Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Walter Dnes

Re: More Puppy sulu2 config questions

#826 Post by Walter Dnes »

Walter Dnes wrote:Why isn't roxterm sourcing .bashrc or .bashrc_profile? Where am I supposed to set up aliases, etc?
It appears that "bash" is actually a symlink to "sh". Putting initialization in ~/.profile works.

greengeek

#827 Post by greengeek »

Walter Dnes wrote: Putting initialization in ~/.profile works.
Hi Walter - can you explain what you mean by "initialization", and also offer some idea what /.profile is used for please? cheers!

Walter Dnes

#828 Post by Walter Dnes »

greengeek wrote:
Walter Dnes wrote: Putting initialization in ~/.profile works.
Hi Walter - can you explain what you mean by "initialization", and also offer some idea what /.profile is used for please? cheers!
First of all, a correction. roxterm uses ~/.profile, while xterm uses ~/.bashrc and ~/.bash_profile. ~/.profile is read and executed each time you start roxterm. Ditto .bashrc for xterm. Here's an example .bashrc (for xterm) or .profile for roxterm.

Code: Select all

alias ll='ls -al'
export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim
export PS1='[\[\033[01;32m\]\h\[\033[00m\]][\[\033[01;34m\]\u\[\033[00m\]][\[\033[01;36m\]\w\[\033[00m\]] '
The "alias" statement allows me to type "ll" at the commandline as an abbreviation for "ls -al"

The "export EDITOR" statement sets the default edito to vim. Note that I had to create a symlink from vim.basic to vim.

The "export PS1" in this example works best with a a dark background. It colorizes the prompt. The hostname is in bright green, the username is in bright blue, and the current directory is in bright cyan. I use xterm and force a blck background. Is there any way to tweak toxterm's "tango" colour scheme? It's almost there, but the putrid grey background makes it hard to read anything. Again, I'd like a black background.

Buddy

#829 Post by Buddy »

Buddy likes the Fatdog64 and the good old, yet new 5.2.8.X :D

Walter Dnes

Doing my own iptables rules?

#830 Post by Walter Dnes »

I have a favourite set of iptables firewalll rules that I like to use. What files in Lucid 5.2.8.7 are the rules stored in? I'd prefer to copy them in, and use the "Firewall" widget. Failing that, I'd probably have to turn off the regular firewall, and run a script at startup.

sindi

testing network problems on old hardware

#831 Post by sindi »

[quote="rerwin"]sindi,
Wow! What an inventory! Thanks for being willing to work with me on them.

For networking, let's aim to get at least one of the network managers to work for each unit,
rather than trying to make all of them work. My preference is to make frisbee work for all.
We might start with the problems regarding the most of your units, to get the most benefit
from our efforts.

Let's limit the scope to, say, 3 cases at a time. What are the networking problems with the
P4s? (Please include at least one single-core unit, in case there are problems with
multiprocessor interactions.) For each unique case, please run them until you see the
problem, then get a pdiag file and PM it to me (or post them if you want others to look at
them). For the best hardware results, we should use sulu2 or sulu4 for the P4s, and maybe as
the first choice for the others until we find an obstacle. (Sulu2 has the best mix of
capabilities - dial-up modems, xz-compressed SFS file support and somewhat newer drivers.)"
[/quote]

Sorry I took time off from linux to mail out vegetable seeds for a month and file taxes.
Most of my laptops are single-core. I have never used sulu because none of my hardware is
'newer' (mostly 2006 or older, three 2008 netbooks, one 2009). Okay to test from bootable
flash drives?

[quote] EDIT:
Focusing on Network Wizard, Frisbee, b43 and orinoco -- to summarize:

Establish a test setup with the basic lupu 5287 for each item, using newest PC having a
problem with that item or combination of items. Get a preliminary pdiag for each setup after
the problem becomes apparent.

If you have time for only one case, let's work on the b43 where it doesn't work with frisbee
or, if none, netwiz. R[/quote]

The B43 cards are mini-PCI (2002-2005 or so). I can probably test in the 2002 DELL Inspiron
8200. We have three 2005 HP's that take them but require HP-labelled cards (firmware). One
of the three has a B43. The 8100 has dead wifi slot.

Regarding ACER 4100 which won't do Xorg, Walter explained how to identify video and it is not
i915 but Intel 82852/855GM Rev 2. Lots of problems reported for Ubuntu 10 and even 14. A
later intel driver works better.

sindi

sulu2 does not have Xorg and sound problems of 2.6 kernel

#832 Post by sindi »

Acer Travelmate 4001LCi - non-widescreen, Intel integrated graphics 855GM. Circa 2005, pentium M 705, 1.5GHz, 400MHz FSB.... This is the newest laptop I have running with lucid puppy other than a 2008 netbook.

With retro lupu (2.6 kernel and modules):
1) Xorg does not work (black screen)
2) No sound when testing sound in Alsa wizard (though it works to play .wavs with aplay).
3) Network Wizard detects card and router signal but DHCP fails.
Static assignment of IP numbers also fails.
4) Frisbee works with ipw2200 wifi (probably mini-PCI card), with both DHCP and static.

WIth sulu2 (kernel 3.2.48)
1) First boot goes straight to Xorg with no problems
2) Sound works when testing with Alsa wizard
3) Network Wizard acts the same as before.
4) Frisbee works as before.

I had to press the wireless switch before wifi would work, but it did not light up until Frisbee made the connection.

Network Wizard could not detect a connection on the first try but could on the second (I think with both versions of puppy).

Did I already send pdiag results for this laptop? Network Wizard is the only problem with it so far. (I will also test acpitool -s to suspend and see if it reanimates).

Can I simply copy over lupusave from retro lupu? Any differences besides kernel and modules?

In an HP laptop the same age with the same wifi chip I could not get wifi to work even with Frisbee, 2.6 kernel lucid. I will try again. I cannot tell when the switch is on since it will not light up. The card works in Windows and the switch lights up (blue) at boot time.

sindi

acpitool not working on ACER 4001LCi with sulu2

#833 Post by sindi »

acpitool -s
could not open file /proc/acpi/sleep
There is /proc/acpi/wakeup (listing three USB devices enabled)

I think this is also happens with precise and tahr puppies.
Maybe kernel 3 cannot suspend?

With 2.6 kernel lucid, acpitool suspends but nothing will wake this laptop up.
Suspend works with 2.6 kernel lucid on other laptops. It works on desktops with later puppies using the power button to reanimate.

The original reason for using lucid instead of tahr or precise is that my partner insists on a linux that can suspend.

Precise 5.7.1 works with Xorg and sound, but the icons are all inverted triangles with question marks and it will not power off (or reboot). Same problem with Network Wizard, and Frisbee works. Perhaps Network Wizard was not properly tested with WEP (which we use, 10 character code).

sindi

sulu2 lacking fbcon module

#834 Post by sindi »

/etc/rc.d/rc.local contains
modprobe fbcon

But there is no fbcon to insert in /lib/modules/....
(Same problem with Slacko 5).

I mainly work in terminal mode and like to see more on the screen.
But this laptop was set up for someone who sticks with X.
I can use the 2.6 kernel on my own hardware.

Do sulu3 or sulu4 have fbcon module?

Can they suspend to RAM (acpitool -s) and recover from suspension?

Pale Moon 27.2 official is working fine on here. Mplayer displays a DVD properly with Sulu2 and Xorg. With retro Lupu mplayer (in Smtube) displayed solid blue.

So far sulu2 fixed three problems (Xorg, mplayer, sound), has one left to fix (Network Wizard), and two introduced (no fbcon and won't suspend to RAM).

The newer kernel is 2.8MB while the older one is 2.2MB. (I learned linux with a 600K kernel on a 486).

Network Wizard is really not needed if Frisbee works.

sindi

sulu2 and precise 5.7 no automatic shutdown on Acer 4001LCi

#835 Post by sindi »

Neither Precise nor Sulu2 shuts down when it says it is.
"Super Lupu is now shutting down".
Eventually I hold the power switch (after trying to reboot).

This laptop reboots by first switching itself off (I can hear it go off and see the green light go off in the power switch, then on again).

Maybe this is related to acpitool -s not waking it?

I copied the contents of lupusave to directory sulusave and rebooted. It asked me to delete 102 duplicate files (in lupusave) and then for another 11 files it had me 'consider removing' them because the files in the .sfs were newer. I removed one at a time.

Things work as expected in sulu with lupusave's files. Wifi connection was automatic. It barked when starting up (unlike retro lucid).

HTML5 youtube (Pale Moon 27.2 SSE2) plays extremely jerkily (image changes every minute or so). The little red graph in lower right (network tray?) is constantly above the horizontal line even at this forum and at youtube it is off the top. CPU usage during youtube is only about 25% and the grey line is ahead of the red line (downloads faster than it plays). What does this all mean?

nic007

#836 Post by nic007 »

Try command: echo mem > /sys/power/state for suspend. On my laptop works on racy, precise, tahr. I need to press the power button for it to wake.

sindi

Suspend to ram for sulu2

#837 Post by sindi »

echo mem > /sys/power/state
Works perfectly in sulu2 with kernel 3.2 on Acer 4001LCi!

I will try with kernel 2 in retro lupu (which will suspend with
acpitool but will not wake up again).

My original reason for using lupu was that acpitool will not
suspend with Precise or Tahr.

Please contribute this solution to the acpitool discussion.

sindi

retro Lucid 2016 won't wake up (Acer 4001LCi)

#838 Post by sindi »

With retro (2.6 kernel) Lupu, echo mem > /sys/power/state
acts exactly like acpitool -s. It suspends but if you press the power
button to wake it up you get a black screen. Maybe related to the need to
use VESA with this kernel (intel driver did not work for 855GM video in
the 2.6 kernel, but did in 3.2 kernel).

This laptop will therefore be used with Sulu, and without fbcon.

Lucid 525, according to my notes, has a working Network Wizard, fbcon
included in the kernel, working Xorg and acpitool suspend. I wonder how
5.2.8.6 broke so much.

nic007

#839 Post by nic007 »

In wary (which uses 2 kernel) echo mem works but you need to press power button twice to wake. On my laptop, I click once and then slight pause till I hear the dvd/cd rom click and then press again immediately. Don't have other distributions to test.

Walter Dnes

Re: testing network problems on old hardware

#840 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:Regarding ACER 4100 which won't do Xorg, Walter explained how to identify video and it is not i915 but Intel 82852/855GM Rev 2. Lots of problems reported for Ubuntu 10 and even 14. A later intel driver works better.
@rerwin
Support for the "Poulsbo" (aka GMA 500) video adapter is available as of kernel 3.18. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_GMA_500 for some technical comments, including xorg.conf.d/ setup.

Pelo

The iso dowloaded will replace my hand-made puplets.

#841 Post by Pelo »

lupusuper1-5.2.8.7-k3.0.25-20161228.iso downloading . Why this one , because i need an antenna for wireless where i live, and some rare kernels are compiled for Antennas. Only an expert can compile them (rcrsn is the one). So now i choose my puppies depending on their kernel, so my laptop can do what my tablet did, before i gave it to children ( i hate typing on screen)
To tell everything i have been changing the kernel of many Lucids with 3.0.25 for three years, because this one is really perfect.
The iso dowloaded will replace my hand-made puplets.
Spring and summer are here, i will bring my computer in my car to find some trees to surf under , Heu, i need wireless access points. I am not completely free, but 300 meters is a lot and give some choice (dongle N300)
Attachments
WifiSea.jpg
Acces point for sailors !
(78.36 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

sindi

Poulsbo GMA 500 video NOT in Acer 4001LCi

#842 Post by sindi »

lsmod | grep gma - no results.
lsmod finds i915

The Acer is not an Atom machine. 855GM video.
My 2008 Atom netbooks work fine with Xorg and the 2.6 lucid kernel.

More experimenting.

Wary 5.5. echo mem > /sys/power/state to suspend and hit power button twice to reanimate works.
Lucid 5287 retro - same method worked today. Maybe my timing was off before. With sulu2 hit button just once.

Wary 5.5 - Xorg works. Network Wizard fails to connect to wifi first time, second time connects and assigns IP address.
I think Lucid 5.2.5 also works with both (I can check again).

Lucid 5.2.8.6 with 2.6 or 3.2 kernel - Network Wizard connects on first or second try, but DHCP fails.
(I think Precise has the same problem).

Can Lucid 5287 use the Wizard from Lucid 5.2.5, or from Wary 5.5 (2013), instead of from 5.2.8.6?

Lucid with 2.6 kernel has recently been freezing (no mouse cursor, nothing works) if I type Alt-F2 to switch to a terminal.
It also tries to assign an ip address to eth2 inksys (sic - should be linksys). I had to run e2fsck from CD.

The intended user is used to powering off manually and does not use fbcon or even terminals, so sulu2 does the trick at least with this
ipw2200 wifi card.

rerwin - which page of this forum has instructions for pdiag? Do I run it before or after Network Wizard?
I will send info for ipw2200 Network Wizard then switch to b43 Frisbee.
We have a matched pair of 2005 laptops (mini-PCI) one with each.

rerwin

Re: sulu2 lacking fbcon module

#843 Post by rerwin »

sindi wrote:/etc/rc.d/rc.local contains
modprobe fbcon

(Same problem with Slacko 5).
Sulu2 20161228 has fbcon.ko. You can verify that by looking for:
/initrd/pup_ro2/lib/modules/3.2.48/kernel/drivers/video/console/fbcon.ko
Do sulu3 or sulu4 have fbcon module?
No
Can they suspend to RAM (acpitool -s) and recover from suspension?
I don't know. I have not experimented with acpi-tool nor suspend/resume.
So far sulu2 fixed three problems (Xorg, mplayer, sound), has one left to fix (Network Wizard), and two introduced (no fbcon and won't suspend to RAM).
. . .
Network Wizard is really not needed if Frisbee works.
I have been working on fixing the entire network reboot business, because netwiz is not at fault. I am attaching a temporary prototype of a fix for rebooting with netwiz, because I suspect you are actually seeing the reboot handled by SNS instead of netwiz. Please try it as an experiment only, because I am almost finished with a more complete solution and a fix for the SNS problem of sometimes failing to start the network.
rerwin - which page of this forum has instructions for pdiag? Do I run it before or after Network Wizard?
I will send info for ipw2200 Network Wizard then switch to b43 Frisbee.
We have a matched pair of 2005 laptops (mini-PCI) one with each.
Just type:
pdiag --help
for the explanation of what it does. To use it, just type:
pdiag
and follow its instructions. It puts a pdiag file in /root, which you can then attach to a posting or PM.
You run it after you see a problem. So, run it after netwiz when you don't see a connection. Beware that connecting and disconnecting seems to take awhile, maybe ten seconds or more.

Regarding PCs with 855GM video: They need to use sulu2 because the lupu kernel has a bug that was fixed later and not backported, as far as I can tell.
Attachments
net_setup-20170316-lucid.pet
Prototype fix for incorrect rebooting of network wizard connection -- for testing only!
(A better version is in the works.)
(103.29 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 19:41, edited 2 times in total.

sindi

fbcon in sulu2 present but not working

#844 Post by sindi »

quote="sindi"]/etc/rc.d/rc.local contains
modprobe fbcon

(Same problem with Slacko 5).[/quote]Sulu2 20161228 has fbcon.ko. You can verify that by looking for:
/initrd/pup_ro2/lib/modules/3.2.48/kernel/drivers/video/console/fbcon.ko

--------

My error. The module, with three other related ones, does load, but despite vga=791 in menu.lst, does not work as desired. During boot I see hi-res text at first but it switches to plain VGA (large text) at 'Loading drivers'. Lucid 5.25 I think has fbcon included in the kernel. Tahr too.

Networking problems next..

sindi

sulu2 will not automatically power off

#845 Post by sindi »

[quote]So far sulu2 fixed three problems (Xorg, mplayer, sound), has one left to fix (Network Wizard), and two introduced (no fbcon and won't suspend to RAM). [/quote]

It has fbcon which is not working at least on this one laptop.
It suspends to RAM but does not power down without the power button.

Network Wizard....