DebianDog - Squeeze

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

#136 Post by saintless »

Edit:08.08.2014 a bit later: Use old Skype version after 01.08.2014

Edit: 08.14.2014 - Does not work from today. No need to download the modules. I will remove them from the site soon.

Edit: Replaced with a little modified version which works in DebianDog Wheezy and Squeeze.

Uploaded 039-debiandog-skype4.0.0.8-skype2.2.squashfs sfs with skype 4.0.0.8 and skype 2.2.0.35 (53Mb)...

Toni

saintless

#137 Post by saintless »

Uploaded new iso with some fixes and newer versions of some programs:

Fixed:
1. Desktop File Editor.
2. New initrd1.xz with systemd boot parameter option.
3. mk-save.gtkdlg + mkpfile.sh now can create up to 20Gb save file for porteus-boot. The old are limited to 2Gb.
4. Flashplayer Choice with changed download location.
5. Some special cleaning inside /var/run and /var/tmp needed for Squeeze version in RemasterCow and RemasterDog.

New added:
1. cowsave script to auto-create proper /live/cow and /live/image links for live-boot-3x
2. mount-wizard.
3. drive-get, smokey-get, GoogleDrive-get - scripts for downloading DebianDog files.

Updated versions:
1. Precord
2. Pavrecord
3. DoMyFile
4. DoMyCommand.
5. apt2sfs

saintless

#138 Post by saintless »

New DebianDog-Squeeze-Jwm-Icewm.iso uploaded.

Changes from previous version (mostly latest Wheezy changes - Wheezy both versions will be updated also in the next few days):

1. Compression method changed from xz to gzip for the main module, all available for download squashfs modules and all module creating scripts. Iso size is now 173Mb (or 40Mb bigger just because of compression method change but works well and fast on very old hardware - P-III 600Mhz and 128Mb RAM + 500Mb swap file). It is Debian old-stable system and old program versions and I doubt anyone will use it on modern hardware but in such case it could be easy changed from the user again to maximum xz compressed system.
2. Make Save File - default label option changed to show empty label.
3. New much improved mount-wizard from Sfs and Fred. Old mount wizard available as separate deb package for download and can be installed together with the new one.
4. Frisbee - patched for bash upgrade
5. move-in-crypt - manage encrypted save file utility
6. Auto-fix dependencies after installing deb package script with GUI and right click file(s)/directory option for Rox and XFE.
7. Changes for ffconvert and probepart as separate packages.
8. Improved ffmpeg2sfs.
9. improved mountlink (for porteus boot).
10. New gtkdialog-splash version.
11. Added pppoe and pppoeconf.
12. Improved /opt/bin/mnt-backing script.
13. Custom compiled pup-volume-monitor (the previous one was not working for porteus-boot with encrypted save file. Now works).
14. Uploaded DEVX squashfs module for download.
15. Rox-filer changed to version 2.11

saintless

#139 Post by saintless »

New DebianDog-Squeeze uploaded here.
Almost all updates from Wheezy version added.

Changes:
1. edit-sfs
2. Security fixes for wget and bash. For old iso version both available for download bash_4.1-3+deb6u2_i386-security-fix-debian-lts.deb, wget_1.12-2.2_i386.deb
3. Small configuration changes for mtpaint and jwm-theme-change in Jwm version.
4. Added LTS Squeeze repository. You can upgrade the system from time to time to get the latest official fixes.
5. RemasterCow with deleted (whiteout) files record option.
6. Replace mnt-img with filemnt in Jwm version with this configuration.
7. apt2sfs - added np-dpkg-registration by default (makes possible to update dpkg status with the included programs) and checking for dpkg errors (like not enough free space to extract packages).
8. loadmodule + initrd1.img - moded to support whiteout (deleted) files by default and replacing initrd1.img in separate kerenel modules + replacing initrd1.xz with systemd boot option.
9. Improved portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse.deb. More information here.
10. Reinstall all packages converted from Puppy with moded version to prevent later conflicts with official deb packages and edit all packages on the site (included, extra, testing...). Especially frisbee and sns.
11. Replace included zenity-portable with deb package conflicting with later installed zenity versions. Why we need this change read here.
12. apt-get upgrade
13. apt-get install libc6-i686
14. Fixed /opt/bin/loadsfs with desktop icon for drag and drop.
15. Install parcellite with startup links in $HOME/Startup
16. Power button to shutdown computer and PrintScreen starting scrotdlg.
17. Include testing chrootin script in /opt/bin/special useful for full install.
18. Install new gsu and add group wheel and menu entry for activate/deactivate password prompt on shutdown for user account.
19. Yad-spalsh message - add in /usr/local/bin fo use with yad scripts in the future instead gtkdialog-splash. Download deb package here.
20. Remove cow-nosave, cow-save-part and cow-save-file from /opt/bin. The scripts are replaced from cowsave.
21. Flashplayerchoice, change-netmanager and some other scripts need fixing to work with new yad-gsu.
22. New gsu deb package with 3 different gsu scripts + debdognew.zip to extract in /opt/docs. Installing gsu will search for this file and use the correct gsu for older DD versions. This is compatibility solution for some scripts in old DD versions. New DebianDog packages should work with any older or remastered DD version.
23. Script for checking free space in save file and popup warning for less than 30Mb This number can be changed easy from the user. The script goes in /root/Startup, /home/puppy/Startup and /ets/skel/Startup
24. New save2flash and snapmergepuppy scripts.
25. For Jwm version only - adding MJWM as third menu method. Reads files for each user account from $HOME/.local/share/applications + option to configure reading desktop files from any other directory.
26. Some more improvements from Fred for apt2sfs and ffmpeg2sfs.
27: Small fix for debdog frugall installers.
28. yad-splash and gtkdialog-splash permission change in /tmp for multiuser - added in gtkdialog and yad-splash deb packages for reinstalling.
29. Fixes for full installer.
30. changes in some xterm depending scripts here, here.
31. Remove obshutdown and move 021-apps-porteus content in main 01-filesystem.squashfs module.
32. New gsu scripts to export /opt/lib and /usr/local/lib using sudo. - gsu deb package includes the new scripts. This is needed for portablesfs script but Fred is also modding portablesfs for better multiuser support - read here.
33. apt-get install deb-multimedia-keyring
34. apt-get install unionfs-fuse - needed for new portablesfs chroot option.
35. portablesfs-loadsfs-fuse deb package + right click options for rox, xfe, thunar loadsfs-fuse for DD full install

All available Squeeze squashfs modules work with the latest iso version.

sketchman

#140 Post by sketchman »

BIG thanks for this. Just what I've been looking for.
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

saintless

#141 Post by saintless »

Hi, Sketchman.
Nice to see I'm not the only one still using old-stable Squeeze :)
Just for information you may get some problems installing compiling tools with apt-get or Synaptic with DebianDog-Squeeze because of some upgraded libs from Wheezy version.
To compile programs use the DEVX file from here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... m-Modules/
Or just install and use aptitude after update:

Code: Select all

apt-get install aptitude
aptitude update
aptitude install package-name
It will give you the option to downgrade what is needed to install compiling tools keeping the system in shape.

Toni

dancytron

#142 Post by dancytron »

Just wanted to note that I installed this on my old military (actually probably police) surplus IX-250 Itronix Gobook.

Celeron 800 (P-III) processor, 512 meg of RAM. Original operating system is Windows 2000.

Touchpad worked otb. Touchscreen does not work properly, but I don't use it so it doesn't matter.

Got graphics acceleration working by installing standard mesa files. Don't have in front of me exactly what they were, but will look them up if anyone needs to know.

Sound did not work otb, because proprietary driver (Maestro 3 from ESS) not available. Loaded the porteus driver squashfs file from earlier wheezy Debian Dog development and that fixed it. (this might have also helped with the graphics, not sure). Will try later to see if maybe I can copy over just individual driver.

Of all the Puppies and Debian Dog Wheezy I've tried on this laptop, this performs the best. Browser is useable. It plays SD type videos pretty close to flawlessly, which I don't think it has done with any other OS.

As usual, great job.

Dan

saintless

#143 Post by saintless »

Thanks Dan.

I use dd-squeeze as my main system and I agree the browser is still usable.
I guess you downloaded libgl1-mesa-dri and the porteus drivers are in 031-firmware-porteus.squashfs from here:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/System-modules/
Maybe I will update this iso one more time in the future with some fixes in the special utilities from Wheezy and Jessie.

Toni

Ether

#144 Post by Ether »

Just a short post to report a success story with DD Squeeze.

I was just given a 15-year-old Dell Latitude CPx laptop with a completely dead battery, a 600MHz CPU, and 385MB RAM.

I wanted to see if I could keep this thing out of the landfill by using it as a short-term loaner for web access for people who bring their Windoze PCs to me for repair.

I tried Lucid Puppy but it didn't have the drivers for the ethernet card.

I tried DD Jessie but it didn't have the drivers for the display.

I tried Wary Puppy and it "worked" but used so much memory that the browser was unusably slow. That, plus I couldn't get the browser to stop popping up dozens of "certificate" error windows (caused by the system clock being wrong because of the dead battery).

Then I tried DD Squeeze. It booted up and connected to the internet automatically and instantly . Iceweasel didn't complain about the system date error, and displayed web pages about as well as one could expect with 385MB RAM and a 600MHz CPU. Once loaded, web pages scrolled smoothly.

Nice work, Toni !

Last edited by Ether on Sat 29 Aug 2015, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

saintless

#145 Post by saintless »

Nice to read the Squeeze version works well for others.

New iso uploaded and first post information updated.
DebianDog-Squeeze-hybrid-29.08.2015.iso - 157Mb.

The older iso is still available for download here.

Changes in the new version:

1. Updated yad and some special DD scripts with lates changes from Fred for Wheezy and Jessie.
2. Included menu-openbox from Fred with localisation support (the default menu displays categories and menu entries only in English). In case you like to change the localisation type menu-openbox in terminal or start it from System -> Menu Openbox.
3. Added DebianDog-Squeeze repository in sources list as in Wheezy/Jessie. New packages and fixes will be provided with apt-get/synaptic.
4. The included packages upgraded to the latest versions.
5. The iso changed to hybrid as DebianDog-Jessie and MintPup.
6. Added fixes from William in initrd1.xz and some scripts for sd-card install (I can't test sd-card install but it should work).
7. Some upgraded libs from Wheezy changed with Squeeze versions which made possible to remove some dev packages not needed for regular use and the iso size is smaller now. This also fixed the problem mentioned in this post.
8. Some small and not important configuration changes for Icewm menu setup and other scripts.
9. Added Dillo as alternative web browser for very old computers (dillo is not available in official squeeze repository).
10. Special portable DebDog-Squeeze-installer (without systemd boot menu entries) available for download here and how to use instruction.
11. Included clearRAM script in case you have very old machine (128 - 256Mb RAM).
Run it in terminal from time to time and the system will work faster. For example this is the result running the script after fresh boot without starting any applications (256Mb RAM computer):

clearRAM 
This script will clear cached memory and free up your ram.

At the moment you have 110 MiB cached and 34 MiB free memory.
This freed 128 MiB, so now you have 162 MiB of free RAM.
More tips from William read here.

I guess this is the last DD-Squeeze iso version. The main reason to update the iso is adding sd-card install support and special repository for installing fixed and updated packages with apt-get (synaptic).

Toni

saintless

Upgraded VirtualBox in squeeze-backports repository issue:

#146 Post by saintless »

In Squeeze backports repository virtualbox and virtualbox-dkms packages are upgraded to version 4.1.18 and loading vboxdrv module could fail at first:

puppy@debian:~$ sudo apt-get update
puppy@debian:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
puppy@debian:~$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-dkms
DKMS: install Completed.
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules.
Starting VirtualBox kernel modulesmodprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why ... failed!
 failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript virtualbox, action "restart" failed.
puppy@debian:~$
I guess it is because the upgraded virtualbox packages in squeeze-backports repo.
To fix this type in terminal " sudo depmod -a" and restart virtualbox init script:

puppy@debian:~$ sudo depmod -a
puppy@debian:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/virtualbox restart
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules.
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules.
puppy@debian:~$
How to install virtualbox post updated with this extra step required for DD-Squeeze.
07-virtualbox-light-squeeze.squashfs module works too (loading and typing start-virtualbox) but it is older version virtualbox-4.0.10.
In case someone needs newer version virtualbox-5.0.2 deb for Squeeze from here works also in DD-Squeeze:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... e_i386.deb

Toni

Ether

firmware-b43-installer fails on Squeeze

#147 Post by Ether »

Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop requires "firmware-b43-installer" package for wireless.

It installs (and works) flawlessly with both MintPup and DD Jessie.

But attempts to install it with DD Squeeze cause the error shown in the attached pic.

Attachments
IMG_4366-2.jpg
Synaptic error message when attempting to install package "firmware-b43-installer"
(243.47 KiB) Downloaded 407 times

saintless

Re: firmware-b43-installer fails on Squeeze

#148 Post by saintless »

Ether wrote:.Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop requires "firmware-b43-installer" package for wireless.
Hi Ether.

I don't have the same hardware but tested with both (last and previous DD-Squeeze iso) with Synaptic and installing firmare-b43-installer doesn't give errors:

Same with apt-get:

root@debian:~# apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  b43-fwcutter
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 21.3 kB of archives.
After this operation, 127 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib b43-fwcutter i386 1:013-2 [16.1 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib firmware-b43-installer all 4.150.10.5-4 [5218 B]
Fetched 21.3 kB in 5s (4084 B/s)            
Selecting previously deselected package b43-fwcutter.
(Reading database ... 29181 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking b43-fwcutter (from .../b43-fwcutter_1%3a013-2_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package firmware-b43-installer.
Unpacking firmware-b43-installer (from .../firmware-b43-installer_4.150.10.5-4_all.deb) ...
Setting up b43-fwcutter (1:013-2) ...
Setting up firmware-b43-installer (4.150.10.5-4) ...
--2015-09-05 08:19:52--  http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
Resolving mirror2.openwrt.org (mirror2.openwrt.org)... 46.4.11.11
Connecting to mirror2.openwrt.org (mirror2.openwrt.org)|46.4.11.11|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 3888794 (3.7M) [application/x-bzip2]
Saving to: `broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2'

100%[======================================>] 3,888,794   1.13M/s   in 3.3s    

2015-09-05 08:19:56 (1.13 MB/s) - `broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2' saved [3888794/3888794]

This file is recognised as:
  ID         :  FW13
  filename   :  wl_apsta_mimo.o
  version    :  410.2160
  MD5        :  cb8d70972b885b1f8883b943c0261a3c
Extracting b43/pcm5.fw
Extracting b43/ucode15.fw
Extracting b43/ucode14.fw
Extracting b43/ucode13.fw
Extracting b43/ucode11.fw
Extracting b43/ucode9.fw
Extracting b43/ucode5.fw
Extracting b43/lp0bsinitvals15.fw
Extracting b43/lp0initvals15.fw
Extracting b43/lp0bsinitvals14.fw
Extracting b43/lp0initvals14.fw
Extracting b43/a0g1bsinitvals13.fw
Extracting b43/a0g1initvals13.fw
Extracting b43/b0g0bsinitvals13.fw
Extracting b43/b0g0initvals13.fw
Extracting b43/lp0bsinitvals13.fw
Extracting b43/lp0initvals13.fw
Extracting b43/n0absinitvals11.fw
Extracting b43/n0bsinitvals11.fw
Extracting b43/n0initvals11.fw
Extracting b43/a0g1bsinitvals9.fw
Extracting b43/a0g0bsinitvals9.fw
Extracting b43/a0g1initvals9.fw
Extracting b43/a0g0initvals9.fw
Extracting b43/b0g0bsinitvals9.fw
Extracting b43/b0g0initvals9.fw
Extracting b43/a0g1bsinitvals5.fw
Extracting b43/a0g0bsinitvals5.fw
Extracting b43/a0g1initvals5.fw
Extracting b43/a0g0initvals5.fw
Extracting b43/b0g0bsinitvals5.fw
Extracting b43/b0g0initvals5.fw
root@debian:~# 
Try in terminal:

apt-get purge firmware-b43-installer
apt-get -f install
apt-get autoremove
And then try to install with apt-get:

apt-get update
apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
If it doesn't work boot fresh (with empty save file/folder or without persistent) and see if the error appears again.
And give some more information like any extra packages installed from you, any extra repositories added (with Synaptic or by editing /etc/apt/sources.list), is it the last iso version and I will try to reproduce the error and suggest some solution.

Edit: Reading the postinst script it does unsupported chips checking with "echo" command output and maybe fails for some reason. The code inside postinst script in Jessie package looks different.
Installing the firmware-b43-installer in terminal with apt-get instead with Synaptic should give more information about the problem you have.

Toni

Ether

#149 Post by Ether »

Try in terminal:

apt-get purge firmware-b43-installer
apt-get -f install
apt-get autoremove
OK, here's the result:

root@debian:~# apt-get purge firmware-b43-installer
Building dependency tree       
E: Unable to locate package firmware-b43-installer

root@debian:~# apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree       
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

root@debian:~# apt-get autoremove
Building dependency tree       
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
And then try to install with apt-get:

apt-get update
apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
OK, here's the result:

root@debian:~# apt-get update

[snip]

Fetched 8561 kB in 51s (167 kB/s)                                              

root@debian:~# apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
Building dependency tree       
The following extra packages will be installed:
  b43-fwcutter
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 21.3 kB of archives.
After this operation, 127 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib b43-fwcutter i386 1:013-2 [16.1 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/contrib firmware-b43-installer all 4.150.10.5-4 [5218 B]
Fetched 21.3 kB in 0s (46.9 kB/s)           
Selecting previously deselected package b43-fwcutter.
(Reading database ... 29181 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking b43-fwcutter (from .../b43-fwcutter_1%3a013-2_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package firmware-b43-installer.
Unpacking firmware-b43-installer (from .../firmware-b43-installer_4.150.10.5-4_all.deb) ...
Not supported low-power chip with PCI id 14e4:4315!
Aborting.
dpkg: error processing firmware-b43-installer (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
configured to not write apport reports
                                      Errors were encountered while processing:
 firmware-b43-installer
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
If it doesn't work boot fresh (with empty save file/folder or without persistent) and see if the error appears again.
The above was done with a fresh frugal install with the 29AUG2015 version of DD Squeeze:

root@debian:/mnt/live/mnt/sda1/live02/live# ls -la
total 159916
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root      4096 Sep  5 15:14 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root      4096 Sep  5 09:11 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 134123520 Aug 29 13:14 01-filesystem.squashfs
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root      4096 Sep  5 04:35 base
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   9942348 Aug 23 16:18 initrd.img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   9814832 Aug 23 16:18 initrd1.img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   7107708 Aug 23 16:18 initrd1.xz
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root      4096 Sep  5 04:35 modules
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root      4096 Sep  5 04:35 optional
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root      4096 Sep  5 04:35 rootcopy
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   2540880 Aug 23 16:18 vmlinuz1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root       437 May 26 14:45 wheezy-i486.sgn
root@debian:/mnt/live/mnt/sda1/live02/live# 

root@debian:/mnt/live/mnt/sda1/live02/live/base# ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep  5 04:35 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Sep  5 15:14 ..

root@debian:/mnt/live/mnt/sda1/live02/live/base# cd ../modules
root@debian:/mnt/live/mnt/sda1/live02/live/modules# ls -la
total 8

root@debian:/mnt/live/mnt/sda1/live02/live/modules# cd ../rootcopy
root@debian:/mnt/live/mnt/sda1/live02/live/rootcopy# ls -la
total 8

root@debian:/mnt/live/mnt/sda1/live02/live/rootcopy# cd ../optional
root@debian:/mnt/live/mnt/sda1/live02/live/optional# ls -la
total 8
root@debian:/mnt/live/mnt/sda1/live02/live/optional# 
Here is sources.list:

root@debian:/etc/apt# cat sources.list
deb http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog-Squeeze/Packages/ ./
#deb http://kazzascorner.com.au/saintless/DebianDog/DebianDog-Squeeze/Packages/ ./

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free
#deb ftp://ftp.deb-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free
deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze-lts main non-free contrib

#deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
#deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
#deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security squeeze/updates main

#deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib nonfree
#deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-backports main
#deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib non-free
#deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib nonfree
#deb http://debs.slavino.sk testing main non-free

### Example 2 for security updates with lts repo:
#deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
#deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
#deb http://http.debian.net/debian squeeze-lts main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian squeeze-lts main contrib non-free

# Example 2 for security updates with lts repo:
#deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
#deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main

#deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
#deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main

# squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
#deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
#deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main

# Other - Adding the lsb source for security updates
#deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ squeeze-lts main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian/ squeeze-lts main contrib non-free
root@debian:/etc/apt# 
And give some more information like any extra packages installed from you, any extra repositories added (with Synaptic or by editing /etc/apt/sources.list), is it the last iso version
No extra packages (fresh frugal install, see above). No repos added (see above sources.list). ISO version DD Squeeze 29Aug2015.

Thank you.

saintless

#150 Post by saintless »

Ether wrote:.....
Not supported low-power chip with PCI id 14e4:4315!
Aborting.
This message explains why you can't install the package - not supported low power chip.
I'm not sure if the wifi will work with b43 firmware from squeeze repository but you can test this:

apt-get install b43-fwcutter
Reading the message "Setting up b43-fwcutter (1:013-2) ..." you should be able to install it as I can if you skip installing firmware-b43-installer.
Then extract the attached archive in /opt/bin (or /usr/bin).
Open terminal and type firmware-b43.sh. This is the same postins script from firmware-b43-installer deb package but with all checking code removed.
It just downloads the firmware archive and using b43-fwcutter builds firmware files in /lib/firmware/b43 directory:

root@debian:~# firmware-b43.sh
--2015-09-05 17:21:44--  http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
Resolving mirror2.openwrt.org (mirror2.openwrt.org)... 46.4.11.11
Connecting to mirror2.openwrt.org (mirror2.openwrt.org)|46.4.11.11|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 3888794 (3.7M) [application/x-bzip2]
Saving to: `broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2'

100%[======================================>] 3,888,794   1.05M/s   in 3.7s    

2015-09-05 17:21:47 (1.00 MB/s) - `broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2' saved [3888794/3888794]

This file is recognised as:
  ID         :  FW13
  filename   :  wl_apsta_mimo.o
  version    :  410.2160
  MD5        :  cb8d70972b885b1f8883b943c0261a3c
Extracting b43/pcm5.fw
Extracting b43/ucode15.fw
Extracting b43/ucode14.fw
Extracting b43/ucode13.fw
Extracting b43/ucode11.fw
Extracting b43/ucode9.fw
Extracting b43/ucode5.fw
Extracting b43/lp0bsinitvals15.fw
Extracting b43/lp0initvals15.fw
Extracting b43/lp0bsinitvals14.fw
Extracting b43/lp0initvals14.fw
Extracting b43/a0g1bsinitvals13.fw
Extracting b43/a0g1initvals13.fw
Extracting b43/b0g0bsinitvals13.fw
Extracting b43/b0g0initvals13.fw
Extracting b43/lp0bsinitvals13.fw
Extracting b43/lp0initvals13.fw
Extracting b43/n0absinitvals11.fw
Extracting b43/n0bsinitvals11.fw
Extracting b43/n0initvals11.fw
Extracting b43/a0g1bsinitvals9.fw
Extracting b43/a0g0bsinitvals9.fw
Extracting b43/a0g1initvals9.fw
Extracting b43/a0g0initvals9.fw
Extracting b43/b0g0bsinitvals9.fw
Extracting b43/b0g0initvals9.fw
Extracting b43/a0g1bsinitvals5.fw
Extracting b43/a0g0bsinitvals5.fw
Extracting b43/a0g1initvals5.fw
Extracting b43/a0g0initvals5.fw
Extracting b43/b0g0bsinitvals5.fw
Extracting b43/b0g0initvals5.fw
I'm not sure if the firmware will work because of the "Not supported low-power chip" message.

If the firmware from squeeze repo doesn't work you can try to copy and paste the files from DD-Jessie /lib/firmware/b43 in DD-Squeeze /lib/firmware/b43 folder.
I don't see other options for the moment.

Edit: Try the suggestion here first:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... d3#p309617
...but the problem was i was trying to install the standard driver
firmware-b43-installer on a low power chip
when i installed the LPPHY driver ( firmware-b43-lpphy-installer) everything was fine
firmware-b43-lpphy-installer is the squeeze and wheezy package for BCM4312 (with Low-Power aka LP-PHY)
https://packages.debian.org/squeeze/fir ... -installer

Toni
Attachments
firmware-b43.sh.zip
(412 Bytes) Downloaded 289 times

Ether

#151 Post by Ether »

saintless wrote: This message explains why you can't install the package - not supported low power chip.
But firmware-b43-installer installs and works great on the exact same machine using DD Jessie and MintPup.

Is the firmware-b43-installer in Squeeze repo different from the ones in Jessie and Mint repos?

If so, should I try installing firmware-b43-installer from the Jessie repo (please pardon my lack of knowledge if this suggestion is nonsense).

I will go ahead and try the other suggestions you made.

Ether

#152 Post by Ether »

firmware-b43-lpphy-installer is the squeeze and wheezy package for BCM4312 (with Low-Power aka LP-PHY)
OK, that works. Installed successfully; wireless connected successfully.

Thank you.

saintless

#153 Post by saintless »

Ether wrote:Installed successfully; wireless connected successfully.
Nice to read this :)
Ether wrote:But firmware-b43-installer installs and works great on the exact same machine using DD Jessie and MintPup.
I know but with different firmware-b43 deb package made for Jessie which includes in the same package also low power chip firmware.
Squeeze and Wheezy deb package keeps low power chip b43 firmware in different deb package called firmware-b43-lpphy-installer.
Without reading the error message about "Not supported low power chip..." posted from you I didn't know what to search as a problem.

Toni

mcewanw

DDsqueeze works fine on old first generation Intel Classmate

#154 Post by mcewanw »

saintless wrote:Hi, William.

Your motion works well on P-II, 128Mb RAM machine.
Available for installing with apt-get/synaptic motion-light package:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... 2_i386.deb

apt-get update
apt-get install motion-light

Toni
Hi Toni,

(EDIT: For the above motion install to work with Debian-squeeze, using apt-get install, I think we need a copy of the motion-light deb package in DebianDog-Squeeze/Packages/Extra on smokey01 site, Toni)

As a blast from the past I resurrected an old Intel Classmate (first generation 7 inch lcd screen clamshell type - Celeron M mobile processor - 915GMS + ICH6-M, and mine was upgraded to 512MB DDR2 RAM). I originally received this machine as a development incentive from Intel research labs whilst working on foksyfeyer (almost 8 years ago! - I believe BarryK, raffy and Caneri, who told me about it, amongst others also received Classmates back in 2007/2008 - they should try your DDsqueeze on it!): Old link to foksyfeyer, but still working:

http://arkitektia.heliohost.org/foksyfe ... index.html

As shown in attached photos, the classmate machine now has a damaged lcd screen: only just over half the screen still displays. Nevertheless, I had the otherwise working classmate in mind as a motion detection server (for which even no working screen would do...) using DD-squeeze and my motion-light compilation mentioned above and discussed in link here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 358#836950

Anyway, just reporting that the old classmate boots fine from DD-squeeze (using Porteus boot frugal install on /dev/sdb1 - the machine seems to have an SD slot under the casecover - I'll probably use that later if the classmate will boot from SD, which I believe it can EDIT: confirmed, now booting from inserted SDHC card - also, years ago, I used to boot Puppy 4 Dingo from its internal Flash drive). I boot it using grub4dos via the existing Windows XP installation using method described in Lin'N'Win project. My menu.lst stanza is:

title DDsqueeze on sdb1 using Porteus boot and changes on EXIT
root (hd1,0)
kernel /DDsqueeze/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/DDsqueeze/ changes=EXIT:/DDsqueeze/live/
initrd /DDsqueeze/live/initrd1.xz
Wireless also worked after installing driver with:

apt-get update && apt-get install firmware-ralink
William
Attachments
DSCF4770_600x338.jpg
(32.21 KiB) Downloaded 1412 times
DSCF4769_600x338.jpg
(40.36 KiB) Downloaded 1410 times
github mcewanw

saintless

Re: DDsqueeze works fine on old first generation Intel Classmate

#155 Post by saintless »

mcewanw wrote:(EDIT: For the above motion install to work with Debian-squeeze, using apt-get install, I think we need a copy of the motion-light deb package in DebianDog-Squeeze/Packages/Extra on smokey01 site, Toni)
Thanks William.

Motion-light available now in dd-squeeze repository:

apt-get update
apt-get install motion-light
Toni