Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

#3751 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
I remeber we used this squeeze lib before and changed it to symlink because transmission works with symlink and we save some space.
fredx181 wrote: One idea might be replacing the symlinks libssl.so.0.9.8 and libcrypto.so.0.9.8 by the original libs from squeeze.
Installing the libssl.so.0.9.8 .deb uses much more space, because of duplicate libs.
If you mean install from the user in order to make Spotify work it is fine for me. If you mean to include in 01-filesystem.squashfs permanent - what we get for the extra space that will be used? Is it only for making Spotify work without need of installing extra libssl.so.0.9.8 from the user?
Is it possible to edit or add in libssl.so.0.9.8 deb postremove and postinstall script to replace the link in /opt/lib and to make it again after uninstalling squeeze ibssl.so.0.9.8? We can upload the package on the site. Then the user who needs Spotify will be able to install/uninstall ibssl.so.0.9.8 without breaking transmission after uninstalling and we keep the same iso size. Same edit for libcrypto squeeze deb package.
Or do you mean something else?

Toni

fredx181

#3752 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:Is it possible to edit or add in libssl.so.0.9.8 deb postremove and postinstall script to replace the link in /opt/lib and to make it again after uninstalling squeeze ibssl.so.0.9.8? We can upload the package on the site.
That is probably best, I'll try to make it that way.

Fred

fredx181

#3753 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Can you test this libssl0.9.8 .deb to see if you agree?
It's the original from squeeze with added commands in postinst and postrm at the end.
Renamed the deb but the package name in control file is untouched.
It doesn't replace the links in /opt/lib, just removes them, and restores when uninstalling the package.
I've been thinking about making much smaller one that will replace only the 2 links in /opt/lib (which works for spotify) (and restore again when uninstalling) but then it is far from original Debian.
Btw, libcrypto.so.0.9.8 is part of the libssl0.9.8 package
Any suggestions are welcome!

https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... d_i386.deb

Edit: to be more clear about the spotify problem:
The symlinking trick that works for transmission doesn't work for spotify, it won't start.

Fred

saintless

#3754 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

It is OK for me if you like to make smaller package. Basicly we can change without troubles both libs in /usr/lib/i486, /usr/lib/i586, /usr/lib/i686/cmov with symlinks to /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9 and libssl.so.0.9.8. Exactly the same I did to make ffmpg2sfs create smaller sfs. I know the libs are different for different type of architecture but in this case it is not important I think.
Adding Squeeze libs in Wheezy is not official Debian way also. We have much not debian added in DebianDog now. The important thing is not to create problems for official packages installed from apt-get. It is OK for me even if you like to make package with both libs only to save space (instead this package).
Looking the size now I also do not mind if you like to relace the symlinks with libs in 01-filesystem.squashfs. We are talking for around 1,5 Mb space added. If it makes the things easier for you we can change the symlinks with both squeeze libs in next version. They may save some problems for other programs from Squeeze later.

Toni

saintless

#3755 Post by saintless »

dancytron wrote:
anikin wrote:Hi Toni, Fred and all,

I see the new ISO's are ready, will download them tonight and renew my setups at last. It's a shame, I'm lagging behind. I'm a bit late with the following too, or maybe not, depends on your evaluation. Here's one little thing, I really like in puppy - editsfs. Could you, guys have a look at it, if it's worth having in DD? Maybe, make it compress at the best possible ratio, add expansions like squashfs, xzm, or whatever?
I second this suggestion. Edit-SFS would be very useful. I've attached a copy (remove gz) for your reference.
Hi, Dan, Anikin, Fred and anyone interested.

First testing deb package version edit-sfs_2.0_i386.deb
It will work on any debian based system after installing gtkdialog and running apt-get -f install. Does not work well with xfe or nautilus (default debian standard gnome file manager). Added also Rox as dependency inside Control file.

Fred, this one does not have gsu line. I changed one location to $HOME and will work for user without sudo if /tmp or /home/username are chosen location. For other location with special permissions sudo must be used from terminal.

Toni

fredx181

#3756 Post by fredx181 »

saintless wrote:Hi, Fred.

It is OK for me if you like to make smaller package. Basicly we can change without troubles both libs in /usr/lib/i486, /usr/lib/i586, /usr/lib/i686/cmov with symlinks to /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9 and libssl.so.0.9.8. Exactly the same I did to make ffmpg2sfs create smaller sfs. I know the libs are different for different type of architecture but in this case it is not important I think.
Adding Squeeze libs in Wheezy is not official Debian way also. We have much not debian added in DebianDog now. The important thing is not to create problems for official packages installed from apt-get. It is OK for me even if you like to make package with both libs only to save space (instead this package).
Looking the size now I also do not mind if you like to relace the symlinks with libs in 01-filesystem.squashfs. We are talking for around 1,5 Mb space added. If it makes the things easier for you we can change the symlinks with both squeeze libs in next version. They may save some problems for other programs from Squeeze later.

Toni
Thanks, Toni, I didn't make a smaller package yet, Spotify+dependencies is huge anyway so I added link to the modified package I already made in my post about Spotify in the main stable thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 004#804004
We'll see later what to do with new release.
If you think my spotify post better belongs anywhere else, please tell me and I'll change it.

Edit: I will check your edit-sfs tomorrow, thanks!

Fred

saintless

#3757 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
If you think my spotify post better belongs anywhere else, please tell me and I'll change it.
It is fine there. Added to related links in the first post.
Spotify module and archive mirror links (sfs.txt edited):
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Debia ... a-modules/
And libssl0.9.8 uploaded here:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx ... d_i386.deb
I don't have facebook account to test it proper in Squeeze version but the extra module starts Spotify there also :)
I will check your edit-sfs tomorrow, thanks!
Thanks, I need to check again one confirmation message about removing temp directory in Debian Gnome. Tested only from terminal there but I will test it form menu entry today and fix the script if needed.
Check inside Control file. I added much dependencies there to make sure it works in standard Debian. Can't find a way to auto-install gtkdialog yet but I will test something later. The point is to mark some rules for making deb packages in the future. if we can make them work witout modifications in standard Debian it will worth the extra work.

Toni

saintless

#3758 Post by saintless »

saintless wrote:First testing deb package version edit-sfs_2.0_i386.deb
Package replaced. The pet from Dan does not have xz - gzip compression option. This one is from Anikin's post moded also for maximum xz compression.
Edit: For Standard Debian Gnome install only - confirmation for removing x0-lock temp file is not fixed yet but working on it. It appears only from time to time in terminal but because of this message starting from menu entry does not open Rox window after mksquashfs command sometimes.

Toni

saintless

#3759 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

This edit-sfs package is testing version for you only. Nothing important so take your time and test it when you can.
Changes from previous package:
gtkdialog3 inside the script changed to gtkdialog
Removed gtkdialog from Control dependencies and check lines added inside /usr/bin/edit-sfs. On first run if gtkdialog exists the script starts. If it doesn't it will be auto-downloaded and installed and then the script starts.
Not very good solution but I can't do it from postinst script. It works only if the package with gtkdialog dependency is configured last. Otherwise installing gtkdialog fails because dpkg is locked for configuring other dependencies.
I can't find a way yet to use preinst script to download and install gtkdialog first.
Just testing the possibilities and sharing the result for making DebianDog packages that will work in standard Debian without modifications.

Toni.

saintless

#3760 Post by saintless »

Hi, Jrb.
jrb wrote:YASSM the samba share mounter. This folder contains YASSM-2.6.5-debdog.tar.gz, samba_client-3.0.37-debdog.tar.gz, and mpscan_0.1.0-i486-s-debdog.tar.gz. Extract these all into / , restart X and Yassm share-login, Yassm share-search and Yassm share-select will appear in the "Internet" menu.
I'm not sure this packages depend on each other but i builded one single deb with all of them - yassm-smbclient-mpscan_2.6-1_i386.deb
It gives error message about missing /etc/samba/samba.conf file and i see some Fred's share folder that asks for password. If you like to test it and needs something to be added or removed I will rebuild it.
For system safety it is setup to conflict with official debian samba and smbclient (if you try to install them with synaptic or apt-get you will see message this package will be uninstalled first). If samba is still needed separate from apt-get I can change it not to conflict.
osmo-0.2.8-p4-debdog.tar.gz. This will appear in the "Other" menu.
Here is osmo-portable_0.2.8-1_i386.deb
For system safety it will be uninstalled first if you want to install the much bigger debian osmo package with apt-get.
notecase_nogs-1.9.8-no_gtksourceview-1-q1-debdog.tar.gz. This will also appear in the "Other" menu.
Here is notecase-portable_1.9.8-1_i386.deb
I can't find debian version package with this name so it should be safe to install as it is.

Toni

fredx181

#3761 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
This edit-sfs package is testing version for you only. Nothing important so take your time and test it when you can.
Changes from previous package:
Tested this and the first surprise was that (when installing it) disktype isn't installed on OpenBox version, the binary is in /usr/bin/ though, so that's a mistake I made and should be changed on OB version next release (on Jwm version it is installed)
Then: drag and drop .sfs file doesn't work for me, it does on Jwm version?
So I typed the path to the .sfs and all works fine.
I can't find a way yet to use preinst script to download and install gtkdialog first.
Yes that's a pity but if it works installing from inside the script it's ok also IMO.
I couldn't test this, tried uninstalling gtkdialog but the network connection is then broken because of frisbee got uninstalled so it wouldn't work downloading gtkdialog.

Edit: I will test later on my full Wheezy install, I use it seldom so almost forgot about it, DD is my 'standard' now :)

Fred

saintless

#3762 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Thanks for testing. At least we have some way to make packages compatible with standard gnome debian. I think it will be faster to mod DebianDog package for standard Debian when needed instead trying to make them universal for any debian system.
fredx181 wrote:Then: drag and drop .sfs file doesn't work for me, it does on Jwm version?
Works only if you use Rox :) This why it is added as dependency. drag and drop does not work from Xfe and Nautilus also and the window message for editing and moving the new sfs do not appear untill you close the nautilus or Xfe window. The script has to be moded special for Xfe or Nautilus and this is too much work for no reason. DebianDog both versions have Rox.

Edit: Just found what works with XFE instead drag and drop. Right click and choose Copy on sfs file and then Ctrl+V will paste the path in edit-sfs window.

Toni

jrb

#3763 Post by jrb »

dancytron wrote:
anikin wrote:Hi Toni, Fred and all,

I see the new ISO's are ready, will download them tonight and renew my setups at last. It's a shame, I'm lagging behind. I'm a bit late with the following too, or maybe not, depends on your evaluation. Here's one little thing, I really like in puppy - editsfs. Could you, guys have a look at it, if it's worth having in DD? Maybe, make it compress at the best possible ratio, add expansions like squashfs, xzm, or whatever?
I second this suggestion. Edit-SFS would be very useful. I've attached a copy (remove gz) for your reference.
I third that suggestion. I modified the edit_sfs-2.1.pet.gz and got it working in DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce.

I changed the reference to "rxvt" on line 225 to "xterm" and also change line 223 to

Code: Select all

echo -e "#!/bin/sh\n'$MKSQUASHFS' '$TREE' '$TREE_BASE/$SFSFILE' -comp xz -b 1024k -Xbcj x86" > "${TREE_BASE}/script"
to get better compression.

I also added it to the "SendTo" directory for right clicking in Rox.
Attachments
edit_sfs-2.1-dd.tar.gz
working copy of edit_sfs
(8.17 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

jrb

#3764 Post by jrb »

Hi,
This is working for me. samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1-debdog.tar.gz. You have to type "samba-start" or "samba-stop" in a terminal. See How to Use Samba-TNG Server in Puppy
for instructions.

saintless

#3765 Post by saintless »

Hi, Jrb.
jrb wrote:I third that suggestion. I modified the edit_sfs-2.1.pet.gz and got it working in DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce.

I changed the reference to "rxvt" on line 225 to "xterm" and also change line 223 to

Code: Select all

echo -e "#!/bin/sh\n'$MKSQUASHFS' '$TREE' '$TREE_BASE/$SFSFILE' -comp xz -b 1024k -Xbcj x86" > "${TREE_BASE}/script"
to get better compression.

I also added it to the "SendTo" directory for right clicking in Rox.
Deb package already available here for testing and it has option for the same best xz compression or gzip compression. I will add later right click option for Rox and Xfe (if it works with Xfe).

Can you test yassm-smbclient-mpscan_2.6-1_i386.deb and share if it works and what are these Winxp and Fred's share folders (the last one asks for password).
jrb wrote:This is working for me. samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1-debdog.tar.gz. You have to type "samba-start" or "samba-stop" in a terminal. See How to Use Samba-TNG Server in Puppy
for instructions.
I will make deb package for it but adding non-debian files in DebianDog has to be done in proper way. I guess we need to add samba and smbclient as conflicting packages. Does this package work as it is in DebianDog without persistent (without installing samba or other packages first)? Or do we need to install samba first. This question is also for yassm-smbclient-mpscan_2.6-1_i386.deb - it is set to conflict with debian official samba and smbclient packages.

The problem is we can easy break dpkg database or installing some other package from debian repository later can break the package added from puppy manually. If we don't fix this before providing package for official use with DebianDog it will become big problem for the user later.

Also lets not forget DebianDog is multiuser system and we need to mod puppy packages for work from user account. Keeping edit-sfs in /root makes it unusable for the user account and all files in /sbin or /usr/sbin are not in user account PATH. The testing edit-sfs deb is setup to work from user account. Also osmo and notecase and yassm-smbclient-mpscan debs.

Edit: Here is for testing samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1-debdog_0.5-rc1_i386.deb - added menu entry for samba-start and samba-stop and icon + gsu line inside menu files to make it work for user account. Like yassm-smbclient-pmscan this package also is set to conflict with official debian samba and smbclient packages.
I don't use samba and I can't test if yassm-smbclient-mpscan_2.6-1_i386.deb and samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1-debdog_0.5-rc1_i386.deb really work proper. If someone confirm they do work I will post links in the main thread and new packages post.

Toni

jrb

#3766 Post by jrb »

edit-sfs_2.0_i386-testing.deb works nicely in DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm but not in DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce

notecase-portable_1.9.8-1_i386 works nicely in both.

osmo-portable_0.2.8-1_i386.deb works nicely in both.

samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1-debdog_0.5-rc1_i386.deb works nicely in both, but /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf needs to have line 15 changed from "path = /mnt/home" since there is no /mnt/home in DebianDog-Wheezy-jwm_icewm (at least with no persistence). Could be changed to anything that both iso's have in any mode, "path = /" works for me.

yassm-smbclient-mpscan_2.6-1_i386.deb works nicely on both but if you forget to unmount the shares in /root/YASSM it hangs on shutdown needing a hard shutdown, although it doesn't seem to cause any filesystem errors. I should have noticed this before but I was trying it on a modified version of DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce (I upgraded it to Sid). Should have known to test on unmodified version before sending it to you. :oops: One other thing, only samba-login shows up on the menu in DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce. This is because /usr/share/applications/samba-search.desktop and /usr/share/applications/samba-select.desktop have "NoDisplay=true" on line 13. This should be changed to "NoDisplay=false".

Thanks for making these .debs Toni. Unfortunately, I am leaving home for the next 5 weeks on family business and will be away from internet for at least the next week. Will take usb with DebianDog and see if I can work on it when I get to more civilized area.

Cheers, J

Edit: I should mention that you can test samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1-debdog_0.5-rc1_i386.deb and yassm-smbclient-mpscan_2.6-1_i386.deb together on one computer. Just use samba-start first and then use samba-search. Yassm will find what you have shared on your computer and will mount it in /root/YASSM. Also that WinXP and Fred's computer stuff are just examples in /root/.config/yassm/samba-select.dat. You have to edit that file and put in your own share information.

saintless

#3767 Post by saintless »

Thank you, jrb :)
Take your time and do the testing when you can only.
I will fix what you have found so far and in the next days reupload the packages posting a message here.
I will test samba and yassm package as you suggested.

Toni

rcrsn51

#3768 Post by rcrsn51 »

jrb wrote:if you forget to unmount the shares in /root/YASSM it hangs on shutdown needing a hard shutdown
The YASSM package contains the shutdown script /etc/init.d/rc.yassm, but it would need some changes.
only samba-login shows up on the menu in DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce. This is because /usr/share/applications/samba-search.desktop and /usr/share/applications/samba-select.desktop have "NoDisplay=true" on line 13. This should be changed to "NoDisplay=false".
Some Puppy builders objected to having all three YASSM tools appear in the menus, considering the variety of other Samba client tools.

saintless

#3769 Post by saintless »

rcrsn51 wrote:
jrb wrote:if you forget to unmount the shares in /root/YASSM it hangs on shutdown needing a hard shutdown
The YASSM package contains the shutdown script /etc/init.d/rc.yassm, but it would need some changes.
Thank you, Rcrsn51!
I will try to mod this script to work in DD.
only samba-login shows up on the menu in DebianDog-Wheezy-openbox_xfce. This is because /usr/share/applications/samba-search.desktop and /usr/share/applications/samba-select.desktop have "NoDisplay=true" on line 13. This should be changed to "NoDisplay=false".
Some Puppy builders objected to having all three YASSM tools appear in the menus, considering the variety of other Samba client tools.
I will change them to appear all in the menu.

Toni

fredx181

#3770 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

Tested edit-sfs on my (not exactly standard) full Wheezy install and got a problem:
When there's a harmless gtk-warning, Xdialog will include it in it's output and the building fails.
I've had similar issue with debdog-install and made workaround for that some time ago.
Installing gtkdialog from inside the script went flawlessly, btw.

So,.. I couldn't resist to change some things :)
Changed line 71-98 instead of Xdialog with gtkdialog prompt for directory or ramdisk and directory selection.
(became line 71-117)
IMO the Xdialog dir select is not very intuitive so replacing with gtkdialog dir selection is improvement anyway.
Also changed the 'remember directory from previous run', to 'always have the choice'.
And more.
If you'd like to use it, tell me if there are any changes you'd like to revert to original.
At start original has the bold line about encryption, I don't understand, any use for that?

Fred
Attachments
edit-sfs-mod.tar.gz
Modified edit-sfs
(3.38 KiB) Downloaded 169 times