Introducing gmould

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
jpeps

#16 Post by jpeps »

afifio wrote:
I really need a working treeview :(
Maybe you could check in with Thunor over in the GtkDialog Development thread.

matiasbatero

#17 Post by matiasbatero »

Nice Project!!

I'm installing gtkdialog with gtk3 on my crunchbang debian... in a few hours i'll test your app.

I will have more consolidated suggest later. But looking your screenshots, it seems some complex. Personally i like your GUI, looks good and very pretty. I prefer another concept to write gui's with gtkdialog, for example based on bash functions, with capability to draw inside or drawing to external xml using redirection. Personally when time pass, i forget some widget attribute tags and values, so i develop with gtkdialog-wiki.
Months ago, i had a idea to build a "GUI-maker" using YAD tree widget with editable fields, to solve this.

PD: Sos de Argentina?

afifio

#18 Post by afifio »

Thats the main idea, bash spit out xml. but later, you will need more and more and before you know it, its much better to write xml.

I do favor bash generated xml on runtime, but now I'm limiting it only for the extended components. If you downloaded it, have look at the manager dialogs, specifically gmTreeview. I extend the common treeview to export full row and etc etc etc. The "usual stuff", now just issuing
gmTreeview $varname
and you get the whole thing and its extendable if needed. I call it - components, its should be available to all gtkdialog developer to use and its settings should be easily configurable through gmould. Sort of commdlg.dll in windows.

In future I expect to extend a few more widget, but, gmould still not mature enough,- yet :):)

The benefits is - better looking and more capable components.
Here are the list of components I would like to create (but not enough time):-

Create the Accordion - like MSOutlookbar
Deprecating the entrybox and use comboboxentry(improved of course)
Better preferences dialog - generic of course.
Toolbar editor
TabMenu editor (ribbon menu)
Menu editor - possibly deprecated in favour of ribbon
Help editor - can be done already, but I want to include picture also
RTF style editor - for the pango markup stuff, addition to MarkupEditor
Better common form controls (most is done already)
Improve the collapsible section, too bad , we cannot dock.
as you can see, there are lots more to be done. The problem - my interest in gmould is wobbling, maybe I move back to generating html using php :)

amigo

#19 Post by amigo »

I'm having another look at the 'easybashgui' project which features a set of functions like: ok_message "Message here"
which is then rendered in any one of:
yad, gtkdialog, kdialog, zenity, Xdialog, dialog, or whiptail or plain console

He has a good concept there which could also be extended to use an voice/audio or other interface. Here are the supported functions:
alert_message
text
question
input
menu
tagged_menu
list
fselect (= "file select" )
dselect (= "directory select" )
wait_seconds
wait_for
terminate_wait_for
progress
adjust

Of course, these are all pretty simple functions. gtkdialog can use complex gui with many widgets which might be difficult to implement using the other tools. Perhaps that is because we tend to imagine the interface according to the way it will look -instead of how it will function.

I've seen some really hideous tools using gtkdialog here in the forum. Some sort of re-usable templates should help to fight such things.

Just to show what I mean about hideous and poorly-conceived tools. One fellow posted a thing which would show a box, maybe 300x400 pixels, and filled with just buttons. No menu, or panels or anything except buttons -all with names; whizpup, do it, backtrack, chirp, sjdzegrbt, Whack! and other such! Can you imagine such a thing? And then, another fellow posted to congratulate him on the great, clean design! Combine that with a garbled name like whizbangipuppify253 and a murkily-expressed purpose for the program "This beauty whangs your puppified do-hickey instead of thingifying your 'do it' whang, like the standard puppy does. (Update: since version whizbangipuppify253-beta-alpha-omega0.7.111a, whizbangipuppify253 can now also thingify your 'do it' whang jut like the standard puppies. (I had **lots*** of people PM'ing me asking me to restore this behavior.) So, now just by booting with the whizbangipuppify253=restore-old-behavior and then clicking 37 checkboxes in the (New!) WhizBangiPuppify253PersonalPreferences tool. (Sorry, I still haven't created a *.desktop file to start the WBP253PP(WhizBangiPuppify253PersonalPreferences) app from the menu or clicking an icon, so you'll have to start it from the command-line in terminal-thingy or whatever you call it."

Then, two hours later the OP posts again and has completely re-written the thing (From Scratch!) -but don't worry about your old settings after having run 'WBP253PP', because he has now written a GUI to convert your old settings file (/usr/root/share/bin/application/my-stuff/WBP253PP/menu/setting/etc/local/share/app/WBP253PP.conf) into the new format and location at: .... surely I need not tell you where the new conf file is, right?? You already know because you've been watching the thread and testing the tool, too. Right? LOL LOL

afifio

#20 Post by afifio »

Yeap, easy bash gui is good. I dont think gmould can compete with it yet. I can rip the code, but I dont think that what I want with gmould. gmould meant for gtkdialog, although we can modify it to generate html or any other markup or codes.

Developing with gui, is different from processing from command line. gmould is not for the "Please insert your name" entrybox with Ok button. Its not meant to be use for that, we all can conjure up a bash function to create a button instead of using the whole load of gmould to do that. Hoewever, when you start developing larger apps, gmould will help you create it faster and better. For a bigger project, you probably will appreciate gmould. For smaller project gmould will still help, not much though.

The bad thing is - the big application already done and done and redone again, and they take helluva of resource to perform what gtkdialog do for nickel.

Different tool for different job. Looking at its small niche, I do wonder if people will use gmould at all ? :):):)

amigo:Dont worry! gmould can create the desktop awareness for you! LOL. Hmmm I really have to look at the NewProjectWindow, but its not that important.

blog update - reason to use action group.

Offtopic - Now my laptop is getting hot again, still no processor fan probably because of Transmission and Seamonkey running :(

DaVinci

What happened

#21 Post by DaVinci »

This looked like promising software and then poof. Developer disappeared. gmail down. What happened?