Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Satori

hardware clock gets changed

#3841 Post by Satori »

Hiyas...

I've been keeping an eye on this project and test the releases as they come out, I beleive a jessie variation will finally give me
a reason to switch from dpup. Yes, I did try the jessie you were testing, if it only had SMP then I would have made it a main stay.

But...

I switch between various puppies, including yours, on a dell E6510 laptop. I'm finding that after rebooting from DebianDog
that the computer's hardware clock is off by a few hours, means I have to go to the bios and muck with it there.

Anyone else have this problem?

DebianDog kernel 3.14, Porteus boot, most recent DebianDog release (downloaded Oct. 15)

(almost ready for prime time)
Last edited by Satori on Fri 31 Oct 2014, 04:14, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#3842 Post by dancytron »

Yes, it has to do with how the real time clock is setup. Debian expects it to be UTC (Greenwich mean time) and Windows and others expect it to be local time. Hang on and I'll add the setting to change to this message.

edit: What you need to do is find the file /etc/adjtime. Open it up and in that file change UTC to LOCAL. You may need to reset the timezone again and restart to get it all straight.

Satori

#3843 Post by Satori »

hmmmm....

that may be the solution, however it seems that after editing adjtime, the next reboot will
regen the file with UTC in it.

happens on both savefile and in change folder usage.

dancytron

#3844 Post by dancytron »

Are your other changes surviving reboot?

It worked for me, dual booting with Windows XP.

Maybe some others will be able to figure it out.

Locky

#3845 Post by Locky »

Thanks for the quick reply Toni!

After a bit of mucking around I have decided to go with the DebianDog Wheezy live-boot-3x- version with the following options

append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live toram=01-filesystem.squashfs

If I want to include another squashfs file what is the syntax to append to the above line?

What I really would like to do is get openbox working like crunchbang as I have become accustomed to the interface and I find it very easy to work with. To that end I have been experimenting with modifying the openbox config and playing with the scripts etc from crunchbang according to the following link...

http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/adding_ ... her_distro

I also tried to add the crunch bang repo and added a few of the meta packages via apt-get which, unsurprisingly, broke the system.

What are the key system directories/files not to touch? Updating the kernel via apt-get is a no no obviously and anything to do with boot settings... any other tips? It is probably better to work from the ground up rather than a hit and miss apt/get approach but it would be nice to know :D

regs
Locky

saintless

#3846 Post by saintless »

Hi, Satori!
Thank you, Dan!
Satori wrote:hmmmm....

that may be the solution, however it seems that after editing adjtime, the next reboot will
regen the file with UTC in it.

happens on both savefile and in change folder usage.
Just tested with both DebianDog versions and it works for me also as Dan suggested saving the change in /etc/adjtime after reboot (with save file and save folder). What I can suggest to test is:
Try setting up again time zone with:

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
And try also this command:

hwclock --localtime
Check if /etc/localtime is not a symlink for some reason (found this problem here):
Worked it out thanks to jamzed. for some reason I had /etc/localtime as a symlink... the IT Guy here set up the server using Turnkey 12 so maybe that was the problem.

# mv /etc/localtime /etc/localtime.old
# cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Adelaide /etc/localtime
# date
Thu May 23 09:36:17 CST 2013
Toni

saintless

#3847 Post by saintless »

Hi, Locky!
Locky wrote: After a bit of mucking around I have decided to go with the DebianDog Wheezy live-boot-3x- version with the following options

append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live toram=01-filesystem.squashfs

If I want to include another squashfs file what is the syntax to append to the above line?
Sorry to say this but live-boot-3x and live-boot-2x are bad choice if copy to ram is often used. The problem is there is no command to load second squashfs module in RAM. The choice is only one module in RAM.
Or using only toram parameter - will copy to RAM all the content of USB/HDD partition containing /live folder.
You can remaster always the changes in one module but it is not good solution.

If Copy to RAM is important for you then choose porteus-boot. It will copy to ram only the squashfs modules inside /live and its subfolders. The boot parameter for porteus-boot is copy2ram. More information about porteus boot codes here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 456#774456
I also tried to add the crunch bang repo and added a few of the meta
packages via apt-get which, unsurprisingly, broke the system.
This is exactly the problem we work on the last few pages :) Making DebianDog packages safe (and I hope) compatible with standard Debian system. What I can suggest for safe testing is to use new save file or no persistent. After installing few programs from crunch bang repo use RemasterCow (Create module from changes) with no-dpkg-registration activated to create separate module. Then you can load, test and unload this module till you find the problem and rebuild it fixed and safe for the system.
What are the key system directories/files not to touch? Updating the kernel via apt-get is a no no obviously and anything to do with boot settings... any other tips? It is probably better to work from the ground up rather than a hit and miss apt/get approach but it would be nice to know :D
Updating the kernel if it is from official debian repo is not a problem. We have included utility to create new initrd files for porteus boot and live-boot-2x. You can read more here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 460#774460
System files not to touch is difficult to answer. Be careful with the files in /etc and its subfolders in general. Use google typing "the file location and debian" for searching more information about the file.

Maybe Fred will add something specially for OpenBox later.

Toni

anikin

Re: hardware clock gets changed

#3848 Post by anikin »

Hi everyone,
Satori wrote:I switch between various puppies, including yours, on a dell E6510 laptop. I'm finding that after rebooting from DebianDog
that the computer's hardware clock is off by a few hours, means I have to go to the bios and muck with it there.

Anyone else have this problem?
This issue will occur on any machine that dual boots with Windows. What's happening is a clash of cultures, two great schools of thought - Microsoft vs nix. Linux uses UTC, while localtime is standard for Windows. The following piece is from antix.
How to set the correct date and time?

There are 3 possible issues:

1) wrong timezone 2) wrong selection of UTC versus local time 3) BIOS clock set wrong

The first issue is addressed with sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata. Do this first. You should also be able to just check the current value with cat /etc/timezone.

Once you are sure the timezone is correct, you can work on setting your BIOS clock. Do this with the hwclock command. First do a man hwclock and then run hwclock --show to see what it is set to. It always reports in localtime which is why you need to first make sure your timezone is set correctly.

Use hwclock --localtime or hwclock --utc depending on whether you want your hardware clock to be set to localtime or utc. Most pure Linux systems use utc. Most dual boot systems use localtime.

Then, after you get your date command working via the sudo command you posted, you can use hwclock --systohc to set the hardware clock so it matches your system time. Again, you need the timezone and localtime/utc choice set correctly first (although if you want to assume they are set correctly already then this is the only command you need to run to get your changes to the date command to stick. If you assumed incorrectly then you will likely get mysteriously screwed by DST a few times per year).

Finally, if you are having problems with hwclock drift or if you are a perfectionist then you can install the ntp package which will use time servers on the net to keep your clock exactly on time. But you have to first go through the steps above before ntp will work correctly.

saintless

#3849 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Anikin!

Your post added in HowTo thread.

Toni

Satori

#3850 Post by Satori »

the recommended hwclock procedures fail on DebianDog Wheezy/Porteus boot. adjfile's LOCAL always changes to UTC, and hwclock --localtime has no effect.

however, it does work on DebianDog Jessie. It shows and keeps as LOCAL in the adjtime file.

I have noticed that dpup shows hwclock -s in local time, while debiandog shows the clock in UTC .

saintless

#3851 Post by saintless »

Hi, Satori.

I don't know if this can help but I've noticed small difference in Jwm and OpenBox version (same in Wheezy and Jessie).
Jwm has ntp installed and running.
OpenBox does not have ntp installed.
Maybe worth testing depending what version you use to install:

apt-get install ntp
or uninstall:

apt-get purge ntp
To see if this makes any difference.

hwclock -s shows nothing for me. I guess my hardware is too old.

BTW I think SMP kernel for Jessie version is not hard to install. If you like to go this way we can help you.

Toni

dancytron

#3852 Post by dancytron »

Changing the adjtime file from UTC to LOCAL works for me.

I am using Open Box version. I believe I am one ISO behind the latest. Using the latest kernel and porteus type boot with change folder and save only manually or on exit.

Maybe ntp in JWM version is resetting the adjtime file?

saintless

#3853 Post by saintless »

dancytron wrote:Maybe ntp in JWM version is resetting the adjtime file?
I have no problem to change UTC to LOCAL in adjtime and it is saved after reboot with DebianDog-Wheezy-Jwm (all boot methods).
But my hardware is very old and maybe this makes a difference. Or something specific in hardware or dual boot setup creates the problem for Satori.
Or maybe some kind of conflict (like another folder with the same name /live is left on different partition or second save file with the same name...).

Toni

Satori

#3854 Post by Satori »

Hiyas...

my mistake... "hwclock -s" sets the system time from the clock, "hwclock -r" reads the hardware clock.

tried running debiandog with updated NTP (says it's at current version), without NTP and reinstalling NTP...
all have no effect on changing UTC to LOCAL.

if a DebianDog Jessie with SMP can be provided, then I'm sure you'll make a LOT of people happy as it looks like pretty mature to me.

Wheezy uses gLib 2.11 which google chrome barfs on, but Jessie uses gLib 2.18 which chrome likes.
I've become dependent on chrome, plus other apps that need a newer gLib.

saintless

#3855 Post by saintless »

Fred made jessie version upgrade only for testing and it does not include many later improvements. When Jessie becomes stable we will upgrade official DebianDog to Jessie.
I will make separate testing module for Jessie with kernel-3.14-686-pae. Check the thread for download link in the next few days.

Toni

fredx181

#3856 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Locky,
What I really would like to do is get openbox working like crunchbang as I have become accustomed to the interface and I find it very easy to work with. To that end I have been experimenting with modifying the openbox config and playing with the scripts etc from crunchbang according to the following link...
Just my 2 cents: this may go a little in the right direction, first install tint2:

apt-get install tint2
And replace from attached archive: crunch.tar.gz:
~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh (all xfce commented out except xfce4-clipman, which is almost invisible on tint2 because of dark icon)
also add in ~/.config/: folder tint2 from archive.
Restart X
Conky configuration is the default one from openbox_xfce version.
To have a wallpaper visible, install hsetroot:

apt-get install hsetroot
and uncomment line 6 from ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh (and maybe change path accordingly to the image).

Just for info: I experimented with tint2 to add some launchers, maybe it's me but it seems a little buggy for that (only sometimes works for me).
So I looked at wbar and couldn't get the wheezy version working.
The sid version worked well for me, also installed wbar-config from sid, nice!

Fred
Attachments
crunch.tar.gz
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 258 times

saintless

#3857 Post by saintless »

Hi, Satori.

Uploaded SMP kernel for Jessie version - 021-jessie-3.14-1-686-pae.zip.
Extract the archive inside /live directory (where 01.filesystem.squashfs is), change the boot code to point new vmlinuz2 and initrd file and reboot:
vmlinuz2 - kernel 3.14-1-686-pae
initrd2.img - live-boot-3x
initrd21.img - live-boot-2x
initrd21.xz - porteus-boot

If it works well and you like to replace the default kernel in 01-filesystem.squashfs - boot with the SMP kernel and update dpkg status with information about the SMP kernel typing in terminal:

0-21-update-dpkg-pae
Or single click on /opt/bin/0-21-update-dpkg-pae (the script will be deleted in a second).
Then remove the default kernel typing in terminal:

apt-get purge linux-image-3.14-1-486
And use RemasterDog to remaster the system. Replace 01-filesystem.squashfs with your remastered module (keep the same name 01-filesystem.squashfs). You can delete or move vmlinuz1, initrd.img, initrd1.img, initrd1.xz and 021-jessie-3.14-1-686-pae.squashfs. You do not need them after removing the default kernel and remastering.

If you build new iso with this remaster it will be best to rename:
vmlinuz2 -> vmlinuz1
initrd2.img -> initrd.img
initrd21.img -> initrd1.img
initrd21.xz -> initrd1.xz
This will save you the troubles to edit /isolinux/menu.cfg changing vmlinuz and initrd names.

Toni

Satori

#3858 Post by Satori »

Wow! Quck turnaround...

installed files and edited grub to boot porteus...
boot shows cpufreq starting on 8 cores, htop shows 8 cpus and 4G (installed mem)

looks real NICE!

thanks! Doggie's got a new chew toy :)

saintless

#3859 Post by saintless »

Thanks for testing, Satori!

Now we have one extra kernel module ready for official Jessie upgrade (when becomes stable).
Porteus-boot initrd is the latest version moded from Fred with option for systemd boot - in case you need it sometimes.

Toni

saintless

#3860 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Just for information:
If you need it sometimes I made testing module 091-dpkg-restore-utility.squashfs (your extra mods work with all boot methods):
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... es/Testing
It has menu entry Dpkg Status Restore Utility and includes restdpkg, restore-dpkg-status, synchronize-dpkg, dpkg-restore-utility (calls all scripts) and gawk (/var folder removed).
Found some issue while removing duplicate entries. For example in old DD versions frisbee does not have wpasupplicant as dependency and new status contains frisbee information from older DD version. Apt-get autoremove command will remove wpasupplicant in this case. Fixed this by changeng the file order in cat commands and it worked.
I will continue testing with save file made with standard Debian live cd. It works well but at the end eject, xinit and xterm are available for auto removing (as it was with wpasupplicant). I will try to fix this issue (Edit1: OK, fix found). Most likely nobody will use save file made on different debian system but it will be good to have it as option.

Edit2: About the packages (if you agree I will add it to the post with package changes information) - to add gsu as dependency (or check which gsu) of each package containing gsu line. And the description information suggested here.

Edit3: Module replaced. The fix from Edit1 added as separate script with option to start it. /opt/bin/inst-autorm script exports the output of apt-get autoremove in text file and sets the packages from this file as manually installed.

Toni