Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrb

#3766 Post by jrb »

edit-sfs_2.0_i386-testing.deb works nicely in DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm but not in DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce

notecase-portable_1.9.8-1_i386 works nicely in both.

osmo-portable_0.2.8-1_i386.deb works nicely in both.

samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1-debdog_0.5-rc1_i386.deb works nicely in both, but /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf needs to have line 15 changed from "path = /mnt/home" since there is no /mnt/home in DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm (at least with no persistence). Could be changed to anything that both iso's have in any mode, "path = /" works for me.

yassm-smbclient-mpscan_2.6-1_i386.deb works nicely on both but if you forget to unmount the shares in /root/YASSM it hangs on shutdown needing a hard shutdown, although it doesn't seem to cause any filesystem errors. I should have noticed this before but I was trying it on a modified version of DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce (I upgraded it to Sid). Should have known to test on unmodified version before sending it to you. :oops: One other thing, only samba-login shows up on the menu in DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce. This is because /usr/share/applications/samba-search.desktop and /usr/share/applications/samba-select.desktop have "NoDisplay=true" on line 13. This should be changed to "NoDisplay=false".

Thanks for making these .debs Toni. Unfortunately, I am leaving home for the next 5 weeks on family business and will be away from internet for at least the next week. Will take usb with DebianDog and see if I can work on it when I get to more civilized area.

Cheers, J

Edit: I should mention that you can test samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1-debdog_0.5-rc1_i386.deb and yassm-smbclient-mpscan_2.6-1_i386.deb together on one computer. Just use samba-start first and then use samba-search. Yassm will find what you have shared on your computer and will mount it in /root/YASSM. Also that WinXP and Fred's computer stuff are just examples in /root/.config/yassm/samba-select.dat. You have to edit that file and put in your own share information.

saintless

#3767 Post by saintless »

Thank you, jrb :)
Take your time and do the testing when you can only.
I will fix what you have found so far and in the next days reupload the packages posting a message here.
I will test samba and yassm package as you suggested.

Toni

rcrsn51

#3768 Post by rcrsn51 »

jrb wrote:if you forget to unmount the shares in /root/YASSM it hangs on shutdown needing a hard shutdown
The YASSM package contains the shutdown script /etc/init.d/rc.yassm, but it would need some changes.
only samba-login shows up on the menu in DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce. This is because /usr/share/applications/samba-search.desktop and /usr/share/applications/samba-select.desktop have "NoDisplay=true" on line 13. This should be changed to "NoDisplay=false".
Some Puppy builders objected to having all three YASSM tools appear in the menus, considering the variety of other Samba client tools.

saintless

#3769 Post by saintless »

rcrsn51 wrote:
jrb wrote:if you forget to unmount the shares in /root/YASSM it hangs on shutdown needing a hard shutdown
The YASSM package contains the shutdown script /etc/init.d/rc.yassm, but it would need some changes.
Thank you, Rcrsn51!
I will try to mod this script to work in DD.
only samba-login shows up on the menu in DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce. This is because /usr/share/applications/samba-search.desktop and /usr/share/applications/samba-select.desktop have "NoDisplay=true" on line 13. This should be changed to "NoDisplay=false".
Some Puppy builders objected to having all three YASSM tools appear in the menus, considering the variety of other Samba client tools.
I will change them to appear all in the menu.

Toni

fredx181

#3770 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

Tested edit-sfs on my (not exactly standard) full Wheezy install and got a problem:
When there's a harmless gtk-warning, Xdialog will include it in it's output and the building fails.
I've had similar issue with debdog-install and made workaround for that some time ago.
Installing gtkdialog from inside the script went flawlessly, btw.

So,.. I couldn't resist to change some things :)
Changed line 71-98 instead of Xdialog with gtkdialog prompt for directory or ramdisk and directory selection.
(became line 71-117)
IMO the Xdialog dir select is not very intuitive so replacing with gtkdialog dir selection is improvement anyway.
Also changed the 'remember directory from previous run', to 'always have the choice'.
And more.
If you'd like to use it, tell me if there are any changes you'd like to revert to original.
At start original has the bold line about encryption, I don't understand, any use for that?

Fred
Attachments
edit-sfs-mod.tar.gz
Modified edit-sfs
(3.38 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

saintless

#3771 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred :)
I will test it and I like the mods you posted. We will replace the existing one with final official package later. BTW I started to add new changes in fixes post.
fredx181 wrote: At start original has the bold line about encryption, I don't understand, any use for that?
Me too. I thought it is something for encrypted squashfs but it is not that. I think we don't need the bold line.

Toni

saintless

#3772 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Almost official package edit-sfs_2.0_i386.deb
Added right click options for Rox and Xfe (OpenBox xfe is older version I think and has no right click Scripts option but it is not important).
If you like the idea for such option included in the package can you, please, add right click for Thunar? I'm sure it is easy but I have to learn how to do it first :)

Toni

anikin

#3773 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni, Fred and everyone,

I've run a quick test of edit-sfs in both ISO's, looks OK, a menu entry is created, further action is available, I only didn't do the actual compression yet. I'm still baffled by the mounting mystery in the JWM version and it doesn't seem to display itself in Fred's version. In my older DD I must have been using a different image mounting script. The problem seems to be worse in this, new version. I set rox as default (uncommented the corresponding line), clicking on ISO's opens rox, get them mounted in media and weird things are happening. Rox freezes, desktop icons disappear, part of another wallpaper will come up on the desktop. As Toni mentioned, there are multiple scripts, but I'm not sure, I can chose the right one without your interference.
Attachments
desktop.jpeg
(26.6 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

saintless

#3774 Post by saintless »

Hi, jrb.

I think all is fixed and works well now. Take your time and test this when you get back home or later.
jrb wrote:samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1-debdog_0.5-rc1_i386.deb works nicely in both, but /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf needs to have line 15 changed from "path = /mnt/home" since there is no /mnt/home in DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm (at least with no persistence). Could be changed to anything that both iso's have in any mode, "path = /" works for me.
Changed from /mnt/home to /live/image. Thanks to Fred we have /live/image location in any possible boot method with and without persistent. BTW /live/image is the same as /mnt/home (the boot partition).
Package replaced. Download link: samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1-debdog_0.5-rc1_i386.deb
yassm-smbclient-mpscan_2.6-1_i386.deb works nicely on both but if you forget to unmount the shares in /root/YASSM it hangs on shutdown needing a hard shutdown, although it doesn't seem to cause any filesystem errors. I should have noticed this before but I was trying it on a modified version of DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce (I upgraded it to Sid). Should have known to test on unmodified version before sending it to you. :oops: One other thing, only samba-login shows up on the menu in DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce. This is because /usr/share/applications/samba-search.desktop and /usr/share/applications/samba-select.desktop have "NoDisplay=true" on line 13. This should be changed to "NoDisplay=false".
All menu entries are visible now. /etc/init.d/rc.yassm changed to work with DD and after installing update-rc.d runs to update the service for yassm. Tested several times reboot/shutdown with mounted /root/YASSM/pupshare@PUPSERVER without problems.
Packge replaced. Download link: yassm-smbclient-mpscan_2.6-1_i386.deb

Toni

saintless

#3775 Post by saintless »

anikin wrote:Hi Toni, Fred and everyone,

I've run a quick test of edit-sfs in both ISO's, looks OK, a menu entry is created, further action is available, I only didn't do the actual compression yet. I'm still baffled by the mounting mystery in the JWM version and it doesn't seem to display itself in Fred's version. In my older DD I must have been using a different image mounting script. The problem seems to be worse in this, new version. I set rox as default (uncommented the corresponding line), clicking on ISO's opens rox, get them mounted in media and weird things are happening. Rox freezes, desktop icons disappear, part of another wallpaper will come up on the desktop. As Toni mentioned, there are multiple scripts, but I'm not sure, I can chose the right one without your interference.
Hi, Anikin.

The script that should work best for you is the one from OpenBox version. Attached in zip archive. It is different from the versions in Jwm. I will add it in next jwm version as optional.
The problem is it does not open new Rox window (and from what Terry wrote a while back Rox gives errors with all scripts).
If you use it to work quiet - single click to mount in media and next click to unmount without auto-opening new Rox window the attached script works fine from some testing in Jwm version.
If you want to have auto-opened new window after click someone has to check what is the problem with Rox errors in terminal.
The default script in Jwm version works fine when opening new XFE window instead Rox but does not keep the mounting after closing the window.
The attached one does not auto-open new window but keeps the mounting till second click unmounts the iso/sfs.

Edit: Anikin, attached second archive with 2 versions that will open new Rox window. Test them both, please. The one from OpenBox with added Rox line and the second is from jwm version mnt-img-0 with added Rox line.

Toni
Attachments
mount-img-two-versions.zip
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
mnt-img.zip
(660 Bytes) Downloaded 141 times

fredx181

#3776 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Anikin, Toni,
anikin wrote: I'm still baffled by the mounting mystery in the JWM version and it doesn't seem to display itself in Fred's version.
Do I understand well, if you click on iso or sfs in OpenBox version, it doesn't open thunar?
Btw, the script in use on OpenBox version for default mounting iso, squashfs etc.. is /usr/bin/filemnt.
I use it from the early beginning of DD and it works well for me (modified to open Thunar), so I never changed it.
So the mnt-img in /opt/bin I should maybe better remove in next release.
But maybe I didn't understand well.

Toni,
Here's edit-sfs_2.0_i386.deb.tar (remove dummy .tar)
I've never done such a thing to include 'open with...' option in a package.
The only working thing I found was editing Edit-SFS.desktop, added line:

Code: Select all

MimeType=application/x-squashfs;
And in the postinst script added 'update-desktop-database' to update the Mime types cache.
Tested in Jwm version for possible side-effect and it's OK (Jwm version doesn't have desktop-file-utils installed so it does nothing)
Regarding Thunar, there are 2 ways to add rightclick option:
- By 'open with' that reads the mimetypes coupled with an application and:
- Custom actions (in Thunar: Edit > configure custom actions) which is more advanced.

You probably had good reason not to add the gsu line on top.
Let me guess, it's because of the right-click option that skips the first window (which is very nice btw :) )
I added to the script only showing if it runs from normal user login, extra message in bold about to make sure you need to own the working directory location.

Fred
Attachments
edit-sfs_2.0_i386.deb.tar
Edit-sfs
(5.73 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

saintless

#3777 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Fred!

The script works for user without sudo as long as the location is owned by the user. All comannds used in the script do not need sudo permissions. I do not mind to change edit-sfs deb if you like to add gsu line on top. We can remove right click option too but it is nice to have it autocreated from the package.
I will check filemnt. maybe it works better with rox too.

Toni

fredx181

#3778 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote: I do not mind to change edit-sfs deb if you like to add gsu line on top
No, it's ok for me the way it is (specially with the warning message in bold I added when used as normal user) and I like the right-click option.
I will check filemnt. maybe it works better with rox too.
Just did and works fine by changing 'thunar' to rox on line 199 and uncommenting line 206 (rox -D ...)
The script has lot also for 'sfs_load' from puppy, it just doesn't do anything as sfs_load is not installed on DD.
Needs clicking the file again for unmounting.

Fred

saintless

#3779 Post by saintless »

OK, Fred :)

BTW, I'm changing a bit the site structure. I will remove some packages from Fredx181 folder (they are already moved in the new packages section). It is easy to keep track what packages are included and what are new and testing and to be included...
I will keep some packages duplicated in Fredx181 folder like gtkdialog (included for download in edit-sfs), We have there also the pictures for utilities thread and some temp files. It just was difficult to find what I need in one folder only.
Here is the new subsection:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/Packages/

Toni

anikin

#3780 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni, Fred et al,

Regarding all these mnt-img scripts, the one posted above by Toni - "mnt-img-openbox", works nice for me. Fred, your choice is "flmnt", so I had a look at it in your DD, but the lines 199 and 208 you're referring to are different. I also have another copy of this script, and the line numbers are not exactly the same as in your version. To be on the safe side, can you please, make the required mods with your firm hand and post the script here? So that, in case of failure, I can blame someone other than me :) I want to test it too. Also, do I need to rename flmnt to mnt-img and put it in /opt/bin?

saintless

#3781 Post by saintless »

anikin wrote:Also, do I need to rename flmnt to mnt-img and put it in /opt/bin?
Yes, this is quick and easy way to change it.
Or use Settings -> Set Default Apps (or change manually) /usr/local/bin/default_fs-image.rox to point filemnt instead /opt/bin/mnt-img
Or use right click on sfs, iso, squashfs file and use Set Run Action to change the path to filemnt.

Toni

fredx181

#3782 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Anikin,
Fred, your choice is "flmnt", so I had a look at it in your DD, but the lines 199 and 208 you're referring to are different. I also have another copy of this script, and the line numbers are not exactly the same as in your version. To be on the safe side, can you please, make the required mods with your firm hand and post the script here?
Sorry, didn't test filemnt on Jwm version until now. And it doesn't work, so better forget about it.
Apparently it works only on openbox version, can't figure out exactly why (probably because I copied some stuff from puppy I don't remember).

Edit: Just one very small binary was missing: 'vercmp', it's included in attached .deb.
Tested and should work now on Jwm version, maybe worth trying.
Installing will replace /opt/bin/mnt-img (is renamed filemnt to mnt-img)
Attached filemnt_1.0.0_i386.deb.tar (remove dummy .tar)

Fred
Attachments
filemnt_1.0.0_i386.deb.tar
filemnt (renamed to /opt/bin/mnt-img)
(7.4 KiB) Downloaded 260 times

saintless

#3783 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred!

I will add filemnt in Jwm version changes (as option or replacement after some testing). I see missing losetup-FULL from puppy in terminal output. Do we need it also?
Also added in changes post apt-get install gawk. It is over 2 Mb but will add final compressed size 492Kb. We will need it in case dpkg synchronize/restore scripts work as I hope in any situation.

Toni

fredx181

#3784 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
I will add filemnt in Jwm version changes (as option or replacement after some testing). I see missing losetup-FULL from puppy in terminal output. Do we need it also?
Only if you are sure it's improvement, this was only meant for possibly solving the problems that anikin has.
losetup-FULL is not needed I think, it's not installed in OpenBox version and never had problems using filemnt.
Also added in changes post apt-get install gawk. It is over 2 Mb but will add final compressed size 492Kb
Yes, ok that's not much.

Fred

anikin

#3785 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni, Fred,

I was going to stick with "mnt-img-openbox", but unfortunately it doesn't mount squashfs. Although, Fred is sceptical about flmnt in JWM/Rox, in my quick testing it mounts both squashfs and iso. So, flmnt be my choice.