Seamonkey using save file capacity

Booting, installing, newbie
Mercedes350se

Seamonkey using save file capacity

#1 Post by Mercedes350se »

I have noticed that the available save file capacity is slowly decreasing at a 1MB rate every couple of days.

I noticed Bruce B's comment, "SeaMonkey logs all URLs to a binary file in cache. Part of the delete or rebooting process is converting all the URLs to text file for review. Purpose is to keep my web surfing clean, by using the information in the URLs for filtering. '

Is this what is happening?

Why is it necessary?

Can it be prevented and what bad effect(s), if any, would result?
Last edited by Mercedes350se on Sat 14 Dec 2013, 07:17, edited 2 times in total.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

I set all my browsers cache size to 0MB and have done for years ever since not having dial up...its fine and simple and saves all this messing about.

Bruce may be talking about urlclassifier which also makes big files...'block reported attack sites/forgeries'...I delete and disable...hardly a concern when there is no internet explorer or other windows holes around....most a bad site does is crash the browser or sneak up a window.

mike

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Setting the cache to 0 is a good trick. Also, SeaMonkey makes it easy to tell it where to put its cache (Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Cache -> Choose Folder). I tell it to put the cache in /tmp, so the contents of the cache are not saved when Puppy shuts down.

Firefox is not so user-friendly, which is why I prefer SeaMonkey.

majorfoo

#4 Post by majorfoo »

Flash wrote:
Firefox is not so user-friendly, which is why I prefer SeaMonkey.
I also prefer Seamonkey over other browsers. Especially the latest Privacy settings i.e. the features under Edit, Preferences Privacy and Security
I do Not Want To Be Tracked and under the heading of
Privacy and Security, the sub heading Private Data features shown. I check them all.
Not sure if all of them work as presented but seems more secure than some other browsers

Dewbie

#5 Post by Dewbie »

Mercedes, If your Puppy has a hidden .thumbnails directory in root, delete the contents.

Also, try the pfix=fsck boot option.
Here's something for 3.01, which I know you often use. :)

Mercedes350se

#6 Post by Mercedes350se »

mikeb wrote:I set all my browsers cache size to 0MB and have done for years

Bruce may be talking about urlclassifier

mike
I always set cache size to 0MB.

I should have stated that I am using seamonkey 2.22 in 4.1.2

Regarding urlclassifier - that was the reason for my question about installing iceweasel. Tails, which uses iceweasel does not have it. However I have since found that seamonkey 2.22 works in 4.1.2 so ...
Dewbie wrote:Mercedes, If your Puppy has a hidden .thumbnails directory in root, delete the contents.

No hidden .thumbnails directory.

What does the pfix=fsck boot option do - I take it to mean file system check

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

Mercedes350se wrote:
mikeb wrote:I set all my browsers cache size to 0MB and have done for years

Bruce may be talking about urlclassifier

mike
I always set cache size to 0MB.

I should have stated that I am using seamonkey 2.22 in 4.1.2

Regarding urlclassifier - that was the reason for my question about installing iceweasel. Tails, which uses iceweasel does not have it. However I have since found that seamonkey 2.22 works in 4.1.2 so ...
Dewbie wrote:Mercedes, If your Puppy has a hidden .thumbnails directory in root, delete the contents.

No hidden .thumbnails directory.

Change the location of the cache folder to mnt/home. Just as as a side-note: Opera Browser is very accurate when it comes to handling the cache. Set it at a certain size and it will stay there, there is also a setting where the browser will automatically empty the cache when exiting.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

As mentioned urlclassifier can be disabled and any generated files deleted... they return and stay at a few kB.

Opera...yes they have kept their profile habits tidy. :)

mike

Mercedes350se

#9 Post by Mercedes350se »

Mercedes350se wrote:I always set cache size to 0MB.
Looking at the /root/.cache location reveals that it is, in fact, 18MB. Note that "clear cache" does not appear to actually clear the cache.

I have followed Flash's suggestion and placed it in /tmp. I deleted the .cache directory and the save file capacity increased by about 15MB - where is the other 3MB?

EDIT: Close down and restart seamonkey and there it is.

Thank you for the pointers.

I will not mark this as solved for a few days to see what seamonkey actually does.

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

Mercedes350se wrote:
Mercedes350se wrote:I always set cache size to 0MB.
Looking at the /root/.cache location reveals that it is, in fact, 18MB. Note that "clear cache" does not appear to actually clear the cache.

I have followed Flash's suggestion and placed it in /tmp. I deleted the .cache directory and the save file capacity increased by about 15MB - where is the other 3MB?

EDIT: Close down and restart seamonkey and there it is.

Thank you for the pointers.

I will not mark this as solved for a few days to see what seamonkey actually does.
Cache is not the only thing it saves as mentioned above. If you don't want to save anything at all, the best will be to move the .mozilla folder (I assume the cache is in there) to /tmp and then symlink it back to the original location. I would do that but instead of to /tmp, I will move it to mnt/home. In this case you will keep the cache and all browser settings but it will not be saved in the save file.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Looking at the /root/.cache location reveals that it is, in fact, 18MB.
unless its changed that is a cache location for other apps not the browsers.
Even if a browser was using it other apps definately do to... it may or may not have other effects if its deleted. On here xfce4 is using it for its session store. So just be sure of what is in there.

mike

Dewbie

#12 Post by Dewbie »

Mercedes350se wrote:
Yes, that is correct.

Mercedes350se

#13 Post by Mercedes350se »

Followed nic007's suggestion and moved /root/.cache to /mnt/home/.cache and symlinked it back to the original location..

So far all seems good.

Thank you.

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=15

look endless discussion on the subject.... and someone made a nice screenshot for urlclassifier..I never think to do that.

Moving the cache is not the most portable of solutions I find...using /mnt/home became to messy for me in the end and what of usb stick jobbies...but I do use it for thunderbird profile as then I can use it on windows too.

Cache is needed IF you are on dial up or serverly limited bandwidth so if it is enabled don't be using somewhere like /tmp.

One for the paranoid...have a script to delete /initrd/pup_rw/root/.mozilla... and/or /initrd/pup_rw/root/.cache/whatever at shutdown in the delete /tmp section.... (or for usb edit snapmergepuppy)
Crap if you want to use bookmarks but a pristine profile every time and no save space used.

mike

Mercedes350se

#15 Post by Mercedes350se »

I spoke too soon ...
mikeb wrote:Cache is needed IF you are on dial up or serverly limited bandwidth so if it is enabled
How to completely and permanently disable it?

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Browser preferences

advanced, network, offline ... uncheck and clear.... but thats on mine ...it may have moved. I set to 0MB...ram cache handles you current session. You might find leftovers which can be deleted after closing it...they should not reappear.

mike

Mercedes350se

#17 Post by Mercedes350se »

mikeb, Not the same in 2.22.

However a 'net search turned up:

about:config>search "cache">scroll down to network.http.use-cache>double click to change to "false"

It seems to work although I have said that before ..

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

Ah so now its hidden like other browsers. Wonder why devs feel the need to stop us users making changes... are we considered too stupid or something? Going from 1.5 to 3.5/6 I noticed more things hidden away and form filling no longer worked well....progress eh :D

Well hopefully it will work and we have info for anyone else with recent firefox.

Its a general winge amongst system admins about the size of the profiles .... such as educational and corporate systems often have quite small user profile allocations...one I was at was 20MB.... all was peachy until software like this started growing exponentially.

mike

nic007

#19 Post by nic007 »

Mercedes350se wrote:I spoke too soon ...
mikeb wrote:Cache is needed IF you are on dial up or serverly limited bandwidth so if it is enabled
How to completely and permanently disable it?
Is the cache part of the . Mozilla folder? You need to move the whole folder seamonkey/mozilla not only the cache to have the desired effect. Why don't use Opera instead. Much better imho

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

Newer mozilla seems to be using /root/.cache rather than its profile folder.

Yes I noticed opera has not adopted the mozilla bloated approach to its profiles. I guess those who wrote the early firefox are not necessarily the ones who are contributing now..I mean its a project spanning over a decade...people change and move on.
Only problem I find is the lack of rich text editing..at least in the version I have tried and we do have need for that. Otherwise it's solid and straightforward.

mike