Installed Chrome in Precise 5.7.1 but it doesn't work

Booting, installing, newbie
pablito

Installed Chrome in Precise 5.7.1 but it doesn't work

#1 Post by pablito »

Hi,
I installed Precise Puppy 5.7.1 & came with Opera, It is going very slow & sometimes way to slow.
I installed Google_chrome but doesn't work. Even installed dependencies.
Also I installed Chromium through the Puppy Package Manager &doesn't work.
Is there anybody who knows the codes to add to make it work?
I appreciate the help!
Thank you so much!

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

You can download Google Chrome 31.0.1650.57 or Chromium 31.0.1650.57 from here:-
http://yadi.sk/d/zTshLczR4wHj8

They do work in Precise 5.7.1 but if you have Opera it seems you have the RETRO version of Precise. Is your hardware very old? If so that might be why modern browsers run slowly.
Oscar in England

pablito

I have Precise retro

#3 Post by pablito »

Hi Oscar,
Thank you for your help, I guess, yes I think I have retro. my laptop is kind of old but is a Pentium (R) 4 cpu 1.80Ghz 1.79Ghz 2GBRam.
Do you think if I have a clean install with precise without the retro will work better?
I did install before the precise a bit newer version than this one but it kept freezing & I thought my system couldn't take it.
This one is ok but with Opera, I'm crawling, way to slow.
By the way I downloaded the Chrome from your place & still doesn't work.
But even if I manage to install it, do you think will continue going slow?
Please advise me, I'm about a week old with puppy & I already installed a few versions, having a bit of a problem & learning about it at the same time.
I just want a reliable system that works properly & fast, no need to install latest versions, as probably my laptop will not take it.
Thank you!

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Your PC motherboard has enough power to run all of the 32bit PUPs existing today. at really decent performance. I've run a similar platform for testing and have found no problems when reaching desktop. Thus any modern browser should perform well without issues with your PC's power.

Are you running with a swap partition? This could be very helpful to your system's operation. Please run the following command and report

Code: Select all

# free
I have run a PUP of late with Firefox, SeaMonkey and Chrome...not Opera.

Pups which I have tested, recently, are 01Micko's Slacko 5.6, Pemaus's Precise and DPup, ETP's Obedient, STarHawk's Vincent Van Pup 3992 or Geoffrey's Carolina. You can use PAE/non-PAE 32bit distros on your PC and you should never experience any hardship

Any of these should provide excellent service on your PC.
BTW, I ONLY run Live CD/DVD saving sessions back to CD/DVD without the need to modify the current system's HDD getting great system behavior..

Hope this helps

pablito

#5 Post by pablito »

Here is the capture of the #free
Let me know your opinion, thanks
Attachments
capture7334.jpg
(26.06 KiB) Downloaded 2099 times

OscarTalks

#6 Post by OscarTalks »

Pablito,

Your hardware should be good enough for any Puppy to run fast. You don't need to use Retro Precise but you can if you want. It won't really make much difference I don't think.

I know that my Chrome and Chromium packages work. You should be able to just boot the Live CD to test them. If your Opera is very slow and my packages don't work then I think something has got messed up with your system so I suggest you try starting a fresh one. I don't know if you did a full or a frugal install. Frugals are very easy because you can just create a new save-file and if you find it works better you can just delete the old one. Be careful not to install lots of packages via PPM until you are sure that the basic system is all running properly.
Oscar in England

pablito

Will try a fresh new install

#7 Post by pablito »

I guess one thing is theory & the other is the practical. I did installed fully to an empty hard drive, formatting it the way it should. I followed someone doing it in youtube. everything went ok. but the opera is very slow going.
Don't ask me why they not really working the other browsers,
I'm thinking tomorrow to change the hard drive (I have another one) & start all over again, boot from CD. But this time not the retro one.
You mentioned that it doesn't make any difference? I'm new at this linux, so I don't really know. I guess trying I will learn. I think I already mentioned that I have installed quite a few times different versions of puppy, because there is always something not working.
By now I know how to fix those problems. Its a blessing this forum, many are helping & I'm learning.
I guess tomorrow I will try again & see if it works or not.

wboz

Re: Will try a fresh new install

#8 Post by wboz »

Pablito, I am not using Precise currently, but I did earlier run into an issue when trying to uninstall an earlier version of Chrome and then install a new one. I did not "figure it out" but instead started with a new Puppy install.

This is obviously not an ideal solution, but I am still sufficiently on the Linux Beginner's curve that I didn't feel I could track down the real issue within a reasonable timeframe.

The other nice "feature" of Chrome is its ever-expanding cache. Not only does this fill your save file with a massive data set that has to be loaded into RAM with each boot, it also means that less RAM is left over for use. (In a normal OS the cache is on a nice big hard drive so it's not a big issue). Try clearing your cache, then saving (with an empty cache) and rebooting. I don't think this is your issue but it would be good to eliminate as a possibility.

pablito

How to clean the cache?

