Request: Old laptop for good cause

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nic007

Request: Old laptop for good cause

#1 Post by nic007 »

We are few individuals trying to make a difference in the lives of people living in the informal settlements surrounding Cape Town, South Africa. We generally give a few hours of our time over weekends to go to these areas and provide some food and clothes (mostly out of own pocket). There is definitely a need for basic computer literacy education and we want to help in this regard too. So if you have an old laptop which you are going to discard anyway rather donate. Donation of postal fees will also be appreciated. Puppy can help to educate. Let me know, thanks.

Hotdog

#2 Post by Hotdog »

nic007,

I do not have anything to donate at the moment. Just posting a reply to offer encouragement and say, "Way to go, guy!" Glad that you have made Puppy Linux your OS of choice.
[i]Puppy 5.2.8.7, Full Install[/i]

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Question
Do you want the laptop(s) pre-loaded?

Here to help

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

gcmartin wrote:Question
Do you want the laptop(s) pre-loaded?

Here to help
Hi, thanks for the response. If it has cd capability I can install otherwise pre-installed (frugal preferred) with any compatible Puppy will be great.

ardvark

Re: Request: Old laptop for good cause

#5 Post by ardvark »

nic007 wrote:So if you have an old laptop which you are going to discard anyway rather donate. Donation of postal fees will also be appreciated.
Hi...

It's interesting that you mentioned this. I was thinking about something like this a month ago: Donating my PC with Precise 5.6.1 to an organization either in Africa or Central/South America that could use it to help orphans or other folks in need. However, I do have some questions to see if this could work...

1. My computer is not a laptop but a very small desktop, the Acer Aspire R1600, which is identical or very close to this. The only thing that would take much room would be the monitor, keyboard, speakers and mouse and an optional external CD-ROM drive. However, all of this fits nicely on my small Out house table, in part, because the computer itself is so small. :)

2. I could only send you the computer itself and the power cord, none of the peripherals, as I need them for my own use. Will that be ok?

3. Would there be any problems with power conversion, as I live in the United States and this system uses the North American standard. I noticed a USA to South African adapter here but am not sure if you need a converter also.

4. What additional proof can you show that you and your group are doing the work that you've talked about? Do you guys have a website or are registered with the South African government as a non-profit organization? I'd like to be sure my donation will be used to help those for which it was intended. :wink:

5. How much in the way of postage could you help with?

This system has worked very well in the short time I've had it with no problems. I would pass on to you my current install of Puppy with all the software I've installed on it. :)

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

nic007

#6 Post by nic007 »

ardvark wrote:
nic007 wrote:So if you have an old laptop which you are going to discard anyway rather donate. Donation of postal fees will also be appreciated.
Hi...

It's interesting that you mentioned this. I was thinking about something like this a month ago: Donating my PC with Precise 5.6.1 to an organization either in Africa or Central/South America that could use it to help orphans or other folks in need. However, I do have some questions to see if this could work...

1. My computer is not a laptop but a very small desktop, the Acer Aspire R1600, which is identical or very close to this. The only thing that would take much room would be the monitor, keyboard, speakers and mouse and an optional external CD-ROM drive. However, all of this fits nicely on my small Out house table, in part, because the computer itself is so small. :)

2. I could only send you the computer itself and the power cord, none of the peripherals, as I need them for my own use. Will that be ok?

3. Would there be any problems with power conversion, as I live in the United States and this system uses the North American standard. I noticed a USA to South African adapter here but am not sure if you need a converter also.

4. What additional proof can you show that you and your group are doing the work that you've talked about? Do you guys have a website or are registered with the South African government as a non-profit organization? I'd like to be sure my donation will be used to help those for which it was intended. :wink:

5. How much in the way of postage could you help with?

This system has worked very well in the short time I've had it with no problems. I would pass on to you my current install of Puppy with all the software I've installed on it. :)

Regards...
Hi, thanks but desktop won't work. Need something with batteries and portable, there is no electricity there. The postage/shipping will probably be huge (well for us as South Africans). For the amount of shipping we could nearly buy second hand here. Probably be around $100.

Barkin

#7 Post by Barkin »

ardvark

#8 Post by ardvark »

nic007 wrote: Hi, thanks but desktop won't work. Need something with batteries and portable, there is no electricity there. The postage/shipping will probably be huge (well for us as South Africans). For the amount of shipping we could nearly buy second hand here. Probably be around $100.
Hi...

Thank you for letting me know but I'm curious: With no electricity, how are you guys going to have much time to show them anything? Batteries typically only last for an hour or two. :?:

Regards...