Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
zigbert

#556 Post by zigbert »

Regarding pMusic and the xerrs.log.
Does it happen at both lupu / lupusuper? Which one should I download for testing? What is the difference between lupu and sulu?

sheldonisaac

pMusic and the xerrs.log

#557 Post by sheldonisaac »

zigbert wrote:Regarding pMusic and the xerrs.log.
Does it happen at both lupu / lupusuper? Which one should I download for testing? What is the difference between lupu and sulu?
I tested only with the new beta-ish sulu. And not very thoroughly; ran out of energy? brains?

I don't know exactly the differences in the versions; of course, Richard does.
Oh, I see on page 1 of the thread he explains it, including ".. lupusuper (or "sulu") is/are based on kernels 3.x, to support newer hardware and xz compression.."

And he asks people to test the software; hopefully some others will.

I can try some more, but not immediately.
Had thought that possibly my savefiles were influencing things?
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

rerwin

#558 Post by rerwin »

zigbert,
Thanks for helping us with this problem.

I noticed the "flooding" with pmusic 5.2.4, but not with 5.2.5. I have not tried 5.3.0. It occurs in both lupu and sulu2. The repeated line appears to be a debug line, as it contains values for "size=, time=, bitrate=".
Richard

zigbert

#559 Post by zigbert »

Ok, that is output of ffmpeg.
I wonder why 5.2.4 and 5.2.5 differs. I can't see any changes in the code that should interfere with this...

Hmmm

zigbert

#560 Post by zigbert »

and btw, 5.3.0 is not ready for production. - 5.4.0 will be the next stable branch.

sheldonisaac

the pmusic - xerrs.log problem

#561 Post by sheldonisaac »

zigbert wrote:Ok, that is output of ffmpeg.
I wonder why 5.2.4 and 5.2.5 differs. I can't see any changes in the code that should interfere with this...

Hmmm
Richard and Sigmund,

I just booted the new SulU2 with pfix-ram
On this same Dell laptop Latitude E6410

No flooding with pmusic 5.2.4 , or with 5.2.5 or 5.30.

Between versions, I removed the ~/.pmusic directory.

I am now even more puzzled: I observed it last night!

Perhaps there needs to be an existing /tmp/xerrs.log for the problem to occur?
(I think I'd removed it this morning, if it was there?)

rerwin

#562 Post by rerwin »

What we are seeing may be related to "residue" from older versions of pmusic. After installing 5.2.5 over the builtin 5.2.4, and not seeing the repeated lines, I then uninstalled 5.2.5 to restore 5.2.4. The lines did not appear in the log!

I suspect that I should remove all of .pmusic and /usr/local/pmusic from the "master", remove any pmusic builtins, and start fresh with 5.2.5 and the pmusic_THEME_pmusic_original-2008.08.10 pets. Maybe I should leave out or replace the THEME package.

I need feedback on this from anyone familiar with pmusic in lucid pup, because I have no experience with it.

My guess is that the "flooding" is part of the initial building of a database, although I believe I have run 5.2.4 several times in succession and saw the lines each time.
Richard

Update:
I did a clean experiment. In a fresh pupsave environment, I ran pmusic 5.2.4 as installed in the ISO. That got the repeated lines.

I then installed the pmusic 5.2.4 package, then saw no such lines when I ran it after that. I then uninstalled 5.2.4 to use the original version from the ISO, and also saw none of the repeated lines.

That tells me that the problem relates to the fact that the ISO copy of pmusic and its related /root/.pmusic and /usr/local/pmusic files are being overridden by something in the top layer of the file system. That gives me a place to start.

Please give me some time to figure this all out. No need for zigbert (or anyone else) to expend further effort on this, for now.
R
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

sheldonisaac

the xerrs.log "flooding"

#563 Post by sheldonisaac »

I booted Slim Slacko 6 with pfix=ram

There is no pmusic at all.

But (I think) there was a /tmp/xerrs.log

I installed pmusic 5.25
pmusic -v
pMusic 5.2.5
Opened pmusic, played the Hoovers' track, the xerrs.log grew quickly.

Closed pmusic.

Deleted the xerrs.log

Repeated running pmusic; no flooding of xerrs.log.

Maybe I'd had the expanding xerrs.log all the time when booting normally, and hadn't noticed?

What all this signifies is beyond me.

Perhaps it indicates that the new SuLu is not the cause?

