Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Atle

Any chances for Scribus 1.5 for Lucid?

#451 Post by Atle »

Hi there... I have made a request about getting the latest Scribus 1.5 for Puppy, but my wish is to release both Lucid as for 32 bits as its the overall best 32 bits Puppy..

Here is the details. I can do nothing but cross my fingers:-)

Atle

http://www.scribus.net/scribus-1-5-0-released/

(Edited) Not to stir up things, but i made the same request for this done with FatDog64 and JamesBond is doing it as we speak. :D

rswain

#452 Post by rswain »

Hi,
I posted this to the wrong topic (2012 version) sorry. I had 5.2.8.5 full hd installed on 2 machines, a desktop and a laptop. I upgraded both to 5.2.8.7 using the Installer upgrade option and lost sound. Running the alsa wizard does not create the dev sound devices (/dev/snd)

I upgraded by booting off the 5.2.8.7 iso CD downloaded from http://www.mediafire.com/download/ndza5 ... 150702.iso Ran the install process and selected Upgrade. Elected not to do the grub stuff.
Noticed that I had sound when booted from CD OK but not after upgrade on the hard drive full installation. Something not copied ?
I have spent a lot of time analysing and found the new rc.sysinit deletes /dev/snd as part of initialising. However they are not recreated. Copying devices from another machine restores sound after alsamixer is run to unmute etc.
Comment out the rm /dev/snd works around the problem. I think udev creates the devices but I cant find a rule to do it.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

hope this helps someone

RetroTechGuy

Re: Any chances for Scribus 1.5 for Lucid?

#453 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Atle wrote:Hi there... I have made a request about getting the latest Scribus 1.5 for Puppy, but my wish is to release both Lucid as for 32 bits as its the overall best 32 bits Puppy..

Here is the details. I can do nothing but cross my fingers:-)

Atle

http://www.scribus.net/scribus-1-5-0-released/

(Edited) Not to stir up things, but i made the same request for this done with FatDog64 and JamesBond is doing it as we speak. :D
Well, without doing any digging into it... Have you tried making a copy of your save file, then try installing the Debian ".deb" packages?

https://packages.debian.org/squeeze/scribus

What I do when attempting this is to (after making a copy of your save file, in case things go really badly!) install the main package, then run it from the command line.

It will report missing dependencies and whatnot, so add them one at a time and try it again. Eventually you may find the required packages to make the suite work.

Grab the i386 packages, as that should be your hardware...

Just guessing, I'll bet that you need the 3 packages labelled "Scribus" and probably the Python...
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Pelo

Lucid Puppy is too long time downloading !

#454 Post by Pelo »

Atle, happy to find somebody working with scribus... Pls give more info how to use it in chapter Documents.
PPM Ubuntu makes available version 1.4.0 only.
I spent three months learning editing a news-paper, we were four guys in the team, really it's not easy to do :) with all the machines needed and a professionnal software, i don't remember the name.
Puppy Developers :
Lucid Puppy is too long time downloading ! I shall try again.
super Lucid 528-006 is the one i hold as Sulu, on a pendrive.

Atle

#455 Post by Atle »

RetroTechGuy

I need a little time to test this as am right as we speak trying to get FatDog to be a 100% Scribus compatible. Thanks to JamesBond I was able to get it up and running.

There are still a few issues to resolve, but those are minors.

So yes, Lucid is next out as its my favoritt 32 bits Puppy and probably still the best.

But i have a learning process to go trough and i will await a little like untill next week before i embark on getting this Scribus 1.5 up and running for Lucid, even if it takes some time and back and forwards.

But I think it might just be out of my league to get scribus up and running just like that. It took some very nice and handy help from JamesBond to get it in his FatDog.

But despite that... hell... lets try...

Pelo

Its a lot more easy if you start of with a template. The idea here is to bring a one stop shop for producing newspapers. I limit it to newspapers, cause that is what main stream figures is the truth and the current state of the press i horrible.

There will be nothing added to the doc part of this site. Everything will be bundled into the OS in it self. And off course it shall be free.

I just want to make both Lucid and Fatdog to cover the entire hardware spectre

LazY Puppy

#456 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

When booting lupusuper4-5.2.8.6-k3.9.9-20140109.iso or lupusuper4-5.2.8.7-k3.9.9-20141203.iso it stops booting to let the user choose a keyboard layout. I want to set up the keyboard layout from within my config file, so I need to disable this.

