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring

This is a fix for gpr error after running apt-get update. I guess you get the same erorr lately:
Thanks, yes, I noticed already.

Fred

fredx181

#4165 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

Here's a little script I think I'll use sometimes, maybe it can be useful for you or anyone.
It can be used only to chroot into a full filesystem module e.g. 01-filesystem.squashfs (or maybe a main .sfs from puppy, didn't test that).
The advantage is that you can chroot into it without having to extract the module with unsquashfs first.
It's based on loadsfs-fuse but instead of opening Applications menu it opens xterm and from there you can enter commands.
It is not combined with the actual running system, just exclusively the system from the 01-filesystem.squashfs that is loaded.
Anything that has been written into it will be in /root/writesfs.
Network connection should work, disk volume monitoring is not running.

Attached chrootin.tar (dummy .tar)

Edit: made some improvements:
- not using a function now for the chroot .... /bin/bash .. command
This way with a bash version not supporting to execute a function it still *works*.
(I noticed the problem when I tested loading puppy_precise_3.7.2.sfs).
- Tries to show the yad "Applications" gui whenever possible, otherwise it shows xterm.
- instead of /root/writesfs for "write" folder, it will named after the module, e.g /root/puppy_precise_3.7.2.sfs.
When testing different modules with same name (e.g. 01-filesystem.squashfs) the content will be mixed in the "/root/01-filesystem.squashfs" write directory. Better delete it first to start fresh.

Far from perfect, please see it as a funny experiment.
Works well when "spying" :) into another DD version , e.g. from Jwm > Openbox and vice versa.
Attachments
chrootin.tar
New uploaded improved chrootin script: For to chroot into a main module without having to extract with unsquashfs first.
(7.82 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 23 Jan 2015, 19:52, edited 4 times in total.

saintless

#4166 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Fred!
Added to the next version changes list. I will keep it in /opt/bin

Toni

fredx181

#4167 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote: I will keep it in /opt/bin
Better in "/opt/test/experimental/very-experimental" :shock: :)

Fred

saintless

#4168 Post by saintless »

OK, Fred :) I will place it in /opt/bin/special/test-first.

Uploaded deb in extra packages section: peasyscale_1.8_i386.deb. Depends on libjpeg-progs installed with synaptic or apt-get.
More information here.

Toni

Edit: Deb package updated to version 1.8
Last edited by saintless on Thu 29 Jan 2015, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#4169 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

I don't have more ideas to include in DD for the moment and I will start remastering all changes we have in next changes post. I just like to test properly the system with all changes added in the main module. No hurry to upload new DD version. I will wait for your word about that.

Toni

fredx181

#4170 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
I don't have more ideas to include in DD for the moment and I will start remastering all changes we have in next changes post. I just like to test properly the system with all changes added in the main module. No hurry to upload new DD version. I will wait for your word about that.
Yes, I did already make remaster from time to time, just like to test a little more and I'll let you know when I'm ready.
I'll come up later with a new sfs-get-smokey-get .deb with a small fix for sfs-get and updated template files (for gdrive-get and smokey-get)
Also i found portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse needs small fix. (sometimes leaves trace behind: ( /.unionfs folder) ).

Edit: Improved a little bit the chrootin script, see my Edit a few posts before.

Fred

saintless

#4171 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Seems mplayer2 does not work on some P-II:

MPlayer interrupted by signal 4 in module: read_subtitles_file
- MPlayer crashed by an 'Illegal Instruction'.
  It usually happens when you run it on a CPU different than the one it was
  compiled/optimized for.
  Verify this!
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
cat /proc/cpuinfo shows:

root@debian:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 3
model name      : Pentium II (Klamath)
stepping        : 4
microcode       : 0x35
cpu MHz         : 231.796
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov mmx
bogomips        : 463.59
clflush size    : 32
cache_alignment : 32
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:
Compiled on the same machine and working mplayer2 uploaded here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... led.tar.gz
Maybe it will be useful for someone else.

Toni

fredx181

#4172 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Compiled on the same machine and working mplayer2 uploaded here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... led.tar.gz
Thanks, this doesn't mean any change for mplayer2 on DebianDog I assume?

Bugfix for debdog-install:

For using ext4 (when checkbox 'Disable journal on ext4' is enabled) it's ok but when I tested installing to usb pendrive with ext2 filesystem it won't boot (but only when mounted already during install).
It's a mistake I made in the script; The boot flag is set after checking if it's mounted already.
So if this is the case (mounted already) the boot flag will not be set, FIXED now by changing the order (now it's set before checking if mounted already).
The reason why it works well with ext4 and checkbox ticked is that the filesystem will be unmounted.
This way the checking if it's mounted already is negative so the boot flag will be set in that case.
(I like to explain a little but having a hard time to find the right words for this :) )

Attached debdog-install.tar (remove dummy .tar extension)

DebianDog-Installer appimage updated with same fix:

https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... -Installer

Make it executable:

chmod +x DebianDog-Installer
Fred
Attachments
debdog-install.tar
Fixed bug in debdog-install
(17.18 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 24 Jan 2015, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#4173 Post by saintless »

Attached debdog-install.tar (remove dummy .tar extension)

DebianDog-Installer appimage updated with same fix:

https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... -Installer
Thanks, Fred! Added in next version changes post.
...this doesn't mean any change for mplayer2 on DebianDog I assume?
No change for the included mplayer2.
Just available for download extra mplayer2 for P-II machines.

Toni

fredx181

#4174 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

Here's new sfs-get-smokey-get_1.0.1_i386.deb and portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb.
(remove dummy .tar extension)

Changes for sfs-get-smokey-get:
- sfs-get script can now only select directory for saving (was a bit confusing as you could select a file also).
- updated all 'template' files in /usr/local/smokey-get and /usr/local/gdrive-get.
(added your second google-drive as 'toni2', hope you don't mind, if you do, just feel free to remove it in the .deb)

Changes for portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse:
- leaves no /.unionfs folder behind when using portablesfs script or loadsfs-fuse (I noticed it sometimes did)
- changed for "loadsfs-fuse-writesfs" the 'write' directory name to /root/<name_of_module> instead of previously /root/writesfs

I think within a few days I'll upload new iso.
Maybe it's good idea we upload test iso this time, so we can test each others version first before final release.
Lots of big changes this time!

Edit: Q; Do we replace initrd1.img with new initrd1.img-wh ?

Fred
Attachments
portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb.tar
New portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse
(8.1 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
sfs-get-smokey-get_1.0.1_i386.deb.tar
New sfs-get-smokey-get
(92.07 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 25 Jan 2015, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#4175 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Here's new sfs-get-smokey-get_1.0.1_i386.deb and portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse_1.0.1_i386.deb
Thanks, Fred! I will replace them in DD repository.
(added your second google-drive as 'toni2', hope you don't mind,
I don't mind.
Maybe it's good idea we upload test iso this time, so we can test each others version first before final release.
OK, but I doubt I or anyone else can test your script improvements better than you :)

Edit:BTW I will add one more category in portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse inside /usr/share/applications/sfsportable.desktop to make it appear in Utility for MJWM menu in Jwm version.
fredx181 wrote:Edit: Q; Do we replace initrd1.img with new initrd1.img-wh ?
Yes.

Toni