Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 20:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 175 of 232 [3479 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, ..., 230, 231, 232 Next
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 11 May 2014, 18:27    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi Toni,
Quote:
Thanks. Since I'm not 100% sure I will be ready tonight can you make the boot code as you see it best? I will copy live.cfg from your iso to jwm version.

Ok, no problem.
Remember..., no rush :wink:

Fred

Saves time in the end not to upload until, as far as known, faults all ironed out; no rush is good to avoid too many fixes needing added soon after!

saintless

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 02:37    Post subject:  

Hi, William.

I agrree with you about user account should not know root password but for example Gparted installed with apt-get needs root passweord by default (it uses su-to-root instead sudo). Some programs that are not debian native also should ask for root password like RemasterDog, RemasterCow, Frisbee (you are changing the network settings for root account also)... Note this programs will work with sudo if we remove gsu line in the begining of the executable script. I just think it is better to use them with root password to prevent problems. Maybe It is better to keep all programs using sudo but this means to give easy option to break the system with user password.
For debian programs that are made to run sudo from user account like rcconf I prefer to use sudo also because it will create desktop file used from all user accounts later. This will save time for proper setup of user account.

On the other hand this command makes hiding root password from user useless:
Code:
sudo passwd root
Enter new UNIX password:

And the user is the only one who knows the root password now.

The system administartor will be able to prevent such problems but it will be very difficult to do it from user who likes to read and experiment in this direction.

Toni
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 03:42    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:
Also improved usr/local/bin/mountlink.

New mountlink does not create /mnt/home link for JWM version.
I also suggest we wait with new iso uploads for a while. Many scripts are improved and testing for every boot method and every boot code is needed.
I also suggest after we test proper all included now to keep script improvements as separate download for testing. Otherwise we can easy break something that works.

Toni

saintless

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 04:34    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.
Replacing the attached files in /etc/apt will fix this message from apt-get update (if you like to include this fix in OpenBox version):
Code:
Fetched 181 B in 4s (37 B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: ftp://ftp.deb-multimedia.org wheezy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 07DC563D1F41B907
etc-apt-gpg.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  etc-apt-gpg.zip 
Filesize  32.25 KB 
Downloaded  33 Time(s) 
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 06:15    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
Quote:
New mountlink does not create /mnt/home link for JWM version.

Yes, I'll try fix it, it's only when no changes= parameter is used, right?

Quote:
I also suggest we wait with new iso uploads for a while. Many scripts are improved and testing for every boot method and every boot code is needed. .

Yes, you're right.

Quote:
Replacing the attached files in /etc/apt will fix this message from apt-get update (if you like to include this fix in OpenBox version):

Thanks!

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 11:34    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:
it's only when no changes= parameter is used, right?

I guess so but haven't test it proper to confirm. I booted without changes= when I noticed /mnt/home is missing (because of broken link /live/image).

Testing new restdpkg - it is even more complicated as I thought. Seems to work well if you load only one sfs made with remastercow but we can not cover all situation to confirm this with sure.

Test this to see where we hit the wall with dpkg:

1. Start with fresh save file:
Code:
apt-get install audacity

2. Create new module with RemasterCow called 02-audacity.sfs

3. Install also vlc:
Code:
apt-get install vlc

4. Create new module with RemasterCow called 03-audacity-vlc.sfs

5. Reboot without save file and load 02-audacity.sfs and 03-audacity-vlc.sfs

6. Run restdpkg.

7. Run this commands and check out the output:
Code:
root@debian:~# apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  audacity-data liba52-0.7.4 libaa1 libaacplus2 libass4 libasyncns0
  libavc1394-0 libavutil51 libbluray1 libcaca0 libcddb2 libcdio13
  libcrystalhd3 libdca0 libdirac-encoder0 libdirectfb-1.2-9 libdvbpsi7
  libebml3 libenca0 libfaac0 libfaad2 libfdk-aac0 libflac++6 libgsm1
  libiso9660-8 libjack-jackd2-0 libjson0 libkate1 liblircclient0 liblua5.1-0
  libmatroska5 libmng1 libmodplug1 libmpcdec6 libmpeg2-4 libmtp-common
  libopencore-amrnb0 libopencore-amrwb0 libopus0 liborc-0.4-0 libportaudio2
  libportsmf0 libpostproc52 libproxy0 libpulse0 libqtcore4 libqtgui4
  libraw1394-11 libresid-builder0c2a libsbsms10 libschroedinger-1.0-0
  libsdl-image1.2 libsdl1.2debian libshout3 libsidplay2 libsndfile1
  libsoundtouch0 libspeex1 libspeexdsp1 libswscale2 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a
  libtar0 libtdb1 libtheora0 libts-0.0-0 libtwolame0 libupnp6 libva-x11-1
  libva1 libvamp-hostsdk3 libvcdinfo0 libvlc5 libvlccore5 libvo-aacenc0
  libvo-amrwbenc0 libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2 libvorbisfile3 libvpx1
  libwbclient0 libwebp2 libwrap0 libwxbase2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-0 libx264-124
  libx264-130 libx264-132 libxcb-composite0 libxcb-keysyms1 libxcb-randr0
  libxcb-xv0 libxvidcore4 libzvbi-common libzvbi0 tsconf vlc-data
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  audacity libavcodec53 libavcodec54 libavformat53 libavformat54 libdc1394-22
  libmtp9 libsmbclient vlc vlc-nox
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 10 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 63.8 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
Abort.

