Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 Sep 2014, 02:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 228 of 241 [3611 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, ..., 239, 240, 241 Next
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 09:21    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
Quote:
All information added. If you find something for changing just write what is needed.
The kernel 3.13.6 added in separate kernel post.

Yes, can you also add it runs with systemd enabled or something like that?

Quote:
We have some issue with 2Gb limit save file GUI for porteus boot. Read the question from Tm_mT. I guess it is because vfat limit for 2Gb files but I think on vfat you can't create more than 2Gb save file anyway. Is there a reason we need this 2Gb limit in mk-save.gtkdlg?
He also gets some messages with porteus boot for improper shutdown and save file warning that I can't reproduce yet.

The file size limit on FAT is 4GB. I didn't realize that mk-save has 2GB limit creating savefile.
Here's a way to change the max value in the script from command line:
Code:
SIZE='--field="Savefile Size   MB:NUM" "200!100..2048!5"'
NEWSIZE='--field="Savefile Size   MB:NUM" "200!100..4090!5"'
sed -i "s,$SIZE,$NEWSIZE,g" /opt/bin/mk-save.gtkdlg

New value will then be a little less then 4GB, to be safe when using on FAT.
You're right, this should be on the "fixes" list.

I can't test with kernel 3.14 now because it's PAE, but otherwise the only message I've seen was "recovering journal" when using encrypted save.

Quote:
Can you share some tips how was made this google drive setup?

Sure, I'll explain later today with some screenshots, can I assume you have account and logged in already in google drive, so need explanation after that only?

I'll check the initrd patch within the next days.
Next time I will write first about what fix I think is needed.
In this case I thought I do the work myself because of mistake I made before, and I know it's no fun for you compressing all the initrd.xz files on your low-ram computer.
For info, what I changed in linuxrc is very simple:
Before fix: (On section: # Find modules)
Code:
# Find modules:
find $PTH $PTH/base $PTH/modules -name "*.squashfs" 2>/dev/null | egrep -v "$NOLOAD" | sort -u >/tmp/modules
find $PTH/optional -name "*.squashfs" 2>/dev/null | egrep "$LOAD" | sort >>/tmp/modules

New:
Code:
ls $PTH/*.squashfs 2>/dev/null | egrep -v "$NOLOAD" | sort -u >/tmp/modules
find $PTH/base $PTH/modules -name "*.squashfs" 2>/dev/null | egrep -v "$NOLOAD" | sort -u >>/tmp/modules
find $PTH/optional -name "*.squashfs" 2>/dev/null | egrep "$LOAD" | sort >>/tmp/modules

The first line searches only in /live, not in sub-directories.
The second in /live/base and /live/modules.
The third in /live/optional in case load= is specified.
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 09:50    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred Smile
fredx181 wrote:
Yes, can you also add it runs with systemd enabled or something like that?

Done.

Quote:
Here's a way to change the max value in the script from command line:
Code:
SIZE='--field="Savefile Size   MB:NUM" "200!100..2048!5"'
NEWSIZE='--field="Savefile Size   MB:NUM" "200!100..4090!5"'
sed -i "s,$SIZE,$NEWSIZE,g" /opt/bin/mk-save.gtkdlg

I gave advice to use live-boot-2 or 3 and create the encrypted file from there. It is easier. What about if someone deside to make 8Gb or 100Mb save file? Smile
If you fix mk-save.gtkdlg later I will add it to the fixes post for download.

Quote:
I can't test with kernel 3.14 now because it's PAE, but otherwise the only message I've seen was "recovering journal" when using encrypted save.

There is similar message but only with encrypted save file for me about /dev/mapper/crypt not clearly unmounted and forced check. I think the shutdown script does not unmount /dev/mapper/crypt. I haven't tested OpenBox yet. Don't think it is a problem anyway.

Quote:
Sure, I'll explain later today with some screenshots, can I assume you have account and logged in already in google drive, so need explanation after that only?

