saintless

#3256 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Fred!
Added to next version changes post.

Toni

anikin

#3257 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni, Fred and all,

Setting up urxvt as default was dead easy - thanks for the lead. Easier done, than said. Regarding remasterdog, do you think, it's a good idea to make log files in var/log (all, or most of them) zero-sized?

saintless

#3258 Post by saintless »

Hi, Anikin.

I would not recommend adding /var/log files in zerosize section in RemasterDog and RemasterCow.
Some files like btmp, faillog and lastlog are not log text files.
I think zerosizing is different from opening the log file with text editor and deleting the content (what is actually what I do before official remaster for next version). Some log text files may get broken after zerosizing and create boot problem.
And at last log (txt) files with best xz compression add almost nothing to the size anyway.
Some testing could give as more information how safe is zerosizing only *.log files.
But if /var/log is less than 4Mb I think it will not make big size difference after the compression.

Toni

stemsee

#3259 Post by stemsee »

For those with 64bit capable cpu and running puppy boot method with DebianDog here is 64bit kernel and modules. I am posting from DD on this kernel right now!

Advantages are that qemu with kvm can boot 64bit OSes on 32bit DebianDog also. In addition 64bit kernel can access all available memory.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Here is a retro kernel 3.2.6-EmSee-retro no pae @300mhz 1 core.
for puppy boot method

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

saintless

#3260 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Stemsee!

I can't test 64-bit but the retro kernel gives kernel panic on my hardware:

But the kernel 3.4.94 from Slacko-6.0 beta 2 works for me.
I guess the kernel from Slacko64 - 64 bit will also work for 64-bit computers.

Why don't you open a thread with all download links inside for compiled from you kernels? They will be useful for Puppy also.

stemsee

#3261 Post by stemsee »

kernel thread?

Good idea, I will do that!
Last edited by stemsee on Mon 14 Jul 2014, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#3262 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:
Quick test confirms what I expected. I can boot 3.14 kernel only on my laptop. No more old hardware support with kernel above 3.12. Xorg fails on my old machines:
That's bad news if this means you (and others with older hardware) will never be able to upgrade to newer Debian version. I really hope this can be solved somehow.
Hi, Fred.
I'm running linux-image-3.14-1-686-pae DebianDog SID upgraded today with my usual test 128Mb old machine. I think I have this solved and we can safe upgrade at least to this kernel for Jessie and SID.

Just information for future development I think we will have to check and change few scripts for SID. I see boot partition /lib/live/mount/medium is changing depending of boot from CD, USB or HDD and using persistence save file or not to /lib/live/mount/persistence/sdX for example.

Toni

fredx181

#3263 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
I'm running linux-image-3.14-1-686-pae DebianDog SID upgraded today with my usual test 128Mb old machine. I think I have this solved and we can safe upgrade at least to this kernel for Jessie and SID.
That's good news!, but how did you solve it then?

Fred

saintless

#3264 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

Can't say it is 100% sure but the fix must be building initrd.img on the same machine from live-boot-2x:

Code: Select all

mkinitramfs -o initrd.img-3.14-1-686-pae 3.14-1-686-pae
I can only guess it has something to do with the problem we had with mplayer2 compiling.
I also changed in status and available higher versions of packages for xfe, dillo, xdm, roxterm-gtk2 to prevent upgrade.
BTW I get some strange illegal instruction warning using sudo with DebianDog-Jessie-Jwm version only even when I boot with separate kernel module. Not tested proper yet but I think it is connected with different version libs or executables inside initrd files and 01-filesystem.squashfs.

Toni

fredx181

#3265 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
Can't say it is 100% sure but the fix must be building initrd.img on the same machine from live-boot-2x:
Code:
mkinitramfs -o initrd.img-3.14-1-686-pae 3.14-1-686-pae

I can only guess it has something to do with the problem we had with mplayer2 compiling.
Ok, then, in the future, I should use the initrd.img you made, I guess.
Btw, I never used 'mkinitramfs', always 'update-initramfs', maybe that's got something to do with it.
I also changed in status and available higher versions of packages for xfe, dillo, xdm, roxterm-gtk2 to prevent upgrade.
I think a better way is to pin them (in /etc/apt/preferences)
Just in case you have trouble doing that properly, here's what I do:
Open synaptic > select the package to pin > from menu on top: > Package > Lock Version
Then it's locked/pinned in synaptic but not system wide (I think, not sure)
Then open texteditor in /var/lib/synaptic/preferences and copy and paste the contents in /etc/apt/preferences.
BTW I get some strange illegal instruction warning using sudo with DebianDog-Jessie-Jwm version only even when I boot with separate kernel module. Not tested proper yet but I think it is connected with different version libs or executables inside initrd files and 01-filesystem.squashfs.
Ok, that needs to be examined more.

