sleep 1
/opt/apps/wallpapers/wallpapers.d rox &
sleep 1
/opt/bin/start-up &
sleep 1
frisbee-tray &
sleep 1
volumeicon
Thank you, Fred. I will test this on mine low ram computers. I guess the reason you have this issue is the iso loads 3 maximum compressed xz modules instead of only one. Maybe it makes the system boot stress more.

Toni

saintless

#1187 Post by saintless »

New updated DebianDog-PorteusDog-test.iso uploaded:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/Light-Whe ... g-test.iso
It includes the fixes from Fred about relative symlinks, new initrd, mountlink working. The previous version is removed.

fredx181

#1188 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
Just playing a little with the startup file worked for me, hope for you and others also:
Code:
desktop_drive_icons &
sleep 2
/usr/bin/rox -p /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/pinbd &
sleep 1
/opt/apps/wallpapers/wallpapers.d rox &
sleep 1
/opt/bin/start-up &
sleep 1
frisbee-tray &
sleep 1
volumeicon

Did a couple of reboots with savefile, still good.
This didn't work always either, also when choosing another workspace-desktop the frisbee and volume icon disappear.

This really solved it for me:
Comment out the frisbee and volumeicon lines in~/.icewm/startup.
Copy /usr/bin/frisbee-tray to /root/Startup
Create new shellscript in /root/Startup with:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
volumeicon &

BTW nIce work with the wallpaper change when changing desktops!

Fred

mcewanw

#1189 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Toni
Just playing a little with the startup file worked for me, hope for you and others also:
Code:
desktop_drive_icons &
sleep 2
Did a couple of reboots with savefile, still good.
This didn't work always either, also when choosing another workspace-desktop the frisbee and volume icon disappear.

This really solved it for me:
Comment out the frisbee and volumeicon lines in~/.icewm/startup.

#!/bin/sh
volumeicon &

Fred
Just wondered if you have tried running all the pieces like desktop_drive_icons without putting them into the background with &. Then each part would have to complete before the next line in the shell script was done. Perhaps you don't really need the sleep commands in that case?

I haven't checked because I am not sure what the problem you are experiencing is exactly.
github mcewanw

saintless

#1190 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Comment out the frisbee and volumeicon lines in~/.icewm/startup.

#!/bin/sh
volumeicon &

Thank you, Fred. I will change it this way.

BTW nIce work with the wallpaper change when changing desktops!
It is all Terry's great work. He also writes GUI to change the wallpapers. We have separate wallpapers for each user also. Thank you, Terry :)

saintless

#1191 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:Just wondered if you have tried running all the pieces like desktop_drive_icons without putting them into the background with &. Then each part would have to complete before the next line in the shell script was done. Perhaps you don't really need the sleep commands in that case?
Hi, William.
I tested all options also without & when I first met this problem but it didn't work on 128 Mb RAM computer. I think the solution for Fred will be enough. I doubt someone else will use DebianDog on 128Mb RAM as I do :)

Toni

starhawk

#1192 Post by starhawk »

...a little help, here? I'm trying to try this out (specifically Light Wheezy 2) and I'm having some trouble getting it to boot, due at least partially to the nature of my hardware :oops:

The system that I want to try this on is a very weird and cantankerous contraption indeed. It will only accept USB flash drives that are partitioned FAT32 (although it doesn't seem to see linux-swap) with one single partition, and it cannot boot from GRUB or grub4dos (I've tried both). Further, it will not boot from a USB optical drive, nor will it boot from a hard drive stuck into a USB->IDE/SATA adapter. It has an internal (IDE) drive header but the BIOS turns that off as soon as an OS kernel boots, because it thinks it's being funny (it's not -- particularly since there's no way to disable that horrible behavior). Tricky little fellow, now, isn't it!

The trouble is that I can't seem to get Syslinux to find things. Currently, the drive has the following files (here, / refers to the root of this drive)...

/live/ [directory]
/syslinux/ [directory]
/ldlinux.sys
/live/01-filesystem.squashfs
/live/initrd1.img
/live/initrd2.img
/live/vmlinuz1
/live/vmlinuz2
/syslinux/syslinux.cfg

My syslinux.cfg looks like this:

LABEL LightWheezy2-NonPAE
	KERNEL /live/vmlinuz1
	APPEND rw root=/dev/sda1 initrd=/live/initrd1.img boot=live config persistent quickreboot noprompt autologin toram=01-filesystem.squashfs
I'm sure I'm doing a lot of something wrong, because syslinux wanders off daftly searching for a nonexistent file named simply "linux"... and upon not finding it, errors out. But given the truly astonishing massive lack of readable simple-English information on the 'Net about how to configure syslinux, I don't know how to fix it :(

Perhaps someone here can help?

fredx181

#1193 Post by fredx181 »

