(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Sep 2020, 04:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 255 of 283 [4236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, ..., 281, 282, 283 Next
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct 2014, 15:51    Post subject:  

No problem, Fred Smile
I will use separate computer for rebuilding only kernel modules one of the next days.

Just in case you like to test sometimes the combination of restdpkg and restore-dpkg-status attached synchronize-dpkg.zip archive - (early base and testing version). In general it does what I want (at least I hope so). BTW while testing found one more fix for Jwm version for moded roxterm-gtk2 deb package.

Example testing situation (any different test is welcome):
Created save file with older version of DebianDog (no Roxterm-gtk2 installed there for example). Removed Synaptic and installed some new programs, but Synaptic has dependency needed for Roxterm. This dependency is auto-removed because roxterm is not installed. The available and status files inside this save file do not include information about roxterm and others later added in DD packages.
Then I boot latest DebianDog (Jwm or openBox) loading the same save file made with previous version. Then I load 4 different sfs files made with RemasterCow (no-dpkg-registration) and with latest apt2sfs from you. One of the modules is gawk.
If I ran apt-get update and apt-get -f install I get no errors and I can even install gawk, but starting roxterm fails because of missing dependency and roxterm is not installed according current dpkg status as few more included in later version packages.
Then I run synchronize-dpkg and at the end status is updated with correct information from the save file, main 01-filesystem.squashfs module and the other 4 sfs modules loaded at the moment.

What the script needs (and exits with error if it is not found):

1. Gawk installed or loaded from sfs.
2. The boot folder name must be live and the main module name 01-filesystem.squashfs.
3. For live-boot it needs showmounts parameter.

What the script does:
1. Search for /var/lib/dpkg/available inside main 01-filesystem.squashfs
2. Search for /var/lib/dpkg/infonew and availablenew in any extra loaded squashfs modules.
3. Merge all found and remove duplicate entries creating new /var/lib/dpkg/available file.
4. Copy the content of every /var/lib/dpkg/infonew in /var/lib/dpkg/info
5. Reads /var/lib/dpkg/info and /var/lib/dpkg/available and creates new /var/lib/dpkg/status
6. Checks and reinstalls (if found) roxterm-gtk2 and x11-xserver-utils - this is mostly Jwm version menu entries fix. OpenBox has no roxterm and it will not be installed.
7. Runs apt-get update and shows message to run apt-get -f install
After fixing few missing dependencies dpkg is happy.

What I like to add in next updated version is script with options to run restdpkg (if only sfs modules are loaded), restore-dpkg-status (when status file is deleted by mistake or broken somehow), synchronize-dpkg (when the save file is not made on the same DebianDog version and for any other possible dpkg problem).
I'm not 100% sure synchronize-dpkg does its job proper yet. More testing needed to confirm.

Toni
synchronize-dpkg.zip
Description  Extract the zip archive.
zip

Download 
Filename  synchronize-dpkg.zip 
Filesize  3.22 KB 
Downloaded  272 Time(s) 

fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 05:00    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Quote:
Just in case you like to test sometimes the combination of restdpkg and restore-dpkg-status attached synchronize-dpkg.zip archive - (early base and testing version).

Thanks Toni, looks promising!
I tried already once (using savefile made with older DD) but it was not the right testcase because everything was ok already before running your script.
So I need to find different but similar situation as you described about roxterm/synaptic.
I'll probably get back later today.

Edit: Having positive results from very simple test:
On openbox beta version (without sfs-get_smokey-get) I removed wget (dependency of sfs-get_smokey-get) and installed also some programs.
Then booted latest DD with the same savefile , tried apt-get -f install, that did nothing, ran your script and did again apt-get -f install and wget got installed. Smile

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 08:11    Post subject:  

Thanks, Fred, I like to read positive results Smile

I like to test it in more complicated situations as save file created from other Debian Wheezy Live CD (official and based on Debian Wheezy) and using the same save file with DebianDog.
I think live-boot-3x function needs some more work in case mixed load of extra squashfs modules on boot (inside /live) and after boot (with load modules) - in both cases the mount point is diiferent with live-boot-3x. I have possible solution for this without need to change loadmodules and I will test it later. But even if I can't - restdpkg covers this extra loaded modules dpkg-update for all boot methods. Also some more moded from official Debian packages could be included for reinstall to prevent adding unneeded dependencies.
Then I will add extra script that calls restdpkg, restore-dpkg-status and synchronize-dpkg in different situation and make deb package with gawk and wget added as dependencies. Then we will deside to keep it as extra tool for download when it is needed or include it in next update.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 12:26    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Inspired by your synchronize script I thought it might be good to have some sort of simple DebianDog repository. So made it easy for you to create one on http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/Included/
But maybe you have reason not to want that.