Thank you, yes, I will use my wife's account for testing.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 11:28    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
Here's how to make a folder in google drive behave as a webhost:
In this example from an empty google drive (I just created a new account and have 15GB again!)
Click on the red "Create" button and create a folder:

Ok, I created 'Debdog', right-click on the new folder and choose Share > Share:

New window appears, now change "Private only you can access" to "Public on the web" and click Save.
Then click Done on the previous window:

Then right-click on the new folder and choose "Details and activity" (there's also the "i" button on top right button section)
It probably opens in "Activity" so click on Detalis:

Almost at the bottom of Details under 'HOSTING' you see an https address with 'host' in it:

Now that's the host address of the new shared folder and you can make new folder or upload file inside and add /name-of-subfolder or /filename after the host address.

Btw, [img][/img] works also as you can see.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 11:43    Post subject:  

Thank you, Fred, great instruction to follow!
15 Gb... I like it already Smile

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 12:55    Post subject:  

Toni wrote:
What about if someone deside to make 8Gb or 100Mb save file? Smile

Yes, you never know what people are capable of, nearly 20Gb limit will be sufficient I think Smile
Attached new make-save.gtkdlg and makepfile.sh, goes from 100-20000Mb.

Edit: But I don't know what happens exactly when someone tries to create for example 5Gb savefile on a FAT partition.
What do you think in general, do we need more error checking, I mean in other scripts also e.g. check for enough space or not?

Good luck with your new google drive, 15Gb is indeed a lot.
I was thinking recently to add maybe some sort of sfs-download program, would be nice to offer prefab sfs modules this way (like most puppy's have also).

Quote:
There is similar message but only with encrypted save file for me about /dev/mapper/crypt not clearly unmounted and forced check. I think the shutdown script does not unmount /dev/mapper/crypt. I haven't tested OpenBox yet. Don't think it is a problem anyway.

I also don't think it's a problem, fsck works very well.
I often see on shutdown message about /dev/loop* not unmounted, it doesn't look nice, maybe create some script that unmounts all modules on shutdown but that won't be easy I think.

Fred
make-save-new.tar.gz
Description  Make-save fixed 2Gb limit
gz

Download 
Filename  make-save-new.tar.gz 
Filesize  4.21 KB 
Downloaded  35 Time(s) 
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 14:35    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Attached new make-save.gtkdlg and makepfile.sh, goes from 100-20000Mb.

Thanks, Fred, I will add it to the fixes later tonight or tomorrow.

Quote:
What do you think in general, do we need more error checking, I mean in other scripts also e.g. check for enough space or not?

No. I will test it on vfat when I get time for this but I prefer the scripts less complicated. And as you know we do not get much testing reports to be sure all works well after the changes.

Quote:
I was thinking recently to add maybe some sort of sfs-download program, would be nice to offer prefab sfs modules this way (like most puppy's have also).

We can use sfs-get from Sfs. It is included in his version of DebianDog-OpenBox. I'm not sure GUI is easier than download sfs and load with right click but sfs-get is already adapted to work with DebianDog. It needs only repository change.
All kind make-it-easier-for-me utilities result in less reading and Debian needs reading and command line typing from time to time.

Quote:
maybe create some script that unmounts all modules on shutdown but that won't be easy I think.

No, in my opinion. Not easy and we can not predict the result without much testing first.

I'm trying to be DebianDog user for a while, Fred. Let's enjoy our work and fix bugs only when needed.

Toni

saintless

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug 2014, 06:47    Post subject:  

Hi, Stemsee and all interested from experimental boot methods.

Some of your kernels uploaded here for puppy-initrd-boot (in case you need quick link to share them):
https://9eb8f45ca0acc9dd68fbe8a604cd7299aa432000.googledrive.com/host/0B8P7qC27sushWHg2VFB6QTRJLW8/Experimental-boot/
I can't test 64bit but I guess they will work.

Also for Puppy-Rus-A-boot but I need time for translating the boot script and adding some instruction how to use the kernels. I will get back on this when I'm ready.