Fred

saintless

#3266 Post by saintless »

I will test more this problem in the next days, Fred.
There is something more than building initrd.img on my computer.
For example I can't make DebDog-Jessie to startx by rebuilding initrd.img the same way.
Something more happens while upgrading the system on my computer.
Or maybe kernel 3.14-1-686-pae runs OK on my old hardware but 3.14-1-486 does not. I will try to upgrade with 3.14-1-486 to make sure I can startx with this kernel.
I also see some message at the end before X fails about GLX starting (if I do not mistake) with DebDog-Jessie and I do not see this message with my SID version upgraded today.
I will write again when I have something clear to report.

Toni

saintless

#3267 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

I can install and boot linux-image-3.14-1-486 without problem on my old machines.
Not clear yet but something machine specific or the way we do dist-upgrade cause problems.

Using default DebianDog kernel from here as separate kernel module booting DebianDog-Jessie-Jwm works for me but I get this error even xfe and puppy-menu still seems to work(got the same using puppy-initrd-boot):
root@debian:~# sudo xfe
Segmentation fault
root@debian:~# sudo su -c xfe
Illegal instruction
root@debian:~# menu-puppy

### NEW:

### DEL:

/opt/bin/menu-puppy: line 16: 4306 Segmentation fault sudo sh -c "ln -f -s /opt/bin/menu-puppy /opt/bin/update-menus; /opt/bin/debmenu-changes"
root@debian:~#
Hers is installed on my latest SID version and working for me linux-image-3.14-1-486 /boot folder content (initrd is auto created gzip compressed and the kernel is updated version from reading the configuration file in the archive):
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx ... sie.tar.gz
Using initrd and vmlinuz from this archive I can boot DebianDog-Jessie without troubles and the above sudo error is gone.
Using only initrd from this archive and vmlinuz1 from DebianDog-Jessie ends up with system boot freezing.

Still testing but I think we need to chose one method for dist-upgrade to make sure the problems are not from different method. I mean for example:
1. Use only live-boot-3x (initrd.img) boot for distro upgrade. Then update-initramfs is running automatically and auto-creates new /live/initrd.img and /live/vmlinuz files.
2. For DebianDog-Jwm run menu-debian before distro-upgrade (saves much time for fixing missing desktop files.
3. Same way for preventing packages from upgrade like xdm, xfe, dillo... Pinning or higher package version inside control file.
4. Same method for creating initrd1.img and initrd1.xz
Maybe more things to consider will come up later.

Toni

fredx181

#3268 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx ... sie.tar.gz
Using initrd and vmlinuz from this archive I can boot DebianDog-Jessie without troubles and the above sudo error is gone.
Thanks, Toni!, I'll test later today or tonight.

Fred

fredx181

#3269 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Some test results:
Using default DebianDog kernel from here as separate kernel module booting DebianDog-Jessie-Jwm works for me but I get this error even xfe and puppy-menu still seems to work
Couldn't get DebianDog-Jessie_Jwm to boot this way.
Not sure if I did right, I did:
Placed 021-486-kernel.squashfs (next to 01-filesystem.squashfs), initrd.img and vmlinuz1 from your archive in /live and booted the usual way as I do using live-boot v3.
Got the respawning to fast error and before that some message about GLIB wrong version.
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx ... sie.tar.gz
I had no problems also when using the files from test-for-jessie.tar.gz using live-boot v3.
However when I tried booting initrd1.img combined with the vmlinuz1 from test-for-jessie.tar.gz boot failed with lots of errors (mostly about .ko files) i guess this could have to do with the difference sid/jessie.
Still testing but I think we need to chose one method for dist-upgrade to make sure the problems are not from different method. I mean for example:
1. Use only live-boot-3x (initrd.img) boot for distro upgrade. Then update-initramfs is running automatically and auto-creates new /live/initrd.img and /live/vmlinuz files.
2. For DebianDog-Jwm run menu-debian before distro-upgrade (saves much time for fixing missing desktop files.
3. Same way for preventing packages from upgrade like xdm, xfe, dillo... Pinning or higher package version inside control file.
4. Same method for creating initrd1.img and initrd1.xz
Good suggestions!

Btw, when I did some time ago dist-upgrade to SID, I just didn't upgrade the kernel only (kept it 3.2.0-4) and it booted fine (but maybe I tested only with initrd1.xz then, can't remember and I don't have it it anymore).

Edit: Almost forgot, when I compared the extracted initrd.img from test-for-jessie.tar.gz with the one from DebianDog-Jessie_Jwm.iso I noticed there's a lot more folders in lib/firmware in your initrd.img.
Perhaps that makes the difference for you.
Edit2: Sorry, looked at again and it's actually the other way around, more stuff in in lib/firmware from my initrd.img, can't explain why.

Fred

saintless

#3270 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred!

I will test all again tomorrow to check again if I miss something.
fredx181 wrote:I had no problems also when using the files from test-for-jessie.tar.gz using live-boot v3.
This is good news we have at least one new kernel working for both of us.
BTW I experiment some extra cleaning for SID-Jwm version to see how small I can make it without breaking the system.

Some things to consider:

1. I'm not sure we need to use snapshot date repositories in apt-sources list. Wheezy also has upgrades that are not prevented from apt-get dist-upgrade and SID and Jessie will work the same way as Wheezy version does now. It is user choice to experiment upgrade or not. Maybe preventing only the kernel from upgrade and some packages like xfe, dillo will be enough?

2. Do we need DebianDog-Jessie version? I prefer not to work on Jessie till it become stable and Wheezy old stable. I think it is better after finishing Wheezy and we decide to upgrade to work on SID directly. The difference between Jessie and Sid at the moment is Jessie has a little bit older packages versions.

3. What more outside changes post do we need for Wheezy version next update? I'm experimenting with save on CD option but still far a way from success. It can be added as deb package install option later if I get it to work.

Toni

fredx181

#3271 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
1. I'm not sure we need to use snapshot date repositories in apt-sources list. Wheezy also has upgrades that are not prevented from apt-get dist-upgrade and SID and Jessie will work the same way as Wheezy version does now.
The reason I proposed the snapshot repo was in case one of us make a separate release of sid or jessie and update it from time to time.
I would prefer then testing btw, as it's probably more stable than Sid
Looks like such a release is not going to happen, but you'll never know.(but better first finish wheezy final)
2. Do we need DebianDog-Jessie version? I prefer not to work on Jessie till it become stable and Wheezy old stable. I think it is better after finishing Wheezy and we decide to upgrade to work on SID directly.
As I said above for a separate release I'd prefer jessie but maybe you mean to test for making the transition later.
I have in mind a "fluent upgrade" when Jessie becomes stable but any way how we do it, I'm sure it will become alright at the end.
3. What more outside changes post do we need for Wheezy version next update? I'm experimenting with save on CD option but still far a way from success. It can be added as deb package install option later if I get it to work.
I can't think of more at the moment.
Isn't it time for final release now?

Fred

saintless

#3272 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:Isn't it time for final release now?
Yes, I think it's time. I will start adding the changes and testing in the next few days.
I will add in the iso outside /live your portable debdog-installer and replace initrd1.xz with your crypt version.
initrd.img-crypt will be available for download from the site in case someone needs encrypted file/partition with live-boot-3x

After that I will change the folders for some packages on the site and clean it up a bit.
And later we shall see what comes next...

Toni

mcewanw

#3273 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Toni, Fred,

I'm just testing new version pAVrecord, with some major alterations, prior to releasing it. I also have to check if I already uploaded latest xrecord/xhplay related scripts.

Have family member visiting till Friday, but will try to finish in next day or two

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#3274 Post by fredx181 »

Toni wrote:Yes, I think it's time. I will start adding the changes and testing in the next few days.
Ok, I'll start with it also.
Do we add the the new mk-changes scripts with encryption support?
It's not listed in the changes post.
Btw, any reason why not replace initrd.img with initrd.img-crypt?
William wrote:Have family member visiting till Friday, but will try to finish in next day or two
Take your time William, we also need at least a few days to prepare and test.

Fred

anikin

#3275 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni, Fred and everyone,

A quick question - you've experimented with distro upgrading to Jessy/SID - did the following 2 items get upgraded too? Any recomendations for SID or Trusty?

Wheezy:
live-boot (3.0.1-1)
live-boot-initramfs-tools (3.0.1-1)

Jessy/SID:
live-boot (4.0~alpha21-1)
live-boot-initramfs-tools (4.0~alpha21-1)

Toni,

You mentioned in some other thread recently, that Ubuntu boots/starts up not quite like Debian does. Could you please, enlarge on that a little bit?