Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 29 Aug 2014, 12:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Slacko 5.7 final
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 34 of 40 [600 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 Next
gortonc

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 12:16    Post subject:  

Thank you gentlemen. I had both sfs files and now deleted 5.7 as I do have PAE.

ruwoof, I believe the advantage of PAE will show up with programs running large data sets, not large programs themselves. An example would be Bitcoin-qt.

Which brings me to my next question. I am thrilled that I have been able to get SpiderOak, Anki, and BitMessage up and running. Smile I have not had success yet with Bitcoin-qt 0.8.6. Embarassed

I have loaded devx_slacko_5.7.0, qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.2-i686-s14, and qt4_DEV-4.8.0.sfs. (Are any of these redundant?)

I just noticed that Bitcoin-qt 0.9 is out, just in the last few hours. I have not tried compiling it yet, but suspect I will have the same problem. I get the following error: fatal error: QApplication: No such file or directory

I have searched for "QApplication" to no avail. Any ideas?

BTW-I should note that my understanding of linux is VERY limited, but I am good enough at searching for, and following directions that I may seem further along than I am.

Again, thank you for any help.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 15:24    Post subject:  

For a darker taskbar theme, how can you lighten up the speaker, network and CPU icons?

I've manually increased the cpu background colour in .jwmrc-tray which helped some. I can't see anything to configure frisbee's (network icon) tray icon. And the volume configuration doesn't seem to make any difference no matter what colours I set.

TIA
Screenshot_2014-03-19_193612.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   46.72 KB
 Viewed   850 Time(s)

Screenshot_2014-03-19_193612.jpg

bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 15:39    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
Am I correct in the belief that PAE allows for addressing/using more than 4GB of RAM and pretty much nothing else (all more or less exactly the same otherwise)?

Yes

With PAE.
physical address size increases from 32 bits to 36 bits. This increases the physical memory addressable by the system from 4 GB to 64 GB.

Basically, with Puppy, you would be hard pressed to use 1GB of memory in normal use.

SFR

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 16:26    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
And the volume configuration doesn't seem to make any difference no matter what colours I set.

To change the color of Rertovol icon, use:
Code:
# retrovol_speaker
Takes 1 color argument
   eg:   red, blue, green (in English)
   or hex (escaped #):   \#ff0000,\#0000ff,\#00ff00
If input is garbage then output is garbage!
#

Greetings!

rufwoof

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 16:32    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
rufwoof wrote:
Am I correct in the belief that PAE allows for addressing/using more than 4GB of RAM and pretty much nothing else (all more or less exactly the same otherwise)?

Yes

With PAE.
physical address size increases from 32 bits to 36 bits. This increases the physical memory addressable by the system from 4 GB to 64 GB.

Basically, with Puppy, you would be hard pressed to use 1GB of memory in normal use.

Thanks BigPup

At 9 mplayer video's, one youtube my PC still played back with no slicing. Above that and things started to get choppy - primarily due to CPU. At which time memory utilisation was around 775MB out of the 1.5GB available memory (let alone 2GB of swap).

Yes there may be some cases of a viable need for 4GB+ as Gortonc mentioned earlier, but otherwise more likely it will be CPU thrashing rather than exhausting available memory IMO.
Screenshot_2014-03-19_101316.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   94.82 KB
 Viewed   797 Time(s)

Screenshot_2014-03-19_101316.jpg

rufwoof

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 16:51    Post subject:  

SFR wrote:
rufwoof wrote:
And the volume configuration doesn't seem to make any difference no matter what colours I set.

Code:
# retrovol_speaker
Takes 1 color argument
#

Greetings!

Thanks, but tried that and no change.

Tried editing .retrovolrc and nothing.

It looks like the speaker in the tray is xtmix (tried adding a colour parameter to the .jwmrc-tray and that didn't work either).
gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 16:53    Post subject:  

PAE does NOT hinder any system operation. NOR does it hamper or diminish CPU performance. This has been echoed many times by the CPU manufacturers. You will/do get equivalent hardware performance no matter which of the CPU memory models the Operating System uses.

I don't and have never had a non-PAE PC. But, I do recognize and believe the CPU manufacturers, both, reported the same stories at Developer-Customer seminars.

Lot of the concerns on PAE and non-PAE apply ONLY if you are one of those who happen to have a non-PAE system. Over 99% of all the computers by Intel and AMD are built with PAE on-board.

If you have PAE CPUs, you can use either of the 32bit OSes ever built. If not your choice is limited to a non-PAE choice.

You DO NOT lose anything using a PAE no matter how little or how much RAM you have. It all done by the hardware, no matter which choice your OS allows you to boot. For this SLACKO version, the developer advises a recommended minimum RAM to expect good service in this distro's use. Benefit should be expected to be the same no matter which you boot with.

Whether one chooses otherwise, is a personal choice. Some of this community sees benefit in its use as was expressed by @GordonC (I wonder if he, too, has been to those seminars "back in the day") as it expresses some of the benefit allowed by PAE. Some community membership continues to try to put this topic into some singularity of RAM use.

How many remember that until the PUP developers investigated PAE, 32bit PUPs could ONLY ADDRESS 3.5GB. The 4GB kernels, for those unaware, is a parm change in kernel builds to allow the additional "missing 1/2GB" RAM could be used in non-PAE hardware addressing.

In essence for those who want to make a case of it, there are really 3 32bit kernel modes of OS use: 3.5GB/4GB/64GB ceiling Operating Systems. Windows, Linux have used these variously. There use 2 hardware modes of RAM addressing pre-1995 mode and PAE-1995+.

Maybe we need to start a PUPPY only thread to make it plain for anyone where we remove the emotional responses which allude that one mode is "better" than the other. PAE is hardware not some concept of software. As such the Operating System know how to tell the CPU which it wants to run. And the OSes then make internal tables to support system and subsystem operations which allow applications to be able to meet their demands. Absence, does identically (architecturally) the same.

Hardware...not how I feel. Hardware!

One member publishes what he says is happening on his system. Here is the "evidence" I show with 14 tabs open across 3 browser windows and 4 ROX windows open without any multimedia playing (it only goes up from this):
Code:
# Free
bash: Free: command not found
# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       4149248      2085504      2063744            0        34560
-/+ buffers:            2050944      2098304
Swap:      8389012            0      8389012
#

I run a lot of webpages simultaneously open with many also with both server-side and client-side stuff. And when playing a multimedia on desktop and doing other such stuff with moving things around in data and content creation, I run much more than 1GBof RAM usage as shown by the "free" command. In fact, on most PUPs I run, browser use is a big contributor as the system moves things in its SWAP use, as it attempts to give me good application performance. This is NOT limited to either of the 32bit modes of OSes, for I also have done such on my 64bit PCs as well. So to suggest to anyone that your workload is representative is probably not a good leadership for them. Rather, it might be useful to assist thru sharing how workloads can be managed effectively when running versus trying to steer anyone in one direction or another.

Lastly, all emotions aside, and all debates aside, my recommendation is still a valid one. "If you have PAE you can use either; if not, you are limited to only non-PAE.".

Enjoy either of your choices. This continues to be a very good distro for community use.

Hope this helps

Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 19 Mar 2014, 17:01; edited 1 time in total
SFR

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 17:01    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
SFR wrote:
rufwoof wrote:

Code:
# retrovol_speaker
Takes 1 color argument
#

Greetings!

Thanks, but tried that and no change.

Tried editing .retrovolrc and nothing.

It looks like the speaker in the tray is xtmix (tried adding a colour parameter to the .jwmrc-tray and that didn't work either).

That's odd, works here. Confused

Greetings!
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   8.75 KB
 Viewed   764 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 17:03    Post subject:  

BTW, thanks SFR. Tried it yesterday.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar 2014, 17:16    Post subject:  

SFR wrote:

That's odd, works here. Confused

My mistake, works for me as well.

I took your earlier posting to be a retrovol speaker help type output and assumed the command was

retrovol red

Dumb noob that I am Smile
gortonc

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar 2014, 13:36    Post subject:  

Hmm... sometimes I am stumped by simple things. I tried to install qt-4.8.2 from the Slackware 14.0 official repository using p.package mang. After installing it shows that I am missing the dependency: libmysqlclient.so.18

I have searched in vain. Embarassed Any suggestions are appreciated.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar 2014, 14:23    Post subject:  

gortonc wrote:
Hmm... sometimes I am stumped by simple things. I tried to install qt-4.8.2 from the Slackware 14.0 official repository using p.package mang. After installing it shows that I am missing the dependency: libmysqlclient.so.18

I have searched in vain. Embarassed Any suggestions are appreciated.

Qt should work without it but if you definitely need it for some app install mysql from PPM. Is a heavy 85MB package

gortonc

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar 2014, 19:43    Post subject:  

Thanks Mavrothal.However the mystery deepens (for me). I am confused by the options for installing qt. There are several SFS files and pets. What is the preferred one for Slacko 5.7?

It is required for several programs I need: Bitmessage, Anki, SpiderOak, and bitcoin-qt. I have the first two working, but SpiderOak and bc-qt are putting up a fight.

I would prefer an SFS, but will use whatever works.

As always, thanks for any help.

PS... as a matter of netiquette, is this the place to post these questions?
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 21 Mar 2014, 19:55    Post subject:  

gortonc

If you go to the Menu under Setup you see SFS Manager. The qt-open-src sfs will work fine. It should download and install. You will need to reboot for full functionality.

rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 22 Mar 2014, 12:47    Post subject:  

For those with Shinobar's portable firefox installed updated to latest version 28 (may also work with other (older) FF versions), a few useful Extensions to install (IMO) are :

NoScript (goes without saying)
Zoom Page to aid with zooming in and out (right click to scale, or not, images)
Hide Tab with One bar - so no tabs if only a single browser window
Hide Caption Title Bar

If you set the tray to be at the top of screen rather than the bottom i.e. Menu, Desktop, JWM Management, Tray Management, Tray Placement, then in full screen browser display of a single web page, the tray in effect looks like the title bar.
Screenshot_2014-03-22_164750.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   61.68 KB
 Viewed   428 Time(s)

Screenshot_2014-03-22_164750.jpg

Page 34 of 40 [600 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: