Peasy Firewall Monitor

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
rcrsn51

#61 Post by rcrsn51 »

slavvo67 wrote:Will you continue to provide updates on the 64 bit version?
Yes, but I'm not expecting any. The current version does everything it needs to do, and I'm not planning to add any cute new features.

Thanks for all your help.

rcrsn51

#62 Post by rcrsn51 »

Still v1.9 but with some code cleanup. Avoids some potential timing problems.

rcrsn51

#63 Post by rcrsn51 »

For users who are afraid that their firewall might somehow spontaneously turn itself off, and really want a tray icon to inform them when it happens, and are willing to sacrifice the extra CPU cycles to run it, here is "a two-state solution". Install the attached PET.
Attachments
peasyfwmon_2state_tray-1.0.pet
(5.05 KiB) Downloaded 609 times

keniv

#64 Post by keniv »

I am using the latest v1.9 in the latest version of lucid 5282s2. Just tried the tray icon pet but it does not seem to alter it in any way. Am I missing something?

Ken.

rcrsn51

#65 Post by rcrsn51 »

The only Lupu I have is lupu-5.2.8.7-20150702 and it works there. If you temporarily switch the firewall on/off, you should see the icon change from full-height to half-height.

keniv

#66 Post by keniv »

I was missing something. I did not think to turn the firewall off to test. Now working in lucid 5287s2, wary551 and racy55.
Thanks for the help.

Ken.

rcrsn51

#67 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. Were you maybe expecting something like a red/green icon?

Consider this: how does a red/green icon appear to someone who is colour-blind?

keniv

#68 Post by keniv »

@rcrsn51
Were you maybe expecting something like a red/green icon?
Yes, or something like it but I take your point.

Ken.

slavvo67

#69 Post by slavvo67 »

Still using the older 1.9 version for 64 bit.

I noticed 2 items and before you say impossible.... something wasn't quite right ... I just can't pinpoint it....see #2:

1. An easy one... The 1.9 version - when you set up the initial firewall with PFM, it then closes out and doesn't go back to your menu. Not the end of the world -- just a note in case you wish to fix.

2. When running the default firewall first (Linux-Firewall), I had chose to install PWM firewall, on top of it. Of course, that was a mistake as I didn't recall the firewall already being installed but seems that 2nd install blocked me from getting out on the web. I had to uninstall and reinstall either firewall and I was ok, again.

Still love the application. I'm just not sure how/why #2 is happening.

rcrsn51

#70 Post by rcrsn51 »

slavvo67 wrote:1. An easy one... The 1.9 version - when you set up the initial firewall with PFM, it then closes out and doesn't go back to your menu. Not the end of the world -- just a note in case you wish to fix.
That is already fixed in the latest v1.9 posted now.
2. When running the default firewall first (Linux-Firewall), I had chose to install PWM firewall, on top of it. Of course, that was a mistake as I didn't recall the firewall already being installed but seems that 2nd install blocked me from getting out on the web. I had to uninstall and reinstall either firewall and I was ok, again.
I don't have a copy of Quirky Xerus, so I don't know what kind of default firewall it is running. It may be starting its firewall differently from regular Puppies. But I am surprised that it is blocking Internet. I will check this out.

slavvo67

#71 Post by slavvo67 »

See attached
Attachments
capture4668.png
(106.71 KiB) Downloaded 559 times

rcrsn51

#72 Post by rcrsn51 »

The Linux Firewall Configuration Utility in "automagic mode" generates EXACTLY the same firewall script (/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall) as used by PFM.

The current PFM PET has a post-install script that will kill any active firewall. So the first run of PFM gets you a clean start.

Precise has the same default firewall setup as Quirky Xerus. I will run some tests on it.

rcrsn51

#73 Post by rcrsn51 »

1. I set up Precise 571.
2. I ran the Linux Firewall Configuration Utility in automagic mode. This started a firewall.
3. I installed the peasyfwmon-1.9.pet. Its post-install script shut down the current firewall and deleted the file /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall.
4. I ran PFM from the Network menu. This installed and launched a new firewall - ie. a new version of /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall.
5. I checked WiFi access. There were no problems.

So I cannot replicate your situation.

rcrsn51

#74 Post by rcrsn51 »

PFM v2.0 posted above. Some changes to how it removes old firewalls.

slavvo67

#75 Post by slavvo67 »

rcrsn51:

Thanks for your continued work on what I'm starting to feel is a must have; at least adding it to my version of WoofQ.

I'll continue to test and truly appreciate what you're doing here.

