Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stemsee

#3166 Post by stemsee »

I will have a go at compiling kernel the pure debian way; which yields a kernel and image .deb package. For my own curiosity.

'tapbutton' is working nicely, by the way!

stemsee

#3167 Post by stemsee »

I can't install briquolo, nor zaz ! Any known issues?

saintless

#3168 Post by saintless »

stemsee wrote:I can't install briquolo, nor zaz ! Any known issues?
No issues.

stemsee

#3169 Post by stemsee »

I think I need a new laptop! This one is too quirky!! ...or might be me!

fredx181

#3170 Post by fredx181 »

stemsee wrote:I can't install briquolo, nor zaz ! Any known issues?
On openbox_xfce version I have no problem installing but running it gives problem because /usr/games is not in PATH env.

Toni, some time ago I thought it was fixed by reading the PATH from /etc/environment but that doesn't work anymore.
Changing it in /etc/profile does work so that needs to be fixed for the next release.
Fred, I might ask you later to include /initrd in exclude folders for RemasterDog.
If you can make the change yourself I have absolutely no objection if you change anything in any script of mine as long as you inform me about it.
I trust you don't mess things up :)

Fred

saintless

#3171 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:Changing it in /etc/profile does work so that needs to be fixed for the next release.
Jwm version PATH is in /etc/profile. Only when xdm is activated it reads the path from xdm config files.

I hope I will not break RemasterDog :) It needs only /initrd in exclude command and some extra removing while cleaning. I will post edited version when I'm ready.

Toni

fredx181

#3172 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Jwm version PATH is in /etc/profile. Only when xdm is activated it reads the path from xdm config files.
Not sure what you mean.
To avoid misunderstanding; I just mean PATH needs fixed only on openbox version, can you add it to the changes/fixes section?

I just see Jwm version has different remasterdog.
On openbox there's included /tmp as option (as anikin requested), you didn't like it maybe?

As for adding initrd folder as exception to copy, just add it to "--exclude=...." on line 43 like this:

Code: Select all

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size /bin /boot /etc /home /lib /opt /root /sbin /usr /var --exclude="/lib/live/mount,initrd" | awk 'END {print $1}')
EDIT: Sorry, above must be wrong, probably it is this (with the "/" before initrd, didn't test this):

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size /bin /boot /etc /home /lib /opt /root /sbin /usr /var --exclude="/lib/live/mount,/initrd" | awk 'END {print $1}')
EDIT: Again wrong, this works, tested now:

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size /bin /boot /etc /home /lib /opt /root /sbin /usr /var --exclude=/{lib/live/mount,initrd} | awk 'END {print $1}')
Later I changed it to a bit different (which I like more because it's similar setup as the rsync commandline):

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size / --exclude=/{dev,live,lib/live/mount,cdrom,mnt,proc,sys,media,run,tmp} | awk 'END {print $1}')
So with added initrd folder it is:

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size / --exclude=/{dev,live,lib/live/mount,cdrom,mnt,proc,sys,media,run,tmp,initrd} | awk 'END {print $1}')
And then with excluded initrd folder on line 47:

rsync -a / "/mnt/$DRV/$WRKDIR" --exclude=/{dev,live,lib/live/mount,cdrom,mnt,proc,sys,media,run,tmp,initrd} 2> /dev/null &
Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 03 Jul 2014, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#3173 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:To avoid misunderstanding; I just mean PATH needs fixed only on openbox version, can you add it to the changes/fixes section?
Done.
I just see Jwm version has different remasterdog.
On openbox there's included /tmp as option (as anikin requested), you didn't like it maybe?
Maybe I missed it is updated RemasterDog for the iso versions. I will add it from OpenBox version.

It is not only /initrd excluding change. I still work on initrd.gz from puppy. It creates some extra files and folders in /lib and /etc that have to be removed in the cleaning section of the script. I will upload edited version of RemasterDog for you when I'm sure what exactly has to be cleaned.

Toni

fredx181

#3174 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
To avoid misunderstanding; I just mean PATH needs fixed only on openbox version, can you add it to the changes/fixes section?

Done.
Thanks!
Maybe I missed it is updated RemasterDog for the iso versions. I will add it from OpenBox version.
My reply to Anikin who suggested /tmp as option for remasterdog:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 264#773264

Just for info: There are two 'TOTAL=...' occurrences in there, one for the /tmp option on line 37 and on line 95 for the other options (and on line 99 there's the rsync command)

Fred

anikin

#3175 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni and Fred,

Since you are finalizing remasterdog, one little thing regarding mksquashfs. From what I'm reading, the command in live-build scripts, specifically those of Steven Shiau has a minor difference:

-b 1024k -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -e boot
that is, boot is explicitly excluded. Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it. Interesting, the way mksquashfs is used in his scripts:
stevenshiau 2012-10-25 02:08:15

Before running mksquashfs, you can assign some environment variables:
export MKSQUASHFS_OPTIONS="-b 1024k -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -e boot"
Then your mksquashfs will honor that.
This was the parameters used when creating GParted live

fredx181

#3176 Post by fredx181 »

anikin wrote:Since you are finalizing remasterdog, one little thing regarding mksquashfs. From what I'm reading, the command in live-build scripts, specifically those of Steven Shiau has a minor difference:
Code:
-b 1024k -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -e boot
Not needed I think because for several reasons we want to keep the /boot dir as part of the system.

Fred

saintless

#3177 Post by saintless »

We need /boot folder to have working mkinitramfs for creating new initrd.img after installing new kernel.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 460#774460
And because we keep /boot/config-3.2.0-4-486 needed for some programs like Firehol:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 473#774473
I'm sure there are more reasons to keep it.

saintless

#3178 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.

RemasterDog with the changes for puppy initrd.gz boot:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/ ... tmp.tar.gz
The changes you posted yesterday for excluding /initrd + some more cleaning lines added. Copying files progress bar does not move for puppy initrd.gz boot but this is not a big problem. It will be only optional boot method for anyone who like to adapt it better in time.

Toni

fredx181

#3179 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
RemasterDog with the changes for puppy initrd.gz boot:
initrd needs to be excluded also on line 96, now you've changed only the TOTAL line for /tmp option on line 38

Fred

fredx181

#3180 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Also line 38 has missing sed command at the end so this way the /tmp option cannot be used, make it this:

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size / --exclude=/{dev,live,lib/live/mount,cdrom,mnt,proc,sys,media,run,tmp,initrd} | awk 'END {print $1}' | sed 's/.\{3\}$//')
On line 96 it needs to be without the sed command:

TOTAL=$(du -cbs --apparent-size / --exclude=/{dev,live,lib/live/mount,cdrom,mnt,proc,sys,media,run,tmp,initrd} | awk 'END {print $1}')
EDIT:Ooops, line 101 needs change also (has to be "$WORK"):

rsync -a / "$WORK" --exclude=/{dev,live,lib/live/mount,cdrom,mnt,proc,sys,media,run,tmp,initrd} 2> /dev/null &
Fred

saintless

#3181 Post by saintless »

Thank you, Fred!
I will add the changes and test it again.
Maybe I miss something, but the script seems to work correct for me as it is uploaded for live-boot-2x and puppy initrd boot. I will recheck later again after the changes.

Edit: No, I actually have tested and proper working the old version of RemasterDog. The uploaded script with /tmp has even defrent workdir . It is "/mnt/$DRV/$WRKDIR" in old one and "$WORK" in the new one. I will recheck all again for errors.

Edit2: It should be OK now. This is what happens when I do copy/paste from previous version of script ;)
Thanks, Fred!

Toni

anikin

#3182 Post by anikin »

Hi Toni, Fred and everyone,

Please, have a look at this command on line 58

mount -t tmpfs -o "remount,nosuid,size=${result}%,mode=1777" tmpfs /tmp
I changed it as follows:

mount -t tmpfs -o "remount,nosuid,size=60%,mode=1777" tmpfs /tmp
but it doesn't seem to do anything, tmpfs size remains unchanged. The same command run in the terminal without 'remount':

mount -t tmpfs -o "nosuid,size=60%,mode=1777" tmpfs /tmp
gives me an increase of tmpfs size.

fredx181

#3183 Post by fredx181 »

anikin wrote:Hi Toni, Fred and everyone,

Please, have a look at this command on line 58

mount -t tmpfs -o "remount,nosuid,size=${result}%,mode=1777" tmpfs /tmp
I changed it as follows:

but it doesn't seem to do anything, tmpfs size remains unchanged. The same command run in the terminal without 'remount':

gives me an increase of tmpfs size.
This on Wheezy, right? (because on Jessie or Sid it's different).
The size of /tmp is set in /etc/default/tmpfs and default is 70%.

TMP_SIZE=70%VM
If I do this the size of my /tmp is decreased (from the default 70 to 60%

When doing this:

mount -t tmpfs -o "remount,nosuid,size=80%,mode=1777" tmpfs /tmp
The size is increased (I have 1G of RAM, so 80% is 800M:

root@dog:~# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
.. stuff deleted..
tmpfs           802M   28K  802M   1% /tmp
Better not do this (as your last code) because then /tmp becomes empty, with bad consequences:

Fred

anikin

#3184 Post by anikin »

Yes, I'm testing it in Wheezy and the command in the script does nothing for me. In etc/defaults everything is commented out here. If I remember correctly, tmpfs is set to 20% in initrd.

# Size limits.  Please see tmpfs(5) for details on how to configure
# tmpfs size limits.
#TMPFS_SIZE=20%VM
#RUN_SIZE=10%
#LOCK_SIZE=5242880 # 5MiB
#SHM_SIZE=
#TMP_SIZE=

fredx181

#3185 Post by fredx181 »

Hi anikin,
[quote]Code:# Size limits.