Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Walter Dnes

#1006 Post by Walter Dnes »

s243a wrote:When palemoon starts up we seem to be missing a bunch of libraries. I'm not sure if any of this has to do with youtube error, since this happens before youtube shuts down palemoon but here is part of the strace output:

[ snip ]
Hmmmm... 16 hits on missing "sse2". Are you running a Pentium 3 machine? Or is glibc compiled for Pentium 3 CPU (i.e. no sse2 support)? This is a long shot, but have you tried the sse-only Pale Moon build? (I'm the volunteer maintainer). It's almost identical to the mainline edition, except...
  • a little bit slower due to not using sse2 CPU instructions
    no devtools (to reduce memory footprint)
    One minor compatability tweak for older libraries
It has to be installed manually as per instructions in the first post of thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530 The tarball is is located at ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/

s243a

#1007 Post by s243a »

Walter Dnes wrote:
s243a wrote:When palemoon starts up we seem to be missing a bunch of libraries. I'm not sure if any of this has to do with youtube error, since this happens before youtube shuts down palemoon but here is part of the strace output:

[ snip ]
Hmmmm... 16 hits on missing "sse2". Are you running a Pentium 3 machine? Or is glibc compiled for Pentium 3 CPU (i.e. no sse2 support)? This is a long shot, but have you tried the sse-only Pale Moon build? (I'm the volunteer maintainer). It's almost identical to the mainline edition, except...
  • a little bit slower due to not using sse2 CPU instructions
    no devtools (to reduce memory footprint)
    One minor compatability tweak for older libraries
It has to be installed manually as per instructions in the first post of thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530 The tarball is is located at ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/
THE CPU supports SSE2.

I ran the command

Code: Select all

grep -om1 sse2 /proc/cpuinfo
to verify.

You'll have to ask rerwin if the associated glibc pet was compiled against an older instruction set. For now my hack seems to be working but I should try other approaches on a fresh install.

I see that this topic has come up before:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 686#936686

I think it would be good since lucid is an old pup to have both a SSE and SSE2 version of both the glibc and the palemoon browser.

s243a

#1008 Post by s243a »

Now that palemoon is working for me my next task is synergy. The first thing that I had to do was install qt4-qmake_4.6.2 from the puppy package manager.

Then I created a symbolic link to make qmake point to qmake-qt4

Now I need uic-qt4

I'm going to try to compile it because I don't see any discussion about it for lucid.

Edit: a stackoverflow thread suggests that this might be part of the pyqt-devtools package. I'm downloading it now from the package manager with the many dependencies.

Edit2: I installed many qt4 packages from the puppy package manager and still no uic-qt4, unless it is simply a matter of wrapping pyuic4 in a scipt and calling it "uic-qt4"

I think maybe the next thing for me to try is to compile the qt package. Luniux from scratch has some notes on this:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi ... x/qt4.html

The version of the qt packages in the puppy package manager are 4.6.2

Edit 3: The linux from scatch page says that QR 4.8.5 requires alsa-lib-1.0.27.2 luicd comes with also 1.0.24. Although I see a bunch of backport modules in the puppy package manager for Alsa that have a higher version number. I'm not sure what these backport modules are. Also the source for 4.8.5 doesn't seem to exist so I'm going to try 4.8.6 and modify the slackbuild script to build it as a puppy pet while looking to see what installation notes that I need to incorporate from linuxfromscratch.
Last edited by s243a on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

keniv

#1009 Post by keniv »

Hello s243a,
Thanks for your reply and confirmation that you can reproduce the problem I have. I've looked at your code not all of which I understand. However I did not download the YouTube video with palemoon. I used youtube-dl. My hardware is somewhat limited (800MHz 320MB) and YouTube is jerky using Palemoon. I'll try your suggestion in a fresh savefile and report back.

Thanks again,

Ken.

Edit Sorry, just realised the previous post on p67 that only the first part was about my problem and the other posts are about palemoon.

musher0

#1010 Post by musher0 »

Thanks, rerwin, for keeping this breed of Puppy alive. :D
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

s243a

#1011 Post by s243a »

s243a wrote:Now that palemoon is working for me my next task is synergy. The first thing that I had to do was install qt4-qmake_4.6.2 from the puppy package manager.

Then I created a symbolic link to make qmake point to qmake-qt4

Now I need uic-qt4

I'm going to try to compile it because I don't see any discussion about it for lucid.

Edit: a stackoverflow thread suggests that this might be part of the pyqt-devtools package. I'm downloading it now from the package manager with the many dependencies.

Edit2: I installed many qt4 packages from the puppy package manager and still no uic-qt4, unless it is simply a matter of wrapping pyuic4 in a scipt and calling it "uic-qt4"

I think maybe the next thing for me to try is to compile the qt package. Luniux from scratch has some notes on this:

The version of the qt packages in the puppy package manager are 4.6.2

Edit 3: The linux from scatch page says that QR 4.8.5 requires alsa-lib-1.0.27.2 luicd comes with also 1.0.24. Although I see a bunch of backport modules in the puppy package manager for Alsa that have a higher version number. I'm not sure what these backport modules are. Also the source for 4.8.5 doesn't seem to exist so I'm going to try 4.8.6 and modify the slackbuild script to build it as a puppy pet while looking to see what installation notes that I need to incorporate from linuxfromscratch.
Wrapping pyuic4 as uic-qt4 seems to have worked. I had to install a bunch of qt4 libraries from the puppy package manager, including one that said "ubuntu sdk" and a bunch of python stuff but in the end synergy seemed to compile:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/maj9ox5t4occo ... 5.pet?dl=0

I haven't tested it yet. I suspect I'm missing some dependencies because I ignored what they said were the dependencies on the slackbuild site. >

Time to try a re-master now because my wife bent the usb stick and I don't want to have to start all this from scratch.

s243a

#1012 Post by s243a »

I'm now trying superlupu4libere in a virtualbox. The seamonkey browser insall didn't work when I clicked on the browser Icon. Fortnuantly I can still use dillo. Will be installing palemoon next on this virtual machine.

I think I might try to install the latest python 2 on it.

BTW I was able to get synegy working on the other verusrions of superlupu4 that I'm running.

sindi

smtube 15 no longer works

#1013 Post by sindi »

Smtube 15 and 17 no longer work with Youtube since something changed their recently.

Smtube 18.1 does, in Tahr with some Qt5 libraries added (not found in Lupu)..
I copied over all the missing libraries but could not find libharfbuzz, and some of the libQt5 libraries need glibc 2.15 or even 2.17. (Tahr has 2.19).

Is it safe to update to glibc 2.19 using some Ubuntu package? ppm offers 2.6. Lupu (my version anyway) has 2.11.

Rerwin, would you consider updating glibc for Lupu 2016 (or 2018)?

Lupu 2016 works perfectly on a 2009 AMD HP dv6500 where Slacko, Tahr and Xenial cannot handle the video (even in framebuffer mode).

rerwin

#1014 Post by rerwin »

sindi,
After experimenting with watchdog's glibc wrapper for Seamonkey and Palemoon, I concluded that adapting the lupus to use 2.19 for them would be more complicated than I can manage, although I provided packages for those will to "risk it". There are too many incompatibilities to try to resolve -- if that is even possible.

Switching over to 2.19 is more than I can do. Considering that lucid is no longer supported anywhere, I see no point in trying to improve it and am moving on to working with the xenialpups and Easy OS. But I am open to making bug fixes to lucid if necessary.

rerwin

Lupu Pluses and LibreOffice 5.4.4 uploaded

#1015 Post by rerwin »

I have created the "plus" variants for lupu, sulu2 and sulu4, containing the December release of LibreOffice, 5.4.4. Their links are now in the first message of this thread.

For those wanting to update to LO 5.4.4 in an existing Lucid pup, I also uploaded LibreOffice-5.4.4_en-US_gz.sfs here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/axxq7v8hj ... -US_gz.sfs

And the final LO 5.3 release is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/nquucapce ... -US_gz.sfs

A companion Java package is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9fqzpyztb ... 586_gz.sfs

s243a

#1016 Post by s243a »

rerwin wrote:sindi,
After experimenting with watchdog's glibc wrapper for Seamonkey and Palemoon, I concluded that adapting the lupus to use 2.19 for them would be more complicated than I can manage, although I provided packages for those will to "risk it". There are too many incompatibilities to try to resolve -- if that is even possible.

Switching over to 2.19 is more than I can do. Considering that lucid is no longer supported anywhere, I see no point in trying to improve it and am moving on to working with the xenialpups and Easy OS. But I am open to making bug fixes to lucid if necessary.
I think it's possible but I agree there are some complications. The issue seems to be that it is getting linked to some incompatible libraries. I believe it is worth trying but it is above my skill level. Until someone succeeds there is a chromium browser in quickpet which is new enough that websites won't complain.

The issue seems to be with plug-ins. Palemoon isn't loading the glibc wrapper when a plugin is loaded so some websites are crashing the browser due to incompatible libraries.

rerwin thanks for your work on palemoon. I think we are very close :)

fm1st

THANK YOU FOR YOUR GREAT WORK MAINTAINING LUPU

#1017 Post by fm1st »

rerwin wrote:Considering that lucid is no longer supported anywhere, I see no point in trying to improve it and am moving on to working with the xenialpups and Easy OS. But I am open to making bug fixes to lucid if necessary.
Dear Richard,

thank to you I am for several years now a constant user of Lucid Puppy. You have done an outstanding work keeping LUPU updated ... it surely have made my life easier. I have no words to describe how I enjoyed -- and still enjoy -- using my old desktop running it with LUPU Revitalized. Although I haven't posted much I have always been surfing the forum, especially "Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7", and finding great answers for my needs.

It is been now a few weeks that I am also experimenting XENIAL, in a newer old laptop. And more and more I will be working with XENIAL rather than with LUPU.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR GREAT WORK, TALENT, GENEROSITY AND TIME!

Fernando
Urca, Rio de Janeiro

"Fair winds and safe passages"

Mike Walsh

#1018 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Richard.

Got a small query for you.

I'm gradually setting up all 10 Pups in the kennels to work with frenchiveruti's suspend script for desktops (from here):-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112449

It's simple enough to modify /etc/xdg/templates/_root_jwmrc to add a 'Suspend' clause into the shutdown menu in the ROX/JWM Pups, whether they use the new logout_gui or not.....but Lucid has me stumped. I know it's different because of using Openbox and fbpanel, but, please; DO tell. Where in the name of all that's holy does Lucid generate its menus from?

I've tried every option I can think of in /etc/xdg (and lost track of the number of times I've run 'fixmenus' in the terminal, and re-started 'X').....nothing seems to work. Any advice on this would be very much appreciated, mate!

Mike. :wink:

rerwin

#1019 Post by rerwin »

My guess is that the file to modify is /etc/xdg/openbox/menu_bottom.xml, which has a shutdown section. I infer that you want to add "Suspend" to the shutdown menu.

The changes to /etc/xdg/templates/_root_jwmrc are still needed, for users switching to JWM.
Richard

mini-jaguar

#1020 Post by mini-jaguar »

The only reasons I would want to update the originals is that some PDFs cannot be read by older Puppies unless you add an annoying PDF editor, and that older Puppies have trouble with non-English characters, in particular in file names.

While I haven't noticed any problems with PDFs with these updates, the problem of diacritics is very much still present.

sindi

Lucid 2016 not working on DELL Inspiron 1150 with 855GM

#1021 Post by sindi »

Lupu starts to boot then when it loads X, the screen goes blank and I cannot Ctrl-Alt-Backspace or switch to terminal mode.

Lupu 525 works from CD, but not when installed frugally to HD. Same problem as Lupu 2016.

Video chip is 855GM. 72003 laptop. 1024x768.

Wary 5.5 (kernel 2.6.32) and Tahr 605 (kernel 3.14) have no such problems with X. Should I try lupu3 (2.6.33 kernel) or a Sulu with kernel 3?

Debiandog Wheezy (kernel 3.2) works.

Framebuffer mode for terminal (fbcon) works only with 8-bit color vga=773. Higher modes are not supported because of only 1MB video memory allocated to framebuffer. Tahr fbcon works. So does DebianDog Wheezy fbcon.

Full color 24-bit works in Xorg. (I did not try Xvesa). More video RAM is allocated to it than to framebuffer.

rerwin

Re: Lucid 2016 not working on DELL Inspiron 1150 with 855GM

#1022 Post by rerwin »

sindi,
Thanks for your report.

Try booting it with i915.modeset=0.

If it still fails, boot with nox and try xorgwizard to find something that works.
Richard

sindi

855GM intel driver buggy lupu2016, ok kernel 2.6.32 or later

#1023 Post by sindi »

The automatic setup program chooses Intel driver. It crashes. i180 and fbdev do not work either, with or without i810.modeset=0 or i915.modeset=0. I removed fbcon, no help.

This is a cheap and buggy video chip with only 1MB RAM available for framebuffer. console framebuffer with vga=773 works with wary, but more than 8-bit color does not.

In someone's Toshiba laptop, the intel driver in worked Ubuntu 9, but not in Ubuntu 10 or 11.

Lupu I think uses the one from 10. Even if it works, the older driver is 'buggy and unstable'.

In Lupu 5.2.5 (older driver) it worked until I changed time zone or window manager, then crashed, consistently.

When running xorgwizard in lupu 2016, it kept crashing.

Wary Intel driver works - kernel 2.6.32.59.
Intel driver in lupu3hd - kernel 2.6.37.2 - also works

Hopefully fbcon will also work on the laptop. Sulu1 and Sulu2 fbcon did not work on a 2005 laptop and this is 2003. If not I will use wary.

Can I use the save files from regular lupu with lupu3hd?

sindi

855GM intel driver crashes in lupu3hd but works in sulu1

#1024 Post by sindi »

Sulu1 intel driver seems stable and fbcon works with vga=773.

I had a similar problem with DELL B130 from 2005 also fixed with sulu1, but
fbcon was not working. 900 series intel not helped by modeset=0 either.

Both are considered low-end laptops but I like the non-glare screens and the keyboards are acceptable. Everything else works with linux including sound.
Heavy duty rubber feet and a chargeable main battery. I only had to replace the hard drive, add a wifi card and another 256MB RAM.

Fred has provided browser-free mpv-based youtube-viewer package (CDE) that works with wary and tahr, which I am eager to try with this slow CPU/GPU.

Youtube at 360p with palemoon is extremely jerky. 240p is okay.

On a slightly faster laptop I can play 480p with the viewer, and only 360p in a browser.[/quote][/code]

rerwin

Re: 855GM intel driver buggy lupu2016, ok kernel 2.6.32 or later

#1025 Post by rerwin »

sindi wrote:Can I use the save files from regular lupu with lupu3hd?
Maybe. I would try it as an experiment, assuming you are considering working with the same releases (2016? or 2016 > 2017) and only changing the save file name.

Be sure to run 'remaster_package_check' if it does not run automatically, to identify any duplicate files or conflicting file versions (between the pup_ro2 and pup_rw layers).