Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
fredx181

#3541 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,

Further testing of live-boot-3xxx lead me to some conclusions and made a script for making it compatible with scripts that depends on existing /live/cow. ('cowsave' see below attached)
Really a hassle btw to find out behaving of live-boot-3!

This is about when using the 'patched' initrd.img:

First: The script -for example- 'cow-save-part' uses these commands assuming there's only one 'notempty' directory existing:

Code: Select all

:for i in $(ls -d /lib/live/mount/persistence/s*); do
if [ -n "$(ls -A "$i" 2> /dev/null)" ]; then
notempty="$i"
fi
done
ln -s  "$notempty" /live/cow
This isn't reliable anymore because /lib/live/mount/persistence/ contains more than one 'notempty' directories (when using persistence) being:
- The mounted persistence partition as well as...
- The 'home' partition (which I would expect on /lib/live/mount/medium but it isn't)

Similar situation when using savefile, only that mounted persistence is named loop* and the 'home' partition is also mounted in /lib/live/mount/persistence/

The cowsave script works fine for me (it covers also no-persistence, btw) but should be more tested.
If it works for you also, I'd like to know your opinion, two options, I think:
1) run the 'cowsave' script (or whatever you like naming it) at boot, e.g. from /etc/rc.local
(don't worry, it will only run when using live-boot v3, else it does nothing)
2) add the contents of cowsave on top of any script that depends on /live/cow (e.g. remastercow).

As live-boot v3 is the default for latest Debian-live I think it's important to support it.
That doesn't mean that I like it btw :)

Also included new apt2sfs-new including live-boot-3 support, however, note: it depends on running 'cowsave' first:
Attached: apt2sfs-new_cowsave.tar.gz

Edit: Re-uploaded, cowsave changed only, now creating right symlink /live/image also in case the persistence savefile is in another partition as the 'home' partition.

Edit2: Sorry, again changed cowsave, didn't trust it, only changed the part in case partition containing savefile is another than the 'home' partition.

Fred
Attachments
apt2sfs-new_cowsave.tar.gz
Re-uploaded apt2sfs-new_cowsave.tar.gz, only cowsave changed
(6.52 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 10:31, edited 4 times in total.

saintless

#3542 Post by saintless »

Thanks for making improvements for official debian wheezy boot, Fred!
I also do not like live-boot-3x much but have it available is important.
I don't mind adding line in /etc/rc.local since it will not create problems for other boot methods.
I will try to test it proper in the next days. I like to check some more things with rtai kernel and I will get back to live-boot-3x and apt2sfs testing.

Toni

fredx181

#3543 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Thanks for making improvements for official debian wheezy boot, Fred!
Well, in fact I wouldn't call this improvements for official debian wheezy boot itself (some is wrong with it but that's another story), this could be improvement for us "in one's own way" of doing to make things compatible between 3 boot methods, not the easiest road to walk!

That's a very special thing you are working on with the linuxcnc, btw :shock:

Take your time.

Fred

fredx181

#3544 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
I found that the cowsave script doesn't work well in all circumstances for creating right symlink /live/image (live/cow seems to be always ok):
When the persistence savefile is in another partition as where booted from, there are two mounted partition directories in /lib/live/mount/persistence, the one with the savefile inside and the 'home' partition.
First I thought it would be impossible to fix, but by using 'losetup' I could make it work.
New uploaded apt2sfs-new_cowsave.tar.gz, see my previous post on this page.

Fred

saintless

#3545 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred!
I will test with the new version.

Toni

saintless

#3546 Post by saintless »

Hi, Anikin.
The porteus mount script seems more difficult for me to adapt. I can't make it start without error. It searches for some missing commands and folders.

