Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
KEubus

Re: New set of lupu... 5.2.8.7 disk image (ISO) files - 20150611

#406 Post by KEubus »

[quote="rerwin"]I have begun uploading another 2015 version of Lucid Pup 5.2.8.7. The lupu (k2.6.33.2) set is in place. The remaining sets will be built and uploaded soon.

Here is the link to the 5.2.8.7 ISO-file directory -- please use the files dated with 20150611:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/y3rkzh ... es-5.2.8.7

Hello Richard
I appreciate your work on lupu/sulu as an lucid-user
I visited the ISO-download link
and downloaded
lupusuper4 (kernel from pemasu's upup raring)
which devx and kernelsources should I use

greetings
K.Eubus

rerwin

#407 Post by rerwin »

KEubus,
Thanks for upgrading. Just be sure to use the latest lupuper4, 20150702.

The source and devx files are in "Supplementary SFS Files > Development -- here are the links to what you need.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h29hu ... 9-upup.sfs
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v8hhy ... _528-4.sfs

The same devx file is used for all lupus. If it does not get recognized, just rename it to sulu_devx_004-4.
Richard

KEubus

#408 Post by KEubus »

rerwin wrote:KEubus,

The source and devx files are in "Supplementary SFS Files > Development -- here are the links to what you need.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/h29hu ... 9-upup.sfs
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v8hhy ... _528-4.sfs

The same devx file is used for all lupus. If it does not get recognized, just rename it to sulu_devx_004-4.
Richard
Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for this fast reply

Thanks for upgrading. Just be sure to use the latest lupuper4, 20150702.

Yes, I' m using the lupuper4, 20150702 version

your lupuper4 works flawless in my frugal install
Computer- Packard BELL Easynote
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz
Memory : 2983MB (967MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine

lupuper4 recognised and loaded my sulu2-savefile without a problem
I just need to rebuild my dekstop

SCANNIN & PRINTING
As in sulu2 (lupusuper2-5286-k3248-20140109-iso_LTS2017)
I'm struggling to get my new Brother MFC 7360N working

# sane-find-scanner
reported
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04f9, product=0x0270) at libusb:001:007

# scanimage -L
No scanners were identified.
and so
xsane didnot find a device

as PRINT-result was reported
"Empty print file!"

Greetings
KEubus

rerwin

Java Runtime SFS file Updated - jre-1.8u51

#409 Post by rerwin »

When I used a web site today that requires Java, I found that the version in Lucid Pup is not sufficient. Java was upgraded on July 10 and has not yet been provided in the forum as an sfs file. So, I "rolled my own."

Actually, I used gjuhasz's jre-1.8u45-i586.sfs as a basis, downloaded the new jre tarball from the Java website, substituted the content for the old jre-1.8u45 directory, updated the "java" link and renamed the build directory to jre-1.8u51-i586-lucid.sfs, to avoid conflicting with his naming convention.

I used the lupu version of dir2sfs to make the SFS file, after correcting the name used to invoke the file list generator, sfs_filelist (instead of its early name, dir2sfs-make_file_list).

When I used it with the site that flagged the version problem, the site worked as expected! With that confirmation, I uploaded the SFS file to my repo, for user replacement of jre-1.8u45-i586.sfs.

Although the file name implies usability for Lucid Pup, the new SFS file should work for any puppy. Download it from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7tut8 ... -lucid.sfs
md5sum: 9a154bd8b826e9cace79dcc0a57209e2 jre-1.8u51-i586-lucid.sfs

ICPUG

#410 Post by ICPUG »

Just like to say thanks for the latest upgrade. I've downloaded and setup the latest lupusuper2plus as a frugal install.

Pleased to see that rerwin acted on my suggestion that Dillo be updated to enable browsing of https pages. Seems to work OK with wikipedia.

One thing I noticed with this latest version is that once I had setup the libreoffice and jave sfs files the desktop icons still called up Abiword and Gnumeric. Perhaps I have to perform the steps in rerwin's post of the 4th July (which I have just read!).

otropogo

UEFI support?

#411 Post by otropogo »

I had to stop using Lupuplus more than I year ago, when I was forced to give up all my old PCs for a single 64-bit UEFI laptop. Since then Knoppix is the only Linux I've been able to boot, but it soon stopped working, and there's effectively no support available for Knoppix, so I've ended up struggling with Win8.x instead.

I looked at FatDog64 hopefully, when a recent version was tweaked to boot with UEFI, but that was superseded by a later version ( 700 and 701) in which the UEFI project seems to have been abandoned.

So now I'm looking hopefully at Mint 7.02 Cinnamon, because the hopes of a better Windows seem to have been dashed with Windows 10, which promises only total slavery to Window Updates. But I can't recall how to do an install to USB flash directly from the ISO under windows, and the UEFI BIOS fails to detect any OS on the burner.

Other than that, I can only hope that Klaus Knopper will finally hit a home run and give us a distro that will actually work for a year to two. But each year, the downloadable version comes out later, and seems ever more flawed. On the current one, it's synaptic that doesn't work, making it impossible to install packets through the gui. Some previous versions had two packet installers (the Resource Center was one, IIRC) so they could take turns failing...
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

muggins

#412 Post by muggins »

hello otropogo,

does the uefi bios allow legacy boot?

otropogo

#413 Post by otropogo »

muggins wrote:hello otropogo,

does the uefi bios allow legacy boot?
Hi Muggins. Not sure, you have to disable secure boot, IIRC. How does legacy boot show up on the Bios pages?

I do know that this particular AMI BIOS is flakey.

You can set the boot priority to UEFI generic (which is how the Knoppix USB flash installation shows up) in the boot menu, then "save and exit" until you're blue in the face, but it will always boot from Windows. And if you go immediately back into the BIOS after saving and exiting, you'll see why. The BIOS didn't save the settings, Windows is back in position number 1. I have no idea how one would do a recovery or reinstall of Windows on this system.

So there's no point in even bothering to put UEFI boot in boot position number 1. The ONLY way to boot from USB is to go to the Save&Exit Menu and use the boot override option (cursor on UEFI Generic and CR).

And if I try to reboot from within Knoppix, I can't even access the BIOS. In that case, Windows always starts up first, I have to wait for it to load, then restart, and only then can I do the trick above...

There's an apparent option to boot from the burner, but the Bios enters a default path which you can't edit or replace, and it's the path to the hard drive where Windows resides...

muggins

#414 Post by muggins »

How does legacy boot show up on the Bios pages?
It might be under something like Compatibility Support Module" or "CSM".

cthisbear

#415 Post by cthisbear »

" I had to stop using Lupuplus more than I year ago, when I was
forced to give up all my old PCs for a single 64-bit UEFI laptop. "

I booted up an iCore7???? Sony laptop 4 months ago....
to fix it up.

I was surprised....it worked quite well.

Chris.

muggins

#416 Post by muggins »

If I buy a new laptop, I always try & identify the most geeky looking salesperson, (who hopefully has at least heard of linux), and lie to them that I want to boot windows & a linux liveCD, and can I test that the liveCD plays well with the laptop.

Usually I never have problems. Of course, when at home, windows is wiped ASAP.

otropogo

#417 Post by otropogo »

muggins wrote:
How does legacy boot show up on the Bios pages?
It might be under something like Compatibility Support Module" or "CSM".
Yes. I've got "Launch CSM" and "Fast Boot", in the Boot Menul, both disabled. On advice from this forum, IIRC.

It's been a while since I played with this, since it's no fun running a system in which you can't update any apps or install new ones.

Just now I booted Knoppix 7.4.2, this time using a Lexar microSD USB reader (the kind that goes directly into the USB port - I had to buy a crappy microSD just to get the reader, because I've lost all my old square ones).

I got my hopes up when the BIOS recognized that it was a Lexar USB rdr 0815 IIRC. But nothing changed.

Synaptic fails with a wheezy error. Deb package installer (forget the name) fails with an Apt error. Install components runs until it's got everything downloaded (I tried Audacity, movie player, something else) then reports "installation failed". Even ClamTK can't manage to download a virus sigs update anymore. It seems to me that Knoppix isn't robust enough to run on a USB flash installation. It seems to get corrupted very quickly, and then it's all over.

There's an option to manually add a boot device on the BIOS Boot menu, but after naming it, you have to define the path, and the BIOS defines it for you as the path to the hard drive. If you have a disk in the burner, you can see the path to it, but you can't enter it for the additional boot device. Totally hopeless.

muggins

#418 Post by muggins »

To boot a non-uefi distro you have to enable CSM. ( And disable fast boot). Then when you save your settings & exit, you'll be able to boot from DVD/CD, usbkey, or non-uefi distro on the hard disk.

cthisbear

#419 Post by cthisbear »

otropogo >> Maybe read this...

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100422

Windows 8 or 8.1: How to Boot Puppy - Step 1

Chris.

otropogo

#420 Post by otropogo »

cthisbear wrote:otropogo >> Maybe read this...

