Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
fredx181

#3286 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
It is better not to rush with the final iso to prevent problems later.
For sure I won't!
I can confirm DebDog installer searches for floppy because I have floppy on my computers.
But it doesn't get stuck on it?
Maybe what I experienced is a exception but ,as I said before, the 'parted' dependency is only for setting the boot flag, so better replace with fdisk commandline.
Here's below attached debdog-installers.tar.gz without parted dependency.

Also DebianDog-Installer appimage needed small fix: From page 214:
Edit5: New revision uploaded with fix that will prevent that the boot flag is set on multiple partitions.
It's here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCD ... sp=sharing

I promise this is the last time I changed debdog installer :)
I can install only old Yad version which prevents apt2sfs and ffmpeg2sfs and some other scripts to work
Maybe you did already but you could try to copy only the /usr/bin/yad binary from wheezy to squeeze and see if it works.

Fred
Attachments
debdog-installers.tar.gz
debdog-install and debdog-full-install without parted dependency.
(5.74 KiB) Downloaded 203 times

fredx181

#3287 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William,
Here are the download links for DebianDog deb versions of latest:

pAVrecord version 9.0.0

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 582#656582

and

Precord version 9.0.0

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 446#370446
Thanks!
Does this mean we have now precord and xrecord or does precord maybe replace xrecord?
They seem very alike.
I could have missed something in your earlier posts, in that case, sorry.

Fred

saintless

#3288 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Fred!

I will download and test all tomorrow. Squeeze version takes much time to fix some things. Downgrading creates much more troubles than upgrading.

Floopy searching in debdog-installer - only few seconds probbing for floppy disk and the install process continue.

Copy yad binary from Wheezy does not work. The problem is in old versions or not available dependencies in squeeze needed for new yad version like: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0),
Anyway I have RemasterDog and RemasterCow working proper (but looking a bit different) and maybe I wil try to make something simpler instead GUI ffmpeg2sfs and apt2sfs.

Thanks, William!
Soon as I get some things finish for Squeeze I will upload testing iso. I will leave all packages from Wheezy available at first. If we can't get them work well we can remove some later.
Precord is new to me also. Is it new addition or for replacing xrecord?

Toni

stemsee

#3289 Post by stemsee »

I finally got around to swapping my initrd for the one you prepared from Shinobar!! adra ydrv modules loading correctly now (at least with 64bit vmlinuz). Conky now reporting save size and used space correctly. But it doesn't give me a choice of my savefiles as previous initrd did!

EDIT: It is giving me a choice of savefiles ... when it has two or more to choose from ... I forgot i deleted one!!
Last edited by stemsee on Sat 19 Jul 2014, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#3290 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Copy yad binary from Wheezy does not work. The problem is in old versions or not available dependencies in squeeze needed for new yad version like: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0),
Maybe try some ubuntu version, for example this one (for Lucid):
http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/we ... n/base/yad
or for Precise:
http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/we ... n/base/yad

Fred

mcewanw

#3291 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: Does this mean we have now precord and xrecord or does precord maybe replace xrecord?
They seem very alike.
I could have missed something in your earlier posts, in that case, sorry.

Fred
That's a tricky question to answer, Fred (and Toni). xrecord is simply a gtkdialog frontend for xhippo/xhrecord backend shell script to allow xhippo to be used for audio recording in addition to audio playback and xrecord has the advantage that it pretty much doesn't need ffmpeg and instantly terminates its gtkdialog after passing the record params over to xhippo/xhrecord. So Precord isn't a replacement for xrecord, which shouldn't I feel be removed.

Precord, on the other hand, doesn't use xhippo at all. It instead uses gtkdialog with associated script control logic to provide the record/playback control button functionality. Because Precord is a gtkdialog script (whereas xhippo itself is a C program binary), Precord is a useful addition (but not replacement) in terms of it being easy to modify it to provide additional functionality in terms of its control button interface. It is also the older sibling of pAVrecord (which also copied a lot of Precord code), so developments to pAVrecord can often be easily incorporated into Precord also (and vice versa). Since Precord is a small gtkdialog script, which doesn't thus take up much iso space, I would consider it an addition for DebianDog if you want to use it, particularly if pAVrecord is also being used (since that one absolutely needs ffmpeg whereas Precord will operate for its main mp3 recording functionality without that, even though playback functionality in Precord itself will be crippled until/unless ffmpeg is also available).

Finally, Precord, has long been provided by default in Puppy, so many Puppy users are familiar with it (though as you say, to a large extend, xrecord, which I consider intrinsic part of xhippo system I put together, mirrors its basic functionality anyway). The main reason why I myself would also adopt Precord as an addition for DebianDog is that I'm going to be writing some addon modules for it, some of which will also work immediately with pAVrecord, when I have time, and, as I said, being just a gtkdialog script, Precord doesn't take up much iso space anyway.

But it is your call whether to include it as an iso addition or not. Though it does record mp3 files, for example, without ffmpeg (and thus I don't include any ffmpeg warning message for DebianDog) the playback in Precord won't work unless ffmpeg sfs has been activated. Perhaps Precord is better just provided as an optional deb therefore(?) or the script, for the DebianDog version, could be easily modified to print ffmpeg required message, followed by an exit (like in pavrecord) if you prefer that. Let me know. I didn't include that ffmpeg message because I was happy to use it for recording mp3 without ffmpeg so didn't want program to exit if ffmpeg not available.

Cheers, William

Note that the playback facility provided by Precord is very simple and designed mainly for quick playback of recordings. It doesn't provide any of the sophisticated playback/playlist facilites provided by xhippo itself.
Last edited by mcewanw on Sat 19 Jul 2014, 05:12, edited 2 times in total.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

xhippo unchanged except use the xrecord script attached

#3292 Post by mcewanw »

Okay, the only change to the xhippo system from last iso was minor but important fix in /opt/apps/xhippo/xrecord program. Just make sure you use the attached xrecord version 1.0.8. The rest of xhippo remains unchanged.

Cheers, William
Attachments
xrecord.tar
Just remove dummy tar and put in /opt/apps/xhippo/usr/bin
(28.36 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
github mcewanw

fredx181

#3293 Post by fredx181 »

Hi, William
Thanks for the info, I'll add Precord to the final iso.
or the script, for the DebianDog version, could be easily modified to print ffmpeg required message, followed by an exit (like in pavrecord) if you prefer that
If you and Toni agree I'd like a message but then without exiting.
Just a recommendation to install or load ffmpeg and that only mp3 recording works without it.
Something like this using yad with a checkbox maybe:

Code: Select all

if [ -z `which ffmpeg` ]; then
	if [ ! -f $HOME/.precord/nomessage ]; then
MESSAGE=`yad  --center --title="Precord"  --text=" Text that recommends to have ffmpeg installed. \n Without ffmpeg only format mp3 works for recording. " \
--form \
--field=" Don't show this message again:CHK" "FALSE" \
--button="gtk-ok:0"`

NOMESSAGE="`echo $MESSAGE | cut -d "|" -f 1`"
[ "$NOMESSAGE" = "TRUE" ] && touch $HOME/.precord/nomessage
	fi
fi
Fred

saintless

#3294 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred, William.

Precord starts without errors on Squeeze version also.
I will add also xrecord updated binary to next changes post later today.

Fred,
Just for information Yad after version 20 from ubuntu links needs the same dependencies that are not available for Squeeze. Adding them manually from Wheezy breaks some programs already installed on Squeeze. I try to download ubuntu deb package for Yad 16 from your links to test it but it is not available anymore there.

Any message you add for precord I will add the same.

Toni

fredx181

#3295 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
I try to download ubuntu deb package for Yad 16 from your links to test it but it is not available anymore there
Version 0.16 lucid is here:
https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+arc ... /+packages
Edit: wrong link must be this:
https://launchpad.net/~kokoto-java/+arc ... ld/3007357
Or 0.16 pet from here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... es-slacko/

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 19 Jul 2014, 11:55, edited 2 times in total.

mcewanw

#3296 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Fred, Toni,

Okay, for the moment, I have tested Fred's code, using yad, incorporated into Precord for DebianDog (slightly modified because I wanted the code to fit into the avconv/ffmpeg choice logic already in Precord, and also used gettext, per the rest of Precord, in case anyone decided to provide translations):

It comes immediately after the line "export AVCONV" (at around line 42 of the Precord script) as shown below:

export AVCONV

if [ "$AVCONV" = ":" ]; then
 if [ ! -f ${PROGRAMHOME}/nomessage ]; then
  MESSAGE=$(yad  --center --title="$programtitle"  --text="$(gettext " Precord can record wav or mp3 audio without ffmpeg or avconv being installed. \n\n However, for full functionality, such as playback within Precord, or for\n recording most other audio formats, please install ffmpeg or avconv first.\n\n You can do this with Synaptic or apt-get or use ffmpeg2sfs to create ffmpeg.sfs\n and load it. ")" \
--form \
--field="$(gettext " Do not show this message again"):CHK" "FALSE" \
--button="gtk-ok:0")
  NOMESSAGE="$(echo $MESSAGE | cut -d "|" -f 1)"
  [ "$NOMESSAGE" = "TRUE" ] && touch ${PROGRAMHOME}/nomessage
 fi
fi
I can upload a new deb with that included shortly, or do you want to avoid using yad, Toni, so that everything will also work in Squeeze version? To be honest, I'm not really so fond of that yad code because its window can be covered up by another window and is difficult to then be found because it doesn't appear on the task bar. For that reason, and because Puppy also has it by default, which makes my development life simpler, I'd prefer to use Xdialog maybe, with a checkbox, though I haven't tried that yet.

William

EDIT: could also use a gtkdialog message with a checkbox I suppose...
github mcewanw

saintless

#3297 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Edit: wrong link must be this:
Thank you, Fred! This one seems to work OK with your scripts. At least ffmpg2sfs (after symlink structure changes) works fine. Saves me a lot of troubles to modify scripts :) Now pup-volume monitor is the main problem for Squeeze. BTW I think all boot methods we have for Wheezy will be available for Squeeze version. And dillo changed with IceWeasel (works fine on my old computer this "latest" squeeze Iceweasel version).

William,
Yad is not a problem anymore for Squeeze version, but I would prefer Xdialog since there is a chance old Yad version to stop precord from working.
It is best if you make a deb package when you have time instead I and Fred to make the changes manually in precord. If you do, please, change /usr/share/menu file section from Applications/Audio to Applications/Sound (Sound is default audio section for Debian menu. Audio is also shown after installing precord, but this is the only entry there).

Toni

saintless

#3298 Post by saintless »

stemsee wrote:But it doesn't give me a choice of my savefiles as previous initrd did!
I haven't removed or changed anything in init script. Just added the last section for DebianDog and this can't break anything else there. I get prompt choice for save file and save folder if present. Haven't tested with 2 different named save files.

saintless

#3299 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

ffmpeg2sfs and the same function in audio2video-gui-x create broken links (anyway ffmpeg.sfs will work proper with broken links). Fixed versions attached. Check out the "ln -s" lines. No other changes.

Toni
Attachments
video2audio-gui-x-ffmpeg2sfs.tar.gz
(5.63 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

fredx181

#3300 Post by fredx181 »

William wrote:EDIT: could also use a gtkdialog message with a checkbox I suppose...
Yes, better do that, I have seen bad things with the Xdialog output.
When there's some Gtk-warning it's included in the output.
Toni wrote:fredx181 wrote:
Edit: wrong link must be this:

Thank you, Fred! This one seems to work OK with your scripts. At least ffmpg2sfs (after symlink structure changes) works fine. Saves me a lot of troubles to modify scripts Smile Now pup-volume monitor is the main problem for Squeeze.
Great!
Here's attached: pup-volume-monitor files I took from my exprimo (which is sort of Squeeze based so good chance it works for you)
ffmpeg2sfs and the same function in audio2video-gui-x create broken links (anyway ffmpeg.sfs will work proper with broken links). Fixed versions attached.
Thanks, I will replace them.

Fred
Attachments
pup-volume-monitor-exprimo.tar.gz
pup-volume-monitor files taken from puppy exprimo
(58.7 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

mcewanw

#3301 Post by mcewanw »

I've used gtkdialog for the ffmpeg warning splash. Will post the new precord deb tomorrow.

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#3302 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
And dillo changed with IceWeasel (works fine on my old computer this "latest" squeeze Iceweasel version).
Just for info:
I was curious and installed the squeeze Iceweasel on DD Wheezy.
At first glance I liked it (because of it's size and also the speed) but then I noticed the constant high CPU usage around 50%, even when minimized it's continues around 50%.
But maybe on squeeze it's different.
Tried same version of firefox from here:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... /releases/
And same problem but the 4.0 version is ok (and about the same size as 3.5)

Fred

mcewanw

Precord 9.0.1 for DebianDog uploaded

#3303 Post by mcewanw »

EDIT: OK, fixed and re-uploaded...

Hi Toni and Fred,

I ended up making some major mods to Precord for DebianDog, such that most of its functionality no longer requires ffmpeg at all. However, I have included gtkdialog ffmpeg warning splash screen anyway (partly as a reminder to myself of how to do that using gtkdialog rather than yad or Xdialog). This new 9.0.1 version can now playback audio on DebianDog without ffmpeg needed (uses lame and aplay for mp3), and can even playback video files (though not record them) by using mplayer as the fallback player.

Download the deb package for DebianDog here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 446#370446

I've tested it as well as I could manage, but there are many options to test...

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

saintless

#3304 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred!

I think pup-volume-monitor is fixed with your files.
Firefox 4.0 works much slower for me. I will keep Iceweasel.

Thank you, William!
Too late to include it in DebianDog-Squeeze but I will add latest Precord in Wheezy version.

For anyone interested from old stable version here is DebianDog-Squeeze-Jwm-Icewm:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 190#741190

I will continue now with Wheezy updates for final iso.

Toni

fredx181

#3305 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
For anyone interested from old stable version here is DebianDog-Squeeze-Jwm-Icewm:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 190#741190
Congratulations!
I guess the squeeze version runs smoother on your low-ram hardware?
I think pup-volume-monitor is fixed with your files.
I forgot to mention that the service "/etc/init.d/start-pup-volume-monitor" needs to be set up (in case you didn't realize).
By:

insserv start-pup-volume-monitor
The .deb provides this with the postinstall script to make it run (start/stop) every boot.
I will continue now with Wheezy updates for final iso.
Shall we upload test iso first?

Fred