#9 Post by pablito »

Hi Wboz
I believe that I have all set up to save in the hard drive & not in the RAM, but how can I know? How do I clear the cache?
When I had the puppy 528, Chrome was working just fine, not a problem, I did set it up through windows in an exe file. But I deleted windows & then installed precise 5.7.8 I believe & my laptop kept freezing all the time so I installed the current one & only Opera working like a snail.
I will install again tomorrow precise 7.1 but not the retro one & will see if it works, otherwise I may go back to puppy 528 or something similar.
Do you think is a good idea?

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

I suggest you try Slacko 5.6.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

pablito

Need more info about Slacko

#11 Post by pablito »

Hi Bigpup
So far I tried Puppy & I'm comfortable with the .pet, somehow to me is like .exe in windows.
I know that Linux & all its family (there are way to many of them) works in some kind of codes that you write in the console & things similar.
To me this is at the moment as Chinese, Don't know where to install files & similar things. Unless you or someone else explains to me quite detailed this kind of system.
I think I will be lost & will need more help to do anything.
So far I'm very thankful that many of you are ready to help to any question I post.
I will install precise again (no retro this time) & see if things can work or not. Then if not maybe I venture to Slacko
But I appreciate if you or anyone else, can explain to me a bit more about Slacko. (Is it like puppy?)
Thank you so much!

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

With 36 posts, I assumed you had the basics of Puppy versions.

Slacko 5.6 is another version of Puppy.
It was developed about the same time as Precise, but has been more bug tested.

You can get it here:
http://slacko.01micko.com/

In Slacko:
I installed Chromium through the Puppy Package Manager, from the Puppy-Slacko 14 repository, and it works.
YaPI(any iso installer)

pablito

My system freezes!

#13 Post by pablito »

Hi everyone,
I installed slacko 5.6 PAE, looks nice actually.
I also installed Chrome, working fine, yet, I still do have a problem, it freezes, I can work with some things, no problem, copying things from usb to hard drive, etc. but when I'm with my web browser, it freezes. it happens the same with other puppy systems I installed.
Right now I'm using another computer as I cannot use my laptop, after a few minutes with the browser open, it will freeze & I have to unplug the wire to turn off (battery is not working)
I remember that with windows was not problem, once I added more memory, like 2GB & started appearing a blue screen often, so I remove the 1GB for 250MB, then no problem.
Right now I have again 2GB. will change this after I finish writing this, maybe this is the problem. Maybe not.
Any suggestions?

OscarTalks

#14 Post by OscarTalks »

pablito,
Not sure I understand. Are you running with 2GB or 250MB of RAM?
If you have 250MB of RAM this is enough to run Puppy but NOT if you try to run a modern browser. It will freeze or crash.
If you are saying that you are going to install the 2GB then this should fix the problem.
You should also consider making a swap partition (or swap file) if you have not done so already, but swap will always run slower than real RAM.
Oscar in England

pablito

#15 Post by pablito »

I had 2GB Ram, now I took 1GB out & seems to run better surfing the web, I could do a few things more, yet, when I clicked on Facebook it froze.
After rebooting I went back & opened my email, saw your reply & then it froze again.
I'm writing in another windows computer.
I believe the problem is only in my web browser, haven't try skype, because the one I installed didn't work. I will download another one & try again.
I'm attaching a photo after it reboots, it mention some things, maybe it helps. I don't understand.

Latest.

I installed back Puppy Lucid 528 & everything is working just fine, no more problems. This system runs good on my laptop.
Why the other ones are not working well? Well I don't understand, even though I liked the Slacko icons very much & not so much the Puppy Lucid ones.
Here ends my problems... I prayed!
Thanks for all your help everyone!
Attachments
2013-12-07 06.28.01.jpg
(80.16 KiB) Downloaded 2002 times

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

If you start taking ram out and putting ram in and you have different results.
You get into things like:
What slot the ram stick is in?
Could have a bad stick of ram?
Could have bad connection to ram stick?
Could have ram sticks in wrong order of slot install?
Is ram running in duel channel or single channel?
Duel channel requires match set of 2 ram sticks.
Is all the ram the same kind?
etc....
-
YaPI(any iso installer)

pablito

Puppy Lucid 528 is working fine!

#17 Post by pablito »

Thanks for the info about the Ram.
Right now I have only 1GB, that means one slot taken & one empty. I do have many memory Ram pieces, but I don't know if I need to put more. At the moment my laptop work well with Puppy Lucid 528, the other versions are the ones causing me problem, but not this one!
I will keep it this way. Thank you for all the help!