Puppy on ipod

Booting, installing, newbie
Unsought_insight

Puppy on ipod

#1 Post by Unsought_insight »

I've got an old laptop sans hard drive that I have been running macpup 5.11 on.

It works great. Why not break it? :)

I want to update my puppy to the newest and the latest my hardware can handle.

My laptop is an old non PAE Pentium 4 with 512mb ram. It has no HD, and cannot boot from USB

Here's my idea.

Use PLOP on a live CD to boot from a 50gig ipod pluged in to the usb port.
I plan to have a full install of whatever is the bestest puppy I can get on said ipod.

Is this possible?
Will this actually free up any RAM?
Which distro would be the best for this setup?
Is it worth doing this knowing I will have to track down new pets for VLC, DOSBOX, Gimp, qjoypad, INES, and ZSNES?

Also: I have been enjoying myself while messing around with my current distro, so this seems like it might be a fun project. (I don't get out much.)
Puppy linux has been fantastic for me. I truly appreciate all the effort and support that has gone into it's development and community. Thank you.

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

lol ive done this with a kindle, but I loaded everything into ram to run. However a frugal-like install with sfs being on usb device is do able, there is a setting on command line to NOT load into RAM also you could setup a LARGE save file on ipod. Not up on plop what is it?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I think PLOP on a live CD (or floppy disk) allows you to transfer the booting process from the live CD to USB, in computers that can't boot from USB natively.

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

plop deserves more study. The developer has some other tools that look useful ( android stuff ) I have always wondered if linux could be made the bootloader like for multisession where it could switch to a newer kernel if found in a multisession folder. This may be the way with a bit of an addion to plop. :)

Unsought_insight

I think this is what I'm looking for

#5 Post by Unsought_insight »

I found this link that I think describes how to do what I'm talking about.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 99&t=90516

Will this wreck the ipod? This doesn't really matter that much, but I just wondered if apple has some crazy formatting on the ipod.
(If this doesn't work out can I reformat the ipod, dump all the old ipod content back on it, and have a working ipod again?)

Anyway I don't care about the ipod that much, so I'll watch this a bit and give it a go.

Distro recommendations?

Will this make performance better?
(I keep getting crashes in firefox on pages with lots of media. Not sure if this is actually a ram problem or some flash issue.)

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

(I keep getting crashes in firefox on pages with lots of media. Not sure if this is actually a ram problem or some flash issue.)
Could be ram, Firefox version, flash version, internet connection speed, etc...

Start a new topic if you want to try and figure it out.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)