Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 17:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 227 of 255 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, ..., 253, 254, 255 Next
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2014, 10:53    Post_subject:  

Hi Toni and All,

Edit: A more solid solution is here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=798987#798987

Here's a simple script that automates the switch to systemd.
See it as a preview of what probably will be the future standard (although that may take a long time).
According to the Debian Wiki:
Quote:
To test systemd before switching to it by default, you can add the following boot parameter to the kernel:
init=/bin/systemd

The above works with live-boot but not with porteus-boot.
Running the attached script, it works with live-boot and porteus-boot and kernel-line: init=/bin/systemd is not needed.
It modifies /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service for autologin as root (instead of /etc/inittab)
Important line in the script (a bit of a hack):
Code:
ln -snf ../lib/systemd/systemd init

/sbin/init needs to be a relative symlink otherwise it won't work with porteus-boot.

Thanks to sfs I became inspired to try systemd and I must say it's not bad.
Everything works well for me after booting with systemd except "save on exit from console" (so that should be done from X).

To switch back again to the old init scripts do in terminal:

Code:
apt-get install sysvinit && apt-get purge systemd

Fred
systemdswitch.tar.gz
Description  Script to switch easy to systemd (only for DebianDog)
gz

Download 
Filename  systemdswitch.tar.gz 
Filesize  601 Bytes 
Downloaded  44 Time(s) 

Edited_time_total
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 04 Aug 2014, 11:54    Post_subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Here's a simple script that automates the switch to systemd.

Thanks, Fred, I will test it in the next days.
Systemd boot was something very important (in my opinion) missing in porteus-boot and I'm glad you tested the Sfs's version of DebianDog. I have much more to explore there. Many new futures added like read-only save and read-only encrypted save boot, create custom small kernel for the computer that the system runs at the moment (it is only few Mb big) and much more that needs special attention...

Toni

anikin

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014, 08:11    Post_subject:  

Hi Toni, Fred and everyone,

You guys, are supposed to be vacationing, right?
Decompressing, drinking alcohol, smoking tobacco and indulging yourselves in every imaginable way?

Thank you, Fred for the script, I want to test it. When systemd hits us (and it will sooner, or later), we won't be left unprepared. I read a little bit about how SFS and PuppyRus have implemented it. They didn't discuss it much, they just grabbed the bull by the balls.

I recently removed sudo from DD, see how the operation ends: Processing triggers for systemd ...
Code:
root@debian:~# apt-get remove --purge sudo
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  sudo*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 1885 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
(Reading database ... 28471 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing sudo ...
Purging configuration files for sudo ...
dpkg: warning: while removing sudo, directory '/etc/sudoers.d' not empty so not removed
Processing triggers for systemd ...
root@debian:~#
stemsee

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014, 11:59    Post_subject:  

Sometimes just watching a youtube video of a holiday is enough! And has the added advantage of not having to move from in front of the computer, and no hangovers or exotic disease!! Laughing
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 05 Aug 2014, 15:02    Post_subject:  

anikin wrote:
You guys, are supposed to be vacationing, right?
Decompressing, drinking alcohol, smoking tobacco and indulging yourselves in every imaginable way?

Yeah, thanks for the advice, I'll try to put some more effort in that. Very Happy

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2014, 03:41    Post_subject:  

Hi, All.
anikin wrote:
I recently removed sudo from DD, see how the operation ends: Processing triggers for systemd ...

This is because even without systemd installed all related debian packages configure needed files for working with systemd (if it is used on boot).

Now old versions Skype issue is solved:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=792895#792895
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=792971#792971
I doubt Skype developers will try to fix this loophole risking to break autologin for Skype 4.3 or risking to make bigger loophole. Skype 4.3 does not go very good anyway reading the problems many users have to make it work. We will wait and see.
Now I also continue decompressing and drinking alcohol but I will skip smoking tobacco Smile

Toni

stemsee

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2014, 06:13    Post_subject:  

I just installed skype-4.3.037 from user OscarTalks, on my EmSeeV2.2 and needed only pulseaudio.pet (from OscarTlks) and libpng14.so.14 (from me). I will try it on DD later.
libpng14.so.14.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  libpng14.so.14.pet 
Filesize  75.1 KB 
Downloaded  36 Time(s) 
saintless

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2014, 07:44    Post_subject:  

Stemsee, in DebianDog just install the official debian package 4.3.0.37 from Skype website.
Then run
Code:
apt-get -f install
apt-get install pulseaudio

Before starting Skype run
Code:
pulseaudio --start

and then Skype. Check sound and mic by testing call from options -> sound devices.
This is the main advantage to use debian instead puppy. No need to try which pet will work. The old skype versions are for older computers and for anyone who prefers to use alsa instead pulseaudio. Skype 4.3.0.37 does not start on old hardware anyway.

stemsee

PostPosted: Wed 06 Aug 2014, 08:38    Post_subject:  

Oh I see!
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2014, 12:14    Post_subject:  

Hi Toni,

Some good news and some bad.
Start with the bad (which will turn out good):
One of the cheatcodes for porteus-boot doesn't work. It's the "load=..." parameter.
From the Porteus cheatcodes documentation:
http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/26-general-info-tutorials/117-cheatcodes-what-they-are-and-how-to-use-them.html
Quote:

load=module
load=module[1];module[n]

... Load optional modules from /optional/ directory on the booting
media. Additional modules can be listed, separated
by semicolons, without spaces.
Exampe: 'load=gimp;inkscape' would search for and load any
modules in the /porteus/optional folder that contain the strings
'gimp' or 'inkscape'.

Now, it's probably not very important but I couldn't resist to fix it.
So I edited the initrd*.xz (but only linuxrc inside) from all **kernel**.zip from the site.
Here the new ones are:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/Kernels-Debiandog/
(hope it works with Dillo, didn't test that.)
Which brings me to the good news: I've found a much better way to share with my G drive.
Direct download is now possible without annoying message about virus scanning.
Also organized a bit so you can browse to different folders.
Also added new kernel 3.13.6-porteus (adapted for DebianDog), btw: wget works also with this way.
Code:
wget https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/Kernels-Debiandog/025-kernel-3.13.6-porteus.zip

And last but not least:
New Porteus-Wheezy openbox with xfce, kernel is 3.13.6-porteus.
- Only boot-method is porteus-boot.
- Uses systemd instead of initscripts.
- Has the old setup just like old Porteus-Wheezy (extension .xzm) close to original Porteus.
- For the rest it has everything to do with DebianDog Wink (except for some names changed)

https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/Porteus-Wheezy/

Hopefully this motivates you to remove the old Porteus-Wheezy from your site to gain some space for other stuff to upload.
The older versions are also in folder from above url, btw.
I'm not going to remove anything so even if I'm dead it's still there Smile

About systemd: I've had the best results with Debian kernel 3.2.0-4-486, works out of the box.
With other kernels (porteus and the one from sfs , 3.14 I believe) there were problems and had to create new .service files for frisbee, rc.local and snapexit (is in /etc/rc.local.shutdown), which was a good learning experience!

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2014, 13:37    Post_subject:  

Hi, Fred, I do not like your way of vacationing Wink

I will need some time to check, ulpad and remove files form the site, but...
fredx181 wrote:
Some good news and some bad.
Start with the bad (which will turn out good):
One of the cheatcodes for porteus-boot doesn't work. It's the "load=..." parameter.
From the Porteus cheatcodes documentation:
http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/26-general-info-tutorials/117-cheatcodes-what-they-are-and-how-to-use-them.html
Quote:

load=module
load=module[1];module[n]

... Load optional modules from /optional/ directory on the booting
media. Additional modules can be listed, separated
by semicolons, without spaces.
Exampe: 'load=gimp;inkscape' would search for and load any
modules in the /porteus/optional folder that contain the strings
'gimp' or 'inkscape'.

Now, it's probably not very important but I couldn't resist to fix it.
So I edited the initrd*.xz (but only linuxrc inside) from all **kernel**.zip from the site.
Here the new ones are:
https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5bUsxVnhCTkhoZDA/Kernels-Debiandog/

I see this one different. At the moment porteus-boot searches inside /live and its subfolders (no matter what is the name) for any squashfs file and it is loaded on boot with this boot code:
Code:
title DebianDog-Porteus
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/
initrd (hd0,0)/live/initrd1.xz

Or any squashfs in /live/optional, /live/rootcopy, /live/name-me-as-you-want will be loaded on boot. This means load= parameter is working without the need to add it (like your fix with systemd does not need init= parameter).
I'm not sure what is your fix in linuxrc yet, but it is not tested proper for official change and if it will stop searching and auto-loading squashfs from /live and its subfolders I'm not sure I like to loose this porteus-boot behaviour.

Or maybe you mean if load= parameter is added only the listed after load= modules will be loaded and other modules in /root/optional will not be loaded?

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2014, 14:28    Post_subject:  

Toni wrote:
I see this one different. At the moment porteus-boot searches inside /live and its subfolders (no matter what is the name) for any squashfs file and it is loaded on boot with this boot code:
Code:
title DebianDog-Porteus
root (hd0,0)

Or any squashfs in /live/optional, /live/rootcopy, /live/name-me-as-you-want will be loaded on boot. This means load= parameter is working without the need to add it (like your fix with systemd does not need init= parameter).
I'm not sure what is your fix in linuxrc yet, but it is not tested proper for official change and if it will stop searching and auto-loading squashfs from /live and its subfolders I'm not sure I like to loose this porteus-boot behaviour.

Sorry, I should have given more information.
The load= parameter is meant to be for optional loading.
How it is now is indeed that every .squashfs found in /live and all it's subfolders will be loaded.
This way the load= parameter just makes no sense/difference.
The advantage of the load= parameter is that you can have several modules placed in /optional but they will only be loaded if you specify "load=name;othername".

What is not changed after my edit:
- Every found squashfs from /live /live/base and /live/modules will still be loaded.
/rootcopy is another story, it's meant for putting folders/files in it (which will override everything including savefile)

What is changed after my edit:
- squashfs modules from /live/optional will be loaded only when specified by load=name (or part of name).

Trust me, it was like this before changing the setup to .squashfs modules and /live folder. It's supposed to be like this.I tested. And wouldn't have done all this if I wasn't sure.
I just like it to be the same as original Porteus, otherwise we should not pretend the cheatcodes work the same.

No, today no vacation Smile
Btw, I enjoy that the main DebianDog thread is busier now.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2014, 15:01    Post_subject:  

OK, Fred, I will replace the kernel modules tomorrow.

I still have no plans to rebuild iso in the next months so I suggest initrd1.xz to be available for download from link in fixes post. If you like to rebuild OpenBox version sooner I will replace it.

Is there anything special to write about 025-kernel-3.13.6-porteus.zip? I can't test it on my hardware.

And something to write about Porteus-Wheezy-3.13.6-openbox.iso?
I will add it in the first post in this thread after upload + links for your google drive for older versions and link in DebianDog thread. Is this OK?

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2014, 16:08    Post_subject:  

Toni wrote:
OK, Fred, I will replace the kernel modules tomorrow.

No, hurry.
I know you seldom use porteus-boot so I can't expect you'd be enthusiastic about using the option load=..
To make more clear what I mean also for others here's some examples.
Say I went crazy by making lots of modules by apt2sfs and finding puppy sfs's (changed extension to .squashfs), I have 10 of them but I don't want them all loaded at boot.
So I placed all 10 in the /live/optional directory.

Example 1: none of the 10 modules will be loaded because load= parameter is not in kernel line:
Code:
title DebianDog-Porteus
root (hd0,0)

Example 2: now added load= on the kernel line but load only ffmpeg (ffmpeg.squashfs is one of the 10 modules)
Code:
title DebianDog-Porteus
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ load=ffmpeg

Example3: now loading skype.squashfs and ffmpeg.squashfs (names separated by a semicolon):
Code:
title DebianDog-Porteus
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ load=ffmpeg;skype

If you want them all loaded at boot place them in /live /live/base or /live/modules.

Quote:
Is there anything special to write about 025-kernel-3.13.6-porteus.zip? I can't test it on my hardware.

That's a pity.
Well, if you possibly see any use for it, it has encryption support.
It's the same way adapted for DD as the earlier porteus kernel that's on the site.

Quote:
And something to write about Porteus-Wheezy-3.13.6-openbox.iso?
I will add it in the first post in this thread after upload + links for your google drive for older versions and link in DebianDog thread. Is this OK?

Yes, fine. It's also perfectly ok for me if you only place the google drive links and remove all porteus-wheezy from the site.
I don't have much more to add then I already mentioned, it has the same fixes and additions as latest DD.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 01:07    Post_subject:  

Hi, Fred.

All information added. If you find something for changing just write what is needed.
The kernel 3.13.6 added in separate kernel post.

We have some issue with 2Gb limit save file GUI for porteus boot. Read the question from Tm_mT. I guess it is because vfat limit for 2Gb files but I think on vfat you can't create more than 2Gb save file anyway. Is there a reason we need this 2Gb limit in mk-save.gtkdlg?
He also gets some messages with porteus boot for improper shutdown and save file warning that I can't reproduce yet.

Can you share some tips how was made this google drive setup? I like it and it is good to have somethink like this for site backup. Note I do not have google account myself. I use for download the one my wife has. So I need step by step instruction or howto link here when you have time to explain Smile

Edit. BTW, Fred, check out refracta-initrd-patch method when you have time:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/patch-live-initrd-from-refracta.tar.gz
I think rebuilding and uploading again everything just because linuxrc has some changes is not better way to provide fix than patching the initrd from the user. At least rebuilding and reuploading again few weeks after we stated stable version does not look good to me. I still think it is stable.
Fix like load= is not critical and I doubt anyone noticed it is missing. I also doubt someone uses separate kernel module different from 3.14-pae. Providing initrd patch is beter way to fix it and the rebuilding could be done when we are ready to upload new improved iso versions.
Not to mention the troubles we will have if something is wrong in the edited linuxrc. I know you are sure it is fine and it is tested well but I thought the same about desktop-editor for example and for porteus-mk-save.gtkdlg (2gb limit). It is easy to miss some test when you are the only one who tests and you are the only one who knows most options for testing and you are testing only on your own hardware, filesystem type etc...

Toni

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 227 of 255 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, ..., 253, 254, 255 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum