Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

#3661 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Small change in mount-wizard (it does not work with $gsu for puppy user in Jwm version at least- changed to gsu). Use the link in fixes post to download or make the change manually.

Edit: changed again to original variable $gsu. The problem was in moving the gsu line alone in the beginning of the script. The original idea gsu-gsu or gsu=sudo restored now:

Code: Select all

which rox && rox=rox || rox=defaultfilemanager
which gsu && gsu=gsu || gsu=sudo
[ "`whoami`" != "root" ] && exec $gsu ${0}
I made mostly for my self small frontend (fixdebinstall) for instdeb-gui (only single deb install). I will add it as menu entry "Install deb + dependencies" (in case you like it).
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... all.tar.gz

Toni

fredx181

#3662 Post by fredx181 »

Stemsee wrote:I am learning the code to pipe zerosizing straight into mksquashfs, also I can add to /tmp/quaddirs other directories to copy /dev/console and the zerosized files.
I think the solution Toni provided is good, to zerosize /usr/share/.. instead of usr/share/...
Another tip: Be careful with excluding whole directories, for example /var/lib/apt/lists, synaptic could give error because of that, better do: /var/lib/apt/lists/*

Toni, Hi, Some fixes I made already sometime ago but didn't test very well until now:

- save2flash, when using during a session, it couldn't be really trusted because sometimes files mysteriously re-appeared after deleting, fixed now by remounting /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit after saving.
- snapmergepuppy needed small fix
These are in attached 021-apps-porteus.squashfs.tar.gz

- ffmpeg2sfs, If you like, same as yours (with the downloading only and extracting packages) but added same as new apt2sfs: no clean savefile needed.
Btw, I renamed the previous apt2sfs to apt2sfs-old and apt2sfs-old to apt2sfs-veryold (has grey beard now :) )
Attached ffmpeg2sfs.tar.gz

Then also: your fixdebinstall, to be honest I didn't like the lack of support for selecting multiple files (I searched the net and it seems not possible with gtkdialog) so I made simple yad version that can select multiple .deb files for installing. Maybe you like.
Attached instdeb-fixdebinstall.tar.gz

Mount-wizard, see picture below at my sda3 partition, it shows also names of mounted loops (mounted with filemnt) which I didn't like, fixed by excluding 'loop'.
Attached mount-wizard_1.0.1_i386-sfs.deb.tar (dummy .tar)

I've now added most changes, need to test some more and probably make new remaster (and test) tomorrow.

Fred
Attachments
mount-wizard-showing-loopmounts.png
(50.92 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
021-apps-porteus.squashfs.tar.gz
(3.9 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
ffmpeg2sfs.tar.gz
(5.11 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
instdeb-fixdebinstall.tar.gz
(1.98 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
mount-wizard_1.0.1_i386-sfs.deb.tar
(19.12 KiB) Downloaded 161 times

saintless

#3663 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Fred :)

I can't make it in the next few days. Busy with other things unfortunately.
I think with so many changes we need to test more the next final remaster versions before uploading.

Toni

fredx181

#3664 Post by fredx181 »

saintless wrote:Thanks, Fred :)

I can't make it in the next few days. Busy with other things unfortunately.
I think with so many changes we need to test more the next final remaster versions before uploading.

Toni
Fine by me, And the more testing the better.

Fred

saintless

#3665 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Quick made pet for fixdebinstall (thanks for yad gui) + symlinks for root, puppy user and /etc/skel for right click install option scripts (deb and directory with debs in rox and xfe) for jwm version:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... 86-jwm.deb
in case you like to change it for OpenBox or better - to add thunar simlinks and make one for both versions, feel free to change right click install scripts and names as you like.

Toni

stemsee

#3666 Post by stemsee »

saintless wrote:My personal view is each distro needs its own script covering all small details specific for the distro. ..."

Toni
In my "New remaster script working" post, I appeal to each interested party/maintainer to proved a line by line exclude list of files and folders (better than cleaning as time is not wasted copying said data), which will get auto-selected by mksquashfs command and inserted thusly using -f instead of -e

mksquashfs /apupsys 01-filesystem.squashfs -comp xz -f DD-Exclude.txt
Which means each and every distro can haves its needs addressed very specifically.

However I realize no-one is going to provide their list, and I don't have time or inclination to assemble the lists for each and every distro by myself. So project ...."sos"!

saintless

#3667 Post by saintless »

stemsee wrote:However I realize no-one is going to provide their list, and I don't have time or inclination to assemble the lists for each and every distro by myself. So project ...."sos"!
Don't you think Stemsee's universal remaster script is Stemsee's responsibility? When you write the script does also DebianDog remaster (nobody asked you for such thing) it is your problem you do not know enough about this distro.
Much more than "provide me the excluding files information" is needed. All the excluding information you need for DebianDog is inside remasterdog, but even so you didn't tested if it really works after adding the zerosize finction. If you do not want or do not have time to test your script - nobody will do it for you, Stemsee. I gave you all the information I've found to help you. Fred also did the same but it is still not enough for you. Here are some more problems:
It is your decision to include puppy-boot method for DebianDog (even if i wrote it is only testing and not supported method). But if the user builds the iso for DebianDog with your script there will not be puppy-boot method in isolinux.conf and no way to use the iso, because the other boot methods do not work without firmware and modules.
You also do not know DebianDog-Jwm version has 2 squashfs modules and porteus-boot will not work proper after remaster because the second module is missing. Even if you include it from the iso it needs separate rebuilding with all new installed programs for porteus-boot, otherwise the menu will be broken. So you are adding only DebianDog-OpenBox version remaster.
My contribution on this subject stops here. I see no point to invest time working on something that already works perfect for me in DebianDog.

Toni

stemsee

#3668 Post by stemsee »

Yes, the saying "To bite off more than one can chew." is applicable to me. I do appreciate your and Fred's input ... I am not complaining nor asking for a list I am merely pointing out that the script has the potential to address all the present short falls that you point out! But to realize that potential is more than enough work.

As you say it is my script and my responsibility. Enough said. :oops:

On the other hand, when one sees how much talent and dedication you two have, who can blame us for trying to tap into that?! :wink:

EDIT: I think you are mistaken about the second module, if the module is loaded then sfs-direct will see all its programs as part of the running system in '/'! No need to answer - the script will prove itself - eventually!

fredx181

#3669 Post by fredx181 »

Stemsee, I recognize your enthusiasm for sharing (I almost always need fixing things afterwards) but indeed, I think you should test things more first. (hope I don't throw more salt in the wound saying this :) )
If you need more advice for remaster DD I'll be glad to help though.

Fred

stemsee

#3670 Post by stemsee »

I am not a perfectionist. But I agree that I should do a reasonable amount of testing and investigation (all DD boot methods not just the one I use - even if it is the best!) before sharing.

EDIT: I think you misunderstood "sos", it literally means ship-on-shore (that means the ship has foundered, stopped floating, not making progress anymore, but people assume it means a call for help!! That was not my meaning .... my meaning was 'grinding to a halt! or the possibility of that.
(local expressions are easily misunderstood even by native speakers!)
Last edited by stemsee on Fri 03 Oct 2014, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#3671 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Not very important and I think only documenting is enough as a fix...
But I know you like to work with live-boot-3x and cowsave script ;)
Just found situation when /live/image link is incorrect.
If you boot with persistence in kernel boot line but without persistence save file /live/image is broken link to /lib/live/mount/medium and the boot partition is /lib/live/mount/persistence/sdaX
If you remove peristence from boot line the boot partition is again /lib/live/mount/medium and the link is correct.
i will document this in live-boot-3x post after we upload new versions.

Toni

fredx181

#3672 Post by fredx181 »

toni wrote: Not very important and I think only documenting is enough as a fix...
But I know you like to work with live-boot-3x and cowsave script Wink
Perhaps in the future it will become my primary hobby but not for the time being. :)
Yes, keep it for documenting now, maybe later I'll find the courage to work on it.

Fred

saintless

#3673 Post by saintless »

OK, Fred. :)

About updated scripts for porteus-boot - I see /usr/local/bin/mountlink in OpenBox version is much different from the one in Jwm version. Is this a problems for the updated scripts? Is it better to use the same mountlink in Jwm version? I will use the part for creating symlinks at the end anyway and remove /live folder from 021-apps-porteus

Toni

atv

setup Networking

#3674 Post by atv »

Hi, guys - I have recently changed ISP's and cannot connect to Internet automatically, so tried setting static parameters :(

IP 192.168.1.232
Gateway 192.168.1.1

I get illegal address :cry:

any thoughts on this?

regards, Andres

dancytron

Re: setup Networking

#3675 Post by dancytron »

atv wrote:Hi, guys - I have recently changed ISP's and cannot connect to Internet automatically, so tried setting static parameters :(

IP 192.168.1.232
Gateway 192.168.1.1

I get illegal address :cry:

any thoughts on this?

regards, Andres
Those are internal ip addresses (because they begin with 192.168...)

They might work if you are trying to get on a router inside your house, but can't be your ip on the internet.

You should probably call your isp, look up your router on google, or maybe give use some details on your setup (router, who your isp is etc etc)

atv

details on ISP changes

#3676 Post by atv »

Hi, The setup the ISP gave me works fine with other puppies, It connects via wireless modem. They set it up with windows and they gave me a list of things to enter into the computer:

they are internal to the modem they installed for me. It works fine on other distros and when
I try with DebianDog it errors out saying they are illegal addresses. :cry:

regards, Andres

saintless

#3677 Post by saintless »

Hi, Andres.

Read here how to setup static IP (it is different in Debian - not only in DebianDog - and can't be done from frisbee or sns). It needs ip=... boot parameter. Change wired eth0 example with your wlan.
I can connect this way with static 192.168.100.2 and gateway 192.168.100.1
Never tested the same static IP setup with porteus-boot but possible it works also the same way.
If it still says illegal addresses give us as much details as possible (including ifconfig -a output and screenshot with the illegal message) to try searching for solution.
You can also try changing frisbee or sns with wicd to see if the problem is the same with debian network manager:

apt-get install wicd resolvconf
Toni

saintless

#3678 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Flashplayerchoice creates flashplugin-nonfree.squashfs 4,2Mb instead 8,9Mb. Same result with apt2sfs. Something seems wrong to me. Can you check if it works at all for you after installing flashplugin-nonfree?
The size difference is too big to be result of elinks dependencies and apt-get upgrade.

Edit: Something is really wrong or changed. Only the install files are downloaded. I get this from running the install binary manually:

root@debian:~# /usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree  --install
ERROR: wget failed to download http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/get-upstream-version.pl.gz.pgp
More information might be available at:
  http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer
root@debian:~# /media/+live+image+flashplugin-nonfree.squashfs-orig.sfs/usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
ERROR: wget failed to download http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/get-upstream-version.pl.gz.pgp
More information might be available at:
  http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer
root@debian:~# 
Edit2: OK, we really need this fix and should include it. I marked it while back as optional in fixes post but we need it (seems was not temporary problem when William noticed this first):

apt-get install ca-certificates
update-ca-certificates
Then flashplugin-nonfree problem is fixed.

Toni

saintless

#3679 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Small changes in order to make two packages compatible for wheezy and squeeze version. I prefer to use one package for both when it is possible.

mount-wizard - changed /usr/bin/gtkdialog to gtkdialog.

move-in-crypt - changes in mountcrypt function (it was not working in squeeze but now works for both versions).

Toni

fredx181

#3680 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
About updated scripts for porteus-boot - I see /usr/local/bin/mountlink in OpenBox version is much different from the one in Jwm version
Don't know how that come, a while back I made updated version, anyway it needs to be the one from OpenBox version.
apt-get install ca-certificates
update-ca-certificates
Yes, I did that already.
Fixing the cowsave issue was easier than I thought it would be, so see attached.
(changed only last few lines)

Installdeb: I really thought to simplistic about it because it covers only error or not error (1 or 0).
But what if there's another error than "dependencies missing".?

Here's new instdeb-cli and instdeb-gui that:
- gives warning if there are errors other than missing dependencies (but if there's at the same time a package with missing dependencies, user interaction is required to continue).
- gives warning if there are only errors other than missing dependencies.
- goes on without user interaction doing 'apt-get -f install' if the only error is missing dependencies.
Your fixdepinstall_1.0.1_i386.deb included with changed instdeb-cli and instdeb-gui in attached archive.
mount-wizard - changed /usr/bin/gtkdialog to gtkdialog.

move-in-crypt - changes in mountcrypt function (it was not working in squeeze but now works for both versions).
Thanks, I'll include.

Fred
Attachments
fixdepinstall-cowsave.tar.gz
(4.73 KiB) Downloaded 170 times