I have some progress with mount-wizard. It starts now but the buttons for mouting/unmounting do not work yet. I will try to make it fully capable but now busy with some other things.
Attached mount-wizard (extract the zip archive) in case you like to test it.
Attachments
mount-wizard.zip
(881 Bytes) Downloaded 234 times

fredx181

#3547 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:I will test with the new version.
Sorry, Toni, again changed cowsave, see post on top of this page.
Only changed the checking in case 'home' partition is another as partition containing savefile.
I wonder if I'll ever learn not to share things to hastily :)

Fred

anikin

#3548 Post by anikin »

You rock, Toni

Doesn't it look great in DD?
Fingers crossed, breathless in anticipation of the fully working version.
For some reason, it lists the drives in reversed order, maybe we should ask iguleder.

edit: Although, the buttons don't work yet, it "sees" all the available partitions, and their current state - whether they are mounted, or not. Good.
Attachments
1m-w.png
(22.61 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
m-w.jpeg
(19.64 KiB) Downloaded 677 times
Last edited by anikin on Wed 17 Sep 2014, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

Gobbi

#3549 Post by Gobbi »

Today I downloaded Porteus-Wheezy2-deb-kern-3.2.0-4-486.iso and gave it a try in Qemu . I liked it , nice work , so I made a try to run it as Live CD on an old Acer Travelmate with 256 MB of RAM . It has an Intel Celeron 800 MHz and a videocard : Trident Video Accelerator CyberBlade Ai1 - with 8MB . On this laptop I ran successfully Racy5.3 , Carolite 1.2 and Puppy 431 . They were a bit slow but the machine is quite old ...

Unfortunately Porteus-Wheezy2 did not started X so I have to ask :

Does anybody know a boot option or any trick to make it work :?:

fredx181

#3550 Post by fredx181 »

Gobbi wrote:Today I downloaded Porteus-Wheezy2-deb-kern-3.2.0-4-486.iso and gave it a try in Qemu . I liked it , nice work , so I made a try to run it as Live CD on an old Acer Travelmate with 256 MB of RAM . It has an Intel Celeron 800 MHz and a videocard : Trident Video Accelerator CyberBlade Ai1 - with 8MB . On this laptop I ran successfully Racy5.3 , Carolite 1.2 and Puppy 431 . They were a bit slow but the machine is quite old ...

Unfortunately Porteus-Wheezy2 did not started X so I have to ask :

Does anybody know a boot option or any trick to make it work :?:
Can you give more info what you see exactly?, totally black screen, or do you see the login prompt.

Just a shot in the dark, this looks like your problem:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=68094

Also I read adding: vga=791 to the kernel boot line might work (or maybe force vesa, I think it's "xforcevesa", not sure).

Also, maybe you can try latest version of DebianDog or Porteus-Wheezy.

Fred

saintless

#3551 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Sorry, Toni, again changed cowsave, see post on top of this page.
:) Thanks, Fred!
I will need some time anyway to test it proper and setup partition persistence.
Right now I play with Ubuntu the same way as with Debian to make it smaller and it was a nightmare. I will never touch ubuntu agiain after we fix rtai version for Vtpup.

Toni

Gobbi

#3552 Post by Gobbi »

fredx181 wrote:
Can you give more info what you see exactly?, totally black screen, or do you see the login prompt.
Thank you for answering @fredx181

I saw the login prompt - I logged in then typed startx but instead of opening Xserver gave a list of errors in usr/bin/startx line : it repeated a few times each time with a different line - 173 , 188 , 190 , 188 , 190 , 214 and 222 . The lines 188 and 190 appeared twice. This happened on the Always Fresh option of the Splash Menu .

Later I tried v2 Live in RAM persistent and it stopped quite soon , with the last line : ata.00 status{ DRDY ERR}

In both v2 Live ( no save ) and v3 Live ( no save ) I was glad to see Puppy going straight to desktop and moreover - Frisbee was able to connect to my network :D . On Intel machines I met problems with my usb wireless adapter Realtek 8187 and 32bit puppies lately...
Light Debian Dog uses very little resources indeed :D

Gobbi

#3553 Post by Gobbi »

I made a remaster - a remaster.squashfs . It has all the changes inside but now I would like to have an ISO file based on this remaster ...
Light Debian Dog does not do it automatically ( or I just missed it :?: ) and doing an ISO file replacing the initial 01-filesystem.squashfs from the live folder resulted in a non bootable ISO file . Perhaps a memtest does not agree with my method ...

Anybody could give me a tip to do it the right way ?
Thank's in advance !

saintless

#3554 Post by saintless »

Hi, Gobbi.