Slavvo67

belham2

#76 Post by belham2 »

Hi rcrsn51,

I am trying to get Peasy Firewall Monitor to work in Barry's latest Quirky 8.1.94 (since it doesn't have a firewall with a tray icon). I installed the .pet from the 1st page of this thread. It seemed to install fine, and it seems to run fine from the Menu. But when I tick the choice of "Install the tray applet" when PFM is open, it won't be applied & nothing happens.

I also even tried this in the .jwmrc-tray file, hoping it would help the peasy icon to appear:

Code: Select all

<JWM>
	<Tray  autohide="false" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" height="28" >
		<!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
		<TrayButton label="Menu" icon="mini-dog.xpm">root:3</TrayButton>
	<!--	<TrayButton popup="Run commandline" icon="gexec.xpm">exec:gexec</TrayButton> -->
	<!--	<TrayButton popup="Free space in drives" icon="mini-hdisk.xpm">exec:partview</TrayButton> -->
		<TrayButton popup="Rox" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/rox.png" border="false">exec:rox</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="Urxvt" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/terminal.svg" border="false">exec:urxvt</TrayButton>
		<TrayButton popup="Conky" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/conky.png" border="false">exec:/usr/local/bin/conkytoggle.sh</TrayButton>		
		<TrayButton popup="Seamonkey" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/seamonkey.svg" border="false">exec:/usr/lib/seamonkey-2.48/seamonkey</TrayButton>
	<!--	<TrayButton popup="Run commandline" icon="gexec.xpm">exec:gexec</TrayButton> -->
	<!--	<TrayButton popup="Free space in drives" icon="mini-hdisk.xpm">exec:partview</TrayButton> -->
		<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
		<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
		<TaskList/>
		<Dock/>
		<!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->
	<!--	<Swallow name="blinky">
			blinkydelayed -bg "#DCDAD5"
		</Swallow> -->
	<!--	<Swallow name="xtmix-launcher">
			xtmix -launch
		</Swallow> -->
	<!--	<Swallow name="asapm">
			asapmshell -u 4
		</Swallow> -->
	<!--	<Swallow name="freememapplet" width="34">
			freememappletshell
		</Swallow> -->
	[b]<!--	<Swallow name="Peasy Firewall Monitor" width="34">
			peasyfwmon[/b]
		</Swallow> -->		
		<Swallow name="xload" width="32">
			xload -nolabel -bg "#888888" -fg red -hl white
		</Swallow>
		<Clock format="%a %d %b %H:%M:%S %P">minixcal</Clock>
	</Tray>
</JWM>

The tray icon tries to load, as jwmrc-tray flashes and restarts, but alas the tray icon doesn't appear.

Is it possible to get the PFM tray icon in Barry's Quirkies?

If so, how should I go about it??

Thanks for any help and/or tips

[Update] Ok, I installed "firewallstatus" from phil's XenialPup64 (it was in /usr/bin) and now Barry's latest Quirky has a functioning tray firewall status indicator.

rcrsn51

#77 Post by rcrsn51 »

The PET on page 1 is 32bit. The 64bit version is on page 3. Which one did you need for Quirky 8.1.94?

belham2

#78 Post by belham2 »

rcrsn51 wrote:The PET on page 1 is 32bit. The 64bit version is on page 3. Which one did you need for Quirky 8.1.94?

Arrrrrgh...sorry, rsrcn51, for being an idiot. I blindly downloaded the 32-bit and then wondered like a fool why it wouldn't launch in Barry's 64-bit. So, just now downloaded the 64-bit version, and it fired right up in the tray.

Wish there was a way in the 1st msg of this overall thread that there could be both downloads: one for 32 bit and one for 64-bit, for idiot-proofing it for people like me who sometimes go too fast :oops:

rcrsn51

#79 Post by rcrsn51 »

belham2 wrote:Wish there was a way in the 1st msg of this overall thread that there could be both downloads: one for 32 bit and one for 64-bit, for idiot-proofing it for people like me who sometimes go too fast
I added a note to the Description field of the attachment box on page 1.

bigpup

#80 Post by bigpup »

Both versions 32 and 64 are small in size.

You should be able to put both of them in the first post.

As long as something is no bigger than 256K, the forum should allow it to be attached to a post.

I am not sure how many attachments the forum will allow as long as none of them is bigger than 256K.
I have attached 5 or 6 items to a post. None was bigger than 60K. Not sure if they cannot total more than 256K.
But again, your 3 pets should have no problem being attached to the same post.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)