mouse freezing

Booting, installing, newbie
leeper69

mouse freezing

#1 Post by leeper69 »

Hi I am having problems with my mouse freezing up it happens quite frequently.Has anyone else had this happen? can you help?
I am using puppy on a old p3 866 with ati mobil 128 video and 256 MB of RAM.

ardvark

Re: mouse freezing

#2 Post by ardvark »

leeper69 wrote:Hi I am having problems with my mouse freezing up it happens quite frequently.Has anyone else had this happen? can you help?
I am using puppy on a old p3 866 with ati mobil 128 video.
Hi...

Could be a few different things going on here. Does Puppy still work just using the keyboard or does the entire OS lock up?

Also, am I correct in guessing this is a laptop? What is the brand and model number and, last but not least, could you open a terminal and post the results of:

Code: Select all

lspci
Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

Sounds like lack of memory/swap.
More info on that aspect please.
Mike

leeper69

#4 Post by leeper69 »

thanks mikeb and ardvark for answering my post
it is a sager model number 8500v and the system is pegd but running in both memory and cpu.

ardvark

#5 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

First thing to try is to use another mouse (that is known to work) and see if the problem is duplicated using it.

Also, as MikeB has indicated, how much memory does your system have and how large is your swap file? You might want to test the memory using a copy of memtest86. :)

Regards...

leeper69

mouse freezing up

#6 Post by leeper69 »

Hi ardvark I only have 256 MB of system memory and 512 MB catch on the hard drive.
this is a old laptop I tried hooking up the mouse from my other computer and had the same thing happen with it. thanks for trying to help!

ardvark

Re: mouse freezing up

#7 Post by ardvark »

leeper69 wrote:Hi ardvark I only have 256 MB of system memory and 512 MB catch on the hard drive.
this is a old laptop I tried hooking up the mouse from my other computer and had the same thing happen with it. thanks for trying to help!
Hi...

Ok, so the problem is with the system, not the mouse. Is this a PS/2 mouse or a USB one? Also, can you open Gparted and tell me the size of the Linux swap partition. The cache size you mentioned might be different.

Again, can I also get the results of lspci and memtest86. This might take a while as I have no idea at this point if this is software or hardware issue.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Which puppy...the newer ones plus latest software need considerably more ram.

Also noticed its ATI mobile... definitely an awkward one when it comes to drivers... they usually have a choice between software and hardware mouse cursor if one misbehaves so may not be a ram issue at all ... in /etc/X11/xorg.conf there is usually a commented out option for this.

mike

leeper69

mouse freezing

#9 Post by leeper69 »

HI and thanks for the help!
the ati Mobil graphics card is a very hard driver to find in newer kernels
but puppy 5.7 works like a well oiled machine.
Thanks again!

ardvark

Re: mouse freezing

#10 Post by ardvark »

leeper69 wrote:but puppy 5.7 works like a well oiled machine.
Thanks again!
So the problem is solved? :?:

Regards...