If you want can you test by doing the following?:
I prepared just for testing this 'Included' directory.
Extract the attached included.tar.gz, then in the folder 'included' are the files: Packages, Packages.gz, Contents, Release etc..
Upload all these to http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/Included/

Then to make the repository available:
Code:
# Get the signed key
cd /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/
wget "http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/Included/debdog.gpg"
# Add to sources
echo 'deb http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/Included/ ./' >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update

There are a few packages not included in the 'Packages' list because they gave errors when updating the package lists (I tested first with creating local repo).
The reason is that these packages have nothing after 'Depends:' in control file.
So they should be changed to at least something like: 'Depends: libc6' I think.

Edit: Re-uploaded included.tar.gz with all packages included now (Toni fixed the 'Depends')

Fred
included.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  included.tar.gz 
Filesize  40.07 KB 
Downloaded  245 Time(s) 

Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 25 Oct 2014, 15:25; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 13:16    Post subject:  

Thanks, Fred Smile

I don't have time to test this repository proper today but all files are uploaded and the packages without dependencies replaced.
I do not mind having repository. My only objection is if we need to maintain this repository often by changing packages list content or other files every time new package is uploaded. I suggest if this is the case to do it after every 10 new uploaded packages or something similar.
I'm not sure if some packages with the same name inside control file will make a problem or that some uploaded files are not deb packages?
What is your idea regarding synchronize-dpkg script? To auto-add this repository in sources.list or something different?

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 14:24    Post subject:  

hi, Toni,

Thanks for uploading! Now I can test proper.
It works (see screenshot), except the 'debdog.gpg' file cannot be downloaded so the repo can't be signed.
Can you upload that file again?, I noticed earlier that for some reason sometimes a file can't be downloaded.

Quote:
I do not mind having repository. My only objection is if we need to maintain this repository often by changing packages list content or other files every time new package is uploaded. I suggest if this is the case to do it after every 10 new uploaded packages or something similar.

Yes, something like that that's seems ok to me.

Quote:
I'm not sure if some packages with the same name inside control file will make a problem or that some uploaded files are not deb packages?

AFAIK the latest version will be chosen first and I noticed that through synaptic the version can be forced.
No problem having other files than .deb also in the directory.

Quote:
What is your idea regarding synchronize-dpkg script? To auto-add this repository in sources.list or something different?

Not sure what you mean exactly, I thought it would be good to have possibility to use apt-get -f install so then automatic installing package from own repo if missing dependency. So my idea is having the DD repo by default in sources.list.
This could also be handy in case when using your synchronize script.

Edit: Signing the repo is ok now! (can download debdog.gpg)
Edit2: Re-uploaded included.tar.gz with all packages included now (see my above post), thanks Toni!
(lots of packages are 'upgradable' now, even with same version, probably because of change in control file)

Fred
DD-smokey-repo-in-synaptic.png
Description  DD-smokey-repo-in-synaptic.png
png

Download 
Filename  DD-smokey-repo-in-synaptic.png 
Filesize  90.12 KB 
Downloaded  344 Time(s) 
saintless

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 15:54    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.

Quote:
I thought it would be good to have possibility to use apt-get -f install so then automatic installing package from own repo if missing dependency. So I mean having the DD repo by default in sources.list.
This could also be handy in case when using your synchronize script (no need for wget ... inside script then)

I'm not sure all moded from official deb packages are later version in Control file. This needs checking and testing. Wget makes sure the right package is downloaded.

I see two problems at the moment including custom repository in DebianDog:
1. It will be available in google search and could be used on other Debian system - we need to make sure all packages are moded with full list of dependencies (including gsu) and with proper Conflicting section. At least I think we should try to make DebianDog packages compatible with standard Debian before adding repository in sources.list
2. We have to create 4 different repositories for each packages section: included, testing, extra, fixes. Or to move all in one folder but then we do not have clear view what is included, fix for next version, extra or testing package.
3. DebianDog team has very short list of members - this means much extra work, testing and regular maintaining one or more repositories just to make possible to install with apt-get more packages instead manually downloading them. More extra work with regular updates is something I prefer to avoid when it is possible.

I suggest to keep this repository for testing for now and before including in sources.list to recheck and edit proper all Control files to be more compatible on other Debian systems. Otherwise we will copy one thing I really do not like in Puppy - its packages incompatibility.

Edit: New files from reuploaded included archive replaced on the site, Fred.

Edit2: The PATH /opt/bin in most DebianDog packages should be also fixed somehow for standard Debian system - by adding symlinks in /usr/local/bin. or by adding line to create/remove symlinks after install/uninstall, or by adding line to export /opt/bin in PATH.

Toni

Last edited by saintless on Sat 25 Oct 2014, 16:31; edited 1 time in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 16:28    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Quote:
I see two problems at the moment including custom repository in DebianDog:

Yes, good points, I might have been a little over-enthusiastic.
I'll think more about it.
For sure some things are good to fix anyway, like the proper dependencies in control files (which is not easy, I think).

Fred
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct 2014, 14:24    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

I've been studying on your synchronize-dpkg script and made some (hopefully) useful modifications:
- The name of the main module can be anything (no need to be '01-filesystem.squashfs')
(just uses the first in alpha-numerical order)
- The 'showmounts' parameter is not needed now (mounts modules on /live/* if showmounts parameter is missing).
- When using live-boot-3x the loaded module(s) at boot will be mounted on /live/* (and unmounted at the end)

I added 'Fred' to every modification in comments so you can easily see what's changed.

Attached: synchronize-dpkg-mod.tar.gz

Fred
synchronize-dpkg-mod.tar.gz
Description  Small modifications for synchronize-dpkg
gz

Download 
Filename  synchronize-dpkg-mod.tar.gz 
Filesize  3.82 KB 
Downloaded  270 Time(s) 
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct 2014, 14:49    Post subject:  

Thank you very much, Fred Smile

The script will be much more flexible now.
I just tested synchronizing dpkg status with save file made with Debian-Live-LXDE-CD and it worked almost without issues. Not like I recommend using save file made on different system - I do not. But this test shows one more problem for DebianDog. I decided to test after synchronizing dpkg changing frisbee with sns. I lost internet connection and got frisbee removed and sns not installed just because single icon name conflict:
Code:
Installing package: sns_2.1.1-1.deb
(Reading database ... 39803 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking sns (from .../opt/apps/sns_2.1.1-1.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /opt/apps/sns_2.1.1-1.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/actions/help-about.png', which is also in package gnome-icon-theme 3.4.0-2
Processing triggers for menu ...
Processing triggers for gnome-icon-theme ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /opt/apps/sns_2.1.1-1.deb

Gnome-icon-theme is dependency of gdebi which I had installed in the save file.
I suggest stop making more deb packages from puppy applications till we find safe way to do it and follow some safe procedure in the future. We also need to test/check all available packages. Any suggestion how to do it are welcome. The list for fixing gets longer with every new package we make.

Edit: Thanks for explaining so clear the mods in the script, Fred! It will help me a lot for further scripts mods having such examples.

Edit2: OK, not impossible but will take long to check all files in already made packages. Here is the result for help-about.png

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct 2014, 15:19    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Quote:
Gnome-icon-theme is dependency of gdebi which I had installed in the save file.
I suggest stop making more deb packages from puppy applications till we find safe way to do it and follow some safe procedure in the future. We also need to test/check all available packages. Any suggestion how to do it are welcome. The list for fixing gets longer with every new package we make.

Hmm... yes, probably when a user installs gnome-icon-theme on DebianDog the same conflict with sns will occur.
Ok, maybe /usr/share/pixmaps as path for the icons in case of sns could solve it, but I'm not sure, should be tested.
Shall we divide tasks to test all these? (although I don't exactly know how to do it yet, Debian package management is very complex, we underestimated things)
It could be that there are tools to check if files belong to a package, I'll try to find out about that in the next days.

Edit: First find: apt-file
Code:
apt-get install apt-file
apt-file update # Creates database
# Search for /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/actions/help-about.png
root@dog:~# apt-file search /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/actions/help-about.png
gnome-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/actions/help-about.png
root@dog:~#

Ok, that's just one file but I'm almost sure it should be possible (by making script or not) to find out about a whole filelist of a package

I've read about dpkg can do such task also, I'll investigate further.

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 15:43; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct 2014, 15:24    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.