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100422

Windows 8 or 8.1: How to Boot Puppy - Step 1

Chris.
Thanks Chris. Of course I do have Secure Boot disabled, without that, I wouldn't be able to boot Knoppix on the system. But I am puzzled given Muggins' instructions above (which I'll try as soon as I can find an old liveCD) what the advantages are of booting with Linux UEFI support, since it doesn't seem to work very well.

PS. IIRC, my last configured version of Lupuplus was revision 4 or 5, which I'm sure I can find a working copy of. Will I be able to use its 2fs files if I upgrade it to the current version?

My basic needs are to have Xfprot, GIMP, UFRAW, and RAWstation installed. IIRC, I was able to get pets for all of those for 5.2.8. The big problem has always been to get a decent package installer to use with a large and up to date repository, such as Ubuntu's.

Update: today I spent a couple of hours trying Muggins' suggestions, and found I was able to boot Puppy, at least one out of three. FatDog 700b2 on a flash install couldn't find the kernel, and a boot of Puppy 528-5 from LiveCd failed with a syncing error after flailing about for quite a while.

To get them to appear in the boot menu and save, I had to ENABLE "launch CSM" as Muggins suggests, but I also had to ENABLE "launch PEX OpROM policy". After that I had to disable the entries for the MFC machine and the PCI enthernet controller.

But although I was finally able to boot Puppy 528-5 from a SD card installation, the ethernet chip wasn't automatically configured, and seemed to resist manual configuration. I got connected once, and saved the configuration (at least Puppy said it would), but on reboot, I had the same problem and couldn't get connected a second time. So no cigar for Lupu 528-5, but I might be able to work with the current version.

The ethernet controller is a Realtek 8169. The laptop has an Nvidia Geoforce 750M chip and an Intel chip I can't identify from the control panel. I've never figured out how you switch from one to the other, but I use and external monitor almost always, and Windows recognizes and supports both the internal and external, wheras Puppy only displays the monitor.

BTW: Is the old Xfprot pet still working on the latest lupu?

otropogo

sulu4 boots with renamed lupu-save.2fs from Lupuplus528-5

#421 Post by otropogo »

I just used Rufus flash installer to install sulu4 to a525MB CF card. It booted fine, So then I copied the sfs file to my hard drive, renamed the original on the CF card *.bak, and rebooted again. That worked too, but much faster.

Then I renamed two lupuplus528-5 2fs files from their native lupusave to sulusave.

I tried the smaller, barebones one made a long time ago and with lower display resolution, first. And it loaded without any issues.

I then tried the one currently in use (by my partner - I haven't run Lupu for the past year, because I didn't think it could run on my UEFI BIOS PC).

It was set for higher resolution, and a different graphic controller, and contains most of my favourite pets, xfprot, ufraw, rawstation, and the working ntfs-3g driver..

I had some trouble configuring the display with xorgwizard, which didn't recognize my display/monitor combination, and offered me a much reduced resolution, and then still failed to work when I chose its approved combinations (1280x1024 24 bit instead of the 1680x1050 32bit I've been using with the Intel gpu).

But after a few reboots, before I had a chance to try all the really low resolutions, it loaded the desktop at 1280x1024 and 24bits, IIRC, without my having to do anything more.

I then tried running my favourite apps, and was very happy to find that xfprot still works, and immediately went and downloaded the latest sigs file. Rawstudio works also, allowing me to view and edit my RAW images.

The disappointment was UFRaw, which I had installed both as a standalone and plug-in for Gimp. Gimp reported it was broken. And I couldn't get it to run standalone either. I wonder why?

There was one other disturbing signal - a popup telling me to unstall "old" versions updated in sulu4. Most of these were old versions of pburn which refused to uninstall, and apparently accumulated (unless sulu is just seeing ghosts). I'll gladly remove them if I can.

But one item of great cocern is the ntfs-3g driver, circa 2012, which I finally managed to get installed to overcome an ntfs "read only issue" with the original driver.

Sulu wants me to uninstall it and replace it with a version from 2010, and I'm worried about the results.

I've uploaded the screen save of the popup

Suggestions?

PS. I can't recall at the moment who rolled UFRaw into a pet for me way back when. But I'd sure appreciate it if you could do it again.

I noted an announcement recently that a new free linux AV app is being released, and will try to find out more about that.

ClamAV seems to be in revival, and a pet for that and its gui , ckamTK, might be useful.

I recently installed clamAV "successfully" in Lighthouse64, but there's no gui, and I have no idea how to configure or run it, or what, if anything, it's doing.

