Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mcewanw

#3316 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Toni,

Just a small comment that I feel you shouldn't attach the word 'final' to the iso name. Best just to remove the word beta and comment that it is the first stable release if you wish to in the download thread notes. Nothing is final :-)

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#3317 Post by saintless »

Hi, Anikin.
anikin wrote:Are you discussing bringing DD out of beta stage?
Yes, the next iso in a day or two will be the last updated Wheezy iso (unless someone find something critical for fixing). All firther fixes will be provided as separate files to replace or deb packages. And new packages will be added to the site for download and install.
Had a quick run of the latest JWM iso and am curious to know what happened to ipinfo, that Richard has tailored specifically for DD? Why has it been replaced with the one from Woof?
I'm not sure what you mean by ipinfo from Woof. DebianDog version has small edit here because some errors appeared running it from terminal. It does not connect by default to icanhazip.com and it is the one you asked from Richard as far as I know.

Toni

saintless

#3318 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:Nothing is final :-)
Hi, William.
OK, I will remove the word final before uploading both versions on the site but this does not mean new iso will be updated unless something critical is found for fixing. But I doubt there will be something critical for fixing from this point.

Toni

mcewanw

#3319 Post by mcewanw »

One non-critical utility I would like to have upgraded to latest version for including in iso is ver 1.4.2 of FFConvert. Shinobar upgraded it apparently to fix the multiuser issue we had with it till I put in a temp fix, he also fixed a few other things I haven't had time to check out. Unfortunately I've been too busy fixing up some of my own code for both Slacko and DebianDog, so haven't yet got round to check what if anything needs altered in FFConvert this time round to make it work correctly in DebianDog. Hope to check that soon though. Having said that, the existing 1.4.1 FFConvert seems to work for most things I've tried so far.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#3320 Post by saintless »

Hi, William.

There always will be newer packages versions. I don't see this as enough reason to rebuild the iso image. We will make deb packages available for download with new applications and new package versions but iso rebuilding should stop at some point. For DebianDog-Wheezy we reached this point.
There is no much interest and no reports about problems. The next updated iso is perfect for my own use and I see nothing more to be added or fixed. I will play a bit more with Squeeze version and maybe I will make one more iso update there. Then I prefer to test more SID or Jessie upgrade instead adding more applications and updating Wheezy iso. Debian repositories are more than enough source of applications to be added from the user.

Toni

mcewanw

#3321 Post by mcewanw »

Yes that's a fair view, Toni, and it is sufficient to update apps via debs as and when required; if apps are actively being developed they tend to need that regular upgrade mechanism via package management anyway.

As for interest in DebianDog, it would be nice to know how many people are actually using it or have even tried it. Considering its flexibility, it would make sense that many would be drawn to it, but users tend to stick with what they are used to or trust. I expect many more users have at least tried DebianDog than have posted to the DebianDog threads (though who knows?) - pity they don't say though, since feedback definitely encourages developments (which is always a lot of work, so difficult to maintain enthusiasm for such work when everything is already working so nicely anyway... I remember stopping work on Precord for a couple of years, because there was so little feedback - unknown to me it had stopped working because of ffmpeg changes, yet no-one said anything and it was in Puppy by default! I fixed it one day after I noticed...:-) Personally, I doubt I'd be doing any development work these past several months if it hadn't been for the fact that I took a shine to the concepts and work you started with Debian Light Squeeze followed by DebianDog - so that had a knock on effect in that it encouraged me to upgrade, a little, some of my earlier apps (such as Precord, and pAVrecord, and produce the backends for xhippo etc, with a view to perhaps doing more with these later).

William
github mcewanw

anikin

#3322 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni and everyone,

The word "icanhazip" in DD GUI ... it's tacky, it makes DD look cheap ... as if Debian has lowered its standards. Why not have the Debian networkmanager as default and frisbee as a downloadable deb?

I'm not sure which ipinfo is in my current DD - self-edited, or the one from Richard. As shown in the pic below, it looks differently.
Attachments
icanhazip.jpg
(53.49 KiB) Downloaded 435 times

saintless

#3323 Post by saintless »

Hi, Anikin.

DebianDog was born from the idea to look closer as possible like Puppy and keeping Debian functionality untouched. Frisbee is Puppy application, very good one and it is the best one in my opinion regarding size and functions. I see it as improvement compared to Debian alternative network managers.
If it looks cheap to you because of external IP name option (disabled by default) it is enough just to remove it and use Network manager or WICD, but the size of both is much bigger.

Toni

anikin

#3324 Post by anikin »

Toni,

My original question was about Richard's version of ipinfo, that doesn't display the word "icanhazip" in the network GUI - which *is* *cheap* and tasteless by any standards (and was always hidden in Puppy, btw). Just a concerned user, thinkin' aloud, not an attempt to criticize your work.

saintless

#3325 Post by saintless »

anikin wrote:My original question was about Richard's version of ipinfo...
Because in next page post he decided to use this ipinfo version for next DebianDog packages and seems this ipinfo version includes some fixes missing in the previous one:
rerwin wrote:
About ipinfo:
I did extract one version from the latest slacko with the new comment

Code: Select all

#131126 zigbert: gui (gtkdialog) improvements.
I really like this version better. Looks better and has added a checkbox for optional
use of icanhazip. Only thing I wanted to change was not to use icanhazip by default
(line 17 and 18 in the new version)

from

[ -f $HOME/.ipinfo ] && . $HOME/.ipinfo || CB0=true
to

[ -f $HOME/.ipinfo ] && . $HOME/.ipinfo || CB0=false
I think I will use yours as a new basis for the DD version, to get zigbert's fix, but with the icanhazip stuff removed, as was requested.
Toni

fredx181

#3326 Post by fredx181 »

Hi anikin, Toni,
anikin wrote:My original question was about Richard's version of ipinfo, that doesn't display the word "icanhazip" in the network GUI - which *is* *cheap* and tasteless by any standards (and was always hidden in Puppy, btw). Just a concerned user, thinkin' aloud, not an attempt to criticize your work.
Please let me understand what's so cheap about "icanhazip", I don't know nothing about it.
Or is it just about displaying IP adress option itself?

Edit: I should have searched first before asking, reading here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8&start=15
Made me a little wiser, but don't have a strong opinion about it yet.

Anyway here's the exact same ipinfo I modified without icanhazip option and still with the same improvements.
Attached ipinfo.tar.gz.

Toni, I'll need another day also to upload new iso.

Fred
Attachments
ipinfo.tar.gz
ipinfo without the dirty word ..... :-)
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 22 Jul 2014, 19:25, edited 2 times in total.

dancytron

#3327 Post by dancytron »

Saintless and others,

Well, I use it, but to be honest I use Windows XP as my main system because of my non-linux TV card and Beyond TV.

I think you'll get some more people using it once you announce that it is out of beta. A lot of people don't want to mess with beta releases. At least that seemed to be what happens with the main Puppy releases.

I understand that you built this for yourself. But I think that it is just too good to not try to "market" it outside the Puppy Community, at least a little.

Dan

greengeek

#3328 Post by greengeek »

anikin wrote:The word "icanhazip" in DD GUI ... it's tacky, it makes DD look cheap.
I think it looks fine. There has been a lot of discussion about the benefits (or downside) of connecting to an external site in order to find out the external IP that Puppy is using - and the fact that this function is able to be enabled/disabled whichever the user wants seems like a good thing to me.
dancytron wrote: A lot of people don't want to mess with beta releases
I think dancytron is right - as long as people know that beta testing is finished more people will be prepared to try it. (I know that attitude doesn't help testing/development much but many people are not confident trialling a system that still has bugs - they want to wait till the experts feel happy with the overall performance)

stemsee

#3329 Post by stemsee »

@dancytron

What is the chipset in your tv card?

dancytron

#3330 Post by dancytron »

Not sure anymore what chipset it is.

It is a avertv hybrid volar max.

Per this page, not supported. http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerMedia

It was years and years ago, but I spent some time trying to get it to work in Puppy and Ubuntu and couldn't.

I am happy with it and how it works in Windows XP.

I am using Debian Dog on my old Pentium III military/police surplus laptop (Itronix ix-250) too. For it, it will probably be the main OS from now on.

mcewanw

ffconvert 1.4.2 deb attached

#3331 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote:
Toni, I'll need another day also to upload new iso.

Fred
Hi Fred and Toni,

I suspect this is too late for inclusion in your isos but I worked on the mods I needed to shinobar's ffconvert 1.4.2 to produce compatible deb package for DebianDog as quickly as I could and here it is anyway. Tested it quickly and seems to be fine as per previous 1.4.1 version. As per previous version deb I created, this also includes the needed probedisk and probepart programs by BarryK (with all references to /root changed to ${HOME} for multi-user DebianDog system).

Cheers, William
Attachments
ffconvert_1.4.2_i386.deb.tar
For DebianDog. Just remove the dummy tar.
(64.57 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#3332 Post by mcewanw »

Toni and Fred,

Though too late for any changes probably, I know, The following list is just to help you check you have installed all the latest versions of stuff I worked on that you wanted. I thought I'd just list a quick summary of all the changes I have for new iso compared to old iso. May be some other stuff I wrote in this thread, but this is all I remember! :

ffconvert 1.4.2 deb download (previous post in this thread): http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 524#790524

DoMyFile 0.9.8. deb download: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94909

Precord 9.0.1 deb download: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49907

As far as I recall, the previous iso already had the latest pAVrecord version 9.0.0. Otherwise, you can get the deb here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81332

xrecord latest: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 915#789915

Cheers, William

EDIT: Note - I am also finishing off a small upgrade to DoMyCommand, mainly so that it also contains the hijack facility of pAVrecord and DoMyFile. I'll be uploading deb for that with a couple of hours probably. No big deal if you also don't have time now to include the changes to that though.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#3333 Post by mcewanw »

Will be uploading latest DoMyCommand deb here shortly.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

DoMyCommand latest

#3334 Post by mcewanw »

Here is the latest DoMyCommand (version 0.9.8) deb package for DebianDog:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 220#781220

Note that only the main script /usr/bin/domycommand has actually changed in this one.

William
github mcewanw

saintless

#3335 Post by saintless »

I will try to include the latest changes, William.

Toni