Hi starhawk
My syslinux.cfg looks like this:
Code:
LABEL LightWheezy2-NonPAE
KERNEL /live/vmlinuz1
APPEND rw root=/dev/sda1 initrd=/live/initrd1.img boot=live config persistent quickreboot noprompt autologin toram=01-filesystem.squashfs
Maybe I do not understand all but:
- why "rw root=/dev/sda1"? leaving that out could make it work.
- I think I recognize what you say about searching for "linux"
"Could not find kernel image: linux"
If that's the message try google-search for that.
See here for example:
http://old.slax.org/forum.php?action=vi ... ntID=58998

I had that also some time ago and solved it by formatting to fat16 instead of fat32.
Hope it helps.
Fred

starhawk

#1194 Post by starhawk »

I had the root= thing there because the Syslinux wiki had something similar (ro though, instead of rw).

EDIT: removing that did not fix :cry: same error. I'll look at the slax link later -- I've got to go make dinner right now.
EDIT2: looked at the slax thread anyways because I'm silly :P I don't think I can do the FAT16 thing on a 32gb flash drive and be able to use the whole drive (which would be preferred) -- also, this machine boots syslinux just fine when BootFlash sets it up.

Just had a thought about that, actually, let me try something.

starhawk

#1195 Post by starhawk »

Got it! (Sort of.)

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/ ... LT_command

Adding the line:

DEFAULT /live/vmlinuz1
fixed it.

But now it chokes with some gobbledegook about pci_root and a host bridge window. I'm tempted to blame ACPI -- what could I use to try and bypass that?

EDIT: never mind, I know Puppy best, so I think I'll stick with that. Sorry for wasting folks' time (and John's server space).
Last edited by starhawk on Thu 06 Feb 2014, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#1196 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:
fredx181 wrote:Comment out the frisbee and volumeicon lines in~/.icewm/startup.

#!/bin/sh
volumeicon &

Thank you, Fred. I will change it this way.
The following scheme seems to work for me:

In /root/Startup, I have the following shell scripts (using exec to not keep the starting sh process):

volumeicon_start

#!/bin/sh
exec volumeicon &
desktopdriveicons_start

#!/bin/sh
exec desktop_drive_icons &
roxwallpapers_start

#!/bin/sh
exec /opt/apps/wallpapers/wallpapers.d rox &
and a relative symbolic link to ../../usr/bin/frisbee-tray

Then in /root/.icewm/startup I simply have:

#!/bin/sh
exec /opt/bin/start-up &
And in /opt/bin/start-up, I have:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/rox -p /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/pinbd &
wait
ls /root/Startup/* | while read J
do
   "$J" &
   wait
done
Gets rid of lots of sleeps and seems to work perfectly on my system though I haven't tested it much yet.

Would be worth checking that a restart iceWM doesn't lose any of the icons.
Also prior to the above arrangement I used to get an annoying little X window obscuring the xterm icon sometimes and that problem hasn't resurfaced here yet.

I'm not sure if the second "wait" above is important - I'll try without it.

EDIT: Actually, removing the & from the end of line: /usr/bin/rox -p ... pinbd, and also removing both 'wait' commands seemed to work for me too. Result:

/opt/bin/start-up

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/rox -p /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/pinbd
ls /root/Startup/* | while read J
do
   "$J" &
done
But as I say, I haven't tested this much for reliability yet. Perhaps (?) it is more reliable with the wait(s) but I'd try without first.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#1197 Post by mcewanw »

The alternative might be to use "wait" instead of the various sleeps in your previous /root/.icewm/startup, but I haven't tried that as yet.However, I think it is better anyway to put the various parts in /root/Startup, as per my above post, since it is easy to see what you are putting in the tray and easy to change that rather than having to modify a script. Should really be ${HOME}/Startup, I feel, since lets user change their own desktop tray (maybe it already is, I'm about to go out and haven't time to check).

EDIT: On second thoughts, it is also fine if it is all just in /root/Startup since these are pretty much default tray items the user will want anyway.
github mcewanw

saintless

#1198 Post by saintless »

Thank you, William.
I will test your suggestions on my old hardware. It will show best if there is any difference regarding the issue we have with Fred.

BTW this is exactly the issue we have with Fred:
Also prior to the above arrangement I used to get an annoying little X window obscuring the xterm icon sometimes and that problem hasn't resurfaced here yet.
Toni
Last edited by saintless on Thu 06 Feb 2014, 06:11, edited 2 times in total.

saintless

#1199 Post by saintless »

starhawk wrote:The system that I want to try this on is a very weird and cantankerous contraption indeed. It will only accept USB flash drives that are partitioned FAT32 (although it doesn't seem to see linux-swap) with one single partition, and it cannot boot from GRUB or grub4dos (I've tried both).
Hi, Starhawk.
Perhaps all you need to do is to create bootable Fat32 flash drive from the iso. If you like to try this sometime here is a way to do it easy from Windows:
http://foxyroxylinux.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105
Or from linux. I think Puppy also have Unetbootin pet package:
http://foxyroxylinux.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=133
Just in case you decide to try again someday.

Toni

emil

etc/skel

#1200 Post by emil »

regarding tray elements:
there is the skeleton user directory /etc/skel

I hope I understand it right.
things you put into it will be used to create a home directory for new users.
so if you put it into root and in the skel dir then every user can customize its own tray.

saintless

Re: etc/skel

#1201 Post by saintless »

Hi, Emil.
Multiuser is new area for me but from what I learned - yes.
Everything in /etc/skel will be included in /home/hew-user with owner new-user
emil wrote:so if you put it into root and in the skel dir then every user can customize its own tray.
Yes, just copy from /root to /etc/skel all you like every user to have.
Regarding the tray the user will have to modify /home/user/.icewm/startup to make the tray looks different.

Toni

saintless

#1202 Post by saintless »

fredx181 wrote:Also what I would like in porteus-boot version is in icewm-menu an entry for special porteus-savefile-create instead of live-rw create, now there's only the prompt for it at shutdown
Hi, Fred.
I think all I need is to use /usr/bin/makepfile.sh from Porteus-Wheezy
Is there anything else I should copy to make porteus save file work?

BTW while experimenting I loaded main puppy.sfs module with SFS-loader in DebianDog and this broke the live-rw save file.
I see Porteus-Wheezy have right click load / unload module options. Maybe warning to be careful right clicking on main puppy sfs modules will be useful in load module right click option.

Edit: Thank you for RemasterCow script. I need to test it few days and clear my vision about what changes will be needed.
In porteus boot DebianDog-PorteusDog.iso /live/cow is symlink to /lib/live/mount/changes so remstercow should work for both boot methods.
This is also very good option for DebianDog and Porteus-Wheezy to have snapshot only with the changes without remastering the main module.
Toni

fredx181

#1203 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
fredx181 wrote:
Also what I would like in porteus-boot version is in icewm-menu an entry for special porteus-savefile-create instead of live-rw create, now there's only the prompt for it at shutdown

Hi, Fred.
I think all I need is to use /usr/bin/makepfile.sh from Porteus-Wheezy
Is there anything else I should copy to make porteus save file work?
No, the makepfile.sh script is the one.

Tried your last version and all seems to be ok.
Tried boot option "changes=EXIT:/<pathtochangesfile>": working fine also.
The mountlink script runs well now and you might have noticed already: /mnt/home and /mnt/saved symlinks.
/mnt/home is in fact the same as /live/image and /mnt/saved same as /live/cow.
When boot option "changes=EXIT:/<pathtochangesfile>" is used: /mnt/saved is symlink to:
/mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit
Without the EXIT: changes boot option: /mnt/saved is symlink to /mnt/live/memory/changes
(this is what the mountlink script takes care of)
So what I'd like to suggest is that /live/cow becomes symlink to /mnt/saved
Then both changes options work for the remastercow script.

DebianDog-Beta version almost ready I think! :)

EDIT:
BTW while experimenting I loaded main puppy.sfs module with SFS-loader in DebianDog and this broke the live-rw save file.
I see Porteus-Wheezy have right click load / unload module options. Maybe warning to be careful right clicking on main puppy sfs modules will be useful in load module right click option.
yes, I agree, will look into that.

Fred

fredx181

#1204 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni
Trying out puppy user now:
First went perfect but after reboot with savefile I get this when changing desktops:

Error saving pinboard /home/puppy/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/pinbd: Permission denied
EDIT: there is problem when with porteus version "changes=EXIT:" is used when running as puppy user.
When rebooting it depends on /usr/bin/wmreboot>save2flash>snapmergepuppy.
The last needs to write to /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit which I think only root can do.
Maybe also the "su root" option ?
I'll think about this more.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Thu 06 Feb 2014, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#1205 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
Thank you for testing the save options for porteus boot. I tried to follow your instructions and the changes in porteus kernel module with yad and obshutdown you made for DebianDog. Glad to read all is OK this time.
fredx181 wrote:So what I'd like to suggest is that /live/cow becomes symlink to /mnt/saved
Then both changes options work for the remastercow script.
Yes, I will do that. Maybe /live/image link to /mnt/home also will be better.
DebianDog-Beta version almost ready I think! :)
Not yet i think but we are much closer.
Trying out puppy user now:
First went perfect but after reboot with savefile I get this when changing desktops:

Error saving pinboard /home/puppy/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/pinbd: Permission denied
Thank, I will look at this. I know Terry makes new wallpapers script + GUI. It will be changed soon but I will see way is this error.

Toni