==========
UPDATE

I clean-booted the new SuLu2, and found no flooding with the pmusic (5.24).
Installed pmusic 5.25, still no flooding.
Changed desktop to jwm, and this apparently created a /tmp/xerrs.log

Ran pmusic, saw the xerrs.log growing while the music played.

rerwin

Lucid Pup 5.2.8.7 20161207 uploaded

#564 Post by rerwin »

I have uploaded version 20161207 of lupu and sulu2 as further betas which contain the changes I promised, but an older version of pmusic. They are here:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/dh45w4 ... 16_Release

Since I do not have the knowledge to troubleshoot the repeating debug line problem in the 5.x.y series, I fell back to the last release of the pmusic 4.x.y series, 4.7.4. I saw no problem with my simple test of merely starting it and seeing that the Hoosiers track appeared to play as expected.

I leave to others the job of making the 5.x.y series work with Lucid Pup, so I can get this release "out the door" by the end of the year.

Please report any further issues with this release. If there are none that can be fixed, I plan to declare 20161207 as final. So please tell me now. Thanks for your help and patience with this process.

For anyone willing to work on getting pmusic 5 to behave itself with Lucid Pup, before installing a pmusic pet package, use the 'menu > Setup > Remove builtin packages' tool to clear out pmusic (4.7.4). (My build process now updates the builtins directory (/root/.package/builtins) to include all of the packages added or replaced since the 5.2.8-005 version.) Some files will remain in the /usr/local/pmusic directory. They should be assessed as to whether they should also be removed. Then install a "5" package.
Richard

rerwin

#565 Post by rerwin »

keniv wrote:using Control > Desktop the menu gave an option to save your own custom desktop icon setup.
. . .
This option appears to be missing in the 2016 version. Is this part of the update or perhaps an oversight. Would it be possible to reinstate it or is this a lot of work?
I found the option you need, but not where you expected to find it.

I cannot explain why it is not in the PupControl Desktop tab, but find that it is also at:
menu > Desktop > Desktop settings > Desksetup Templates for Desk Icons.

However, that fails to operate, claiming that the PuppyPin is not active. But that claim is incorrect. There is a bug in the desksetup script that fails to detect that it is running. I have corrected that, and will add it to the next "final". In the meantime, you can fix /usr/local/desksetup/desksetup.sh:
  • Find line 12: ROXRUNNING=`ps|grep "/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin"|grep -v "grep"`
    Change the first part of it from:
    ROXRUNNING=`ps|
    to
    ROXRUNNING=`ps -FC ROX-Filer|
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Richard

FYI: PupControl was upgraded at the beginning of lupu 5.2.8.7. I my guess is that the "2015" screeny was from 5.2.8.6, although I have not verified that.

sheldonisaac

PupControl

#566 Post by sheldonisaac »

rerwin (in part) wrote:I found the option you need, but not where you expected to find it.

I cannot explain why it is not in the PupControl Desktop tab, but find that it is also at:

However, that fails to operate, claiming that the PuppyPin is not active. But that claim is incorrect.
I wonder whether PupControl 3.0 would help?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 157#467157

zigbert

#567 Post by zigbert »

I found a possible solution for xerrs.log and pMusic

/usr/local/pmusic/func_progressbar
line 9

Code: Select all

if LC_ALL=C grep -F 'kbits' $WORKDIR/ffmpeg_output; then
I don't get output to terminal if running grep in a subshell:

if [ "$(LC_ALL=C grep -F 'kbits' $WORKDIR/ffmpeg_output)" ]; then

sheldonisaac

xerrs.log and pMusic

#568 Post by sheldonisaac »

zigbert wrote:I found a possible solution for xerrs.log and pMusic

/usr/local/pmusic/func_progressbar
line 9

if LC_ALL=C grep -F 'kbits' $WORKDIR/ffmpeg_output; then
I don't get output to terminal if running grep in a subshell:

if [ "$(LC_ALL=C grep -F 'kbits' $WORKDIR/ffmpeg_output)" ]; then
I don't understand this stuff, but made the change.

No xerrs.log "flooding" with pmusic 5.25 under SuLu2-2016

Thank you.

zigbert

Re: xerrs.log and pMusic

#569 Post by zigbert »

sheldonisaac wrote:I don't understand this stuff, but made the change.
No need to :D
sheldonisaac wrote:No xerrs.log "flooding" with pmusic 5.25 under SuLu2-2016
Great. I will upload a 5.2.6...
Thanks a lot for reporting and testing.

Buddy

#570 Post by Buddy »

Just mentioning that the name of this distro may get a "association" facelift. You now cars like Tesla makes it sound great due to stealing the name Tesal...

Here comes the car LUCID
https://lucidmotors.com/car

Hooking up a bit for what i believe will be
Lucid 2017 ;-), might need just a little design makeover and maybe Lucid motors is the place to find inspiration?

Just an idea..
Buddy likes the Fatdog64 and the good old, yet new 5.2.8.X :D

keniv

#571 Post by keniv »

Hi rerwin,
I found the option you need, but not where you expected to find it.

Thanks for this. I did have a look around for for it but did not think to look there.
However, that fails to operate, claiming that the PuppyPin is not active. But that claim is incorrect. There is a bug in the desksetup script that fails to detect that it is running. I have corrected that, and will add it to the next "final". In the meantime, you can fix /usr/local/desksetup/desksetup.sh:
Find line 12: ROXRUNNING=`ps|grep "/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin"|grep -v "grep"`
Change the first part of it from:
ROXRUNNING=`ps|
to
ROXRUNNING=`ps -FC ROX-Filer|
I am using your latest version with a clean save file. I've made the change above and then saved my icon setup. Thanks for spending the time to sort this out.
I have found what might be another little problem. When I am trying different versions of the same puppy I usually give each a different back ground to easily tell them appart. I added a few backgrounds I like to /usr/share/backgrounds and removed some I never use. I then ran Nathan Wallpaper Setter and changed to one of the backgrounds. This worked. I then tried to change the background again but could not get Nathan to open from the menu. At this point I should have probably tried to run it from a terminal but I didn't think to do this. I tried restarting X and rebooting but this did not work. I finally went back to /usr/share/backgrounds and deleted the problem background file and rebooted. I then had no background but Nathan did work and let me set another backgound and is still working. I don't know whether this is a one off or whether others might notice it as well . The only thing different about the problem file is that it is over 300k which is bigger than most of those I use.

Regards,

Ken.

rerwin

#572 Post by rerwin »

zigbert,
Thanks for fixing the logging problem and providing pmusic 5.2.6. Now, I can use it instead of falling back to 4.7.4.

sheldonisaac,
Thanks for mentioning PupControl-3.0. I had assumed that radky had "moved on" to code for only the newer puppies, but now infer that his intent is to also support lupu and other older pups, so am working on adding 3.0 to the next release.

keniv,
PupControl-3.0 contains the desksetup script, but addresses the problem in a different way. I will see if that works -- right now, lupu and sulu appear to have different versions of 'ps', which is the root of the problem in desksetup. I will deal with that.
keniv wrote:I have found what might be another little problem. When I am trying different versions of the same puppy I usually give each a different back ground to easily tell them apart. I added a few backgrounds I like to /usr/share/backgrounds and removed some I never use. I then ran Nathan Wallpaper Setter and changed to one of the backgrounds. This worked. I then tried to change the background again but could not get Nathan to open from the menu. At this point I should have probably tried to run it from a terminal but I didn't think to do this. I tried restarting X and rebooting but this did not work. I finally went back to /usr/share/backgrounds and deleted the problem background file and rebooted. I then had no background but Nathan did work and let me set another background and is still working. I don't know whether this is a one off or whether others might notice it as well . The only thing different about the problem file is that it is over 300k which is bigger than most of those I use.
When something like this happens, the first thing I check is /tmp/xerrs.log, which might have a relevant error message at the end. If you try this again, look there for a clue. If there is none, maybe the script found something unexpected or unacceptable and simply exited. If you give me a link to where you got the large background, I could try it myself, too.
Richard

keniv

#573 Post by keniv »

Hi rerwin,
Thanks for your reply and the information on Pup Control. As for Nathan Wallpaper Setter I tested a total of 16 backrounds including two over 300K. Only the one that I described earlier gave any problems so I assume its to blame. It is marked as a jpg. Looking at it in "properties" also shows it as a jpg. I did notice it was the only background that dod not show a preview in Nathan. I cant remember where I got it from but I am pretty sure it caused the problem. Sorry for the false alarm.

Regards.

Ken.

zigbert

#574 Post by zigbert »

Snail

Sulu2 2016 beta

#575 Post by Snail »

This seems to be fine on my T400 laptop. Haven't tried a lot with so far though.

Can I use my savefolder for the last 2015 version with this one?