Toni
atv

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug 2014, 12:46    Post subject: Great job! you guys  

Toni, Fred, Sergey, William, Sunburnt, Nooby(in absence) and all others

I want you guys to know that the work you have done and are doing is being enjoyed by: Myself and about (80 and growing) others, that are not fortunate enough to be computer literates and do have access to low cost(older)laptops etc.
My two cents is to install and maintain their systems free of charge. This effort of yours makes my task a great deal easier. So thank you all for the job well done. Keep up the good work and enjoy your well deserved holidays. Very Happy

regards, Andres
stemsee

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug 2014, 12:57    Post subject:  

@saintless, Fredx181

That's a very neat way to use google drive. I will have to do that too! Smile

.. sometime... Exclamation
saintless

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug 2014, 13:14    Post subject: Re: Great job! you guys  

Hi, Andres, glad to read DebianDog is useful for you and much more people Smile
atv wrote:
and do have access to low cost(older)laptops etc.

In case there are machines with less than 1Ghz processor and 512Mb Ram using gzip compression for the main 01-filesystem.squashfs module will speed up the system. More information here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=793872#793872

Stemsee, yes, Fred found great way to use google drive.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug 2014, 13:32    Post subject: Re: Great job! you guys  

atv wrote:
Toni, Fred, Sergey, William, Sunburnt, Nooby(in absence) and all others

I want you guys to know that the work you have done and are doing is being enjoyed by: Myself and about (80 and growing) others, that are not fortunate enough to be computer literates and do have access to low cost(older)laptops etc.
My two cents is to install and maintain their systems free of charge. This effort of yours makes my task a great deal easier. So thank you all for the job well done. Keep up the good work and enjoy your well deserved holidays. Very Happy

regards, Andres

Thanks very much Andres Smile

stemsee wrote:
That's a very neat way to use google drive. I will have to do that too! Smile
.. sometime...

Your decision, but... do it now! Smile it's easy once you know how.
For information: It can be done with already existing folder also, just change the permissions to public.

Fred
stemsee

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug 2014, 13:50    Post subject:  

My google drive is like a teenagers bedroom at the moment!! Razz
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug 2014, 15:03    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
My google drive is like a teenagers bedroom at the moment!! Razz

Yes, make me feel 40 years younger!
Seriously now, you can make new folder to use as host to share public only.

Fred
step

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug 2014, 07:53    Post subject:
Subject description: google drive vs google host

Here follow

• Alternative google hosting folder istructions...
  • Simplified for EmSee and me - we share the teenager's bedroom approach to google drive Smile

By way of a pratical example: sharing a fictitional file, EmSee's next 2GB+ EmSee3.iso release:

• Make a new folder in your google drive, right click its item line, select Shared/everyone can view and write down its sharing link. It will look something like this: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8P7qC27sushWHg2VFB6QTRJLW8&usp=sharing
  • Now rewrite the sharing address as a direct link by replacing the blue part above with https://googledrive.com/host/ and dropping the red part: https://googledrive.com/host/0B8P7qC27sushWHg2VFB6QTRJLW8
  • Now append the filename and you are done: https://googledrive.com/host/0B8P7qC27sushWHg2VFB6QTRJLW8/EmSee3.iso

Remarks

• You can see that the folder ID stays the same, and publishing a direct link is just a matter or re-writing the url. In fact, you could publish both urls.
  • When accessing a folder/file via drive.google.com one gets the familiar google drive interface, with thumbnails, previews, and several prompts before one can download a file. (Note that the drive.google.com link to a shared file can't be derived as I showed above for a folder.)
  • When accessing the file via googledrive.com one gets a file list and direct links, that is, no prompt to download the file!
  • So with the googledrive.com direct link one can download the file from a script using wget, which can't be done when drive.google.com is used for the link and one has to use a web browser to download. (For instance, I can't download a file larger than 2GB from drive.google.com because my firefox drops out at the 2GB fence. But I could download the same file from googledrive.com with wget, because wget doesn't drop out after 2GB.)
  • As Fred pointed out, with googledrive.com one can also append the relative path to a file in a sub-folder.

The folder ID in my examples corresponds to Toni's DebianDog backup folder.

Last edited by step on Thu 14 Aug 2014, 16:54; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug 2014, 13:39    Post subject:  

Thank you, Step!
These google drive tips should go in special thread so more people can use them.

Toni

Page 228 of 241 [3611 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, ..., 239, 240, 241 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: