Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 02:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
pWget-0.9.4
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 3 of 4 [60 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Author Message
Bert


Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Posts: 1106

PostPosted: Fri 16 Oct 2015, 18:31    Post subject: pWget-0.9.4.1  

A small update:
    xterm replaced by urxvt
    a sharper tray icon
    pet a bit smaller, due to compressed icons

These changes were already in my local pWget when I made 0.9.4, and I thought I had copied them to the folder that became pWget-0.9.4.pet ... Embarassed 0.9.5 will be perfect Wink
The change to urxvt is important, as it gives a much nicer terminal and you can easily tweak its layout to your liking. (Menu > Desktop > UrxvtSet)

pWget-0.9.4.1.pet
Description 
pet

 Download 
Filename  pWget-0.9.4.1.pet 
Filesize  13.23 KB 
Downloaded  94 Time(s) 

_________________


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
L18L

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 3431
Location: www.eussenheim.de/

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 05:47    Post subject: Re: pWget-0.9.4.1  

Bert wrote:
0.9.5 will be perfect

I hope so, too.

Testing 0.9.4.1 in Fatdog64-701.
Code:
# yad --version
0.31.0 (GTK+ 2.24.27)
#


Tray icon and help page very nice.
I have added Comment[de] into pWget.desktop (see image).

My problem is: I have no idea how to "Drag URL(s) here" Rolling Eyes
(The window has the same look as in your help.)

Clicking Download produces an empty page, an error message would be much nicer.

Anyhow, I believe that 0.9.5 will be perfect! Smile
pWget_with_localized_Comment.png
 Description   
 Filesize   49.54 KB
 Viewed   332 Time(s)

pWget_with_localized_Comment.png

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Bert


Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Posts: 1106

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 10:51    Post subject:  

Hi L18L,

Thanks for testing!

L18L wrote:
My problem is: I have no idea how to "Drag URL(s) here"
(The window has the same look as in your help.)

I know you know how to drag Smile So what can be the problem...maybe you expected to see the URL in the d&d window after dropping it there?
The moment you drop the file it disappears into the bottomless depths of the window. Just click the Download button, ready.
Quote:
Clicking Download produces an empty page, an error message would be much nicer.

I just checked pWget in Fatdog. For me downloading works as it should.
The only difference is Fatdog doesn't seem to understand
Code:
xdg-open $DEST

Instead of opening the destination folder with the file manager, it opens a blank page in Seamonkey Confused
If you replace the "xdg-open" with "rox" it should work as intended.
I use this "xdg-open" to make it possible to use another default file manager than rox.

Thanks for the comment[de] translation. Will be in next version.
Bye!

PS I see the wget-help function in the right-click menu works fine in Fatdog, like it does in Puppy Precise. Unfortunately, testing in Tahr, the terminal window refuses to stay open. More fine-tuning to do Smile

_________________


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
L18L

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 3431
Location: www.eussenheim.de/

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 12:13    Post subject: what and how to drag  

Bert wrote:
I know you know how to drag Smile So what can be the problem...

No, I don't know. Really.
URL is a string containing a "Internet Address". Right?
Example: I want do download http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90541&start=30

1st try
Highlighted this in the browser
clicked middle button in pWget window
clicked Download.
Browser tab opened: file:///root/

2nd try
wrote the URL into a text file
this textfile named URL wrote:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90541&start=30

dragged this file and dropped it into pWget window
clicked Download.
Browser tab opened: file:///root/

Please give me a URL and an explanation what exactly has to be done.

Quote:
You can add non-existing folders on-the-fly and they will be created.
Not with me. There is no mkdir in the script.

Quote:
I just checked pWget in Fatdog. For me downloading works as it should.
The only difference is Fatdog doesn't seem to understand
Code:
xdg-open $DEST

Instead of opening the destination folder with the file manager, it opens a blank page in Seamonkey Confused

xdg-open --help wrote:
xdg-open opens a file or URL in the user's preferred application.
If a URL is provided the URL will be opened in the user's preferred web browser.
If a file is provided the file will be opened in the preferred application for files of that type.
xdg-open supports file, ftp, http and https URLs.

Quote:

More fine-tuning to do Smile
Agreed.

EDIT fd uses spot for internet ....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
L18L

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 3431
Location: www.eussenheim.de/

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 13:50    Post subject: Re: pWget-0.9.4.1  

L18L wrote:
Clicking Download produces an empty page, an error message would be much nicer.
Just a little bit nicer is this loop until not blanc:
Code:
until [ "$DL" ] ; do
     DL=$(yad ... )
done
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Bert


Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Posts: 1106

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 16:18    Post subject:  

Nonono,

Your intelligence and experience get in the way...pWget 0.9.4 was written for dummies like me Laughing
L18L wrote:
Example: I want do download http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90541&start=30

1st try
Highlighted this in the browser (WHY?)
clicked middle button in pWget window (WHY?)
clicked Download.
Browser tab opened: file:///root/

All you need to do is this:

and click the Download button. It would be hard to make this simpler Wink

Here's another example. Don't click on it (no need) just open pWget and drag the link (the blue word 'example') into the window. Click Download and ...done.
Same thing if you are in the site the link points to:

Quote:
Quote:
You can add non-existing folders on-the-fly and they will be created.
Not with me. There is no mkdir in the script.

This works in all puppies I tested (Precise 5.7.1, Precise 5.7.2, Librepup, Thar puppy.) No need for mkdir in those distros)
Quote:
xdg-open --help wrote:
xdg-open opens a file or URL in the user's preferred application.
If a URL is provided the URL will be opened in the user's preferred web browser.
If a file is provided the file will be opened in the preferred application for files of that type.
xdg-open supports file, ftp, http and https URLs.

This much I knew...again, xdg-open works perfectly in the distros above and in Lubuntu and Linux Light... only Fatdog doesn't understand a file in the file tree is a file, not a web address...

Clearly, we'll need some additional code if the hostname is Fatdog Wink

_________________


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
SFR


Joined: 26 Oct 2011
Posts: 1646

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct 2015, 16:52    Post subject:  

Bert wrote:
I just checked pWget in Fatdog. For me downloading works as it should.
The only difference is Fatdog doesn't seem to understand
Code:
xdg-open $DEST

Instead of opening the destination folder with the file manager, it opens a blank page in Seamonkey Confused

This will be, hopefully, fixed in next release (see the 3rd section of this post):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=843371#843371

@L18L: re dragging the URL
Perhaps it doesn't work in some browsers, but works for me in Seamonkey and Chromium.
Anyway, just take a look at the screenshot (Chromium). I hope it explains the matter definitely. Wink

Greetings!
Drag_URL.gif
 Description   
 Filesize   186.11 KB
 Viewed   276 Time(s)

Drag_URL.gif


_________________
[O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource
Omnia mea mecum porto.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
L18L

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 3431
Location: www.eussenheim.de/

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2015, 05:52    Post subject: pWget-0.9.4.1  

Bert wrote:
Clearly, we'll need some additional code if the hostname is Fatdog Wink
Nonono,
no code for this, just the explanations of how to drag a link.

Thanks you.
The examples have made it clear for me.
And SFR's gif is super!

SFR wrote:
This will be, hopefully, fixed in next release (see the 3rd section of this post):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=843371#843371

Confirm: After executing
Code:
echo "inode/directory=rox.desktop" >> /usr/share/applications/defaults.list
folder DEST has been opened in rox.
Thus no extra code for Fatdog. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Bert


Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Posts: 1106

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct 2015, 12:11    Post subject:  

@SFR: Thanks for your help!

@L18L: If it wasn't for your question about dragging, I would have never realized there's a need for explaining this. I thought it was obvious...
So thanks for asking.
In fact the only good way to explain is how SFR did it, with an animated gif.
I will add a gif like that to the help page.

I just made my very first animated gif, with Take A Shot, a great tool made by ...SFR!
Thanks again to both of you.
pWget-0.9.4.1.gif
 Description   
 Filesize   18.08 KB
 Viewed   228 Time(s)

pWget-0.9.4.1.gif


_________________


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
L18L

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 3431
Location: www.eussenheim.de/

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct 2015, 06:58    Post subject: pWget-0.9.4.1
Subject description: More fine-tuning
 

Bert wrote:
PS I see the wget-help function in the right-click menu works fine in Fatdog, like it does in Puppy Precise. Unfortunately, testing in Tahr, the terminal window refuses to stay open. More fine-tuning to do Smile

Before switching to Tahr there are 2 items to fine-tune:
Tray icon menu items

About
wget-help

should be also gettexted.
I get my help in German. Thus "help" should be translatable.

But text in an image Question
--image="$WORKDIR/pwget-about.png"

Maybe changing to svg is the way to go.
Don't ask me how. It is not my domain. I am sure you find it out. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Bert


Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Posts: 1106

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct 2015, 09:24    Post subject:  

Hi L18L,

yes indeed, gettexting is not yet complete. That's one of the reasons this is still a test-version. Things will likely still change here and there, so better to wait with the gettexting. When final version is ready, everything will be gettexted. I promise Smile

Quote:
But text in an image Q Question
--image="$WORKDIR/pwget-about.png"

That was my way of cheating around the problem Laughing
It's not an elegant solution, I know. But at least it gives the user a nice icon above a piece of boring info. Wink If every user would have the latest yad version, with the html function working, problem would be solved by making "About" a small html file. Or...would yad be able to display a md file? That is your domain. Wink
Or I could drop "About" altogether, was just mimicking the big boys.

_________________


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
L18L

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 3431
Location: www.eussenheim.de/

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct 2015, 12:40    Post subject: mdview and yad  

Bert wrote:
...problem would be solved by making "About" a small html file. Or...would yad be able to display a md file? That is your domain. Wink


Experimenting, please wait...

Bert, you put the fun back to coding.
fatdog's unpublished /usr/share/doc/faqs/bugs.md wrote:
%%textdomain fatdoghelp
![ ](fatdog64.png)
# Think you've found a bug?

Like all other creations of man, Fatdog64 is not perfect.

From time to time you may encounter problems.

If you would like these problems to go away, the best ...

See image and continue experimenting with your domain yad --html.
Very Happy
mdview_yad.png
 Description   Note, it is using translations by mdview's internal gettext
 Filesize   23.81 KB
 Viewed   154 Time(s)

mdview_yad.png

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
step

Joined: 04 May 2012
Posts: 954

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct 2015, 15:57    Post subject:  

Nice tool, thanks. Perhaps writing "Drag LINKs here" instead of "Drag URLs here" would ease understanding. I concur that it would be neat to see the download queue as it builds drop after drop, or at least a count of the files being dropped.
_________________
Fatdog64-710|+Packages|Kodi|Findnrun|+forum|gtkmenuplus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Bert


Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Posts: 1106

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct 2015, 18:11    Post subject: Re: mdview and yad  

L18L wrote:


fatdog's unpublished /usr/share/doc/faqs/bugs.md wrote:
%%textdomain fatdoghelp
![ ](fatdog64.png)
# Think you've found a bug?

Like all other creations of man, Fatdog64 is not perfect.

From time to time you may encounter problems.

If you would like these problems to go away, the best ...

See image and continue experimenting with your domain yad --html.
Very Happy


Thank you L18L, that looks exciting... I will not pretend I understand your image:
1. I see two mdview commands, one piped to yad --html and one to yad --text-info
2. The dog we see is part of your wallpaper, right?
3. the yad dialog we see is the result of yad --text-info, right?
(What did the first command produce?)
So, yad can display a .md file in its raw source form, but not as the rich text md is intended to produce, even if mdview is installed?

_________________


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Bert


Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Posts: 1106

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct 2015, 18:24    Post subject:  

step wrote:
Nice tool, thanks. Perhaps writing "Drag LINKs here" instead of "Drag URLs here" would ease understanding. I concur that it would be neat to see the download queue as it builds drop after drop, or at least a count of the files being dropped.

Thanks for the compliment, step.
I agree, changing "URL(s)" to "LINK(s) would probably be easier to understand. I had thought about "File(s) instead of URLs, but that could probably confuse some people too. So, if nobody objects within the next 72 hours Smile , I'll go with your proposal.

I'll think about the idea of a download queue made visible... Maybe an extra button, opening a list? Any ideas are always much appreciated Wink

_________________


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 4 [60 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0717s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0091s) ][ GZIP on ]