Why is this strange IP address in Network connections?

For discussions about security.
Atle

#211 Post by Atle »

just the arrogant post from this Hayden should be enough to move away from his "innocent site"...

If I was NSA or CIA boss, I would completely infiltrate communities like this.

Meshworks

So is my puppy COMPROMISED or NOT?

#212 Post by Meshworks »

So is my puppy COMPROMISED or NOT? Is the NSA on my tail?! Will a tinfoil hat protect me?

Just kidding!!!

However, there IS no need for the OS to know its external IP address. Just saying.

gcmartin

#213 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Meshworks, I hope this helps.

There are so many who come to Puppyland who may have missed its beginnings and why certain events occur as they do.This thread started with a concern that somehow knowing whether one is connected to the internet is provides an attack vector.

Puppy began as a simple, small, single PC that competed with Knoppix for ease of use to uninformed Windows converts. Its beginnings and it followon attempts to address simple needs for users who may NOT have in-depth skills in Linux, package use, LAN setup, Wifi use, filesystem structures, etc for a user community when dialup is/was a prevalent means for connecting to the internet as well as DSL and Cable modem and router configuring. Puppy has taken great strides to make this all too simple for non-literate users. It ranks well with other operating systems and may be one of the simplest, and safe around.

What it does, and I think most admit, it does very well is to take a PC and make steps so that its easy for any user to know his PC can get to the internet to allow access to Puppy forum,Puppy packages, Puppy help files, and other internet searches that just about everyone in the world does who has a PC, today.

In order to make it easy, for a PC to know it is on the internet, it MUST be able to route internet requests.

Here's where this thread has its beginnings and its concern.

Reading through this thread, you will find differing viewpoints, but, you will ALSO see the efforts that senior members in the community have taken to address a concern that a better way to handle that decision process could be accomplished. It has been addressed.

BUT, should you see how that solution has somehow exposed your PC to something dastardly, PLEASE SHARE HOW YOU WERE EXPOSED so that the community can address it...please.

Hope this helps

Smithy

#214 Post by Smithy »

Thinking about it, that ICANHAZIP "switch" should be the other way around, i.e
OFF as default, then switch it on as an option.

Don't know about any of these sites that won't function without the ping as rcrn51 mentioned, but any sites that I find that just appear blank without excessive javascript or even made in flash (wtf) just get a pass from me. Can't be bothered with glam rubbish like that, the internet is just a reference library. That's how I see it.
Mind you that links browser is, a bit too minimalistic :)
Tell me why, I don't like Mondays..