Given the poverty of the Slackware repositories, I can't understand why "bleeding edge" Puppies would want to rely on them for their apps and updates.
Attachments
uninstalllist.jpg
(113.75 KiB) Downloaded 321 times

rerwin

#422 Post by rerwin »

otropogo,
Thanks for reporting your experience with upgrading to sulu4. You can ignore the ntfs-3g recommendation because it is based on the difference in version identifier. "3g_" appears to be later than "3g-", so the year is ignored. The name-version formats being different make the comparison invalid.

For the pburns, use the pburn....files listing in /root/.packages to find the listed files in /initrd/pup_rw/ and remove them from there, so that the new versions on /initrd/pup_ro2 are seen and used. Then delete the old pburn lines in user-installed-packages, as well as any old pburn....files files.

You can uninstall the pmusic_upgrade package. When only the ntfs package shows up on reboot, you can tell it to not check any more.

Please tell me more about the 2012 verson of ntfs-3g, as I would like to consider it for the next release of lupu/sulu. Please test it as much as you can, to be sure there are no ugly surprises. Could you give me a link to it, or to the posting where it is provided? TIA
Richard

otropogo

#423 Post by otropogo »

rerwin wrote:otropogo,
Please tell me more about the 2012 verson of ntfs-3g, as I would like to consider it for the next release of lupu/sulu. ... Could you give me a link to it, or to the posting where it is provided? TIA
Richard
playdayz wrote:
Thanks once again shinobar.

otropogo, shinobar meant that the problem I was seeing with newer versions of ntfs-3g required the /bin/mount fix he described. And sure enough, I have compiled the full version of the latest ntfs-3g 2012.1.15 (on Lupu Plus Libre) and it is working for me without the error message.
found at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 15807de851

There's some discussion of the specific issue on that page. Apparently the write problem only surfaced when writing to an external ntfs drive connected via pci/USB3.0. A google search of
ntfs-3G murga-linux
turned up a number of command line configuration fixes for other instances of ntfs-3g write issues, but when it occurs in the installer (as in Lighthouse64, in my most recent experience) while trying to write a 2fs save to hdd, it is fatal, especially for a newbie.

BTW, various posts on this forum and elsewhere explain the use of older versions of ntfs-3G by saying there was corruption of the more recent versions.

But my research suggested that a crippled version was deliberately adopted by some major distros for reasons that were never quite clear to me. It took quite a lot of searching to find a working version post 2010. I believe I found one from 2011 before shinobar rolled the pet above. HTH

otropogo

#424 Post by otropogo »

rerwin wrote:otropogo,

For the pburns, use the pburn....files listing in /root/.packages to find the listed files in /initrd/pup_rw/ and remove them from there, so that the new versions on /initrd/pup_ro2 are seen and used. Then delete the old pburn lines in user-installed-packages, as well as any old pburn....files files.

You can uninstall the pmusic_upgrade package. When only the ntfs package shows up on reboot, you can tell it to not check any more.
Hi Richard,

As indicated by the four pupsnaps uploaded, I couldn't find the old packages in initrd/pup_rw to delete them, nor the new ones in /initrd/pup_ro2.

Don't want to start deleting stuff willy nilly...what do you suggest I do next?

PS. when I open pburn, it shows v.3.7.7.

IIRC, this is because I unstalled a version that didn't work, thought (from the ppm list that I could revert to a previous version, but ended up with only the shipped version of lupuplus528-5.

PS. I've never been able to delete installations from the PPM installed list. So all kinds of versions of seamonkey and other apps that that didn't work , didn't install right, or became corrupted in use remain listed there. Any idea how to clean up that mess?
Attachments
root_.packages.jpg
(42.17 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
intrd_pup_rw.jpg
(23.46 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
initrd_pup_ro2.jpg
(7.26 KiB) Downloaded 1338 times
intrd-pup_rw-initrd_pup_rw.jpg
(4.49 KiB) Downloaded 1352 times

otropogo

shutdown/reboot problem with sulu4 on usbflash

#425 Post by otropogo »

When I try to reboot or shut down from sulu4 installed on usbflash (but running from sfs and 2fs files onhdd), the system always locks up.

I'm running on a laptop with an external keyboard and mouse connected via USB (on a USB3.0 hub), which work normally until that point. But once the shutdown starts, I end up with a black screen of death with a blinking cursor, and Ctl-ALT-Del no longer works from the usb keyboard.

I have to open up the laptop (I usually run with it closed to conserve battery and internal display life, as well as lowering operating temperature -using an external DVI monitor) and hold down the power button to shut down. Then I have to hold it down again to reboot.

It's awkward, time consuming, and I'm worried about wearing out my power button.

Strangely, neither MintPup nor DebianDog, for all their other defects, present this issue. I could always reboot them with CTL-ATL-DEL from the usb keyboard.

Has anyone else experienced this shutdown problem?