PepperFlash Auto-updaters

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

PepperFlash Auto-updaters

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, everybody.

I've finally got around to producing what I wanted to, many, many moons ago. A PepperFlash version of Geoff's Auto-updater for Flash...

I'll only take credit for the construction; thanks for this mainly go to SFS, who modified Geoff's original code to make it work for the Pepper download. Since the code originated with Geoff, he too gets mucho credit here.

This will, all things being equal, be the final set of PepperFlash .pets I produce.....since if it behaves itself, your Pepper install should from now on be self-maintaining. And this is a real possibility, because for some reason, the Pepper download URL doesn't seem to keep changing the way Flash's does. (???) I've been using this for months without a hiccup (so far...!)

This doesn't utilise Geoff's wonderful GUI; it quietly, and unobtrusively, gets on with its task in the background at boot time. Which works for me.

You can manually check this at any time. Just enter, into the terminal,

Code: Select all

/root/Startup/UpdatePep32
...or

Code: Select all

/root/Startup/UpdatePep64
...depending on architecture, and you'll get a readout telling you what (if anything) has happened.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mozilla-based browsers have always had it easy, so far as Flash goes. It always lives in one fixed location (/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins). Conversely, the Chromium-based browsers are a complete nightmare in this respect, since every version seems to expect it to be in a different place..! :roll:

What I've done is quite simple; to make things easy for the update script, Pepper will now live at /usr/lib/PepperFlash (since it's a 'shared library'). From here, libpepflashplayer.so is sym-linked to the appropriate location for each browser. To start you off, the newest version of Pepper is included; the update script works better if Pepper already exists.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As with the PepperFlash .pets, I've produced one for each architecture of the 4 main versions in use by Puppy; Chrome, Chromium, Iron and SlimJet. There's 5 for Chromium, allowing for the changes of location for Pepper between 36 and 43. I expect most folk to be using the newest versions of their favourite browser by now, but there are situations where older releases are the only ones that will run.....

The Chrome .pets are only applicable up to version 55. After this, Google finally got around to sorting out the autoupdater within Chrome for Linux. It takes care of itself nowadays.

32-bit Iron & Slimmie versions are set up for Oscar's packages. The 64-bit versions are set up for mine.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/p3e52a ... o-updaters

Just navigate through and help yourselves to the appropriate one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't like Adobe's flash players any more than anyone else. But although HTML5 is steadily gaining traction, crusty old Flash is still going to be hanging around for some time yet. Having now got a firm EOL date, many websites will yet 'drag their heels' for as long as they possibly can. We might as well make its use as hassle-free as possible for the remainder of its projected lifespan.

Hopefully, these will find favour with at least a few of you. Feedback would be appreciated, kiddiwinks.

Thanks are due to SFS for modifying Geoff's code.

BIG thanks are due to Geoffrey for producing the original.....and for coming up with the idea in the first place.

Enjoy.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 13:11, edited 3 times in total.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Cheers, Ally..! Image

Mike. :wink: