Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mcewanw

ffconvert 1.4.2 deb attached

#3331 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote:
Toni, I'll need another day also to upload new iso.

Fred
Hi Fred and Toni,

I suspect this is too late for inclusion in your isos but I worked on the mods I needed to shinobar's ffconvert 1.4.2 to produce compatible deb package for DebianDog as quickly as I could and here it is anyway. Tested it quickly and seems to be fine as per previous 1.4.1 version. As per previous version deb I created, this also includes the needed probedisk and probepart programs by BarryK (with all references to /root changed to ${HOME} for multi-user DebianDog system).

Cheers, William
Attachments
ffconvert_1.4.2_i386.deb.tar
For DebianDog. Just remove the dummy tar.
(64.57 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#3332 Post by mcewanw »

Toni and Fred,

Though too late for any changes probably, I know, The following list is just to help you check you have installed all the latest versions of stuff I worked on that you wanted. I thought I'd just list a quick summary of all the changes I have for new iso compared to old iso. May be some other stuff I wrote in this thread, but this is all I remember! :

ffconvert 1.4.2 deb download (previous post in this thread): http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 524#790524

DoMyFile 0.9.8. deb download: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94909

Precord 9.0.1 deb download: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49907

As far as I recall, the previous iso already had the latest pAVrecord version 9.0.0. Otherwise, you can get the deb here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81332

xrecord latest: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 915#789915

Cheers, William

EDIT: Note - I am also finishing off a small upgrade to DoMyCommand, mainly so that it also contains the hijack facility of pAVrecord and DoMyFile. I'll be uploading deb for that with a couple of hours probably. No big deal if you also don't have time now to include the changes to that though.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#3333 Post by mcewanw »

Will be uploading latest DoMyCommand deb here shortly.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

DoMyCommand latest

#3334 Post by mcewanw »

Here is the latest DoMyCommand (version 0.9.8) deb package for DebianDog:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 220#781220

Note that only the main script /usr/bin/domycommand has actually changed in this one.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#3335 Post by saintless »

I will try to include the latest changes, William.

Toni

stemsee

#3336 Post by stemsee »

dancytron wrote:Not sure anymore what chipset it is.
V4L (video 4 linux) has undergone lots of development and firmware and driver support built into newer kernels is much improved.

you can find the chipset by typing lspci or lsusb in a terminal.

fredx181

#3337 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni, All,

Uploaded new openbox_xfce iso:
DebianDog-Porteus-openbox_xfce.iso
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing
New updated locale files module "00-locale-files-openbox_xfce.squashfs" :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing

Toni, rename it as you think it's best.
I agree with William that "final" sounds to much "final" :) As there will be never anything after it.
Maybe "stable" is a better definition.
Also I think the "Porteus" can be removed from the name, it's misleading, why not just DebianDog, in the documentation anyone can read it has porteus-boot option along with the other boot options.

Besides the changes from "changes and fixes" post changed also:
- xfdesktop4 4.11 package downgraded to more stable version 4.10.
- Added Snapshot-make (for live-boot v2 only)
- Automatic symlinks /live/cow and /live/image created when booting with porteus boot method.
- Added latest changes from William for DoMyFile, DoMyCommand, ffconvert, precord and xrecord.

New screenshot below attached.

Fred
Attachments
DebianDog-openbox-xfce.jpg
DebianDog-openbox_xfce
(151.84 KiB) Downloaded 278 times

saintless

#3338 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

All uploaded and first post updated. If we do not find problems in the next few days I really do not see reason to rebuild new iso for wheezy versions anymore.

Toni

mcewanw

some bugs

#3339 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Fred and Toni,

Been a lot of changes so inevitably there are some problems. I've just had time for a quick test and found the following bugs:

1. In debiandog_jwm, when you click /mnt/home in filemanager, it no longer takes you to the /dev/mounted_partition it would in Puppy and used to in DebianDog_jwm. That works fine in openbox version though.

2. In openbox version, mplayer alone isn't playing simple mp3 files on my system, but gnome-mplayer is. mplayer worked fine with same mp3 files in jwm version.

3. I've made a mistake in Precord, at line 456 I have:

Code: Select all

if [ $(command -v lame1 2>/dev/null) ];then
when it should be lame not lame1

I had put the 1 at the end of lame during testing in order to check that mplayer would be used if lame not present, but I forgot to take the 1 out after...

To be honest, I was rushing too much at the end because the isos were in process of being released, so my other releases all need a bit of testing before I could confidently say they were 'stable'. Also, I think you have made a number of major system changes under the hood, so I'd say some further testing of these new isos is really necessary before you can say stable too...

I'll fix Precord and upload new deb later tonight (NZ time) but I won't be changing version number. That's the only fault I've found it in so far though.

Note that I wouldn't have spotted my Precord error had it not been for the mplayer issue in openbox version. In jwm version, Precord seemed to be working fine for Playback mp3, but that's cos it was using mplayer to playback (when it should have been using lame piped to aplay...).

Personally, I could do with a few more days to check the system more generally, before assigning stable to it, and my own programs in it also since they are newly released versions and could do with longer testing.

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

saintless

Re: some bugs

#3340 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.
mcewanw wrote:1. In debiandog_jwm, when you click /mnt/home in filemanager, it no longer takes you to the /dev/mounted_partition it would in Puppy and used to in DebianDog_jwm.
In portesus-boot only you have /mnt/home. /live/image is symlink to /mnt/home which is symlink to the boot partition where /live folder is located. Check out your boot code again or some left save fle or save folder. It works the same way as in OpenBox version. No bug here.
3. I've made a mistake in Precord, at line 456 I have:

if [ $(command -v lame1 2>/dev/null) ];then
when it should be lame not lame1
This is not enough reason for me for new iso. Debian package will fix this.
Personally, I could do with a few more days to check the system more generally, before assigning stable to it, and my own programs in it also since they are newly released versions and could do with longer testing.
I'm testing the system more than few days. Stable is the right word for me unless some critical bug is found. I will check mp3 problem for OpenBox version to confirm if it is the same for me.

Toni

saintless

#3341 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:2. In openbox version, mplayer alone isn't playing simple mp3 files on my system, but gnome-mplayer is.
No problem for me playing mp3 from terminal with mplayer in OpenBox version.

mcewanw

#3342 Post by mcewanw »

I'll try mp3 in openbox version again, and double-check nothing wrong with my installation. Note that openbox did play a commercial mp3 audio, but it didn't seem to like the mp3 tracks recorded via arecord and lame in Precord, so the mp3's to test should be the ones generated by Precord. They work fine in jwm version and also in Slacko, but maybe my openbox install is faulty. Yes, the Precord mistake is no big deal, specially since it works if mplayer works anyway. I'd be amazed if no other problems crop up in my programs at least though, but great if they don't and yes, a new deb can always fix them! I just don't like to release a part broken app, specially when I know the fault, though it takes time to know if an app is broken at the best of times anyway.

William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#3343 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote: Check out your boot code again or some left save fle or save folder. It works the same way as in OpenBox version. No bug here.
Hi again Toni,

/mnt/home is working as expected in my debiandog_jwm install now. I haven't changed anything (manually at least) and I installed it to a blank usb stick (and a different blank usb for openbox version). Oh well, that's fine - must have just done something odd when I was testing.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#3344 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.
Creating new deb package for precord check the multiuser function also (this is from user puppy in OpenBox):

puppy@dog:/$ precord
Recording WAVE 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
Can't init outfile '/root/2014_07_24_062835.mp3'
stdout: Broken pipe
Edit: Sorry, William, same goes for PavRecord (this time from Jwm version user puppy):

puppy@debian:~$ pavrecord
Can't init outfile '/root/2014_07_24_094327.mp3'
Toni

mcewanw

#3345 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Hi, William.
Creating new deb package for precord check the multiuser function also (this is from user puppy in OpenBox):

puppy@dog:/$ precord
Can't init outfile '/root/2014_07_24_062835.mp3'
Edit: Sorry, William, same goes for PavRecord (this time from Jwm version user puppy):

puppy@debian:~$ pavrecord
Can't init outfile '/root/2014_07_24_094327.mp3'
Toni
Strange, I don't remember changing the record code part of either app. Maybe I did! I'll check.

Cheers, William.
github mcewanw

saintless

#3346 Post by saintless »

I think this is the problem:

pavrecord line 116:

Select Target Directory: /root
precord line 132:

Select Target Directory (for example): /root
Edit: Changing manually in GUI /root to /home/puppy works so I guess it is not real bug for multiuser. Just the default folder is /root and without changing this the program errors.

Edit2: No, changing /root to $HOME/ (or any other folder inside binary files) does not work. I always get /root as default in GUI. Only manually changing from GUI works.
ls -l $HOME/ gives the correct /home/puppy output so I can't tell what exactly has to be changed yet.

Toni

mcewanw

#3347 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:I think this is the problem:

pavrecord line 116:

Select Target Directory: /root
precord line 132:

Select Target Directory (for example): /root
Edit: Changing manually in GUI /root to /home/puppy works so I guess it is not real bug for multiuser. Just the default folder is /root and without changing this the program errors.

Edit2: No, changing /root to $HOME/ (or any other folder inside binary files) does not work. I always get /root as default in GUI. Only manually changing from GUI works.
ls -l $HOME/ gives the correct /home/puppy output so I can't tell what exactly has to be changed yet.

Toni
I fixed that multiuser bug in previous released pavrecord for debiandog I think, but must have reintroduced it by accident. It isn't a bug in the program itself, just in the config files where I had /root as a default rather that ${HOME}, which is the fix I had made for the previous version. Changing it manually in the GUI should work, however, but only if you close the program with the close button, not the window x button. The window x button causes the default config to be reloaded on restart. However, manually changing dir to a user writable one in the GUI should again work fine, so it isn't really a bug, just an inconvenience that I will address in next versions. Your edit2 above seems to suggest manually selecting correct wished for save dir doesn't work - it should... EDIT: oh, I see, it does work as expected according to my rereading what you wrote.

The fix, by the way, is therefore to edit the /etc/precord/.precordrc (and /etc/pavrecord/.pavrecordrc), in which you should replace /root with ${HOME}.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#3348 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:Changing it manually in the GUI should work, however, but only if you close the program with the close button, not the window x button.
Yes, I confirm selecting from GUI different folder than /root and using Close button works and saves the new selected folder. I also think we can't call this program bug. I will test more later tonight.

Toni

mcewanw

#3349 Post by mcewanw »

Toni and Fred,

I have attached the test.mp3 file that I find plays fine with gnome-mplayer in my openbox install, but produces no audio when played with mplayer in that same install. Wonder if you could try it for me and let me know if you have the same result. If not, I am confused, why on earth does gnome-mplayer play it but not mplayer (which says it can't find the hw) on my system?

It plays with either in my jwm install (for the retry I reinstalled openbox version on yet another usb stick by the way)

Cheers, William

EDIT:

Playing test.mp3.
Detected file format: MP2/3 (MPEG audio layer 2/3) (libavformat)
[mp3 @ 0x871d240]Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
[lavf] stream 0: audio (mp3), -aid 0
Load subtitles in .
Requested audio codec family [mpg123] (afm=mpg123) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Selected audio codec: MP3 (MPEG audio layer 3) [libavcodec]
AUDIO: 22050 Hz, 1 ch, floatle, 32.0 kbit/4.54% (ratio: 4000->88200)
[AO_ALSA] Unable to set hw-parameters: Invalid argument
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
AO: [null] 22050Hz 1ch floatle (4 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A:   2.8 (02.8) of 3.1 (03.0)  0.5%                                             
[mp3float @ 0x8793600]incomplete frame
A: 3.0 (03.0) of 3.1 (03.0) 0.5%

Audio output truncated at end.
Attachments
test.tar
Just change extension from .tar to .mp3
(12 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#3350 Post by mcewanw »

Fred and Toni,

Here is something else to try.

arecord -V stereo /root/arecord_temp & { sleep 1; rm -f /root/arecord_temp; }
Just enter that odd-looking, but generally working, single line of code into a console. It should produce a simple single-line ascii vu meter detecting your microphone (assuming alsamixer set up to capture from the mic and mic boost has been activated in alsamixer).

SFR provided me with this code extract to fix arecord VU meter operating in Puppy Precise, and Puppy Slacko. It also works in DebianDog jwm, but for some reason, it doesn't work on my machine using DebianDog openbox version, which suggests some issue with alsa. It is as if alsa isn't initialised correctly.

Not surprisingly to me, xrecord doesn't seem to function in openbox debiandog on my computer either, and I haven't changed any of the recording code in that at all from previous versions (though I only probably ever tested it on jwm version).

William

Note that I'm doing all these tests on the same computer.

EDIT2: I should probably mention that if this line doesn't work you might need to do a killall arecord after that to clean the process up (or probably just closing the terminal you ran it from should do the job).
github mcewanw