Where is this called / where to disable this?
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#457 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ok,

I have checked this again.

The old Lucid 5.2.8 004 boots straight into the graphical X desktop.

The above (previous post) mentioned later versions of Lucid Puppy won't do that. The user is forced to enter a keyboard layout at the prompt (title of dialog is Country Setup). After choosing keyboard layout it boots into graphical X desktop.

I want to get this back to the old Lucid 5.2.8 004 behavior, but could not find where are those changes have been made. Already searched some files like /etc/profile /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit rc.country rc.local and also the init script from initrd. Replacing some of these files by those from Lucid 5.2.8 004 seemed not to change anything.

So what did the developers change and where are these changes to find?

Thanks.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

partsman

#458 Post by partsman »

LazY Puppy Wrote:
The old Lucid 5.2.8 004 boots straight into the graphical X desktop.

The above (previous post) mentioned later versions of Lucid Puppy won't do that. The user is forced to enter a keyboard layout at the prompt (title of dialog is Country Setup). After choosing keyboard layout it boots into graphical X desktop.

I want to get this back to the old Lucid 5.2.8 004 behavior, but could not find where are those changes have been made.
IDK As I am not familiar with udev events but rerwin was playing with udev events in THD but I am not sure about in super !
I am not even sure if it has anything to do with what your after :shock:
But might be worth asking him :)
Also good to see you developing again ! :D
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

LazY Puppy

#459 Post by LazY Puppy »

partsman wrote:IDK As I am not familiar with udev events but rerwin was playing with udev events in THD but I am not sure about in super !
I am not even sure if it has anything to do with what your after :shock:
But might be worth asking him :)
Already done. He'd recommended to do a diff on the extracted sfs of both Lucid version. I'm sure this will return a huge list of differences and I will get lost in there. So, unfortunately I just have to exclude Lucid from my new T.O.P.L.E.S.S. and maybe doing the diff much much later - if there will be any true need.
partsman wrote:Also good to see you developing again ! :D
Thanks, though I didn't really stop developing. Just got spare time since I'm back to do some music. Also lost my GPRS Mobile Modem and my favorite internet cafe has turned now into a Turkish Cafe, so I was not really able to visit and to work on the forum. Now I got a new GPRS Mobile Modem - unfortunately not recognized and/or not able to connect to the web anymore in some of those newer Puppies.
RSH

Karl Godt

#460 Post by Karl Godt »

rc.sysinit Lupu-511:

Code: Select all

#recognise keyboard...
#echo -n ' keyboard' >/dev/console
#/etc/rc.d/rc.country ;STATUS=$((STATUS+$?)) #this asks for keyboard layout.
profile:

exec xwin
xwin:

if [ ! -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf ];then
  rm -f /etc/.XLOADED 2> /dev/null #not necessary, precaution.
  #1st dialog offers to use Xvesa...
  /usr/sbin/xorgwizard
xorgwizard:

#!/bin/sh

cp -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf0 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
echo '' >> /etc/X11/xorg.conf

ddcprobe >/tmp/ddcprobe.txt
#weird (ddcprobe is very weird), on some hardware, edid monitor probe fails
#every alternate run of ddcprobe...
case "`cat /tmp/ddcprobe.txt`" in *edidfail*)
 sleep 1
 ddcprobe >/tmp/ddcprobe.txt
 ;;
esac

PROFILECHIP="`grep -m1 '^oem: ' /tmp/ddcprobe.txt | cut -f 2-4 -d ' ' | tr ' ' '_' | sed -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/_/g'`"
PROFILEMONITOR="`grep '^monitorid: ' /tmp/ddcprobe.txt | head -n 1 | cut -f 2 -d ':' | tr -d ' ' | sed -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/_/g'`"
[ "$PROFILEMONITOR" = "" ] && PROFILEMONITOR="`grep '^monitorname: ' /tmp/ddcprobe.txt | head -n 1 | cut -f 2 -d ':' | tr -d ' ' | sed -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/_/g'`"
[ "$PROFILEMONITOR" = "" ] && PROFILEMONITOR="`grep '^monitorrange: ' /tmp/ddcprobe.txt | head -n 1 | cut -f 2 -d ':' | tr -d ' ' | sed -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/_/g'`"
[ "$PROFILEMONITOR" = "" ] && PROFILEMONITOR="`grep '^manufacture: ' /tmp/ddcprobe.txt | tail -n 1 | cut -f 2 -d ':' | tr -d ' ' | sed -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/_/g'`"

echo "#PuppyHardwareProfile=${PROFILECHIP}${PROFILEMONITOR}" >> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
#create a copy of xorg.conf with the profile in the filename...
cp -af /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.${PROFILECHIP}${PROFILEMONITOR}

mv /usr/sbin/xorg-setup /usr/sbin/xorgwizard
mv /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/displaylink_drv.so /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/displaylink_drv.so.not
Note the line with xorg-setup .
In a system you will not find the original xorgwizard code anymore, because this lupu "xorgwizard" stub gets replaced by the "real xorgwizard" renamed xorg-setup in the .sfs .
I want to get this back to the old Lucid 5.2.8 004 behavior, but could not find where are those changes have been made.
Technically playdazs used the feature we know today : Provide a stub xorg.conf by using xorg.conf0 as is and yust start Xorg .
Today is a bit different, since the code does not use the xorg.conf0 file, but the xorg.conf provided by Xorg -configure with generic modifications.

cp -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf0 /etc/X11/xorg.conf 
could be written as

Xorg -configure
mv -f /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Just exit to prompt and run Xorg -configure .
Then run xwin again and open /root/xorg.conf.new in geany and take a look .
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

partsman

#461 Post by partsman »

Technically playdazs used the feature we know today : Provide a stub xorg.conf by using xorg.conf0 as is and yust start Xorg .
Today is a bit different, since the code does not use the xorg.conf0 file, but the xorg.conf provided by Xorg -configure with generic modifications.
So I assume this is done to benefit the user :?

This is to help automatically configure xorg then ?

Just trying to understand the benefit of doing this :)

Just to help reason the madness in my own mind ! :lol:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

Karl Godt

#462 Post by Karl Godt »

Xorg -configure creates a not so interesting xorg.conf.new file .

Some xorg drivers do not write a really everything Device Section .
Mainly missing the different video output devices
like « Option monitor-LVDS1 "Monitor0" »

Section "Device"
         Driver "intel"
         Option "monitor-LVDS" "Laptop FooBar Internal Display"
         Option "monitor-VGA" "Some Random CRT"
       EndSection
from man 4 intel manualpage intel_drv.so v.2.5.0

Xorg.0.log:

[   355.122] (II) intel(0): Output LVDS1 connected
[   355.122] (EE) intel(0): Output LVDS1 enabled but has no modes
[    40.353] (II) intel(0): Output LVDS1 using monitor section Monitor0

And the Screen Section or Mode Section do not contain any resolution and Modeline entries,
though in /var/log/Xorg.0.log contained .

Seems that the freedesktop developers are not interested in the -configure option,
and just make adjustments to auto tools , c library, kernel and hardware changes .

Bottom line is : Let Xorg just start without any xorg.conf or xorg.conf.d/*.conf files and let Xorg do
it's thing and rely on good luck !

Xorg is evil to compile since it does not come in a huge source tarball that includes everything inclusive MESA/GL like the linux kernel,
to just do a make menuconfig and select MESA support and every driver and xapp and such.

Xorg is split in several dozen if not hundreds source tarballs and they all have to be each downloaded,
untar'ed and configured each for themselves.
I had done that for Xorg 1.7.7, 1.8.2, 1.9.5 and 1.10.6 two years ago :

X.Org X Server 1.10.6
Build Date: 12 November 2013  06:42:35PM
And am fed up with it !
I actually "hate" Xorg since then !
And there are no alternative Xdisplay servers available than the ones from freedesktop.org it seems for GNU/Linux .. :evil:

Karl Godt

#463 Post by Karl Godt »

And /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ was invented in Xorg 1.8 (I think) , so does not apply to Lucid Puppy Xorg 1.7.6 .
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

don922

Pdfedit will not work!!!

#464 Post by don922 »

I am using lupu 528.7 of July, 2015......

I have installed Pdfedit-0.4.3-Lucid together with qt-3.3.8.

Pdfedit will not run from the menu entry.

I tried to run Pdfedit from the terminal, but I get the following message in the terminal
# pdfedit
pdfedit: error while loading shared libraries: libpng.so.3:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#
I know that I am confused about how libpng.so.3 is created and I cannot find the proper files to create the link.

What has happened?

How can I get Pdfedit to work properly in lupu 528.7 of July, 2015?
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

rerwin

#465 Post by rerwin »

don922,
Sorry to take so long to respond to your inquiry. I just now noticed it.

I found a possible solution described here:
08-27-2013, 05:19 PM #4
John VV
LQ Muse

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

just how OLD is that version of xvidcap is this
OpenSUSE 12.3 has installed
libpng15.so.15.13.0
libpng14.so.14.11.0
libpng12.so.0.50.0

now sometimes the libpng 12b was called 13 and some people shortened it to 3

a "hack" that might work is to link libpng 14 to "3"
-- 64 bit
Code:

su -
ln -s /usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14.11.0 /usr/lib64/libpng.so.3

Last edited by John VV; 08-28-2013 at 12:13 AM.
americast
<snipped>
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
just change "lib64" to " lib"

Thanx.... it worked!
So, for Lucid Pup I suggest trying the command:

ln -s libpng14.so.14 /usr/lib/libpng.so.3
Or in ROX, get into /usr/lib, right click on libpng14.so.14 and make a relative link named libpng.so.3. (Libpng14.so.14 is a link to libpng14.so.14.12.0.)

I have not tried this, but it might work.
Richard

EDIT:
I checked precise retro to see how it handles libpng.so.3. It is a link to /lib/libpng12.so.0. That implies that the Lucid link should be:

ln -s libpng12.so /usr/lib/libpng.so.3
Libpng12.so is a link to /lib/libpng12.so.0.
Try this solution first.

Please report your results, because I would like to add the successful fix to the next release of 5.2.8.7.
Richard

don922

Could not get Pdfedit to work

#466 Post by don922 »

I have tried several different links and I have not been able to get Pdfedit to work in lupu528.7.

Pdfedit is the most difficult Puppy program I have ever tried to use. It continually crashed and I could not get to run properly. The documentation for Pfdedit is not very helpful to me. I gave up trying to use the program......

Semme

#467 Post by Semme »

Try this baby Don, the Wary SFS.. Runs fine for me aboard 528.

OR, continuing with Richards suggestion, I'm pretty sure this would work if his line doesn't:

ln -s /lib/libpng12.so.0 /usr/lib/libpng.so.3
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

don922

Could not get Pdfedit to work

#468 Post by don922 »

I finally used PDF Buddy on the internet to fill in a form which was a pdf. Was able to complete the form I needed in short order. PDF Buddy is very straight forward and easy to learn. It costs, but I was able to do what I had to under their "free" trial.

I will try Master Pdf Editor next time I have to do work with a pdf.

pelican

#469 Post by pelican »

I have a 10 year old Samsung P30 laptop, Pentium M Centrino 1.60GHz, nonpae, 774 MB ram, 40GB HDD. Installed with winXP but not used for some years now.

Tried setting it up for light browsing etc for an elderly relative. Struggled through several lightweight linux distros including a few Puppy's but none worked exactly as I wanted ... until I found Lucid 5.2.8.

I'm really happy with 528.005 as a full install booting from the HDD ... but would prefer 5.2.8.7-20150702.

However strangely (to me anyway) 5.2.8.7-20150702 easily boots from a USB drive and from DVD but it fails to boot as a full install on the HDD. On the HDD it starts to boot OK and gets down to the line "Recognizing media devices ... optical input done" and then it hangs at "#_" instead of moving on to "Starting X ... etc" as it does when booting 528.005.

My knowledge is limited and I'd be grateful for any advice on why it is 528.005 boots from the HDD and 5.2.8.7-20150702 doesn't, even though 5.2.8.7-20150702 boots OK from USB or DVD. My downloaded iso checks OK with MD5.

sheldonisaac

full install

#470 Post by sheldonisaac »

pelican (in part) wrote:However strangely (to me anyway) 5.2.8.7-20150702 easily boots from a USB drive and from DVD but it fails to boot as a CmJsZWZvcmUKCkRlc2NyaXB0aW9uOiBCYW5xdWV0LTEtanVsaWUud2FubmVyQGdtYWkuY29tICwg
SXRlbSM6ICBCYW5xdWV0JDM1IEp1bGllIFdhbm5lcgoKYmxhZnRlcgo=on the HDD. On the HDD it starts to boot OK and gets down to the line "Recognizing media devices ... optical input done" and then it hangs at "#_" instead of moving on to "Starting X ... etc" as it does when booting 528.005.
pelican, I just downloaded lupusuper1-5.2.8.7-k3.0.25-20150614.iso
I've not done full install of any Puppys that I can recall, but I'll try it and report.
This computer is somewhat newer, but I have an older one to try it on later.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P