Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ilanrab

528.6 is a GO, for me.

#151 Post by ilanrab »

To all those responsible for 5.2.8.6, thank you so much -- rerwin, you too, of course ;)
Although, for the past year to two I have been using my Android Google Nexus 10 tablet most of the time, I like my Dell Inspirion Mini Netbook quite a bit. The Dell has been running Puppy 5.2.5 for years. All efforts to run later Puppy versions yielded mixed results -- the biggest culprit was always sound handling. Therefore, I stayed with 5.2.5.

I installed 5.2.8.6, a week ago. It has been meeting 99% of my needs.
Good job!

Cheers,
ir
[b]ir[/b]

sheldonisaac

Sylpheed problem

#152 Post by sheldonisaac »

Hi, LuPu experts.
May I ask for help re the Sylpheed SFS from Shinobar?

Please look at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 956#773956

My problem is near the bottom of the page.

Does the GNUpg missing have anything to do with Sylpheed exiting when I delete a message

UPDATE:
Paste from the Sylpheed thread:
sh-4.1# /initrd/pup_ro4/usr/bin/sylpheed

(sylpheed:31820): Sylpheed-WARNING **: plugin.c:199: signal 'messageview-show' not found
/initrd/pup_ro4/usr/bin/sylpheed: symbol lookup error: /initrd/pup_ro4/usr/bin/sylpheed: undefined symbol: folder_item_is_trash
sh-4.1#.
watchdog replied:
:
It seems like your libraries are not compatible. Perhaps it's problem of lupu 528_006. It's odd because I realized that shino's sfs even works in latest slacko, too.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Pelo

upup 3.9.9 Lucid is slow

#153 Post by Pelo »

upup 3.9.9 Lucid is slow, slower then Lucid 3.0.25. However it's a clever process to get Lucid Puppy as a LTS.
I failed installing windows managers as E17, Echinus. Not really a problem. It was my first try.
Sometimes impossible to write on USB sdcxx. Unmount, mount again, then writing on it is ok. Strange.
Edit sfs in the menu should be a good idea too (utilities)... Well, i have the pet in my tool case.
Pfind : could anybody create a pretty icon for Pfind, poor Pfind, icon is so small that we cannot.... Find it on the desktop ! :)
Attachments
image-1.jpg
lupusuper is super !
(69.8 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

New Plus and Libre uploads

#154 Post by rerwin »

I have updated the Plus and Libre ISO files with the current versions of LibreOffice and Java Runtime. The separate SFS files for jre-1.7.0.55, LibreOffice 4.1.6 (the final version of LO 4.1) and LibreOffice 4.2.4 (the newest stable version) are available here (in Supplemental SFS Files):Those of you already using a frugal installation can add or update LibreOffice by adding the JRE file and one of the LibreOffice SFS files to your puppy installation, replacing any older versions of those files (and then installing them with the BootManager or the SFS Loader). The exception to this method, of course, is if you are using a Libre version of Lucid Pupu 5.2.8.6, in which case you would only replace the lupu_528.sfs file from the lupulibre ISO file or sulu_002.sfs from the lupusuper2libre ISO file.

Although I provide the final LO 4.1 release, I suspect most will want to migrate to LO 4.2. Simply replacing the appropriate SFS files should work without further adjustments. The residual files in directory /opt/libreoffice4.1 should cause no harm; that entire directory can be removed if desired.

The details of the improvements in 4.2 beyond 4.1 are given here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Rel ... .2_Changes

Links to all of the ISO files are in the first posting of this thread.
Richard

OscarTalks

#155 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Richard,

Not sure if you are planning to include any further upgrades or fixes in Lupu 5286 now, but here are a couple to consider if you are:-

firewallstate-2.5.1-i686.pet
Operational improvements and nice new icons in the tray.
More info:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=150

pup-advert-blocker-0.5b.pet
Important fix of Mvps block list.
Other fixes and enhancements.
More info:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0&start=51
Attachments
lupu-2upgrades.jpg
Firewallstate tray icon and advert blocker upgrades in 1 screenshot
(75.85 KiB) Downloaded 1030 times
Oscar in England

rerwin

#156 Post by rerwin »

Oscar,
Thanks for calling my attention to those packages. I have added them to my collection for the next round, probably far off at this point.

I would like to update epdfview to add the patch to correct the blue-red mixup. I have the patch, but cannot seem to compile the 0.1.8 version cleanly. Although I have the code, from linux-from-scratch, I do not know where to find some of the dependencies. During configuration, it stops when it cannot find libkrb5 (or something like that).

Is there anyone here who can advise me on how to get on with this task?
Richard

UPDATE 5/17/2014: After researching the issue described by Oscar Talks as
this version [of firewallstate] does not call out to external hosts to determine your WAN IP. Apparently some people are concerned about that.
I obtained 01micko and greengeek's new version of ipinfo and edited it to look almost like the apparently final version, here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 540#750540

Since it will be awhile before the next 5.2.8.6 update, I attach it here, for those already installing firewallstate-2.5.1, because it addresses the same problem. Move ipinfo.gz to /usr/sbin and then click on it to unzip it, replacing the existing version.
Richard
Attachments
ipinfo.gz
ipinfo without automatic linking to special web site
Place it in /usr/sbin.
(1.78 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 18 May 2014, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.

jeff757

krb5

#157 Post by jeff757 »

Rerwin,
I'm in super2 and it has krb5.

jeff

sheldonisaac

Re: krb5

#158 Post by sheldonisaac »

jeff757 wrote:Rerwin,
I'm in super2 and it has krb5.

jeff
Not that I'd know a lib if I fell over it:

Code: Select all

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     14 2011-08-17 10:49 /usr/lib/libkrb5.so.3 -> libkrb5.so.3.3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 719540 2011-08-17 11:04 /usr/lib/libkrb5.so.3.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     21 2011-08-17 10:49 /usr/lib/libkrb5support.so.0 -> libkrb5support.so.0.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  26152 2011-08-17 11:04 /usr/lib/libkrb5support.so.0.1
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Semme

#159 Post by Semme »

Hello Richard,

Any chance of getting updated OpenSSH/SSL pkgs?
Last edited by Semme on Sat 31 May 2014, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

Keef

#160 Post by Keef »

To get edpfview to compile, just add this symlink: /usr/lib/libgssapi_krb5.so (EDIT: link to libgssapi_krb5.so.2.2)
I'm no expert, but nosed around in the makefile for krb5 and found this line (142):

Code: Select all

CUPS_LIBS = -lcups -lgssapi_krb5 -lgnutls -lz -lpthread -lm -lcrypt
All the other libs have a '.so' symlink apart from the krb5 one - changed that and it compiles.

rerwin

Color-corrected epdfview-0.1.8-1

#161 Post by rerwin »

Keef,
Many, many thank yous! I just now spotted your posting, added the link, patched and compiled epdfview. Built a pet package (0.1.8-1) using pieces from the package already installed in lupu, and tested it with a web page that does not print correctly with the previous version of 0.1.8. The color is correct!

My test is with the B&H logo at bhphotovideo.com.

The result is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7aufk ... .1.8-1.pet
for anyone wanting to try it, particularly those who have documents that otherwise do not print with correct colors. I have added the link to the Supplemental Pet section in message 3 of this thread.

Regarding the version number, I added the "-1" to correspond to the patch, called "fixes-1". I see that ubuntu has at least a "-1" and a "-3", the latter seeming to be the color fix. So, this could be confusing. I am open to thoughts on improving that.
Richard

drblock2

Problem with Lucid Revitalized as Server

#162 Post by drblock2 »

To celebrate Microsoft's ending support for Windows XP at the beginning of April, I finally got around to replacing my legacy LAN based on XP with a Linux LAN based on Lucid Revitalized. I used lupuplus with the linux_kernel-2.6.33.2-tickless_smp_patched-L3. A conservative solution for my old ThinkPad R52, which I use as a file and print sever.

The networking facilities are provided by samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1.pet and the printer server by p910nd-rcrsn-0.93.pet. The setup worked flawlessly until a few days ago when a problem arose. When attempting to play music from a 1TB external USB hard drive attached the server, the music paused after about ten minutes, resumed after 30 seconds or so and then stopped after another minute. The cause was easily diagnosed. The external USB hard drive had "detached" itself from the server, not accessible locally, drive the icon had disappeared. I was able to "reattach" the drive by unmounting it, powering it down and then up again, and remounting it.

But, the problem as described above reoccurred when ever I tried to play music remotely from the server.

In an attempt to track down the problem I tried the following:

1. To rule out disk error, I booted into Windows and ran chkdsk on the server and the external hard drive (both formatted to NTFS). No error on either of them.

2. To rule out a problem with the client, I tried playing music from another machine on the LAN. The same "detachment" occurred.

Last culprit - the operating system.

3. For a quick check, I booted from Quirky 6.1.4 in a USB slot. Problem solved, but, of course, the drive designations have changed as Quirky now commands sdb and everything else has been bumped up to sdc, sdd,, etc.

Although the network is functioning properly again, I would like to find a solution to this problem as I am very much in favor of the Lucid Puppy Revitalized philosophy: Take a proven, well-tested system and eliminate all the remaining bugs . Particularly puzzling is the fact that this problem first arose after nearly two months of using the new system.

rcrsn51

#163 Post by rcrsn51 »

There have been other sporadic reports of this kind of situation. A USB drive hiccups, drops its connection with the OS and reappears with a new drive letter.

I have no idea what causes this - bad cabling, the drive electronics, the udev system in Puppy, ......

greengeek

#164 Post by greengeek »

rcrsn51 wrote:I have no idea what causes this - bad cabling, the drive electronics......
I had significant problems with this on a variety of puppies and in my case I found the problem was caused by the usb connector that connected an external hub to my PC usb port. The problem goes away permanently if I 'back out' the connector by 1mm. If I push it in all the way the problem comes back after a variable time. Usually in the middle of copying large files :?

I suspect that the heating effect during copying causes a change in geometry of the connector and causes a change in the quality of the connection. Both usb connectors look absolutely perfect and I can see no visible cause for this problem.

Another possible suggestion might be bus changes being caused by the circuits/software that detect presence of usb2 versus usb 1 devices.

Do you get the same effects if you use slower sticks or avoid usb2 devices? (I'd even suggest that the problem might be triggered by a device on a completely different port - maybe a printer or something on anothet port could trigger the controller to reset or switch modes?)

Hope you find a solution

drblock2

#165 Post by drblock2 »

rcrsn51 and greengeek

Thanks for quick reply!

First, a slight clarification. When the drive "detaches," it remains mounted so that when powered down and up it is redetected with a higher drive letter. That is why I unmounted the drive first.

I have had at least one terrifying experience with failed drive electronics (WesternDigital net drive running off the router). In this case, however, the drive seems to work normally with Quirky 6.1.4. I have tested this for several hours (and will continue to test), but with Lucid Revitalized the fault appears within ten minutes, which suggests that the operating system is somehow involved.

As for the mechanical details: I have a USB hub attached to one USB socket on the host machine. The hub accommodates the external hard drive, a USB stick, the input to my hi-fi system and the mouse. As greengeek noted the problem arises with large-scale transfers of data - only the drive feeding music to my remote machine "detached" itself. The only mechanical changes I made to the system were unplugging and replugging the power supply at the external hard drive, and, of course, slipping the Quirky USB stick into the remaining USB slot on the ThinkPad R52. One experiment is left to be performed:

As I write this, I am listening to music transfered from the external hard disk to the hi-fi system through the USB hub (with Quirky 6.1.4). If the music dies before I am through writing this, you will hear of it immediately, if problem appears later, I will inform asap.

That the defect first appeared after two months strongly suggests that it must be some sort of hardware failure, but then why should changing the operating system solve the problem?

As you can see, I am clearly out of my depth here, but I am trying to supply data for a "differential diagnosis" of the problem.

(The music is still playing.)

rcrsn51

#166 Post by rcrsn51 »

That's a lot of stuff to be running off one USB port on the server machine.

Do you have a machine with more ports to try? Just load up Samba-TNG and hook up your USB hard drive.

drblock2

#167 Post by drblock2 »

The practical problem - accessing my music collection seems to have been solved. Both remote over the network and direct from the USB drive to the server connected to the hi-fi system in the library are working with Quirky 6.1.4.

There are a number of hardware adjustments I could try - switching the USB hub, removing the USB stick except for the few minutes a week when it is needed for my remote back-up, connecting the USB drive directly through one of the two USB ports, using the touch pad rather than the mouse, etc. And I may try these out of curiosity. The difficulty is that the present configuration worked flawlessly for two months and now flawlessly again with Quirky.

I have heard that Puppy registers complaints about drive failures in log files somewhere, but have no idea where to look. Perhaps, this would be a good place to start.

rcrsn51

#168 Post by rcrsn51 »

Try the dmesg command.

drblock2

#169 Post by drblock2 »

Sometimes, when all else fails, pouring out ones heart to a search engine can get useful results. So, I googled: "linux external usb hard drive disconnects during data transfer".

All the results led ultimately to this link:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/349767, which describes the symptoms just as I did in my first post.

This bug was first reported in March 2009 with the 2.6.28-11.37 kernel. It is confirmed for Lucid by Thorsten Hesemeyer:
Have the same issue with Lucid on Lenovo Thinkpad W500 with external Hitachi HTS72101 0G9SA00 hard drive when copying data from the external drive to local hard drive and vice versa.

Kernel 2.6.32-22-generic-pae
Description: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Release: 10.04
Codename: lucid

This issue highly depends on the hardware combination.
1. other external hard drives like Lenovo secure hard disk 160GB do not show this issue
2. same Hitachi HDD attached to a Lenovo Thinkpad T61p does not have this issue.

/var/log/messages entries when copying fails:
May 11 16:33:20 user-laptop kernel: [ 5060.404169] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 5
Apparently, a patch was released for the 2.6.38 kernel in Natty and a fix with the 3.0.1 kernel.

Dealing with this is definitely beyond my capabilities. I hope one of the developers will find time to look into it.

In the meantime, I will experiment with lupu3hd and the superlupus, which offer other kernels.

Edit: Meanwhile, first results are in - if you have the problem, lupu3hd will not solve it. This is not very surprising since lupu3hd is based on kernel 2.6.37.6, and the patch was not introduced until kernel 2.6.38. Nevertheless, worth a try. On to superlupus

Edit 2: As promised, installed lupusuper1 with the 3.0.25 kernel (latest version 20140321). I reused the save file from lupu3hd by renaming it to sulusave.2fs. This seems to have solved the problem. I have tested the new kernel with two music files (37 min., 36.6 MB and 30 min., 51.9 MB) and an avi-file (simple transfer: 33 sec., 367.9 MB).

I will continue to test over the next few days and report back if there are any problems.

n0ukf

Re: Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.6!

#170 Post by n0ukf »

rerwin wrote:The popular Lucid Puppy has been upgraded with its major components brought up to date. Although links to the individual disk image (ISO) files are provided below, the initial download site is:

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dc28t2r ... es-5.2.8.6

This thread is intended as the maintenance center for further support of Lucid Pup.
I don't feel like going through all 12 pages of this thread to find an answer...
Will these disk images do an upgrade install without losing my installed extra apps? I'd rather not have to go through and reinstall them again after an update (perhaps forgetting some).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]