Make sure you made remaster with remasterdog (not with remastercow). I'm not sure how the menu entries are named in Porteus-Wheezy (if you still use the same) but remastercow should be somethinng like Create module from changes.Type in terminal remasterdog. This is the one for full system remaster. Remastercow creates module only from the system changes after first boot. It is like puppy sfs to be added after boot for example.

Use isomaster to open the iso version you use. Then remove /live/01-filesystem.squashfs and add there your remaster.squashfs (rename it first to 01-filesystem.squashfs - the name is important for toram option).
Then use File -> Save as to save the new iso.
This is the way I build every next DebianDog iso version.

Toni

Gobbi

#3555 Post by Gobbi »

Thank's @saintless :!:

That was my initial idea too . But I was wrong just adding those files and expecting the ISO file would be bootable...
Opening the old ISO directly with Isomaster made the new saved one bootable . :D
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(57.35 KiB) Downloaded 467 times

fredx181

#3556 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:........it was a nightmare. I will never touch ubuntu agiain.......
Where have I heard that before...? :)

@Gobbi, looks like you run latest DebianDog now, right?
Nice screenshot! I see it's on qemu, could you run also the cd now on your Acer Travelmate?

Fred

Gobbi

#3557 Post by Gobbi »

fredx181 wrote:could you run also the cd now on your Acer Travelmate?

Fred
Yes it works , but before doing the remaster I did not configure Frisbee and now it is not working on the remastered ISO . I'll take a look into the downloaded version to see if I can find any differencies ...

Gobbi

#3558 Post by Gobbi »

The downloaded version has nothing more in the frisbee folders before connecting .
The funny thing is that the remasterd version + the same wireless usb adapter ( in fact I have 2 rtl8187 and tried them both ) is working great connecting to the internet with no fuss using my desktop which has an AMD CPU .
I'm posting from it now .
Otherwise Light Debian Dog works nicely on Acer Travelmate .

fredx181

#3559 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Just for info in case you're interested:
Using the same method as I described here for creating local repo:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 007#776007 (with added updates now)
I managed to create repo on my google drive address, so should be possible with smokey01.com also.
What I did was just uploading 'Packages.gz' (created on my local folder) to:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ ... /Packages/
And uploaded the same .deb packages from my local folder to same gdrive folder also.
I'll delete this folder later, just for testing now.
Of course these are babysteps but I'm excited that it works well this way :)

Just for fun to test (I'm really not intending to make official repo, probably just for my own private use):

apt-get update
apt-get install apt-transport-https # this is needed for https support, I guess not for http
echo "deb https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/Packages/ ./" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
Now, only new, (not installed) package is 'conky-manager' from Mepis (not in Debian repo), so try;

apt-cache search conky-manager # or:
apt-get install conky-manager # needs lots of dependencies
This way I could easily make module 'conky-manager.squashfs' with apt2sfs.

Edit: It works but really isn't perfect way, just found that after successful first 'apt-get update', when running it again it gives warning and error (not really a problem though as it will use previous indexes).
Edit2: Uploading 'Packages' file (extracted Packages.gz )seems to solve this.
Edit3: Still having problems using google-drive but: Using dropbox works perfect, without warnings or errors:
See here for the new method I used for creating local repo first (Update2):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 007#776007
To try my small dropbox test-repo:

apt-get update
apt-get install apt-transport-https
echo "deb https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36381953/test-repo/ ./" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
------------------------

Good luck with your RTAI-linuxcnc project!

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 22 Sep 2014, 10:01, edited 5 times in total.

saintless

#3560 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred, thank you!
I will test it soon as I get time for it. Hopefuly tomorrow or the day after.
We should add it to the HowTo thread. I think there is post from you about this already. Maybe adding link to your post here will help.
fredx181 wrote:Good luck with your RTAI-linuxcnc project!
I'm almost ready with the base iso. Vtpup or someone else will take the project further (if there is interest from Ubuntu 8.4 Hardy version).
It is now very similar to the first DebianDog stage. Could become easy Ubuntu version of DebianDog if someone start to update it.
But my statement is still valid - I will never touch Ubuntu again. Debian is so much more flexible to shape and modify. I'm glad we started with Debian :)

Toni