See my edit2 in previous post - result for help-about.png
Lets think a day or two and suggest some procedure for safe making deb package. Then we will post the package list for me and you to edit when we have time. The important thing is not to duplicate work and to fix already included packages in DebianDog for the next update.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct 2014, 18:13    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

Attached script: apt-file-deb should do it but it's very slow. I'm not surprised about that though, I guess apt-file needs to scan all existing Debian packages for every file from a package.
Depends on apt-file and the apt-file database ('apt-file update' see my previous post)
Usage:
Code:
apt-file-deb /path/<package>.deb

In case you interrupt the script make sure to remove /tmp/filelist before running it again.
I can make it later more advanced, this is just try-out.

Output of frisbee and sns (frisbee showing no results so should be Ok):
(sns has virus Twisted Evil Smile )
Code:
root@dog:~# /root/Desktop/apt-file-deb /media/frisbee_1.2-20140602_i386.deb
root@dog:~# /root/Desktop/apt-file-deb /opt/apps/sns_2.1.1-1.deb
gnome-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/places/network-workgroup.png
gnome-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/actions/help-about.png
gnome-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/places/network-workgroup.png
dhcpcd5: /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks
dhcpcd5: /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/10-mtu
dhcpcd5: /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/20-resolv.conf
dhcpcd5: /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/29-lookup-hostname
dhcpcd5: /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/30-hostname
dhcpcd5: /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/02-dump
dhcpcd5: /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/01-test
dhcpcd5: /etc/dhcpcd.conf

So we can check to know at least which packages are clean or not.

Edit: Re-uploaded apt-file-deb.tar.gz, more advanced and a fix:
- Scans symlinks inside package also now.
Different output for frisbee and sns (apparently frisbee has also conflicting file from dhcpcd5):
Code:
root@dog:~# /root/Desktop/apt-file-deb /media/sda3/01-included/frisbee_1.2-20140602_i386.deb
Scanning filelist... Please wait.
If there is no output, the package is 'clean'.
root@dog:~# /root/Desktop/apt-file-deb /media/sda3/01-included/sns_2.1.1-1.deb
Scanning filelist... Please wait.
If there is no output, the package is 'clean'.
dhcpcd5: /etc/dhcpcd.conf
dhcpcd5: /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/01-test
dhcpcd5: /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/02-dump
dhcpcd5: /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/30-hostname
dhcpcd5: /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/29-lookup-hostname
dhcpcd5: /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/20-resolv.conf
dhcpcd5: /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/10-mtu
gnome-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/places/network-workgroup.png
gnome-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/actions/help-about.png
gnome-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/places/network-workgroup.png
gnome-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/actions/gtk-about.png
gnome-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/places/gtk-network.png
gnome-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/actions/gtk-about.png
gnome-icon-theme: /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/places/gtk-network.png

Edit2: although the attached script works well, there's a faster way instead, just as reliable, using this apt-file command only:
Code:
apt-file -D search /path/<package>.deb

Fred[/code]
apt-file-deb.tar.gz
Description  New apt-file-deb scanning for symlinks also now
gz

Download 
Filename  apt-file-deb.tar.gz 
Filesize  471 Bytes 
Downloaded  263 Time(s) 

Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 29 Oct 2014, 18:12; edited 4 times in total
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct 2014, 03:27    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Attached script: apt-file-deb should do it but it's very slow. I'm not surprised about that though, I guess apt-file needs to scan all existing Debian packages for every file from a package.

Thanks, Fred Smile
It will be much easier this way. Lets think also about adding missing dependencies and conflictiong packages and anything else we could find as potential problem. Then we can start editing existing packages and test them.

Toni
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct 2014, 04:45    Post subject:  

Hi, Toni,

Quote:
It will be much easier this way. Lets think also about adding missing dependencies and conflictiong packages and anything else we could find as potential problem.

Yes, Ok.

Attached scan results for included packages.
From what I see only sns and obshutdown have problem files belonging to other package.
(I thought I fixed obshutdown long time ago, just one .desktop file needs renamed)
Note: Sometimes it gives results from other packages with similar name, e.g in case of xdm it shows xdms and xdms is not really in the deb package xdm.
Same for rox > roxterm

Fred
results-included.tar
Description  scan results for included packages (remove dummy .tar)
tar

Download 
Filename  results-included.tar 
Filesize  19.04 KB 
Downloaded  271 Time(s) 
Page 255 of 283 [4236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, ..., 281, 282, 283 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: