Slacko 57 0 Final PAE
A quick test : it's OK
HP intel Pentium 2 cores ram 6g
(frugall install)
thanks

Terry H

Re: Intel 4965AGN wifi not working

#438 Post by Terry H »

01micko wrote: Now if you could test the same on the 4G version (5.6.8) and instead move to /lib/firmware/iwlwifi/iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode (replacing iwlegacy) that will give me enough motivation to move all firmware for wifi drivers to /lib/firmware. This is probably where firmware for wifi (and ethernet and probably others, apart form big modems) should be.
Didn't get a chance to test against 5.6.8, as you got 5.7 out too quickly for me. I downloaded 5.7 (Non- PAE), created directory 'iwlwifi' within '/lib/firmware' and copied 'iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode' to it. Wifi is working. It didn't work if I did it as a symlink though.

All is working well on my Dell D620 with Core Duo and 2.5 GB RAM.

Excellent work!

Colonel Panic

#439 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for this one!

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Dpup

Slacko 5.7 Final

#440 Post by Dpup »

Was having same problem reported by others not being able to connect WiFi on HP dv6833us laptop that has the PCI Intel PRO 4965 with Slacko 5.7 final.. Earlier versions of Slacko connected fine.

Thanks to Terry H., 01micko and others, As instructed in posting above, I created the lwlwifi inside of /lib/firmware and copied lwlwifi-4965-2.ucode into it.

My HP dv6833us WiFi now connects fine to my WPA2 TKIP router.

Now if I just can find some help with getting my new Canon MX922 to print with CUPS... buts another problem for another Puppy expert, and may be more difficult to solve... since I have not seen any reports of newer, current Canon printers like the MX922 to work with any version of Puppy.

Cheers !!!

majorfoo

#441 Post by majorfoo »

Full install of PAE version on sda4 partition
Changed browser from firefox to seamonkey
added audacious, bibletime, wbar and few other pets
Everything working - no problems to report at present time

Looking good -
Thanks for all your hard work on this project

nooby

#442 Post by nooby »

Thanks Micko! I am so embarrassed. I still fail to get
if I is best suited with PAE or NON-PAE. I don't get what it is about.

I have a Desktop HP/Compaw it use the AMD x2 old cpu computer
built around 2007 or something but works good for my purposes?

I did down load both but want the good advice from you guys.

Is this a NON-PAE machine? it is 64bit if that is important.

Now to test it I report back.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

debernardis

#443 Post by debernardis »

Hello all,
in order to upgrade, I copied on my Slacko 5.6 usb stick (which is my main driver at work :) ) the following files from the extracted 5.7 image:

initrd.gz
vmlinux
puppy_slacko_5.7.0.sfs

Am I right? Everything seems to work so far.
Thank you very much for everything!

EDIT: don't want to get you in a hurry, but, where do I get kernel source (and possibly headers?) pet? Need them for virtualbox

nooby

#444 Post by nooby »

debernardis I should let the guys that know things to answer
but my general experience is that one can get in trouble.

better to replace or start new Dir with slacko 5.7 wall to wall
with the old one but if you are on a small USB then delete all the
old files for slacko and put in the new ones and start all over.

You can save bookmarks from 5.6 separate by placing them on
the USB ? Okay over to those who know. I tryed to upgrade now
and it did not went well. So I started new and that went well.

AFAIK I am now in the Non-PAE OS and that went well. Sound
and Graphics and Firefox and so on.

mavrothal

#445 Post by mavrothal »

debernardis wrote: EDIT: don't want to get you in a hurry, but, where do I get kernel source (and possibly headers?) pet? Need them for virtualbox
Headers in devx. Source SFS in http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -slacko14/ and mirrors (as the first post says :wink: )
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

debernardis

#446 Post by debernardis »

mavrothal wrote:
debernardis wrote: EDIT: don't want to get you in a hurry, but, where do I get kernel source (and possibly headers?) pet? Need them for virtualbox
Headers in devx. Source SFS in http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -slacko14/ and mirrors (as the first post says :wink: )
Thank you very much. I needed that little kick. This forum confirms to be a nice community :)

DC

VLC with DVB

#447 Post by DC »

Hi,
Does anybody have a version of VLC with DVB working in slacko 5.7?

My normal pet "vlc-2.0.3_twoflower.pet" won't even open.

thanks

dc
a little bit of knowledge and I'm dangerous

Jim1911

#448 Post by Jim1911 »

@nooby

As I understand it, the main advantage of PAE is the ability to access ram memory. So if you have more than 3GB it should be more suitable otherwise stick with non-PAE.

nooby

#449 Post by nooby »

Ah yes now that you remind me that is the purpose of PAE.
I have exactly 3GB RAM :)

slick-puppy

#450 Post by slick-puppy »

I did a full install of Slacko 5.7 final and so far everything seems to be working good here.

I compiled and installed some modified dvb modules and installed some modified dvb headers (For The higher bitrate feeds) and it looks like my dvb apps are going to be fine also.

Thank you for your time and trouble it took to get this done.

The Screen Shot is Galaxy 28 3900 H 29861 CBS Feed:
Attachments
slacko.jpg
(128.8 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
Last edited by slick-puppy on Mon 10 Mar 2014, 21:20, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

Why is there confusion on a 1995 PC feature.

#451 Post by gcmartin »

FYI

Just a note: Anyone can use PAE or non-PAE and will get identical packages, services, and subsystems NO MATTER how little or how much RAM you have.

PAE takes advantage of a feature in the Intel/AMD CPUs to allow RAM access. A few PC CPUs dont have this feature, yet most in the world do. PAE's advantage is that it doesn't care how much RAM you have as the hardware will make all of the RAM the PC has available to your PCs.

The original 486 architecture did NOT have this additional feature. In 1995 AMD, first, Intel next, began building PCs with the feature.

BOTH non-PAE and PAE distros, again, provide exactly the same operations, look, feel, services, subsystems and applications! EXACTLY the same. And, you will NOT lose or gain anything magical whether you use one distro or the other.

From the system's ability to let one achieve a work objective, neither denies that.

There have been measurements all over the PC world from 1996 - 2010, including here in Puppyland which have shown that PAE has NO negative impact versus non-PAE if your PC is built with the CPUs that contain it. In fact, all assert that the hardware does what its suppose to, while the OSes, in some cases show improvements with PAE operation on PCs with less than 1GB RAM. This information is published all over the internet. Some show much gains, other show little, but all show that the architecture works. And, authors of these reports have feelings about this too...some accurate...some not so. There are even some that points to some words as having some meaning that they perceive as correct, while the industry has measured and found the hardware performance proper and without penalty.

Architecturally, PAE hardware will access ALL RAM no matter how little or how much you have. PCs which do NOT have the feature cannot present much more than 3.5GB to the OS. That's all there is.

Advice: If you have a system which can run both distros, YOU CHOOSE and feel comfortable that what you choose will run to meet your needs.

Developers: Have made their distros with both in some cases as they recognize that some community members have PC whose RAM exceeds 3GB. As such, they help the community by providing the PAE version knowing full well that PAE works on over 99% of the PCs while not providing any negative impact to use. They do so to benefit users.

In reality, RAM consideration should NOT enter the discussion as it has been shown to not matter in measurements.

This is post's subject is published, again, because the topic continues to be a hotbed for some and it really shouldn't be. If you have a PAE PC...You choose either distro. If not, you have NO choice.

FYI

James C

Re: Why is there confusion on a 1995 PC feature.

#452 Post by James C »

gcmartin wrote: There have been measurements all over the PC world from 1996 - 2010, including here in Puppyland which have shown that PAE has NO negative impact versus non-PAE if your PC is built with the CPUs that contain it. In fact, all assert that the hardware does what its suppose to, while the OSes, in some cases show improvements with PAE operation on PCs with less than 1GB RAM. This information is published all over the internet. Some show much gains, other show little, but all show that the architecture works. And, authors of these reports have feelings about this too...some accurate...some not so. There are even some that points to some words as having some meaning that they perceive as correct, while the industry has measured and found the hardware performance proper and without penalty.
In the interest of fairness all information should be presented.

Yes,there are studies and tests that conclude that PAE has no negative impact on computer performance. However,there are plenty of studies and tests that do show a negative impact. Such as...
http://askubuntu.com/questions/151068/f ... vs-non-pae
But this requires slightly more overhead over non-PAE, which can lead to slightly decreased performance.
Here's a very simple explanation: in non-PAE mode, a 32-bit CPU must lookup (access) two tables to access a physical memory address; in PAE-mode, it must lookup three tables to do so. The one additional lookup requires some (very small) extra time, thus imposing additional overhead.
At the end of this answer are two images from the Wikipedia PAE article, illustrating the above point.
NX/XD bit: The PAE kernel also supports the No-eXecute/eXecute-Disable bit on 64-bit processors; this can help prevent some kinds of virus/malicious attacks (buffer overflows), but IMO this doesn't matter much when choosing 32-bit kernels for Ubuntu.
...but in practice this overhead is negligible (almost nothing)...
Phoronix has done a number of tests over the years which show that on systems with 4GB or less, the PAE kernel may be at most approximately 5% slower than the non-PAE kernel. This is only for a specific test application; the usual difference is less than 1%.
Tests for 12.04 LTS - 8 GB system!
Tests for 11.04 - 4 and 8GB systems
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... 3264&num=1

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... ae64&num=1

Phoronix has done a number of tests over the years which show that on systems with 4GB or less, the PAE kernel may be at most approximately 5% slower than the non-PAE kernel.

Even 1% could be significant on a low-ram computer.

Red Hat is fairly well-known in the Linux world...

http://people.redhat.com/nmurray/RHEL-2 ... epaper.pdf
The performance impact is highly workload dependent, but on a fairly typical kernel
compile, the PAE penalty works out to be around a 1% performance hit on Red
Hat’s test boxes. Testing with various other workload mixes has given performance
hits ranging from 0% to 10%.
There's lots of evidence to support both sides of the matter but let the user decide for themselves.But to say,or omit, that there is any evidence of a performance penalty is disingenuous.

Puppus Dogfellow

#453 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Slacko Puppy 5.7 PAE and Non-PAE plus respective devx.sfs mirrored

James C

Re: Why is there confusion on a 1995 PC feature.

#454 Post by James C »

gcmartin wrote: There have been measurements all over the PC world from 1996 - 2010, including here in Puppyland which have shown that PAE has NO negative impact versus non-PAE if your PC is built with the CPUs that contain it.
Using absolutes when evidence exists to the contrary may cause these little disagreements. Users are free to choose and use the version thay want....but full information should be disclosed. :)

Hopefully on to other more important things...... :lol:

gcmartin wrote: There are even some that points to some words as having some meaning that they perceive as correct, while the industry has measured and found the hardware performance proper and without penalty.

PaulR

#455 Post by PaulR »

My savefile problem has returned with 5.7. As I mentioned it further up this thread I thought I'd post here rather than in Bug Reports.

Booting off a USB, saving using the defaults (admin, 512mb, no encrypt etc) to sda1 (formatted ext4 and having just Linux Mint installed). Tried saving Puppy in ext2 and ext4 format with and without additional characters in the savefile name.

This is the non-PAE version on a Thinkpad T42 1GB - Puppy isn't installed in any way.

Not sure if this is any help, I'm afraid I don't know where to start looking...

Code: Select all

▶—— /initrd/tmp/bootinit.log ——◀

'FATAL' messages may be insignificant.

hwclock: can't open '/dev/misc/rtc': No such file or directory
mount: mounting none on /proc/bus/usb failed: No such file or directory
Bypass looking for vmlinuz on sda1
missing argument to `-iname'
I can mount and browse the slackosave file I created at first shutdown and it all seems to be ok.

Paul