root@debian:~# apt-get purge vlc
Building dependency tree       
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libavcodec53 : Depends: libmp3lame0 (>= 1:3.99.0) but 3.99.5+repack1-3 is to be installed
 libavcodec54 : Depends: libmp3lame0 (>= 1:3.99.) but 3.99.5+repack1-3 is to be installed
 libdc1394-22 : Depends: libusb-1.0-0 (>= 2:1.0.) but it is not installable
 libmtp9 : Depends: libusb-1.0-0 (>= 2:1.0.8) but it is not installable
 libsmbclient : Depends: libtalloc2 (>= 2.0.4~git20101213) but it is not installable
 vlc-nox : Depends: (>= 0.5.0) but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
root@debian:~#

8. Check out in new created status: libusb-1.0-0 , libtalloc2, libmp3lame0, libv4l-0:
Code:
Package: libusb-1.0-0

Package: libmp3lame0

Package: libtalloc2

Package: libv4l-0

If you load only 03-audacity-vlc.sfs and run restdpkg all is fine.

I think it is because some packages are available 4 times instead two and there are 2 different versions for some packages like libmp3lame0 (wuith different installed size) in /tmp/status.new

Are you sure you want to continue working on this? If you do let us fix the new iso versions and rethink again update status process for a few days.

Toni
saintless

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 14:34    Post subject:  

mcewanw wrote:
I am sure I would use Firehol rather than the Puppy default one (unless it has as good features as firehol - I haven't seen any docs on Puppy firewall - what is it?)

Hi, William.
Can you, please, test this when you have time?
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/Temp-stuff/firewall-puppy_1.0.0-1_i386.deb
It is Puppy Firewall script deb package. Install it and start from Settings --> Firewall Puppy
You will see 3 options for setup.
I already have Firehol working from boot with default configuration settings but it will be good if someone with more experience with firewalls test this package. Maybe it is better than Firehol?

Toni
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 16:24    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,

I really did exactly the same as you described and got a complete different outcome (it passed the test!).
Code:
root@dog:~# restdpkg
root@dog:~# apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree       
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded.
root@dog:~# apt-get purge vlc
Building dependency tree       
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  vlc*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 14 not upgraded.
After this operation, 3449 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

I am almost sure that the outcome you had is because of "info-new" and "infonew" where remastercow and restdpkg are not corresponding.
I mean that remastercow renames to /var/lib/dpkg/infonew and the restdpkg script has /var/lib/dpkg/info-new.
Can you confirm?
If that's the case, sorry for that!
In the restdpkg script the move line for "info-new" (that needs to be "infonew") is just under "l_boot()" for live-boot.
And it's just under "p_boot()" for porteus-boot.
Quote:
Are you sure you want to continue working on this? If you do let us fix the new iso versions and rethink again update status process for a few days.

With this outcome I surely want, but later,as you say first concentrate on new iso.

Fred
mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 19:05    Post subject:  

saintless wrote:
mcewanw wrote:
I am sure I would use Firehol rather than the Puppy default one (unless it has as good features as firehol - I haven't seen any docs on Puppy firewall - what is it?)

Hi, William.
Can you, please, test this when you have time?
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Fredx181/Temp-stuff/firewall-puppy_1.0.0-1_i386.deb
It is Puppy Firewall script deb package. Install it and start from Settings --> Firewall Puppy
You will see 3 options for setup.
I already have Firehol working from boot with default configuration settings but it will be good if someone with more experience with firewalls test this package. Maybe it is better than Firehol?

Toni

Hi Toni, I installed your Puppy Firewall deb and it works okay. I closed a few ports and then checked it worked by running nmap scan from other machine (I actually used the GUI for nmap called zenmap).

However, I also looked at the firewall code, a script in /opt/bin/firewall_script.sh. It's very old (2003) and no longer supported. Also I don't think it can handle IPv6, which firehol now does. Firehol is more sophisticated and better longterm. Even BarryK was apparently looking for a replacement to Puppy firewall according to some forum posts I read.

Ah... I just noticed the firehol you had installed on last iso is an old version? That would change my opinion. Only the latest firehol handles IPv6. If you don't want to install that one for some reason, then maybe it would be better not to install any or to just provide that Puppy firewall, which is good enough for most users and easy to configure. I have never tried configuring firehol, but seems to involve simple modification of some text file, but that isn't so easy for general users as Puppy firewall.

Nice to provide some kind of firewall and experienced user could indeed always add something else later.

saintless

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2014, 01:55    Post subject:  

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:
I am almost sure that the outcome you had is because of "info-new" and "infonew" where remastercow and restdpkg are not corresponding.

No, I rename manually infonew to info-new before running restdpkg, otherwise I get error message from terminal restdpkg can't find info-new folder.
I will test this again proper after we upload new iso versions. Maybe I do something wrong. I also use only JWM version with live-boot-2. I doubt this can be the reason for this problem but I will test with porteus boot and OpenBox version later. Maybe I mixed the two versions of restdpkg at some point...

Fred, I plan to remove from /etc/rc.local this line:
Code:
exit 0

For example if some program like puppy firewall adds information there at the end it is after "exit 0" line and does not read the information after "exit 0". Do you see any problem in removing this line? I see no errors on boot after removing "exit 0". If you do the same I will make new puppy firewall package to work on both versions. Now it simply adds new rc.local without "exit 0" line.

Toni

Last edited by saintless on Tue 13 May 2014, 03:52; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2014, 02:01    Post subject:  

Thanks for testing this, William.

I will remove firehol then and add puppy-firewall not active from boot as it is in Puppy. It is much easier to be setup and well known to Puppy linux users. I'm sure I can make latest Firehol work on DebianDog but it is not easy to set it up as puppy-firewall. Advanced user can install anything from debian repository later and remove puppy-firewall.

Toni

fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2014, 04:17    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
Quote:
No, I rename manually infonew to info-new before running restdpkg, otherwise I get error message from terminal restdpkg can't find info-new folder.

Ah, I see, mysterious why it didn't work for you but we'll see later.
Quote:
exit 0
For example if some program like puppy firewall adds information there at the end it is after "exit 0" line and does not read the information after "exit 0". Do you see any problem in removing this line?

I don't know.
In rc.local it says explicitly "#Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other value on error."
Maybe this is useful:
Code:
line="new line before exit 0"
sed -i '$ i '"$line"'' /etc/rc.local

It will insert a new line just before "exit 0"

Or make init script specially for firewall in /etc/init.d
If you want I can help with that.

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2014, 04:31    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
In rc.local it says explicitly "#Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other value on error."
Maybe this is useful:
Code:
line="new line before exit 0"
sed -i '$ i '"$line"'' /etc/rc.local

It will insert a new line just before "exit 0"

Or make init script specially for firewall in /etc/init.d
If you want I can help with that.

Yes, I read the same about exit 0 line. It is better to keep it inside rc.local to be safe.

I will try to edit firewall script and ask for help if I can't. It will be nice experience for me Smile

Edit: Quick test shows it is possible to have puppy-firewall working as multiuser with different firewall settings for each account. I need to test this proper and check out for errors but it should work.

Toni

anikin

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2014, 08:10    Post subject:  

Hi Toni and everyone,

Regatding firewalls, firstly, you're not required, or even expected to provide firewalls or firewalling guidance to users. That is simply not your job. By anaology, you gave the customer a car and it's entirely his responsibility how to drive it - safely by the rules of the road, by his own rules, or without any rules. Secondly, why is the choice limited to only two options - firehol vs puppy firewall? In my humble view, if DebianDog has to have a firewall, the choice should be uwf vs arno-iptables-firewall. Both are simple and easy to understand and use, both are installable via apt-get, besides uwf is the default firewall in Ubuntu. Everyone knows, what's good for Ubuntu is good for Linux and this community Smile Let's test these options too before making the final decision. As a side note, the installation process of arno-iptables-firewall will teach the user almost everything he needs to know about firewalling. However, ufw is simpler and it's really hard to chose between the two - both are excellent.
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2014, 09:16    Post subject:  

Hi Toni,
First, here's new mountlink script, I tested a lot with all sort of cases and should be ok now.
Also, not sure if it's useful, a graphical sudo script: "gsudo".
It's similar to gsu but then for sudo so needs user password.
See attached zip.

Second..., I couldn't resist to try restdpkg on Jwm version Smile and got the same broken dpkg, same as you had.
So that made me think about what's the difference then between openbox and jwm version.
I found out:
It' because of the residual config files from some packages that are still left on the jwm version.
What I did (on JWM version) -before installing and running remastercow- was this:
Code:
dpkg --purge `dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | cut -f1`

This removes the config files and the registration of these packages.
Then install and run remastercow exactly the way you described with audacity and vlc.
Ok then reboot with empty (or without) savefile and do again:
Code:
dpkg --purge `dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | cut -f1`

Load the modules, run restdpkg and it's all fine then.
I'm not sure yet but maybe it's sufficient to put the dpkg --purge line on top of remastercow and restdpkg.
And it's good I think to remove the config files for new iso.

Fred
mountlink_gsudo.zip
Description 
zip

Download 
Filename  mountlink_gsudo.zip 
Filesize  1.24 KB 
Downloaded  28 Time(s) 
Page 175 of 232 [3479 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, ..., 230, 231, 232 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: