Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Aug 2014, 18:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.6!
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 14 [199 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 22 Mar 2014, 15:59    Post subject:  

otropogo,
I am concerned that you seem to be the only person having big trouble with 5.2.8.6 but continue on with your workaround attempts and speculation, appearing to be trashing this effort without offering to work toward some kind of resolution. Nooby's expression of new-found doubt is the result of that approach. This thread is intended to help new users get up to speed with lupu/sulu, as well as to work toward solutions. I hope you will remain involved here so I can try to sort this out.

First, We need to be sure you are starting with a valid pupsave for lupu528. Remember that pupsaves started before 528 are either not compatible or require some tricky massaging to make them compatible. Your mention of seamonkey for 525 suggests you started with 525 or earlier.

In case you are "serious" about migrating to lupu or sulu 5.2.8.6 and want my help, I can send you a link to someplace in my mediafire account where you could upload your pupsave file for me to work with. The problems seem too complex for us to resolve by mere conversation. I am eager to improve my understanding of the flash media boot issues. If you know about recent improvements in that area or any puppies that work as you expect in that regard, please point them out.

Please reconsider. Thank you for raising the issues; let's work on them.
Richard
otropogo

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar 2014, 23:48    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
otropogo,
I am concerned that you seem to be the only person having big trouble with 5.2.8.6 but continue on with your workaround attempts and speculation, appearing to be trashing this effort without offering to work toward some kind of resolution. Nooby's expression of new-found doubt is the result of that approach. This thread is intended to help new users get up to speed with lupu/sulu, as well as to work toward solutions. I hope you will remain involved here so I can try to sort this out.

First, We need to be sure you are starting with a valid pupsave for lupu528. Remember that pupsaves started before 528 are either not compatible or require some tricky massaging to make them compatible. Your mention of seamonkey for 525 suggests you started with 525 or earlier.

In case you are "serious" about migrating to lupu or sulu 5.2.8.6 and want my help, I can send you a link to someplace in my mediafire account where you could upload your pupsave file for me to work with. The problems seem too complex for us to resolve by mere conversation. I am eager to improve my understanding of the flash media boot issues. If you know about recent improvements in that area or any puppies that work as you expect in that regard, please point them out.

Please reconsider. Thank you for raising the issues; let's work on them.
Richard

I'm sorry Richard, I just don't have the time right now to devote to intensive Puppy troubleshooting. I can tell you that I haven't had any problems with my 2fs files until I'd been using them for many months under lupuplus-005.

The Lucid-525 pet was for Seamonkey composer and html editor. I have no idea how it got there, as I've never installed it or used it. And yet, it's listed twice. There are also other programs listed for "Lucid 52". I think there are basic issues with the packet manager. I'm not trying to disparage your work, simply reporting what I experienced and trying to offer an explanation.

I spent a few hours on 528.6, and that was enough to realize that it can't provide my minimum needs at this point. When we had one main Puppy distro, this wasn't necessarily a disaster, because people like tempestuous would often step in and cobble up a pet to fill a need.

Do you have someone to provide a pet for xfprot for 5.28.6, or UFRaw and Rawstudio? And then there's the matter of USB3.0 support an support for SDXC flash cards of various denominations. Even last year's Knoppix 7.2 doesn't have this last bit working. I need an operating system and software that will make the real world tasks I have easier and faster to do, not one that consumes my time in troubleshooting.

Roy

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar 2014, 02:00    Post subject:  

Just a quick note from an older Pentium4 user (with the latest iso version)....

Starting with a video directory that has a videoTS and audioTS subdirectory, selecting the actual videoTS file with Pdvdsrab (burn function) gives me an iso that has ONLY the videoTS directory on it (no audioTS). Disc will not play.

Starting with a (the same) video directory that has a videoTS and audioTS subdirectory, selecting the audioTS and videoTS parent directory with Pdvdsrab (burn function) gives me an iso that has a videoTS main directory containing both videoTS and audioTS directories within it. Disc will not load or play.

Files were converted with FFconvert from youtube flv's to mpg's and NTSC standard was used.

My other minor concern is the blank black screens when the X server is restarted. Were I not an experienced puppy user, I would probably have a major problem with this -- thinking my computer was "freezing" instead of waiting for an invisible input. Creation of save files are "blind", too.

Doesn't diminish my gracious affection for Puppy or Lucid, but wanted to let others know what I am experiencing on this end.

-Roy
rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr 2014, 23:34    Post subject: Lucid Pup 5.2.8.6 now essentially complete!  

I have completed the uploading of all variants at the level lableled as "20140321". I do not expect further updates for many months, other than to update the "plus" and "libre" variants with LibreOffice 4.1.6, which is the final bugfix of the 4.1 series.

Because the "supers" use a 3.x kernel, which supports the new "xz" compression used by modern puppies, I encourage users to migrate to the lupusuper2 group, which uses the kernel from Precise Pup.

While the other "supers" may be needed for recent hardware, I believe that the lupusuper2s offer the full set of benefits while possibly avoiding the risk of (unknown-at-this-time) incompatibilities with later kernels. I provide the (plus and libre) variants with LibreOffice for lupusuper2. To migrate a pupsave file from the original lupu, simply change the file name prefix from "lupusave" to "sulusave", then boot it with lupusuper2 (or any of the other lupusupers).

If any incompatibilities are discovered due to the switch to lupusuper2, please report them in this thread, as I hope to focus on eventually resolving them.
Richard
slavvo67

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr 2014, 20:36    Post subject:  

Hi Rerwin:

I downloaded both the new 3HD and the Super Lucid. Both seem to work fine with no stability issues (what makes the 5.28 so nice). I personally appreciate your work as Lucid and 3HD were really the distro's that made me a puppy lover!

That being said, they more reminded me as to how far along Puppy has come in a short period of time. Personally, while a nice reminder of the past, I can't see myself going back to use them on a regular basis except maybe if the need arises on an old machine where some of the newer puppies would not work. I usually boot up now to either Barry's Trusty Tahr or currently Fluxpup.

Please don't take this the wrong way! Love the old pups and I know you put a lot of time and effort into the updates. I just couldn't help thinking while waiting for the package manager to download... oh boy, this slow thing again?

Kindest regards,

Slavvo67
Smithy

PostPosted: Sun 13 Apr 2014, 08:28    Post subject:  

The Luci range seemed to be a sweet spot for older single core cpus and tricky Radeons in my experience, coming straight up to the desktop without hassle. And flies on newer gear.

Could you post a list of your changes Rerwin if you get chance?

And maybe a few screenies.

I remember the alsa was a bit old on the original for some usb sound cards, possibly presonus/ emu/ rme.
majorfoo

PostPosted: Sun 13 Apr 2014, 15:26    Post subject:  

Smithy wrote:
The Luci range seemed to be a sweet spot for older single core cpus and tricky Radeons in my experience, coming straight up to the desktop without hassle. And flies on newer gear.

Could you post a list of your changes Rerwin if you get chance?

And maybe a few screenies.

I remember the alsa was a bit old on the original for some usb sound cards, possibly presonus/ emu/ rme.

many or maybe all of the changes are posted at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855&start=2355

hope this helps you
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Sun 13 Apr 2014, 23:14    Post subject:  

otropogo wrote:
I can tell you that I haven't had any problems with my 2fs files until I'd been using them for many months under lupuplus-005.

Are you running frugal?

Do you run a fsck on every boot?

Dating back to versions in the 4.xx, I started running fsck on every boot. The save files seem to slowly corrupt themselves...

On the kernel line (in menu.lst), I add:

Code:
pfix=fsck

Les Kerf

PostPosted: Mon 14 Apr 2014, 20:08    Post subject:
Subject description: SuLu Shutdown

Thank you for providing the upgrades for Lucid Puppy. It has been my "go-to" Puppy since I learned about Puppy Linux a couple of years ago.

When we switched from an ethernet connection to a WiFi hotspot, I was lo longer able to connect my Lucid 528 to the internet, so had to use other versions for that purpose, but Lucid worked so well with LibreOffice and playing DVD's that I kept switching back and forth.

Enter Super Lucid (lupusuper2plus-5.2.8.6-4.1.5-k3.2.48-20140321.iso): now I can connect to WiFi no problem Very Happy

I am using a "Poor Man's" frugal install; the Sfs files, initrd, vmlinuz, and the save file are all on the hard drive; I use a cd to boot (Win 7 is also on there).

This is an Acer Aspire 7741Z-4643 laptop with an Intel Pentium P6100 processor and 3 GB of RAM.

When I "upgraded", I simply deleted everything out of my Lucid folder except the save file, then copied in the new files, and re-named the save file to "sulusave".

Everthing worked fine except for two minor things:

1. I cannot shut down normally; clicking the shutdown menu gives no response whatsoever. I have to do the control/alt/backspace, then it shuts down saves the session just fine.

2. All of the icons in the lower right corner of the tray are gone. The desktop icons and drive icons are fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look to fix these (minor) problems?

Thanks for the help,
Les
dk60902

PostPosted: Mon 14 Apr 2014, 23:47    Post subject:  

I'm running 5.2.8.005. It's extending the life of this 10 yr old Presario laptop. I'm primarily a web browser. I don't game much or do any high powered computing. If I need to use an office suite, Google docs or Office Online does the trick. 5.2.8 is quite stable. I'm running the latest Firefox. The only issue with I had, and it's not necessarily a Puppy thing, is poor support of the Broadcom wifi card. Rather than tear my hair out getting it to work, I'm using a USB wifi dongle with a Realtek RTL8187 chipset that works out of the box with Puppy.
rerwin

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr 2014, 13:55    Post subject:  

dk60902,
Thanks for joining this thread. Since it is only about my upgraded version, 5.2.8.6 (equivalent to a 528-006), why not give it a try? It has the latest upgrades of the Broadcom wifi support, which is significant thanks to the work of peebee.

You should be able to simply replace your initrd.gz, vmlinuz and lupu528.sfs files with the versions in the 5.2.8.6 pet (lupu, or lupumini if you use a zdrv sfs file), if you are using a frugal installation.
Richard
rerwin

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr 2014, 14:12    Post subject:
Subject description: SuLu Shutdown

Les Kerf wrote:
Everything worked fine except for two minor things:

1. I cannot shut down normally; clicking the shutdown menu gives no response whatsoever. I have to do the control/alt/backspace, then it shuts down saves the session just fine.

2. All of the icons in the lower right corner of the tray are gone. The desktop icons and drive icons are fine.
My guess is that something in your pupsave file is interfering with those functions. I would first look in /var/log/messages, /tmp/xerrs.log and bootsysinit.log for clues; you could send them or their content to me in a PM. If nothing is obvious, I would run from the command line:
diff -r /initrd/pup_ro2 /initrd/pup_rw > /tmp/diff-ro2-rw.txt
and look for conflicts. But knowing what to look for is the trick. Most likely, files showing differences in their code would be suspects. It might be simpler to gzip and PM me the diff...txt file.
Richard
Les Kerf

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr 2014, 07:46    Post subject:
Subject description: SOLVED

I do believe it was something wrong with the save file. I read on another thread where someone had a similar problem, and it was suggested that they try doing a fsck upon bootup; I tried that with no effect, but then I tried the boot parameter of "puppy pfix=clean" and that solved both of my problems.

I am much obliged, and thank you so much for putting forth the effort to maintain Lucid Puppy.
Les
starhawk

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr 2014, 01:11    Post subject:  

Here, have an install report Smile

Heavily Modified Neoware CA19 thin client
VIA Eden 400MHz CPU ("Esther" core, so VIA C7-based, rather than the older VIA C3...)
VIA CN700 chipset (incl graphics)
1gb DDR2 RAM (upgraded from IIRC 256mb)
4gb "Poor Man's SSD" (CompactFlash Card in IDE Adapter)
Added two USB ports to the back, removing the parallel port in the process
Replaced both internal heatsinks (CPU and northbridge) with active coolers
Busted and eventually replaced one of the original USB ports (on the front)
WiFi via external dongle (right now a Rosewill RNX-N600UBE)

I've loaded umpty-brajillion Pups on this thing trying to find *one* that was tolerably responsive. Just for whotsit and giggles I download and try a copy of Super LuPu 2, assuming that like every single other one, it'll either take ten minutes to boot and be super doober slow (ClassicPup top10), or it won't have a new enough glibc to let me run anything newer than dusty antiquity as far as eg browsers are concerned (anything older than Slacko 55) -- or, well, both at once, which is the category that most logically-worth-trying Pups (4xx-based almost everything) fall into. If they boot at all... (AnitaOS, which can't find its main SFS).

Boy was I wrong!

It's not, you know, lightning fast -- but I'll be danged if it's not pretty responsive, especially compared to basically every other Pup I've tried on this thing. Besides, given the hardware I'd be a pretty silly person indeed to expect speed of any kind...

Good work, rerwin, this one's a keeper Very Happy

Just curious -- would I be able to run newer versions of Chrome/ium than the browser-installer would have one believe, say up through version 32? or would the glibc inside there be just a little too old for that?

rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr 2014, 11:28    Post subject:  

starhawk,
Thanks for your positive report.
starhawk wrote:
Just curious -- would I be able to run newer versions of Chrome/ium than the browser-installer would have one believe, say up through version 32? or would the glibc inside there be just a little too old for that?
Although I have no experience with Chrome, if it is like SeaMonkey it may allow/recommend upgrading to the current version. You might try installing the latest version offered by QuickPet, running it and then letting it upgrade itself. Of course, don't try this with your main puppy until you have done it on a fresh pupsave environment, in case it doesn't work out.
Richard
Page 10 of 14 [199 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: