Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
otropogo

sulu4 boots with renamed lupu-save.2fs from Lupuplus528-5

#421 Post by otropogo »

I just used Rufus flash installer to install sulu4 to a525MB CF card. It booted fine, So then I copied the sfs file to my hard drive, renamed the original on the CF card *.bak, and rebooted again. That worked too, but much faster.

Then I renamed two lupuplus528-5 2fs files from their native lupusave to sulusave.

I tried the smaller, barebones one made a long time ago and with lower display resolution, first. And it loaded without any issues.

I then tried the one currently in use (by my partner - I haven't run Lupu for the past year, because I didn't think it could run on my UEFI BIOS PC).

It was set for higher resolution, and a different graphic controller, and contains most of my favourite pets, xfprot, ufraw, rawstation, and the working ntfs-3g driver..

I had some trouble configuring the display with xorgwizard, which didn't recognize my display/monitor combination, and offered me a much reduced resolution, and then still failed to work when I chose its approved combinations (1280x1024 24 bit instead of the 1680x1050 32bit I've been using with the Intel gpu).

But after a few reboots, before I had a chance to try all the really low resolutions, it loaded the desktop at 1280x1024 and 24bits, IIRC, without my having to do anything more.

I then tried running my favourite apps, and was very happy to find that xfprot still works, and immediately went and downloaded the latest sigs file. Rawstudio works also, allowing me to view and edit my RAW images.

The disappointment was UFRaw, which I had installed both as a standalone and plug-in for Gimp. Gimp reported it was broken. And I couldn't get it to run standalone either. I wonder why?

There was one other disturbing signal - a popup telling me to unstall "old" versions updated in sulu4. Most of these were old versions of pburn which refused to uninstall, and apparently accumulated (unless sulu is just seeing ghosts). I'll gladly remove them if I can.

But one item of great cocern is the ntfs-3g driver, circa 2012, which I finally managed to get installed to overcome an ntfs "read only issue" with the original driver.

Sulu wants me to uninstall it and replace it with a version from 2010, and I'm worried about the results.

I've uploaded the screen save of the popup

Suggestions?

PS. I can't recall at the moment who rolled UFRaw into a pet for me way back when. But I'd sure appreciate it if you could do it again.

I noted an announcement recently that a new free linux AV app is being released, and will try to find out more about that.

ClamAV seems to be in revival, and a pet for that and its gui , ckamTK, might be useful.

I recently installed clamAV "successfully" in Lighthouse64, but there's no gui, and I have no idea how to configure or run it, or what, if anything, it's doing.

Given the poverty of the Slackware repositories, I can't understand why "bleeding edge" Puppies would want to rely on them for their apps and updates.
Attachments
uninstalllist.jpg
(113.75 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

rerwin

#422 Post by rerwin »

otropogo,
Thanks for reporting your experience with upgrading to sulu4. You can ignore the ntfs-3g recommendation because it is based on the difference in version identifier. "3g_" appears to be later than "3g-", so the year is ignored. The name-version formats being different make the comparison invalid.

For the pburns, use the pburn....files listing in /root/.packages to find the listed files in /initrd/pup_rw/ and remove them from there, so that the new versions on /initrd/pup_ro2 are seen and used. Then delete the old pburn lines in user-installed-packages, as well as any old pburn....files files.

You can uninstall the pmusic_upgrade package. When only the ntfs package shows up on reboot, you can tell it to not check any more.

Please tell me more about the 2012 verson of ntfs-3g, as I would like to consider it for the next release of lupu/sulu. Please test it as much as you can, to be sure there are no ugly surprises. Could you give me a link to it, or to the posting where it is provided? TIA
Richard

otropogo

#423 Post by otropogo »

rerwin wrote:otropogo,
Please tell me more about the 2012 verson of ntfs-3g, as I would like to consider it for the next release of lupu/sulu. ... Could you give me a link to it, or to the posting where it is provided? TIA
Richard
playdayz wrote:
Thanks once again shinobar.

otropogo, shinobar meant that the problem I was seeing with newer versions of ntfs-3g required the /bin/mount fix he described. And sure enough, I have compiled the full version of the latest ntfs-3g 2012.1.15 (on Lupu Plus Libre) and it is working for me without the error message.
found at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 15807de851

There's some discussion of the specific issue on that page. Apparently the write problem only surfaced when writing to an external ntfs drive connected via pci/USB3.0. A google search of
ntfs-3G murga-linux
turned up a number of command line configuration fixes for other instances of ntfs-3g write issues, but when it occurs in the installer (as in Lighthouse64, in my most recent experience) while trying to write a 2fs save to hdd, it is fatal, especially for a newbie.

BTW, various posts on this forum and elsewhere explain the use of older versions of ntfs-3G by saying there was corruption of the more recent versions.

But my research suggested that a crippled version was deliberately adopted by some major distros for reasons that were never quite clear to me. It took quite a lot of searching to find a working version post 2010. I believe I found one from 2011 before shinobar rolled the pet above. HTH

otropogo

#424 Post by otropogo »

rerwin wrote:otropogo,

For the pburns, use the pburn....files listing in /root/.packages to find the listed files in /initrd/pup_rw/ and remove them from there, so that the new versions on /initrd/pup_ro2 are seen and used. Then delete the old pburn lines in user-installed-packages, as well as any old pburn....files files.

You can uninstall the pmusic_upgrade package. When only the ntfs package shows up on reboot, you can tell it to not check any more.
Hi Richard,

As indicated by the four pupsnaps uploaded, I couldn't find the old packages in initrd/pup_rw to delete them, nor the new ones in /initrd/pup_ro2.

Don't want to start deleting stuff willy nilly...what do you suggest I do next?

PS. when I open pburn, it shows v.3.7.7.

IIRC, this is because I unstalled a version that didn't work, thought (from the ppm list that I could revert to a previous version, but ended up with only the shipped version of lupuplus528-5.

PS. I've never been able to delete installations from the PPM installed list. So all kinds of versions of seamonkey and other apps that that didn't work , didn't install right, or became corrupted in use remain listed there. Any idea how to clean up that mess?
Attachments
root_.packages.jpg
(42.17 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
intrd_pup_rw.jpg
(23.46 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
initrd_pup_ro2.jpg
(7.26 KiB) Downloaded 1338 times
intrd-pup_rw-initrd_pup_rw.jpg
(4.49 KiB) Downloaded 1352 times

otropogo

shutdown/reboot problem with sulu4 on usbflash

#425 Post by otropogo »

When I try to reboot or shut down from sulu4 installed on usbflash (but running from sfs and 2fs files onhdd), the system always locks up.

I'm running on a laptop with an external keyboard and mouse connected via USB (on a USB3.0 hub), which work normally until that point. But once the shutdown starts, I end up with a black screen of death with a blinking cursor, and Ctl-ALT-Del no longer works from the usb keyboard.

I have to open up the laptop (I usually run with it closed to conserve battery and internal display life, as well as lowering operating temperature -using an external DVI monitor) and hold down the power button to shut down. Then I have to hold it down again to reboot.

It's awkward, time consuming, and I'm worried about wearing out my power button.

Strangely, neither MintPup nor DebianDog, for all their other defects, present this issue. I could always reboot them with CTL-ATL-DEL from the usb keyboard.

Has anyone else experienced this shutdown problem?

otropogo

any way to trim a sulusave 2fs file?

#426 Post by otropogo »

My old lupusave file, now transformed into a sulusave 2fs is at 2.2GB with only a few hundred MB of "free space".

I have no idea what could be taking up this space. My guess is that it's copies of Seamonkey and other apps that petget failed to uninstall over the years despite reporting that it had (they're all still showing in the "installed" list, just not working).

Is there a recipe for doing this safely somewhere in the forum?

futwerk

#427 Post by futwerk »

new background.
Attachments
lucidm4.jpg
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/x4v77bi1p58ox/puppy2013
(51.72 KiB) Downloaded 1086 times

saintless

#428 Post by saintless »

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread post.

otropogo

BootManagerlists

#429 Post by otropogo »

Have accessed Boot Manager finally to see what's going on with the kernel modules, and am no wiser. So have taken pupsnaps of the lists in the hope they will make sense to others on the thread.

Looking at the preferences list, it seems to me that most of the entries are for ethernet controllers, but it's not clear to me that any of them match my current hardware. And I don't remember how to check that.
Attachments
blacklistB819_15.jpg
(51.95 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
blacklistA819_15.jpg
(54.15 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
kernelmodules819_15.jpg
(21.61 KiB) Downloaded 1033 times

otropogo

new and old apps failing

#430 Post by otropogo »

Just ran some tests on old apps brought over from Lupuplus5.2.8-5, where they worked, into sulu4.

1. xfprot - the update function appears to work, according to the terminal display and time of download.

However, scans don't seem to work. There's no report, either of suspicious files, nor even when "list all files scanned" is ticked. There's no evidence that any scanning is going on at all. A problem I've never encountered before.

2. UFRaw, a RAW file editor/viewer that in Lupu worked both standalone and as a plug-in for GIMP, simply closes when directed to open a Nikon NEF file. When GIMP is used to open such a file, GIMP advises shutting down before data is damaged by a "broken UFRAW"

3. Rawstudio, OTOH, seems to function just as it did in Lupu. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as a GIMP plugin.

I searched for UFRAW and XFPROT with the Pet Package Manager, but found only Fotoxx-8.7-Lucid. I installed it just to see whether it would work, and it does. So it's a mystery why the other older UFRAW pets no longer work, or indeed, why they don't show up in any of the repositories.

I also tried running GIMP again on an NEF file, in case the new download had somehow fixed the UFRAW plugin problem - but no cigar.

4. I looked for the ClamAV virus scanner, and found it and its dependencies on the ubuntu site. I downloaded everything, allowed a mild trim (non-English docs, and development material), and got a popup advising me that the dependency core-utils upstart-job is missing.

I looked for clamav in the menus, but couldn't find any entry. I tried typing

Code: Select all

clamav
in a terminal, but got
command not found
However, I got the same missing dependency popup after installing fotoxx-8.7, and it seems to run, although not very well - the images are more like thumbprints.
Attachments
Fotoxx-8.7.jpg
(9.3 KiB) Downloaded 1017 times
ClamAV_missing_dependencies.jpg
(12.19 KiB) Downloaded 1024 times

Mayou

#431 Post by Mayou »

It's a long time for revitalized Lucid...
Attachments
5287.jpg
(17.69 KiB) Downloaded 914 times

RetroTechGuy

#432 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Mayou wrote:It's a long time for revitalized Lucid...
Depending on what you're currently running, it will be worth it... :-)

I find that it tends to have a "lighter touch" than some of the older versions...
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Blue76Bay

Firefox 40 Lucid-5.2.8.7

#433 Post by Blue76Bay »

Thank you to all concerned for the Lucid update to 5.2.8.7. I run an old Compaq NC8000 and it runs great. I am doing a course and the web site I do practice exams on requires Firefox 34 or higher. I tried the one that comes with Lucid (I think it is Firefox 20) but some content in the exams did not display. I downloaded the latest Firefox 40 (firefox-40.0.2.tar.bz2) and extracted it to a “firefox

I-Dont-Know

5.2x versions

#434 Post by I-Dont-Know »

For a friend, unable to afford a new computer for her son,
This week I was able to take her messed up Win XP laptop and install your upgraded 5.28x Puppy Distro.

She is very happy and grateful for having a laptop fully able to enable her son to keep up with his homework with a fully functional laptop.

I have used your 5.28x distro work on other friends' old XP computers enabling them to keep their computers working. And they are very very happy with them.

I just wanted to express my gratification to you for your work.
There are at least 3 people who now have fully functional computers working in their homes getting work done and saving them money they don't have.

Many thanks,
Mike

RetroTechGuy

Re: Firefox 40 Lucid-5.2.8.7

#435 Post by RetroTechGuy »

[quote="Blue76Bay"]Thank you to all concerned for the Lucid update to 5.2.8.7. I run an old Compaq NC8000 and it runs great. I am doing a course and the web site I do practice exams on requires Firefox 34 or higher. I tried the one that comes with Lucid (I think it is Firefox 20) but some content in the exams did not display. I downloaded the latest Firefox 40 (firefox-40.0.2.tar.bz2) and extracted it to a “firefox

mavrothal

#436 Post by mavrothal »

I was trying to get some lucid packages from the Lucid Ubuntu repo and PPM did not work after I had fixed the repo location.
Turns out that current lucid packages need a version of tar not in Lucid( :shock: ). Getting tar 1.26 from precise worked fine (needs 1.23+ to work)
While I was looking at the old lucid repos I realized there is also a backports repo so I also modified 0setup to get these databases too and merge them with original and updates.

And then made all these to a pet ( :D ) that should make your PPM in Lucid to be able to find, download and install Ubuntu packages again.
Just install the pet, open PPM and update the databases, restart PPM and you should be good to go.

BTW, there is no sign of rerwin a couple of months now. Any news? Is he OK?
Attachments
PPM_fix-1.pet
(156.9 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

sheldonisaac

PPM_fix-1.pet

#437 Post by sheldonisaac »

mavrothal(in part) wrote:And then made all these to a pet that should make your PPM in Lucid to be able to find, download and install Ubuntu packages again.
Just install the pet, open PPM and update the databases, restart PPM and you should be good to go.
Many thanks, mavrothal. I'm in unicorn just now, but have downloaded your pet, and will install it in LuPu soon.

Thanks again,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

rerwin

#438 Post by rerwin »

mavrothal,
Thank you very much for updating the repos and PPM. That program will be in the next lupu.

Although I have been silent in this thread, I have been well and consumed with a project to create an all-around "get_java" tool that includes a java interface to go into all puppies, to handle creation and installation of Java PET and SFS files for both JRE and JDK. Those files need only the content of the Java download - all the added interfacing is done by the new puppy interface (javaif).

In order to avoid issuing too-frequent updates to lupu, I am taking a break from that but am keeping aware of updated packages to go into the next release in a few months.

Once I post the new get_java and javaif packages, I hope to collect the many small fixes I have made in lupu to submit them to woof-CE. But I need to set up my environment for packaging the fixes for submission. I will consult the explanation you posted awhile ago on how to do that.

Regarding the version of tar in lupu: Although the woof-installed-packages file shows tar to be version 1.22-2, beginning with lupu-5.2.8.7-20150520 the executable is replaced by 1.26 from precise. Apparently I did not make pet of it, so there is no newer entry for it. I now have concocted a pet with the right pet_specs info, to go in next time. So, no one should need to actually copy the Precise version of tar, if using lupu 20150520 or later.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 18 Oct 2015, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

RetroTechGuy

#439 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Success report!

My old Win7 laptop (HP) was exhibiting hardware issues (USB ports dropping offline as the machine runs for a while -- happens under both Win7 and Sulu1 -- so it's not OS related).

Anyway, I picked up a Dell Latitude E5400 for almost nothing, Win7 Pro, 4GB RAM, smallish HDD (which is fine, since it will encourage me to store things on an external, as I should anyway). Looks virtually unused -- $120. :-) :D :shock:

I've been running a goofy dual-boot -- didn't modify the boot sequence, other than to inject a bootable SD card in and drop files on C:\Sulu

I moved my existing system over to the new laptop. Discovered that it can't apparently boot from the SD (the SD was nice, since it doesn't protrude, nor use a USB slot). So I reinstalled the boot parts onto a USB flash, and brought it up.

Sulu1 worked fine, except that the internal wireless was not supported (fortunately I have accumulated several USB wireless dongles, so I can fix things).

So I upgraded to Sulu2, to get the newer kernel. As you can see, the wireless is working under this.

Thanks Rerwin (and anyone else who is involved in Lupu maintenance).!

End of report! Now I can see if a good baking in the oven will repair what I suspect to be a crack in the MB (or perhaps fractured solder for the USB power -- I'll do a visual first ;-) ).

Oh, I do have one question. On my previous system, I had been running the battery monitor under Fbpanel. My battery is showing 146% charge -- I assume that there is a file that stored previous battery capacity, which needs to be reset. Where would that be hidden?

starhawk

#440 Post by starhawk »

Your USB problem sounds to me like a textbook thermal issue. Replace the thermal interface material under the southbridge and all should be well... you'll probably want to do the same for northbridge and CPU while you're in there...

I can send you instructions if you PM me -- they're rather a bit lengthy for what really would be an off-topic post in this thread... really a case of "star can't do words well" -- I'm a visual person, so it takes me quite a challenge for what would make a very short YouTube video or somesuch (alas, my camcorder is 'electric potato' quality :lol: so a video is not to be!). Replacing the thermal paste (etc) is about a one-hour job or so (if you've taken the laptop apart a lot, it's closer to a half hour), but the actual replacement is only maybe five minutes. Maybe. Closer to half that, if the old paste is accommodating...